1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

2. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'as people in some'

Either a pride thing of not wanting to swear on another god, or some actual mystical significance.

'it is a'

So he didn't swear because of religious reasons.

'framed'

Several.

And people tend to remember the more positive aspects of myths.

Assuming they even heard the bad ones.

Her daughter is apparently in command of Greece in an alternate universe the SI visited.

She has the Spear of Destiny and is married to Sally Sonic.

Ah, a religious bigot.

And it's a reduced religion, not a dead one.

And with that Hades priestess preaching, it probably will become less and less reduced.

So something similar to what the Amazons of Earth -14 did.

Make demigods to get power.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
  3. doug89

doug89 Versed in the lewd.

4. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

expending --> expanding (unless it's denoting an accent?)

5. goricnac

goricnac I trust you know where the happy button is?

This is Plutos secret identity, Paul met with him a long time ago. He took over the greek ministry of finance and basically stopped the 2008 financial crisis and steered greece into economic stability since the 1980s. He didn't swear on the bible cause a greek god swearing to a source based faith is awkward

6. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I know who he is.

7. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Very pragmatic.

And let's be honest: how many men or women would say no to sex with literal gods, with thousands of years of experience of roling in the hay?

Is the EU not a thing here? Feels like they would cooperate and invest in super protection together.

Also, I feel all Paul would need to do is share some of the energy sources he has access to. Super cheap electricity would turbo charge any economy, no?

8. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

International cooperation has been difficult since the Sheeda attacked and many, many countries are struggling.

And Paul has shared some of his energy sources already, like the Bleed Generator.

And the Cosmic Convertor is in the market.

Sadly Savage owns it.

9. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Ooh, a non-SI perspective? How rare! And from Ploutus, the God of Wealth. To remind folks: He's been going about the modern world as a professor of Economics whose theories and opinions carry enough weight to influence the government.

He's also the reason this Greece is in better financial shape than our own. No arguments please, it's pretty well within Rule 8's period...

Not surprising people are preferring to stay home after a world-wide war... And any local superheroes probably got killed fighting Sheeda... Not looking good for the old lands.

Let me guess, he offered Lexcorp security battlesuits at a perfectly reasonable discount?

Ah, the augmentation program's got their Danner-dogs into general release?

Good to see some people are smart enough to look past the shinies.

Benefit of knowing the protagonist. Getting a foot in the door of the eventual world-wide portal network... But then, there are other economic reasons.

Especially when those 'sails' are flying fortresses full of fly-riding elves.

As long as it doesn't reach the heights of history's worst inflation crises, you should be okay. Government-enforced caps on things like staple dietary items can do that.

Once the infrastructure is more established, it'll be a lot more than a 'small volume'...

Would be kind of awkward to have a god swear to another god of a different pantheon.

I see he's not going to let his nation's economy get out of hand. Benefit of a divine ability to see the flow of money, I guess..

I'm guessing the Goddesses' Blessings prevented it from being noticed. That or the Sheeda had learned of Themyscira from legends overheard in previous harrowings and knew not to go looking.

Sounding a bit accusatory there, missus. Are you going to have a problem with a 'heathen' keeping your people from economic collapse?

There aren't many like Diana. Not in this continuity, at least. Like the Golden Age when she was simply an exceptional example of a generally superhuman Amazon society. But she's far from the only godly byblow around.

...Really? I can appreciate humour to lighten the mood, but if you're serious...

'Did not appear to know', eh? I suspect she knew exactly what it was, but diplomatically played dumb about it. After all, Herakles' less palatable acts have been whitewashed over the millennia... Even his name is overlooked in favour of the Roman 'Hercules'...

So, politely ask Themyscira if any of them would like to come serve as.. special forces for the military?

And likely easier to reach than America, barring Dolmen Gate shenanigans. A short hop by ship.

I think Hippolyta might be content with ruling the Amazons anyway. Plus, the whole issue of 'not up to date on modern politics and laws.'

Hmm... Would the goddesses expand their blessing to cover these hypothetical colonies of Themyscira? Or would they be used for those Amazons tired of such a long life and looking to return to a more normal span of years?

...Dude. Kind of showing your bias there. I'm guessing he's something of a hardline Christian...

The fellow's anger aside, that is kind of skeevy, Dimmey. I'm not sure the Themscirans would be happy with something like that either.

Yes, please do. I suppose he had to float the idea, or someone else might have, but wow.

Well, that was an interesting look into the fallout of the Sheeda invasion. I assume Greece is comparatively better off than some of their neighbours these days. Good to see another character from the earlier days of the story too. One of the few Greek gods still paying attention to the world they once dominated, and showing something of a very human concern for it.

10. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Greece as a Themyscrian protectorate..

I'm sure that Hippolyta wouldn't ask them to abandon Christianity, but they'd have to abandon their hatred of the Hellenic Gods.

Hells, if Paul and that one Priestess of Hades (gods, I forget her name), did some proslestysing, the younger generation might not be all that against it.

Aye, most people don't even know the name of the Hellenic god of the sun, and poetry. They know his Roman name instead. It's odd how much we get from the Roman version of things, even though there's access to greek stuff as well.

I wonder how much of that (in the DC verse) is a result of Darkseid talking them into splitting the pantheon in two, and various shenanagans that resulted from that?

11. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

According to Vulcan they have probably done it before, what with gods of one pantheon joining another one when their people are conquered.

Or they wanted to sack it but chose to do it later when they could afford to go up against one of the most powerful pantheons on the planet and possibly the universe.

No, she's not a bigot from what I've seen, she just made a good point that the Olympians would be unlikely to give them blessings unless they started worshipping them, either out of pride or because they needed the power boost from prayer to actually bless the entire country.

The Greek citizens would probably not be happy about having to abandon their faith, even if doing so has benefits.

And they can't afford more social unrest.

Yeah, his parents changed it to Herakles to appease Hera.

Did not work.

12. Grimnar

Grimnar Versed in the lewd.

Reason 1001 why Greece sucks.

13. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I'm betting a little from column A and a little from column B.

Because the last time a country tried to do that to its citizens it worked out so well.

That was sarcasm by the way.

Jaron, ChestBurster, Ardy and 5 others like this.
  14. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

1) That would be being right for the wrong reasons,

2) But it’s not, because it’s not eugenics in the first place, but a limited superhuman creation program if I understand correctly,

3) And a much better reason to decline would be that the project would step over the gods’ egos and they’d likely get slapped down for the hubris of playing god.

15. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

Partly because like pretty much everyone who has tried it they base it more on bigotry than any thing else and mostly focused on "reductive" Eugenics. But your point is well made.

Jaron, ChestBurster, Vorian and 4 others like this.
  16. Khettien

Khettien Perpetually confused

To be fair, the original suggestion is totally in line with Roman marriage/concubinage ethos. I don't think romance was a widespread reason for marriage until the French and English concepts of courtly love were embedded in popular culture.

17. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

Eugenics
    noun:
    The study of how to arrange reproduction within a human population to increase the occurrence of heritable characteristics regarded as desirable.

It kinda is Eugenics by the literal definition of it.

18. Pakisabi

Pakisabi Master Procrastinator

Are the Sons of Themyscira a thing here? I'm pretty sure the government of Greece would be happy to take them off their hands if the amazonians don't want them.

nick012000 and Cuchulin like this.
  19. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    It is, but Professor Prokopios has spent quite a lot of time making sure that Greece doesn't join.
    [​IMG]

jasonh23761, Ardy, Khettien and 16 others like this.
  20. w34v3r

w34v3r Versed in the lewd.

Maybe not, only half the proposed population is human.

Cuchulin likes this.
  21. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

No, that's a part of the n52 Zoat really hates.

Jaron, Cuchulin and Prince Charon like this.
  22. Pakisabi

Pakisabi Master Procrastinator

Fair enough

Cuchulin and TopHatWearer like this.
  23. DAT_NOOB

You are still doing it to increase the occurrence fo heritable characteristics regarded as desirable.

Cuchulin and TopHatWearer like this.
  24. w34v3r

w34v3r Versed in the lewd.

Yes, but that falls under the broader term of selective breeding, since it's not specific to a human population.

Because humans are such special snowflakes we need separate words for everything.

25. DAT_NOOB

The definition of species is malleable but to my understanding, if humans and greek gods can produce fertile offspring (they can) then the ancient greek gods could be considered a branch of humanity. Therefore it would be specific to a human population.

Jaron, w34v3r, Cuchulin and 5 others like this.
  26. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

I assume that Tsipras' left wing government never amounted to much in this timeline?

Also, what happened to the Greek trade fleet? It was massive, second only to Malta in Europe (including the UK) in gross tonnage and larger than even that in deadweight tonnage. Did it get destroyed more even than other fleets, proportionally speaking?

Just create an NGO with a dating app. Also, there are Hellenist revivalists in Greece even in the real world today (I even personally know some weird ones that somehow combine that belief with unorthodox Christianity), so I can't imagine that it would be too hard to find willing participants and even some funding.

I guess in a world where everyone knows that there is at least something real behind the Hellenic gods/daemons the Orthodox Church would have clung to anti-paganism much more strongly over the centuries instead of moving on to more interesting questions and letting the Greek gods become just another part of shiny history.

Because IRL Greeks learn about the Hellenic gods and mythology in 3rd class primary school.
    I'm confused. Helios is one of the gods I don't know the Roman name of and Apollo doesn't have a Roman name. Who do you mean?

Edit: Helios is Sol and I'm dumb. Still, Helios and Sol are portrayed quite differently in popular media. Helios is never more than "one of the good Titans" playing his role in the Hellenic pantheon while Sol often crosses into Sol Invictus and Solar Empire territory.

Jaron, nick012000, Cuchulin and 2 others like this.
  27. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Apollo is the roman name, Apollon or Apollonas are the Greek names. Apollon is the god of quite a few things, including the Sun.

Cuchulin and Prince Charon like this.
  28. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Well, he probably regrets that now

RichardWhereat likes this.
  29. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

I'm not sure that we can discuss how helpful they would or would not be without going into modern politics.

EDIT: In fact, I'm pretty sure we can't.

TopHatWearer and DAT_NOOB like this.
  30. Mr Zoat

I don't know enough about Greek politics to comment. You can assume that a great many individuals aren't the same.
    Proportionally, probably not.
    No, we can talk about the politics of a fictional setting without any problem. Honestly, we could probably talk about actual Greek politics, as few people know enough to start the sort of rows which led to the ban.

Professor Prokopios doesn't regret it at all. Everyone in Europe is getting done over by this. There's nothing about being inside the EU that would help.