1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

An amusing bit of trivia, and no evidence whatsoever that it's true in YJ- but in the comics Aquaman does in fact have telekinesis. Only time I can recall him using it is to enhance Black Canary's sonic scream as a combo attack.

Probably powered by the Clear like his marine telepathy.

2. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

expanded
    No, the SI just used bad grammar.
    Thank you, corrected.

3. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

With all the ultimate power that is common sense, the Light might specifically target CS!OL specifically due to A)him being far too effective and B) catching a small dose of common sense from him opening his mouth around them or their spies

Cuchulin likes this.
  4. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

If they did blackmanta would have gotten scry and die a while ago, so either they don't or he has some magic to shield him since he is an agent in the employment of ocean master aka Prince Orm.

But good effort on everything else.

5. Xmaster3000

Xmaster3000 Know what you're doing yet?

I think it's "grant rise", not "grant risk".

6. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

7. WereDragon

WereDragon Bookwyrm

Ah, my favourite department. This time shown scuttling one of the stupider plots in YJ.

8. Tzeentch

Tzeentch I trust you know where the happy button is?

Rereading this, from the Nehekharan perspective on the nature of the soul, the young lady had her "Kha", her mortal shell fully restored, but lacks the "Ka", her ego, ability to reason, and have abstract thought, the "Ba", her subconscious self and emotions, and the "Ab", her Conscience, her ability to choose right from wrong.

While the Liche Priests ARE rather lacking in transmuting dead flesh to living flesh, (unless they figure out how to perform such a feat through ritual/divine magic by observing how Paul does it), I imagine they have methods and means to restore those lost or diminished portions of the handmaiden's "Akhu."

Perhaps by learning and using her "Ren", her True Name?

9. Threadmarks: Maladaptive (part 10)
    Mr Zoat

22nd July 2012
    19:15 GMT

'lE˥5 ˥Ħ1H'

I frown at the clock radio.

"Have you tried answering it?"

Gemma Masters shakes her head. "Uncle John always said that if anything tried talking to me I should get rid of it and phone him right away."

"Get rid of it then phone him, or phone him and get rid of it if reasonably practical?"

She's staring at the clock. "Yeah, that one. What is it?"

I can feel it as her father stares at the back of my head. I was allowed in because Zauriel has officially okayed me, but Anthony Masters is one of many people who aren't at all happy about the fact that magic use is working its way into the mainstream. It's not even an Anglican thing, really. The High Church strand of Anglican thought has pretty much accepted the Catholic outlook on magic, and that's the trend that's currently dominant in the Church of England. But the Archbishop of Canterbury is stuck moderating the increasingly vacuous-. Vicious arguments between that portion of the Anglican Communion and the Evangelical wing which really doesn't.

"How long have you had this clock?"

"Six years. So it's not a century spirit."

"Those-. That's not exactly how it works."

She glances at me, rolling her eyes.

"I know."

"But you're right. It hasn't developed an arcane presence on its own. Something's acting through it, and-."

"Then we'll burn it." Mr. Masters walks around me and reaches out to-.

"Please don’t do that."

He stops, but he looks even less happy. "What? Burning will get rid of whatever it is, won't it?"

"It will stop it communicating through the clock, yes, but it won't deal with the thing that's doing the communicating. And this clock isn't the only thing that's behaving like this."

"But it won't be behaving like this here anymore."

"Based on the evidence I've accumulated so far, it can manifest through any technological device. Do you have any power tools in the house? Or a vacuum cleaner?"

He sags slightly. To be fair to the man, his exposure to magic started with John Constantine and ended with the Sheeda. And the bit in the middle wasn't much fun either. Irritating as I personally find him and his, he's a basically decent man in over his head, which is a problem because given the state of the world today there's no way for him to pull his head out. The world now is very different to what it was not all that long ago. Whatever… Masquerade there was has been thoroughly destroyed.

Keeping your head down doesn't really work if you're inside the blast radius. And married to a Constantine.

"So what do we do?"

I take a rune stone out of my pouch and hold it out. A weak resonance. That could just be from the spell being used to connect the foetal god to the device. Or it could be imbued into the device itself. The only way to check without an actual magician would be to drain it and see if it kept going.

I've got plenty of sites for John Quinn to triangulate. I just had my rings monitor social media for people reporting odd events, then paid a visit if it seemed to be on brand. But none of the devices so far affected have attempted two-way communication. That could just be a matter of luck, but it could also be a sign that events are progressing towards something. Or that the god is waking up.

A clock radio doesn't have a microphone, but I can make the speakers vibrate easily enough. The question is, is it advantageous to do so?

"Have these.. things hurt anyone?"

"One man hospitalised for observation after he had a panic attack. No injuries directly inflicted. So far."

I plug orange filaments into the clock radio and generate a microphone construct, handing it to Gemma.

"It's your radio."

She looks decidedly pleased as she takes the microphone, drawing herself up slightly before putting it to her lips.

"This is Gemma. Who am I talking to?"

'HE110 CE∩∩∩∩Ħ'

"It's talking to me! It's talking to me!"

'˥HE ˥1∩∩E 15'

Gemma frowns. "What's it doing?"

'19:17'

The numbers remain on the screen.

"What?"

"It's your clock radio. It's telling you the time."

"W-? Yeah, but-? What?"

I tilt my head back, closing my eyes for a moment.

"Clocks tell their owner the time. So that's what it's doing. It got your attention and told you the time."

"But-. I thought…"

She sounds severely disappointed.

"Magic-based lifeforms don't work like organic ones. You can't assume that text indicates a human-equivalent mind any more than it does when a parrot talks."

"But how did it know my name?"

"Has your name ever been used within reach of its speakers? Or… Did you fill in a warranty?"

"I took it-." She huffs, then picks it up and turns it over. 'GEMMA' is written in indelible ink on the bottom. "I took it to Sharon's house for a sleepover."

"Oh thank God."

Mr. Masters takes his crucifix in his right hand and closes his eyes for a moment. Gemma puts the clock radio down again-.

'lE˥5 ˥Ħ1H'

"Let me guess. It's seven eighteen."

'∩0'

"What, then?"

'19:17'

Gemma rolls her eyes. "Thanks."

She starts to hand it to me-.

'1 H∩0UU UUHEĦE J0H∩ 15'

She immediately lifts the clock radio up to her face.

"Where Uncle John is? Where?!"

'C0∩∩E F1∩0 ∩∩E'

Last edited: May 7, 2021
  10. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

missing ‘is’

Pranks and riddles... such is the way of chaos.

11. Z000

Z000 If this is trash, then find me in the dumpster

oh god, John

what did you do this time, did you dump your Chaos magic stuff onto a new born god of machine

12. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Smart.

If his first exposure was due to Constantine, then it's understandable.

And the things in the middle, like Roanoke, Oceanus, the Angel invasion, Hell in Fawcett, probably didn't help.

Poor bastard.

Magnus knows how you feel.

'Where is'

Of course it would involve him.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
  13. w34v3r

w34v3r Versed in the lewd.

Ok see in the common sense verse the response would be "Fuck no, John Constantine can bloody well stay lost."

I love it when he's on screen/page causing mayhem, but one does start to wonder if it'd be better for the inhabitants of the world if he just wandered off and stayed wandered.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
  14. DiceArt

DiceArt Not too sore, are you?

I'm a be honest as soon as the clock did this I'm right there with dad and handing the fella a flame thrower after dousing the thing with holy water. It brought up John Constantine by saying it knows where he is, If it was John he'd have contacted them through something much more practical like the phone. The only conclusion I can draw is that a Demon is involved, and that's an instant nope not doing anything that thing tells me or asks me to do I'm a burn it to ash, and then any other inanimate object I own that tries to talk to me like that. Dat's some bad bad mojo.

15. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

Maybe being connected to Chaos messed with John's head? Which caused him to mess with the god-fetus to "halp"?

16. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

So the other John locked Constantine away somewhere, and Constantine woke the sleeping machine god as a way to reach out and contact people about it.

17. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Constantine doing something ill-advised and dangerous in order to offer his version of 'help' only to have it horribly backfire and cause pain, suffering and mayhem?

Sounds legit.

18. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

Indeed, his "help" may solve usually the problem but almost as often it leads to a bigger mess being created.

19. Bloodalchemy

Bloodalchemy Versed in the lewd.

He always fixes the deadly problem. In the process he creates a larger less deadly problem in its place.

20. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

Like replacing an experienced arsonist with a brushfire.

21. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

I.. am not even sure what that's saying. 'Let's talk', maybe? That is really hard to read. Therefore, I shall assume it's trying to say, "Hey, Listen!" Which makes me both respect the Machine's old-school taste, and hate it for making people think of Navi.

Sensible advice... When a Constantine is involved, things get weird. And then comes the screaming and the running and the dying...

...Typical teenager, giving a mathematician's answer without even thinking about it...

The Catholics, if you remember, are tolerant of magic unless it involves bad stuff. Like Demons. I suspect most religions are having a lot of issues working out their stances about Magic in general after the Sheeda invasion...

Before anyone says 'that sounds too smart!', remember: She's a Constantine. Not being well-read on magic stuff would be foolish. If not suicidal (in the Ankh-Morporkian sense.)

And given that she was introduced to us after an attempted abduction by lesser gluttony demons, that should not be surprising...

<sigh> Do we have to restrain you, pappy? This is an ongoing investigation. Would you pull that shit with a police officer?

Until the Machine finds something else to communicate through. Do you want the TV talking to you through the Subtitle function next?

How short-sighted... Out of sight, out of mind? Not going to work...

Indeed. Yes, he has very good reasons to be the way he is. That doesn't make it any easier to adapt, though. And there's probably a lot of people feeling the same way out there...

It's like living with a ticking time-bomb, then. One that can explode repeatedly...

The problem is, none of these things are necessarily good.

Did the car incident actually hurt anyone? Or just leave a lot of scared people and near-misses behind it?

And daddy grumbles under his breath... But it makes sense, she's the closest contact to it...

Oh, she's been waiting for something like this, has she? I have to wonder what her favourite kind of fiction is... Urban Fantasy, perhaps? Or would that feel too familiar? :p

Well, to be pedantic, it's signalling to you. No sound involved on it's part, after all.

Ever heard of the Speaking Clock? Probably before many people's times, given every smartphone these days includes an internet clock-sync...

Well, she sounds disappointed. What a let-down, eh?

Well, it's trying to be helpful. If it were a toaster (and somehow able to communicate) it's probably be asking how dark you'd like your toast.

What, you thought this would be a profound communication with something ethereal? Be glad it isn't trying to kill you. Constantine, after all.

Indeed. Everything else the Machine has touched thus far has simply tried to do its perceived job, but better.

:rolleyes: ...Ah, children.

Not sure what the crucifix could do against a god of machines. Or much else. I doubt he's pious enough to use theurgy. But hey, whatever makes him feel better...

I suspect that would wear its welcome out right quick.

Well, that was a whole waste of...

:eek: Hello! Okay, now that's important. Any reason why you couldn't lead with that, digits?

I don't know. What do you say, Admiral Ackbar?
    Ackbar: "It's A Trap!"

Well... Might we finally see John Constantine, Lord of Chaos, at last? And what part is he playing in the God of Machine's birth? Good gravy, this raises so many questions... At least we'll get some of the answers in the days to come.

Missing End Quotation mark.

22. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    She was copying what the clock radio said.

Thank you, corrected.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
  23. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

I feel a bit sorry for this Mr. Anthony Masters, but I have to be honest, I miss John's presence on the story and have been desperately waiting for his eventual return. John Quinn was a poor replacement. Effective though he was as mystical support, I prefer John Constantine, with his banter and his street magician experience. If this is his return I will be glad for it.

kerleth, Chaoswind, Ardy and 6 others like this.
  24. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I'm reminded of an episode of Supernatural where Sam, Dean and I think Castiel were pulled into the television, specifically in a Scooby-Doo show.

Things go off the rails and eventually the Scooby gang has a collective emotional breakdown and start questioning what part of the supernatural is real and even the existence of God.

I kinda want to see something similar happen here.

Familiarity breeds contempt.

You probably picked it up from Zoat.

When Paul went to see a vampire he brought along a bunch of religious symbols and she seemed to not like them there, even though Paul isn't exactly a pious man himself, or even that much of a believer.

This guy appears to have some faith so even if he can't use theurgy, some of that faith may be useful, like making said god be careful around someone that may have some protection from another, more powerful god.

25. Z000

Z000 If this is trash, then find me in the dumpster

she only not like them when she know what they meant

weirdo vampire survival instinct

Otto von Saurion likes this.
  26. webxro

webxro Benevolent Bystander

You know what a crimson red flag ? Any Constantine being invited to find on otherworldly voice

27. earlyriser

earlyriser Getting sticky.

So with this information I have a new suspect. Richard Simpson, the purple energy guy in Hell. Maybe this is him circumventing Mammon and is ascending to tech godhood, or perhaps something manifested from when he was first transformed.

28. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Actually, it would be far worse. The entire point of the Laughing Magician is for Humanity to punch over it's weight class against gods, monsters and demons.

Without John and his line humanity would have been fucked a hundred times already.

29. Dur'id the Druid

Dur'id the Druid Know what you're doing yet?

I am too. Can someone help translate 'clock speech', or tell the trick of understanding it?

kerleth and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  30. cereal_lurker

cereal_lurker Getting sticky.

Okay...

You just told your name to it? Or is the name thing something that started before she introduced herself?

With the connection with John firmly established, it seems like the nascent god of tech may have been how John was casting his "erase all significant information about me" spell. And the last time he cast that, he did so with the power of a Lord of Chaos. I wouldn't be surprised if there was some carryover influence from the burst of power.