1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

There's a way to do most things, but Hephaestus isn't a human with a mis-healed leg-break. It would take a great deal of magic to alter him like that and make it stick.

2. transhumansage

transhumansage Versed in the lewd.

ancient smiths developed lameness due to by arsenic exposure from metalworking. or bronzeworking more specifically. modern smiths dont suffer this due to advanced medical science and prevention. im not saying they are completely immune to injury. this image stuck with the image of the smith so Hephaistos' lameness.

i think the magical cost could be lowered by reinventing the image of the modern smith maybe? since the gods were originally born of man.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
    zeebza and Handlewithcare like this.
  3. Mr Zoat

That's one possible approach, except that there aren't that many modern smiths.

4. transhumansage

transhumansage Versed in the lewd.

true. but would the DIY communities count? hephaustaus was also the god of craftsman and artisans.

zeebza, Cuchulin and Handlewithcare like this.
  5. cereal_lurker

cereal_lurker Getting sticky.

There is a cornucopia of modern Smiths.

6. Flightless Man

Flightless Man Versed in the lewd.

I think this is a rural and/or hipster thing. Because I have several friends or family with a forge but I live in a farming communty. You really only make money doing cutlery so it's got a lot of 2-5 year veterans who get bored they can't make weapons legally and so quit (I made a misshapen plate in my dad's). only a handfull get to make replica/prop weapons. Machines forge/cast basically everything else so it's an industry with a real bottleneck of talent.

7. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Hm. If a single ancient god would dissolve,how about a New God?

Or something Ascended?

A global AI plus New God soul granted by a Motherbox should do the trick...and after a merger with the soul of Technology would be The Singularity personified, so ridiculously powerful even Paul would be hard pressed to counter it.

On second thought, let's put this in the "maybe" foulder.

Vorian and Cuchulin like this.
  8. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Sounds about right, havent grown into mine yet.

9. Mr Zoat

That'll give you a crowbar to help when you lever the ox into your skull.
    That's probably wisest.

10. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

Alright, stick with me, we gon' science this shit up.

First you use some Atom tech to grow yourself, making your skull bigger then the God-Ox.

Then, you magic the God-Ox into a liquid form/Gaseous form for improved malleability.

Finally, you inject the God-Ox goodness into your now enlarged skull. Wait 20 minutes for it to settle, have a brownie. If someone put nuts in the shit, kill that heretic.

You may or may not have to wrestle the God-Ox's spirit into submission upon the Astral plane.

11. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

His first clue chronological clue about what might happen in that Gate universe.

Also: Hades can just do that?!?

Cuchulin and zeebza like this.
  12. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

Yo, Mr Zoat
    Isn't the person he just called in (Angelica) the rebranded Demon Blaze?
    And everything you are saying about Richard applicable to her?
    (No one wants a celestial demon running loose?)
    He seems to want to use the tabula rosa tech god to stop being a demon the same way she used the wings.

Why say one is OK and not the other?

Doccer and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  13. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

Doesn't Zeus have another god stuck in his noggin, which you made canon to this story?

OL asking about is the greeks had a god of 'X' and god a response of 'not anymore'
    And that goddess was the one who was fated to give birth to the one who would overthrow Zeus, and he ate her the same way his father ate the Olympians? Because Zeus is that much of a failure at pattern recognition?

Also, is the problem that the solution OL is suggesting is ass backwards.
    It sounded like Richard planned to stick himself into the new God.
    So if this god is so much bigger then Hephaestus, shouldn't he be doing the same thing?
    Shove the forge god into the Tech gods head, because of course it wouldn't fit in his head.

Cuchulin likes this.
  14. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

At the time they needed an anti-demon weapon, so Blaze became that.

And while it would be very helpful to have a tech god working with them, they're not exactly in a hurry to have that happen because there's no pressing need for one.

That still leaves the possibility of the tech god subsuming Hephaestus and killing him in the process.

Cuchulin likes this.
  15. Mr Zoat

Angelica got fruit of the knowledge of the tree of good and evil. Plus, as a demon, she didn't really have any sense of right and wrong. Richard was a human. The SI encountered Angelica when she was weak and hiding. Richard was actively messing with technology on a global scale.
    Yes, Zeus ate Metis.
    Richard was desperate. He didn't know for certain that what he was trying to do would work.

16. quietwhile

quietwhile Getting out there.

I'm wondering.. Mr Zoat, how are you defining the concept of technology in regards to this god's domain?

I'm asking because it can be defined as broadly as 'the instrumentalization of a thing'/'means to an end', in a way that would also include A LOT. It'd encapsulate weapons/martial arts, language/writing, capitalism, magic.. Photosynthesis could be seen as "plant technology" for exemple. Hell, if you look at it a certain way how one views the world is a kind of technology. .. So, while this is based on comics and I'm not exactly expect deleuzean concepts of machine to be used, and the story so far has shown more literal definitions of machine, I can see why it would be a Titan if you lean a bit in that direction. I can certainly see why it would seem so big for Vulcan and the other one, they would feel like the metaphysical ground they stand on is moving on its own. And it would certainly shake the domains of A LOT of other gods out there (like Hermes for example)

For reference, this concept of technology is not very different from what African Orixa's Ogun, whose domain is the forge but also in a way includes the drum instruments, the way one prepares the offerings or even the actual cutting technique used for sacrificing animals.

DrThoth, Handlewithcare and Cuchulin like this.
  17. Threadmarks: Maladaptive (supplementary, Renegade Option)
    Mr Zoat

25th July 2012
    19:22 GMT

"…observation for now, though We have high hopes that Our niece will begin participating before the winter solstice."

I nod as Luna and I walk through the Canterlot Palace without a particular direction in mind. It gets me used to walking with four legs, and it's actually more comfortable than sitting or laying down.

"I thought that her talent was in the field of empathy?"

"She is an alicorn. Though she lacks Our natural intuition, she has the power to control the heavens if she applies herself to it, and both Sister and I agree that you are correct in your assertion that others must be trained to fulfil our roles. Twilight hath already progressed to actively working with Our Sister on the dawn… Though she struggles to rise at an appropriate hour."

I smile.

"Yeah, I heard about that."

"And I am sure that Sunset keeps you informed of her progress."

"I'm fully confident of Sunset's ability to master any spell that interests her, so I generally don't bother to ask her about that aspect of their time together. I just ask about how she feels about Celestia, and feed back to Celestia about what to do and.. not do."

Luna nods.

"We thought that We had heard less shouting of late."

"And what about the other little ponies?"

Luna shakes her head.

"None who are not alicorns could hope to bear the burden. Even Twilight, who before her ascension was the most powerful unicorn in Equestria, would not have been able to perform such a feat."

"So the thing about pre-Exodus unicorns performing the raising in groups is just a story?"

"We could not say. Having read your book on stellar dynamics, We have reached the view that it is not impossible that Discord is indeed to blame for the state of our geocentric system. From what Our archaeologists have discovered of those times, pony astronomy was not much advanced. T'would be natural for them to assume that the motion of the sun had it orbit around our firmament, while modern ponies would need to reach for an explanation of who moved the sun before Our Sister's ascension."

"What did Discord say?"

She wrinkles her nose as if bearing fragrant witness to a pile of dung.

"He ducked the question, then fled when We mentioned your name. Mayhap… You could consider…"

"I'm going to want to see a lot more evidence of reformation before I consider tolerating Discord."

"But you will consider it?"

"I will. Don't tell him. Just let me know if he makes any actual measurable progress." I frown. "Oh, and going back to Twilight's lessons, I think Celestia tried to prank me. Which is progress. I didn't think we had that sort of relationship."

"Our Sister does have a somewhat unique sense of humour. What did she do?"

"She said that she agreed with me about the whole 'single point of failure' argument, and wanted to know what I thought about training Twilight up for executive office as well as controlling the sun and moon."

"We do not see the prank. Twilight Sparkle is a highly capable young mare, and far better educated in such matters than either Our Sister or I were when we ascended to alicornhood."

"Last time Twilight got put in charge of the country she personally went looking for you in a forest full of magic resistant super vines, completely ignoring the actual running the country part. Look, how much administrative experience does Twilight have?"

"She has been instrumental in running several celebratory events in Ponyville."

I sigh.

"You do not consider that adequate?"

"Luna, you were 'running' a feudal nation of a few thousand ponies. Equestria is a lot bigger, more centralised and more complicated than that these days, and… Twilight's roles as librarian and arcane trouble shooter don't really lend themselves to allowing her to study all of the fields that she would have to master in order to run a country. And then there's the fact that… Neither her skills nor her personality really lend themselves to the role. And then there's the fact that she'd have to move back to Canterlot full time-."

"Perhaps we have decided to take your suggestion and move the capital."

"Ponyville isn't ready to become Equestria's capital. Even if you could turn Twilight's crystal palace into a centre of government, it doesn't have the population or infrastructure. If you wanted to put the capital somewhere else, it's… Basically just Manehattan that could serve in the role, and that's on the east coast. And even worse for taking Twilight away from her friends."

I close my eyes for a moment.

"So Celestia wasn't pranking me?"

"We hath not discussed it betwixt ourselves. We had thought that it would be a natural progression of Twilight's role, though We take your point concerning her character."

"Training Twilight so that she can handle things in the short term if the two of you get nobbled isn't a terrible idea, when anyone who does anything against you will get the pleasure of my company within a short span of time. But actually governing long term? I'm not so sure."

"What would be your suggestion?"

"How about actually developing a legislature? Most places in Equestria already elect their mayors rather than bowing to feudal lords. Ponies understand voting for their leaders."

"Excuse Us if we are surprised to hear the Alicorn of Conquest suggest sharing power."

"It's the only practical way to get things done. And I'm not Darkseid."

"Ah-. Your pardon, We did not-."

"No, it's-. It's fine." She looks at me and I smile. "But as far as I'm concerned, you have to involve people in their governance. Not everyone's going to care about everything that happens, but citizenship requires commitment to the institutions of the state you're a part of. If right, to keep them right, and if wrong, to set them right. Having an all-powerful goddess tyrant isn't the cause of the problems in the Equestrian state, but it's a contributory factor. Another is that Celestia's nearly good enough to pull it off."

"You say that Our Sister's mere adequacy is a problem?"

"Britain effectively switched from being a constitutional monarchy to a parliamentary democracy due to Queen Victoria just not doing her job for years on end. New customs and practices evolved to work around the absence of the ruler, creating a new system for running the country. The fact that Celestia's always there means that Equestria's never done that, never needed to work around her absence. And…" I stop walking and bow my head. "It appears that I can't get through even one date without turning it into a lecture on modern Equestrian politics."

"You lasted marginally longer this eve. What hath occurred on Earth of late?"

"Ancient wizard attacked my friend Cranius's home and killed some people. Everyone's on alert, but we're probably not going to find him before he lets us." I shake my head. "This really isn't setting the tone I was going for."

"We are both political figures of note. Tis no surprise that such matters are the subject of our discussions."

"Yes, but I got you a present, and I wanted… Something lighter. Maybe something cultural."

She looks me over.

"We do not see any gift."

"No it's not here. Mother Box."

"Ping!"

BOOM!

We stroll through the tube, emerging in a clearing just ahead of the Castle of the Two Sisters.

Luna blinks, staring at the entirely reconstructed fortress.

"Obviously I had no idea what the soft furnishings were like-."

Her tail flicks me in the nose as she prances forward, smiling excitedly. Then she charges for the drawbridge, and I gallop after-.

I get up and gallop after her.

Last edited: May 7, 2021
  18. Mr Zoat

The great thing about Chekov's gun is that I don't have to tell you what calibre it is.

19. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Hm? How would Luna not know? Celestia taking over was the moment the group raising stopped?

Also, it turns out that Grayven falling over in pony form will never not be funny to me.

20. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Either change it to 24th or add 25th over the link in the spoiler box.

'makes'

At least you two seem to agree on these things.

21. Dan O'von

Dan O'von Not too sore, are you?

I wish I could like this twice. If I was ever on this site in desktop I'd sig this.

Is this a quote or your usual pithy self?

22. Mr Zoat

They grew up in a time where Discord did whatever the heck he wanted with the sun.
    Thank you, corrected.
    I'm not aware of it being a quote, though the ideas involved are obvious enough that someone else might have come up with it independently.

23. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

And doing it in Equestrian form makes it easier to stand on a similar level to them. Not so easily done as an eight-foot-tall humanoid. And horses usually do handle being afoot better than resting. Even those more used to standing on two legs, it seems. :p

Heh. Of course the bookworm likes to sleep in, eh? Or just up too late studying? It seems some things don't change even when you gain phenomenal cosmic power...

Let me guess, a very late dawn and many confused animals and ponies?

And letting Sunset vent about the latest boneheaded (to her) move Celestia made, of course? Anything to prevent a repeat of her biggest blow-up, I suppose... Though it would be kind of tough to beat running away to another planet, possibly in another universe.

Ah, you never expect the serious ones to be so good at snark. :cool:

They carry on as they ever do, eh?

I wonder if that 'burden' bit is more than a metaphor. I mean, a Sun large enough to illuminate the whole planet would have to be fairly massive, even if not overly large.

Something of a Chicken and Egg conundrum, eh? Who came first? The Alicorn or the Solar procession?

Hey now, just because he's a little freaky doesn't mean you need to say he stinks... Though you could probably post a pic of that face with the meme, "It was as if she were looking at walking excrement." On the Internet back on Earth...

Short of depowering him violently, anyway. I see Discord's still taking that threat of a little poke with the Sword of the Fallen seriously.

...That depends on your definition of a prank, I think. o_O What happened?

...Uh, G-man? She wasn't joking. That actually happens in canon, in the end...

And yes, that actually happened too. To the point of using the Elements against them... Methinks Twilight needs lessons in delegation.

Managing a party night or a celebration festival do not a good queen make...

In other words, It's too large a job for a single Alicorn. Unless you go the bureaucratic route and have her as the figurehead of an entire government... But that can lead to its own problems (Looking at you, pre-twentieth-century China!)

Unless they want to relocate. But most of them are too invested locally. The Apple farm for example... Quite the conundrum...

Ah, light dawns on marble-head.

Of course, the ponies would hardly notice. 'After all, Celestia's always been there. Of course she always will be, won't she?' Her retiring would be like Mount Canterlot vanishing, in terms of unthinkable to the people... Such is a drawback of nigh-immortal rulers.

The challenge would be managing such a parliament on a large scale. If the delegates live in their precincts, they'd have to spend unreasonable time wherever the group would meet. If they live in a parlimentary city, then they'd fall out of touch with their constituents... Never mind the election process across a country the size of Equestria.

Especially since he's more Acquisition than Conquest proper. He understands when to let his followers handle themselves and when to step in...

Although not quite perfect enough. Otherwise Nightmare Moon would never have come to pass. I get the feeling she's been in charge so long that even she feels a little reluctant to loosen the reins.

Well, you clearly feel so strongly on the matter, of course you feel the need to expound on alternatives.

:p What kind of tone were you hoping to set, Casanove?

Methinks the present alone would have been sufficient. But as always, Grayven second-guessing himself and overthinking things when he shouldn't.

You know that's hardly an impediment, between two power rings and Boom/Hush tubes...

"Finally! I thought you were going to waffle on forever!"

Oooh, has someone been doing some home improvement? Making a little love shack? ;)

I do hope you at least furnished the bedroom, G-man.

Oh, don't worry. I'm sure the lady can accommodate a clumsy oaf like you. Just do keep ruining the romantic tone of the piece... :p

Heh. Nice to see some action on that front. Well, presumably off-screen action, unless that's something for another thread. x3 Still, There's a lot for Luna to pass on to her sister and fellow Alicorns. Things they're going to have to consider, especially if Sunset continues with her plan to ascend other Alicorns. Like, the issue of managing the political side of things. But that's for another time, I suspect...

24. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He kinda showed up on Earth 16 before the series ended.

Me thinks a romantic one.

He is a Paul, so overthinking shit comes with the package.

She probably isn't so used to them, so doesn't pay them much mind.

25. Mr Zoat

I've been writing this story for seven and a half years.

I was just thinking 'how long has it been? Three or four?'. Nope. Seven and a half.

Huh.

26. theaceoffire

theaceoffire Versed in the lewd.

*Everybody and everything.

27. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

Speaking of, Mr Zoat, I noticed that Paul told Haephestus about how Vulcan used to be a volcano god. I don't know if you're aware, but ηφαίστειο (from which the name Ήφαιστος/Hephaestus derives) also means volcano in Greek. So it's probably a pre split thing and not a Vulcan-specific quirk.

Bramble Thorn likes this.
  28. Senevri

Senevri Not too sore, are you?

So, longer than the time skip?
    That being said, I'm only a couple of episodes in on YJ S2, so no rush....

Relyt33 likes this.
  29. jasonh23761

jasonh23761 Not too sore, are you?

I discovered this story sometime in 2014 or so when the archive was a dozen pages. It has been a pretty consistent part of my daily routine ever since. I was in high school and now I'm post college age.

What a ride it has been! Ups and downs included.

30. Wheenesss

Wheenesss Versed in the lewd.

What are you going to do if you make it to a ten year anniversary? :V

Prince Charon, Ardy, Relyt33 and 2 others like this.