1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Video Games General

Discussion in 'General' started by Smuthunter, Mar 25, 2017.

1. Lykaia

Lykaia Well worn.

Lol, what kind of crack were they smoking to give Last of Us 2 an award for its story?

Also I never got the appeal of Hades. I mean as far as rogue-lites go it's fine but not that great. It gets really repetitive early on with the same few bosses and enemies and not nearly enough weapons to spice things up.

Anonnermus and UnthinkingWisdom like this.
  2. Raven1138

Raven1138 Experienced.

The main appeal of Hades is the sum of its parts. Yeah, it may not have the depth of other Rouge-lites like Curse of the Dead Gods, Enter the Gungeon or Dead Cells, but the mechanics of doing runs serves everything perfectly form the story, side quests, relationships and even just decorating the House complete with Hades' sarcastic comments when you put in a new rug. Still, I'm happy to see Hades and Ghost of Tsushima get the recognition they deserve.

3. Megaolix

Megaolix Moderator

PSO2 NGS LAUNCH THIS JUNE!

HYPE!

4. heralding_bubble

heralding_bubble Liar and Hypocrite

A Thorough Look At Star Wars: Dark Force / Jedi Knight by Noah Caldwell-Gervais

Derek58 and Imabot like this.
  5. evildice

evildice (emotionally stable clown posse)

Dick's out for Stellaris.

It's got some significant improvements, and some really bad ideas (... which are fixable via modding).

6. Melmar

Melmar Should probly stop sayin' words

Played the RE Village demo. Friday can't get here quick enough cuz I'm readyyyyy.

7. Lord Invictus

Lord Invictus Impropérium nulla oblivione eris Gone for Good

Apparently we are supposed to believe Cerberus is mostly getting new troops from press ganging abducted civilians and indoctrinating them and then augmenting them with reaper tech. Which sort of works, but not really. Even with the tech from beyond the Omega 4 Relay, and the Illusive Man being indoctrinated-I find it super implausible that Cerberus can acquire that sort of an army with the necessary resources in six to eight months(even assuming you save the collector base). Also even if you can mass produce soldiers by converting refugees and abductees and implanting them with reaper tech-you still need to produce weapons, armor, vehicles, etc...

And that is where it still breaks plausibility because Cerberus even with its wealth and front corporations just...shouldn't have that sort of industrial power. Enough they can wage conventional war against the SA and apparently attack the Turians and Salarians, Citadel(and Tuchanka too). Its apparently so powerful and widespread that an alliance soldier requests a deployment to a reaper combat zone-over possibly fighting her brother.

Also apparently Cerberus is killing its own scientists and higher level personnel on an escalating basis-according to the mission where you rescue Jacob and Dr. Cole. Somehow the brains in the organization(and its supposed to be comprised of smart people) haven't realized "wait Dr. Whoever and Professors X and Z are disappearing as soon as their jobs are done, WTF is going on, I'm getting out"-Brynn Cole and her people don't realize this until...apparently months after the Suicide Mission.

So even Cerberus defectors are either super oblivious, indoctrinated or incompetent.

No one in Cerberus, or really anywhere asks "wait how and why is a human terrorist organization waging galactic conventional war and apparently acting as co-belligerents of the Reapers".

Ultimately I think the out of universe reason is they couldn't have only one major antagonist faction for the players to shoot at(boredom and all).

IU explanations can only explain how they get troops, not how they can somehow manufacture arms and equipment to wage a galactic war and become pretty much an unrecognized state in half a year. Its just insane.

Not to mention all that stupidity aside-the Illusive Man's nominal goals aren't that disparate really, he wants to control the Reapers, he could pursue this goal in any number of ways, even if he ultimately can't achieve it because he's indoctrinated, without the insane setting break stupidity of superpower Cerberus. And simply saying "Reaper indoctrination" just becomes a cover for bad writing at that point.

bryanfran36 likes this.
  8. Blackgutter

Blackgutter Versed in the lewd.

The EU4 leviathan debacle is still ongoing, people are still really mad and I hope it forces paradox to change. When your CEO wants to shut down the forum because it’s “toxic” seemingly right after people start complaining about the dlc you have a problem.

9. Malcolmo

Malcolmo Insert custom title here

They deserve the reaction. More and more bugs kept being discovered with each passing day. There have been bugs where your game straight crashes if you don't own another random dlc, saves being corrupted at random anyway, and even rolling the patch back and disabling the dlc didn't entirely save you because patching actually fucked with your files anyway.

10. Raven1138

Raven1138 Experienced.

A bit of hot news for fans of Yakuza. Ryu ga Gotuku Studio has announced their hit spin off game Judgement is receiving a sequel titled Lost Judgement.

And it gets better. The game will launch on September 24th for PS4, PS5 and Xbox Series consoles worldwide as a simultaneous release. And this isn't a one off thing. RGG confirmed that much like other SEGA studios, they are pushing to have all future releases going forward to be worldwide single launch days, so no waiting 6-9 months for the next Yakuza to come to the West.

Also, did learn a few things about the game so far:
    • Yagami, Kaito, and Yuta will be returning for an new mystery that will be "far darker than the prior game"
    • Lost Judgement looks to be taking place in Ijincho Yokohama, last seen in Yakuza: Like a Dragon. No word yet if Yagami will cross paths with Ichiban or if the series mainstay location Kamarocho will be present. *Edit* Producer Kazuki Hosikawa confirmed that part of the game will take place in Kamurocho, and that Yokohama will be "a living city that changes from day to night." No clue if this means Lost Judgement will have a full on day to night cycle.
    • Combat will remain a fast paced brawler as seen in Judgement and the Kiryu Saga Yakuza games (RGG confirmed that future Yakuza games with Ichiban will be JRPGs) with Yagami adding a Snake style stance to his repertoire.
    • Part of the game will involve Yagami going undercover at a high school and several of the clubs providing the Studio's signature mini games and side stories.

Last edited: May 7, 2021
  11. Imabot

Imabot Connoisseur.

I can't be only person who thought of this while reading this line.

Malcolmo and Rakdos92 like this.
  12. Rakdos92

Rakdos92 Goosh Goosh

I was more thinking 21 Jump Street.

heralding_bubble likes this.
  13. Melmar

Melmar Should probly stop sayin' words

Huh. Ethan can draw. He sketches out scenes in his journal.

14. AkumaOuja

AkumaOuja I trust you know where the happy button is?

So....Resident Evil 8....

Not gonna spoil but me and my friends went through it, spent a lot of time joking about what non-Resident Evil games it was and how it had four dungeons that were all just a different dead beloved franchise and the like. Fairly fun gunplay, but bland as shit enemy variety [there's all of three sequences where you fight more than one enemy type at a time] and several occasions of "Japan doing that thing where it doesn't understand what "automatic weapon" means" and the like.

Also the games plot and writing basically falls apart on route to Boss 4 and the world reaches 6 levels of "makes no sense any more" in my opinion. My friends didn't agree that it was as bad as 6 in that regard but
    You go into a gigantic fucking underground mining, recycling, and industrial production facility run by one guy, not the entire group your facing, one dude, who's mass producing enough BOWs to make Umbrella jealous, where he offers to let you join him, gets crazy fucking paranoid mid-offer for no reason and tries to kill you, spends the entire dungeon metal gearing at you over the radio about how you "Should have taken his offer" to help you, and learn that he's been planning to kill his boss and for this purpose has been stockpiling hundreds of thousands of cyborg BOWs he's been making going by his rate of production and storage [he's churning them out in the dozens by the minute and the crates on cranes you see constantly shuffling them out are the size of shipping containers] and somehow doesn't think he can manage it yet. Up until this point the most dangerous thing you've faced was a big werewolf thing and a giant guy with a hammer in terms of "replicable BOWs" so a literal mass production facility for these is a bit of a big step up.

The he turns into a fucking Bayformers Decepticon and you learn he also randomly built a battlebot reject from a material he can't control [he has magnet telekinesis] that Chris, who has spent the entire game giving you shit for "being in over your head" and "Getting in his way" while doing literally nothing other than getting in your way and not explaining anything, has been fixing up for you I guess. You then fight the Decepticon in a giant robot mutant VS tank fight. His base then explodes.

Then the big bad, who has no reason to think what she's planning is going to work, glues your babies severed, pickled body parts back together to bring her back to perfect life and then goes sacrifice her to a completely unrelated to the mold from 7 because it was just in a cave on the other side of the planet for no reason "mold" thing that's actually a giant fetus abomination with giant tendrils that is apparently just straight up the afterlife since it holds the souls of people who died, including her daughter apparently who died to the Spanish fucking flu unrelated to any of this a century ago. She then rips out Ethan's heart and despite his immediate response to being delimbed while fighting giant Mrs. Dracula X being to just stick his hand back on he apparently didn't know he was actually a mold person despite that being fucking nonsensical because he went to a doctor for that shit AND A GUY WHO SPECIALIZES IN DEALING WITH BIOLOGICAL INFECTIOUS AGENTS who would have checked him while also knowing he was actively fucking and conceived a child with a living mold colony in the shape of a person that was his wife. Anyway he comes back from the fucking dead and fights her after a brief segment as Chris Redfield where you play Call of Duty Zombies for a lil bit, and despite her being functionally a god, kills her with sustained small arms fire. meaning the Decepticon guy 100% could have taken her out which his cyborg zombie army.

He then uses the N2 mine to commit suicide for no reason after losing a hand to crystallization and kill the afterlife fetus. yes, an actual N2 Mine, Chris explicitly calls it that after shoving it into the afterlife's fleshy side, and it has the same fucking design for the cloud effect and a similar blast radius. He did this for no fucking reason.

Also the Decepticon knew about explicitly the events of RE5 and he calls Chris a boulder punching asshole.

And also at no single point is it ever explained how the villain knew about you, your family, or your kid. Nor are you explained as to why she "knew" Rose would let her bring back her daughter, why she thought that would work with zero evidence for it other than "I found the physical form of the afterlife and it's mushroom tentacles apparently", how she created an entirely new parasite to hybridize it with seemingly out of the Afterlife itself somehow? [you are however told in a random log entry she's responsible for the existence of Umbrella which just created even more logic hole but it's umbrella so that's normal and we can just accept that] and also again Ethan kills himself for literally no fucking reason.

So yeah.

15. Malcolmo

You know, although I'm semi used to RE being weird plot and enemy wise, that's a bit of a new one even for RE. I was expecting a repeat of that Spanish resident evil not whatever the fuck that story is.

16. AkumaOuja

AkumaOuja I trust you know where the happy button is?

Bruh that's just me covering the last like 2 1/2 hours of the game. The rest of it is more coherent and holds up by RE standards[though some holes open up because there's kind of a feeling of "we'll get an explanation for this by the end so we can gloss over it for now" that's normal for the franchise but instead you kind of just are expected to ignore those. They aren't ever properly explained beyond vague generalized assumptions you can make and me and my friends ended up repeatedly guessing more sane and reasonable things that ended up debunked by the end for "I'unno, a wizard did it.] reasonably well and it's in order the best first person Castlevania, Silent Hill, some third thing I haven't figured out yet, and Metal Gear games released in years which has to be fucking deliberate.

But there's way more cocaine in there I didn't mention.

17. Raven1138

Raven1138 Experienced.

Then again, when was the last time Konami actually made a decent video game based on any of its franchises? Village may as well be Capcom showing how good those licences would be in the hands of a company that gave a shit about something other than pachislot machines.

18. Knightfall

Knightfall Nui Harime lover, Cynic, and Archivist

Can we have Capcom maybe buy the Silent Hill and Castlevania franchises than?

Raven1138 likes this.
  19. vyor

vyor Oh that's cute

Wow, you weren't paying any fucking attention, were you?

YOU TELL HIM FUCK YOU

YOU TELL HIM YOU AREN'T GOING TO HELP HIM AND THEN TELL HIM TO LET YOU FALL INTO THE FUCKING PIT

UnthinkingWisdom likes this.
  20. Desalis

Desalis Journey before desination

Just played Planetary Annihilation for the first time in years after getting back into Supreme Commander. It's a bit of fun, but good god the camera is appalling and I've no idea what would make it better. I really enjoyed the unit design though, the space battleships look super cool.

21. Megaolix

Megaolix Moderator

So I just heard Punishing Gray Raven was coming ot Global. Apparently play like Honkai Impact 3, not that I played it myself. And many praise the soundtrack.

22. evildice

evildice (emotionally stable clown posse)

Are these games about spanking?

Velk, Malcolmo and MinorGryph like this.
  23. Megaolix

Megaolix Moderator

No.

Renko, wasprider and evildice like this.
  24. Malcolmo

You know, up until you said that I didn't realize how much those games sounded like BDSM titles..

25. Eisen

Eisen Avant Garde

More hack and slash than Honkai so it's on the vein of DMC and Nier I guess.

26. DestyNova

DestyNova Getting sticky.

What I want to a game where you play Mr.X (Kind of like Ghost Survivor). on a mission. You are strong, tough and fast but have no weapons other than your fists or breakable clubs. You have to try to avoid getting dinged to death before you finish your mission.

27. vyor

vyor Oh that's cute

I think that RE7 has a DLC like that :p

28. AllyDoodle

AllyDoodle Lewd Cthulhu

29. Scygnus

Scygnus Well worn.

Oh, in case anyone didn't notice, Helltaker got an update.

The last puzzle stage is a bitch. Had to look up the solution and I was waaaaay off. Action stages could get frustrating, but were doable.

The boss though... can suck my dick.

Don't concentrate too hard on the last megalaser.

Update was a bit meh in terms of waifus, though the new girl is kinda cute.

UnthinkingWisdom and evildice like this.
  30. SwiftRosenthal

SwiftRosenthal Connoisseur.

I watched Pikasprey's run of it last night.
    The new girl isn't new. She's grown-up Azazel.