1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Radiant Knight

Radiant Knight Phoenix Fire

Relating to the 'Something given has no value' argument, that really only actually operates if the only metric by which you desire things is by self accomplishment. Which I think is the point Paul is trying to make. Drusa seems to be running on self accomplishment- she wants to achieve things herself, but with her ring all the things she previously wanted were rendered obsolete. She still wants things in a personal, immediate fashion which is enough for her ring to function, but she's having trouble beyond that.

The solution then, is as Paul is doing here- presenting her with a series of scenarios that draw attention to her mindset. That she's in 'I must accomplish it for it to have meaning' when Paul, meanwhile, accomplishes things vicariously through those he has lifted up- and as a result is able to leverage his desire on a much greater scale.

Using the starship troopers example, if you get 4th place in a race and the prize for first is $100k and you need that prize for some other reason, being offered $100k for 'free' as a consolation isn't going to change your desire because you set out with different motivations. You didn't want that prize simply to prove you had gotten it. Maybe you needed that money to help someone, or maybe you just really wanted it so you could save your favourite chocolate company from bad decisions you know it was going to make in the future.

Of course it may be that Drusa just isn't suited to the Orange Light. That happens sometimes. Ideological drives change, after all.

Chaoswind, Vorian, topin89 and 6 others like this.
  2. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

That's the Bug Hunt version. And I don't know if that was a false flag, or bad writing.

But honestly? I'm sitting here wondering if it's worth voting in my local election. A hundred years ago... I think I'd have been able to vote, because they changed the laws just after WW1 so that former soldiers could vote. A little further back? Not sure. That was a very big deal at the time, and here's me not feeling moved to use the freedom that came from it.

3. Mr Zoat

Alright everyone, a mod is PMing me so in the interest of not getting banned from here as well, could everyone please stop discussing fanfiction crossovers.

Please note that I don't care, I'm just forwarding a mod request.

4. Megaolix

Megaolix Moderator

To be more precise, there are some that apparently attack those not happy about it. While there is a discussion about it that can be help, things that amount to 'Shut up and bend over be glad your OC is used for this' should stop now.

5. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

Is that what that was?

I was over here going "Why is there a lightning storm blasting a cup full of mashed potatoes?"

Which lead to "Do....do they fill cups with mashed potatoes in England?"

I fear where google would have taken me if I'd begun to search for answers.

6. hkim

hkim Know what you're doing yet?

I'm just surprised Zoat is changing his behavior based on a mod directive. Has that.. ever happened before?

Tank man, Vorian, Ardy and 1 other person like this.
  7. Mr Zoat

There's-.
    An expression I can't talk about right now.

Unrelated to all other issues, I am not against altering my behaviour at moderator request. For example, after finding out that the gold standard counted as 'modern politics', I have avoided mentioning it.

8. Maxx Crowley

Don't stress yourself on my account. It's really not that important. I'm just here to enjoy a story. Take care of yourself ya?

9. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

Probably some hoity toity chef's website with a recipe for single serving dishes of shepherds pie, bubble and squeak, or whatever weird name the brits are using this week.

10. Mr Zoat

Huh. I did not realise that Americans said 'tempest in a teapot'. In Britain we say 'storm in a teacup'.

11. Maxx Crowley

I have never heard of either of these.

12. MagnumForce

MagnumForce Making the rounds.

Heard of the latter, and Norway has "storm i vannglass" ea glass of water. Guessing there is probably a lot of variations on this one.

On this last chapter though, the controller's reaction at the end was funny, the guy realizing this is waaay out of his pay grade.

13. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

I've heard of "Tempest in a Teapot" a bunch of times, never heard "Storm in a Teacup" though.

Prince Charon and Whiteeyes like this.
  14. Tzeentch

Tzeentch I trust you know where the happy button is?

I wonder how much of an eye The Light has been keeping on Paul what with EVERYTHING he's accomplished and had a hand in, Constantine becoming a Lord of Chaos, unending the dynamics of Heaven and Hell, the implications of the Pomegranate of Good and Evil, cleaning up The Vega System, creating the The Orange Lantern Corps, encouraging rapid technological and thaumaturgical development.....

Cuchulin likes this.
  15. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

Same. Now I'm questioning am I really American?

16. Mr Zoat

Dunno. Are you from Guam?

1899 isn't modern politics, right?

17. Khornelius

Khornelius Overlord of the Underworld

I’m Texan, never heard either of these idioms. But after a quick google search to learn what they mean I know what y’all are talking about. We tend to use the expression ‘making a mountain out of a mole hill’ as a reference to someone exaggerating the seriousness of situation out of proportion.

18. Cuchulin

I've heard and used making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Last edited: May 4, 2021
  19. AverusBlack

AverusBlack AKA Aisling

"Making a .45 out of a .22"?

That's how Texans say it, right?

20. Cuchulin

LOL!!

Lord Greyscale and Prince Charon like this.
  21. Threadmarks: Negetiations (part 7)
    Mr Zoat

8th August 2012
    09:31 GMT

"We… Had.. reports.. that you had died."

The gyuanite diplomatic attaché looks at me nervously. I suppose that from his point of view I'm a combination president/pope/anti-matter bomb, but I'm not really used to being treated in that way. Other Orange Lanterns being deferential, sure. I'm their superior, and the master of a skill they are learning. My fellow superheroes on Earth are people I've worked with or actual friends. This is strange and I'm not sure that I like it.

"Oh? How?"

"We.. are not a party to your war with the Reach, but we do try to maintain a degree of awareness of its course. We have no desire to send merchant convoys into systems in dispute."

"No, I meant, how am I supposed to have died?"

"I… I doubt that it matters; you're clearly alive."

"Alive now. I've died twice before."

"Oh? Oh." The attaché calms down noticeably. "Mind recordings dubbed onto a cloned body? We're aware of some societies using that technique. I always thought that it would promote stagnation, but I suppose that the loss of a vital individual during a war would be damaging enough that it would be worth doing it anyway."

I shake my head.

"I'm familiar with the technique. There's a Terminan lawyer on my homeworld, and his people clone anyone who dies of unnatural causes. But no. I can encode my consciousness on my soul. All I need is either a supporting medium or a host body and I'm fine. Organic death just isn't that big a deal for me."

His face goes slightly purple. Worried confusion.

"I don't.. think I understand..?"

"A humanoid's consciousness lies in the electrical potentials of their neural network, right?"

"That's-. That sounds like an oversimplification, but… Yes, I understand what you mean."

"But there's nothing inherently special about electrical potentials, is there? There are few species with purely chemical neural networks, a few with exotic energy networks…"

I pull back, reducing the importance of my physical form and increasing my presence in the orange light. It's a little like when the Ophidian and I switched from my human body to her snake body when we were joined, though I'm still myself. I look down at my translucent form, and then up at the attaché.

"See? I can transubstantiate at will."

I shift back into the material as the attaché-.

"Are you alright?"

"Ah-. Ah-. A-."

"Do you require medical attention? If you can't speak, just want it and I'll-."

"Nono, that's fine! Um. Please remain mundane while you are visiting our world."

"Alright. I mean, subject to normal self-defence exemptions, sure. Is there some sort of cultural sensitivity I should know about? Because I've been reading your tourist information brochure and I didn't see anything..?"

"People think of Lantern constructs as something they attack with. If people saw you like that it might inadvertently cause.. confusion."

"Oh." I nod. "I suppose that makes sense. Now, about me meeting with officials in your government?"

"Yes, several officials are clearing their schedules and we should be able to have a preliminary meeting with you a little while after you arrive. You.. are.. aware that there is a Reach trade mission on Yuna?"

"I was planning on boiling the water anyway."

"I'm sorry, I don't think that translated."

"When you're in the wilderness and you're not sure whether the local stream is safe to drink from or not, you can boil it to remove impurities and collect the steam to drink. I'm implying that the Reach would contaminate the drinking water."

"We have very thorough safety procedures for publically-consumable water sources."

"You wouldn't be the first people to have said that."

"We are aware of the Reach's habits. Be assured that they and their thralls are monitored closely."

"Or that. But on your heads be it."

"To be clear: while we certainly do not expect you to like each other, violent hostility will not be permitted."

"Don't worry: Clarissi Dox has given me clear orders in that regard. Nothing more cutting than a quip, unless they start it."

"We would prefer it if you kept away from them entirely. We find that two belligerent groups meeting generally results in hostilities and we are eager to avoid that."

"If you insist. I think it would be a wasted opportunity, though. I rarely get to meet Reach citizens, and I've never done so somewhere I could have a conversation with one."

"I really think it would be best."

"Alright then. Who will I be meeting?"

"Initially… It.. really depends on the purpose of your visit?"

"I.. thought that was obvious, but if you want a summary: Reach bad. N.E.M.O. good."

I grin idiotically for a moment-

"Friends?"

-and then regain my normal facial expression.

"So, obviously, military and trade policy, and interstellar relations. It's not at all surprising that your government has concerns about a major military alliance appearing on your metaphorical doorstep, and I'll do what I can to allay them."

"We can get people from the Diplomatic Affairs Office, the Defence Force Office and the Trade Commission to meet with you. They can convey the concerns of their superiors and then feed back to them with your responses."

"That's… Fine for a first meeting, but I'm going to have to meet with someone senior once we've got the general shape of an agreement thrashed out."

"That will rather depend on how the earlier meetings go."

"Ah. Alright." I shrug. "I'd have thought that your government would at least want some kind of positive-sounding joint statement to steady the markets, but I'm sure that you know your people better than I do."

At the moment, at least.

"Thank you." He bows. "I will convey this to my superiors. I hope that you have a peaceful and productive visit."

Last edited: May 4, 2021
  22. gustyeagle

gustyeagle Know what you're doing yet?

Got to love the random non sequiturs.

23. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

Lmao. Imagine asking Paul to be mundane.

24. SemiAnarchist

SemiAnarchist Versed in the lewd.

Paul: "Take me to your leaders."

25. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

I feel like Paul has been stealthily trying to find a catchphrase, but none of them seem to quite work.

26. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Reports of his death were greatly exaggerated.

Well, he did die, but came back.

And now he's summoned Murphy.

27. Khornelius

Khornelius Overlord of the Underworld

I’ve never heard this idiom before. At least not from my family, but it makes a lot of sense though.

28. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Heh, the Reach actually taught Paul a new trick.

I feel for that poor customs official. Anyone having to deal with Paul in an official capacity should automatically get a promotion.

29. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Yes, yes. He already has the frequent mortality discount card with the Grim Reaper. What the freebie is is best left to the imagination...

Maybe if you weren't so passively scary and strange, people might not spread word that you are. But no, you come back from the dead, leave bizarre social impressions and casually flit about the galaxy. It's hard for people to not hear weird rumours...

Indeed, would the Reach allow word to spread that they used a substance as strange and dangerous as Qwa-Matter? Or are they simply claiming he was killed by an anti-matter bomb or something?

OL, not making your reputation any less strange here.

So close, yet so far. I mean, it's hardly an uncommon technique at higher levels of technology.

Fascinating colour displays. Green for.. nervousness? Purple for confusion... Quite the unusual physiology...

That being the thing that gets scanned and cloned via the aforementioned mind uploads. With you so far.

Though how you'd recreate such from physical scans might be an issue.

...Oh, boy. That's a big trick. In theory, if you could work the same change on Construct Lanterns...

I'd say he looks like he's seen a ghost? :p

Ah, OL. That pleasant obliviousness still gets a laugh now and again.

To be fair, do the Gyuanites get any Lantern visitors? Being on the Reach periphery, they'd likely be under GLC jurisdiction until they actually join the Reach... Do the local Sector Lanterns simply not come here?

Ah, Any Lantern visits would usually be police pursuits, I guess. And 'confusion'? Quite the understatement, I think...

Not that you'd be drinking local water anyway. I mean, even if the ring cleaned out any local infections... There'd probably still be a hint of taste in there...

Goes a bit past implying when you have to say it outright. :rolleyes: Joy of having to explain the joke...

And they probably won't be the last... Until the war's over, anyway.

What's the bet they're so busy watching the flunkies they can see, they missed the ones they couldn't? Sleeper agents, covert teams, local sympathisers... So many ways to infect the planet...

Though I suspect he gave you latitude in finishing any fight they start.

Well, any conversation besides them yelling, "Die!" And OL replying, "After you." Could be an amusing chance to meet some recurring Reach diplomat characters...

Besides not the Reach delegation?

Do you need hand-puppets? I'm definitely getting the feeling the Gyuanites are not good at dealing with the unexpected...

There we go again with the bizarre statements, OL. This is why people think you're odd.

So, going to form a committee to oversee the diplomatic committee? Wonder if they'll want to meet separately or all together?

...Well, not leading off on a friendly footing, then? I foresee obstruction after obstruction on this case.

Will you look at that? They don't even need me to taunt Murphy on this one. :V

I'm getting a funny feeling OL and company will get shuffled from subcommittee to branch office to under-secretaries before they really get anything done. A bureaucratic case of 'out of sight, out of mind', perhaps? At any rate, let's hope the Reach delegates decide to throw the first punch. Keep N.E.M.O's hands clean, and all that. But that's still a few days off yet...

30. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Assuming the people of the galaxy knew what the stuff is and why they should fear it.

Now I'm picturing a Reach version of Londo Molari.

Imperialistic bastard with a heart of gold.

His actions also kinda leave that impression.

But we know you wanted to.