1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Orm Embar

Orm Embar Refutation

It doesn't seem like he knows Paul's there, the tattoos block magic-based senses. It's also not clear how much of the Fate fight's aftermath is public knowledge, though maybe Simpson can get into the Justice League's servers with technopathy.

2. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

:eek: ...I'm just going remove all the size tabs, to make this commentary easier for everyone to read...
    Oh-ho, so this might still tie into the possible Machine God awakening, then. Perhaps Simpson wants to set himself up to possess the framework as it comes into its godhead, so he becomes the driving personality... In which case, Earth would be fucked.

Indeed, many a tale of that here and there in fiction. And they are indeed the lucky ones. The unlucky ones? 'Fate Worse Than Death' might well be a good description for many.

Some holiday...On the upside, she might well be able to annoy the cultists into surrender as a sort of reverse Stockholm Syndrome...

That he did. Simpson... Isn't really very good at the whole demonic bargaining thing, is he?

And that is the sort of logic you'd expect from someone dumb enough to get on the worse side of John Constantine. (Since even his good side is kind of bad...)

No, OL, that is not a cue to consider him for Orange Lantern membership...

Ugh, he's basically dangling a blank check in front of her... The one thing better than a simple carrot for getting a Constantine interested...

Oh, she'll bear watching in the future. Didn't John get his mystical start about this age? And now she's had a taste of the supernatural, it's going to be harder to convince her to give it up...

Ah, talking himself up, eh? I'm pretty sure Mammon still has enough of a hold over him to be able to rein him in.

...He's not entirely wrong. Most demons are truer to their urges and instincts than humans are...

Heh. I suppose it's a good thing for 'evil' Lawyers to have a good in with Hell. The nasty ones would end up there anyway, so why not have a fast-track out of the tortures?

I expect there are hidden clauses, enforced by magic, built into every demonic pact and contract... It's just that so few people bother to read the fine print.

...Because it's more fun to watch their contractees damn themselves by their own hand?

Ah, he's not a complete idiot, then.

Interesting. Presumably word of John Quinn's ownership of the Helmet of Fate (and thus its presumably effective status as a Lord of Order) hasn't spread far yet. It is amusing to see Constantine feared by those who would have dismissed him as a mere hedge-wizard before...

<sigh> Dangit, he's really set on getting that figurative signature down on paper, isn't he? I guess you only lose your pact-making cherry once, so you may as well make it special. :p

And what's to stop the cultists deciding to have a little.. fun with her in the meantime, eh? I doubt they know to fear the Constantine name...

Of course, he says nothing about anyone working for him... I see he's got the 'exact words' part of pact-making down to a T...

...And I see she's heard enough from John to know to be very precise in dealings with demons. Still, trying to lead him on into a situation where they can get their hands (or Constructs) on him is risky.

Oh, right, these guys are here. Almost forgot about them.

Assuming he gives two shits about them anyway. Simpson doesn't strike me as one to give much thought to cogs in his plan unless they fuck up bad.

Ah, I was hoping to see them stunned, paralysed and stacked like firewood as each group came in... :sneaky: What? It's an amusing image.

Good catch. Never sign anything with a demon, figuratively speaking, until you've read the fine print and gotten assurances.

Indeed. He's coming across as willing to say anything to get his deal.

Clever. Pin him down here for OL to snag more easily... After all, he's shown he can Brand demons easily enough, even when incarnate.

Ah, teenagers. Sceptical to a fault.

Note that's not a definite yes. Clever girl, weaving in loopholes. And Simpson's so inexperienced in pact-making, he seems to have missed it...

Pentagram optional, I suppose.

Is it unpleasantly like being drunk?
    "What's wrong with that?"
    Ask the glass of water...

Got to love dumb enemies. They just blunder into traps so easily. It helps that Simpson seems to be very overconfident, which suggests he had a halfway-decent plan for.. whatever he was doing that he didn't want John sticking his nose into. Wonder if any other demons are being as cautious around the empowered Laughing Magician...

3. Twilight666

Twilight666 I trust you know where the happy button is?

4. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He's fairly new at being a demon.

His bad side is like drinking flesh-eating acid.

His good side is like drinking horse piss.

Both are just different degrees of terrible.

Somehow I think he's going to see it as being a cue.

There's also cheep booze, cheep cigarettes and potentially illegal drugs.

But he's still a massive idiot.

I think Quinn mentioned he's not a Lord, so he may just be an extremely powerful Order magician now.

I just threw up a bit in my mouth after reading this.

Simpson may have told them not to do it unless they want to become something like servitors from 40k.

5. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

Indeed. Even Satanus hated having to deal with him when he was just a street magician.

Yanno, once Simpson is physically present, there's nothing stopping OL from assimilating his ass.
    It should be done just on general principals because that guy is too stupid to live.

6. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He may be resistant to assimilation or branding.

The guy is a powerful demon and could either fight through Paul’s attempts or he may have precautions in case someone tries to enslave him.

Paul managed to brand Mammon because he was imprisoned by Satanus and had some of his power siphoned off, so he wasn't at his strongest.

Relyt33 and Cuchulin like this.
  7. PrinceJonathan

PrinceJonathan Versed in the lewd.

I can't help but wonder what he's trying to do. It doesn't sound like anything malicious, but still something John would try to stop if he knew about it.

"Do you have any idea the hoops one has to go through to get a PS5 in Hell?!"

8. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

That is not what happened.

Klarion was only susceptible to having his Lord of Chaos status ganked because he lost his original familiar and formed a second familiar relationship. The story was explicit about this.

Nabu never did that, making him completely and totally immune to having his Lord of Order status stolen by that ritual.

Instead Nabu was effectively lobotomized.

So whoever has the helmet has a free conduit to the realm of order, making them effectively a lord of order as long as they have the helmet to use as a conduit because it still has Nabu's soul and hence his connection to the realm of Order in it.

Hence how Quinn became the effective Lord of Order by getting the helmet from Constantine, because Constantine couldn't handle the conflicting energies according to Quinn himself.

If the Lord of Order status was innate to Constantine, then Paul would have known that Quinn was lying becuase his cover story would have been impossible nonsense.

So if Quinn is lying, which remains to be seen, he wasn't lying about the helmet being the condiut to Order.

9. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I think Paul knows that Quinn isn't a Lord of Order, and I think Quinn told him this.

Constantine may not have the Helmet anymore but he's probably still in possession of Order Magic and is considered a Lord of Order and while the Helmet may not grant the wearer the status of Lord of Order, it still probably makes them extremely powerful.

I think Zoat also mentioned that John is still having difficulty with getting the two magics to work together, and this is long after he gave up the Helmet.

And several characters in the story have called him a Lord of Order and Chaos.

Constantine was probably desperate and gave up the Helmet thinking it would help him, but no such luck.

10. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

In this very episode.

John isn’t a Lord of Order, Occam’s Razor says that Simmons or whatever his name is is working off of flawed information.

11. Sorrow

Sorrow Getting sticky.

12. Massgamer

Massgamer Not too sore, are you?

Is Richard trying to become a technology god to get out of being a demon? It sounds like he is planning to not be one anymore.

13. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I think his info may be correct.

John has been stated to be a Lord of Order and Chaos before if I remember correctly, so his info may be correct.

Relyt33 likes this.
  14. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Blue Devil got retconned in that story. The lawyer won the case, but because there was critical information he didn't have he couldn't get the level of compensation his client wanted.

15. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Yeah, demons are not fae, they may have to stick to the letter of an agreement but outside said agreement they can lie.

16. Hell's Razer

Hell's Razer Passive Member

She is a true Constantine alright. This is a classic Constantine plot, if with better backup and support than they usually have (i.e. the fact that she has any).

17. Nero200

Nero200 Magus (derogatory)

To be fair, John often has backup.
    It's the fact that OL will survive being a Constantines backup that makes this anything other than a usual go of things.

18. FreeGod

FreeGod If you see a God on the road fuck it!

Paul is almost as scary. Or even more so he has alot more backup.

Gilhelmi, Relyt33 and Cuchulin like this.
  19. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

And he'll also not be maimed and will keep his sanity!

Well, as much sanity as he had.

Bramble Thorn, Relyt33 and Cuchulin like this.
  20. Enochi

Enochi Having way to much fun with AI.

Hmm I'm guessing Ritche is trying to become the new god of Technology.

Gilhelmi, Relyt33, Cuchulin and 2 others like this.
  21. PROTOTYPElu2

PROTOTYPElu2 Earth-shatteringly, Unreasonably, Fuck-ass Horny

I don’t think that kidnaping the niece of the man that butchered an Angel, before he gained a huge power boost, is a smart idea my dude.

Vorian, Relyt33 and Cuchulin like this.
  22. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Technically a bunch of other people, like Chantinelle the succubus, the First of the Fallen, and Gabriel's Angel brethren, did most of the butchering.

23. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

I wonder how powerful theFirst, Second and Third of the fallen were compared to Constantine: Lord of order and chaos.

24. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I'm thinking that they were all more powerful than him.

25. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

So, is it a Constantine thing to Order an extra large stupid with stupid sauce?

If not for the green, your avatar makes me think of Diggory making out with Potter.

I almost approve.

Anyway, is it just a rule that literally everyone in a Hellblazer is some varying form of really stupid?

26. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Yes.

And don't forget the chopped dumbass.

I know that Garth Ennis once wrote some Hellblazer comics, so probably.

Frank Iannetta, Relyt33 and Cuchulin like this.
  27. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

From the very first episode that John Quinn showed up in-

So the braindead Nabu is the connection to the plane of Order.

So why would Constantine still have the connection to Order when he doesn't have the helmet that has Nabu in it?

And of course Paul knows that Quinn isn't a lord of order, the brain dead Nabu is the Lord of Order.

28. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Because he could have formed one by himself by accident and no longer requires the Helmet to channel magic from the Plane of Order.

29. cereal_lurker

cereal_lurker Getting sticky.

Quite possibly the most Orderly he's ever been.. unchanging, unflappable, totally unaffected by the chaos of the world around him. An case study of perfect uniformity in character. Is Nabu now more powerful than ever?

Drawing power from the Plane of Order results in a power up. Drawing more power would influence you to be more Orderly until ultimately you sit down and simply stop. I assume Lords of Order generally fall into the 'determinism' side of philosophy and will refute the chaos that is 'Free Will'. Everything must be set and follow a set of determined patterns and influences.

30. cereal_lurker

cereal_lurker Getting sticky.

Is this a question of power scale? We saw in the Renegade timeline that Mordru could cast and use some Order-aligned magicks despite being a Lord of Chaos with no particular connection to the plane at all.

Chaoswind, Cuchulin and Relyt33 like this.