1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

2. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

Apes.

Humans are apes, not monkeys

Cuchulin and Assblaster5000 like this.
  3. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

If we're being specific then it would actually be Great Apes, not just normal apes.

Pedantic, I know, but the same could be said about the monkey vs ape correction, so meh.

Whiteeyes and Cuchulin like this.
  4. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

Eh. Apes are closer than monkeys are, but going back farther, there would be a common ancestor for all the monkeys, apes, and humans, which could be called a monkey.

5. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

If you want to go far back enough then you can argue that a banana and a giraffe are basically the same thing because literally all life on Earth has a common ancestor. We obviously don't because going far back enough for that to be sort of, technically true would basically place you on an alien planet (well that and other stuff).

For what you said we'd go back to... around the Jurassic Period I believe. Which is when we, and all mammalian life really, were still basically mice.

Whiteeyes, Lord Ernest and Cuchulin like this.
  6. Maxx Crowley

Look, humans are arrogant enough enough without classifying them as "Great". Can they shoot lasers out of their mouths like the Space-Monkeys? I think not.

We haven't even reached King Kong levels yet.

If three different species descended from it, why would would keep the name but the other two not?

Clearly, this parent, would be named "Hairy, screamy thingy"

7. BlueMangoAdea

Fair enough. OL should have used the word primate instead, then. I personally think using the word "monkey" in a general way to refer to the taxonomic order isn't too inapropriate, though.

Whiteeyes and Cuchulin like this.
  8. Mr Zoat

Speaking as a resident of Great Britain, you don't have to be very great to be Great.

Much like how you don't have to be very united to be United.

9. Maxx Crowley

Hilariously, I don't know anyone who calls the United States that. Just "America"

10. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

It's commonly just called "The States" or "US" ( 'yew ess' for the phonetically minded types) around here....I don't know if it's the fact that we share the land mass of the same name with them, but we tend to leave off the "America" part.

It's like Hockey.....we just Assume it's on Ice unless stated otherwise.

Which I guess is a bit odd, since no one goes around calling us "The Dominion"

Last edited: May 12, 2021
    Whiteeyes, Lord Ernest and Cuchulin like this.
  11. Radix

Radix Not too sore, are you?

Primates largely arose in the Cenozoic era approximately 55 million years ago. The only thing you get by calling us primates instead of monkeys is that you are including Tarsiers and Lemurs.

Hominoidea evolved from Old World Monkeys about 25 million years ago. That is what would generally be considered Apes, both lesser and great. The distinction of lesser vs great apes is largely in regards to size.

We did evolve from Monkeys in the sense that they had tails, and we together with New World Monkeys and Old World Monkeys are Simians or Anthropods. So yes, it is perfectly valid to describe us as descending from Monkeys.

So Humans are both apes, and great apes within that categorization. While we are not longer monkeys, we are descended from monkeys, or at least a common ancestor with monkeys who would have many traits similar to monkeys than what we have. They would definitely have tails given that tails existed before the New World/Old World branch occurred which was before the ape divergence.

12. Threadmarks: Negetiations (part 12)
    Mr Zoat

12th August 2012
    18:08 GMT

"Yes?" I frown at Lantern Drusa as we lurk in small café in a less-frequented corner of the city. "We know the Reach use this place as a high value import hub, that's not news."

"This ship is."

I don't recognise the design, but that doesn't mean much. While some major shipyards have standard designs on file, the galaxy is vast. Plenty of shipyards build custom ships without any record of their work getting into wider circulation. This one… Looks like a base hull with an extra module stuck on top. Extra sublight engines, maybe?

I shrug. "It's very red."

"Local records show that they frequently sell unusual items to the Reach, amongst others."

"It hasn't made much difference yet." I shrug again. "Why are you so worried about this visit?"

"They were last seen on D'xe, a world that was briefly ruled by its Green Lantern."

I nod. Jordan submitted a brief report on it. Green Lanterns going rogue is… Well, honestly, since they usually recruit from martial societies, it's not uncommon for Lanterns to push the boundaries a bit. Flat out taking over their homeworld is unusual, but Lantern Kaylark apparently went completely supervillain at one point. Started calling herself 'Empress Surrenda'.

Sounds like one of the people Diana used to fight back in the forties.

"And?"

"A Lantern with an excellent record, who attempted to enslave her world."

I frown. "You think they've got some sort of anti-Lantern weapon? Something that affects our mental state? Because in my case, that seems unlikely to work."

"We're not all you. And we're far more unstable than Green Lanterns." She considers the image. "I don't know that they have a weapon, but when they arrived they were immediately put in contact with the Negotiator."

"It seems more likely that they were gathering data rather than picking up a weapon. Goodness knows that Jordan isn't the most thorough operative at times, but if he found something that drove Lanterns crazy then he'd have destroyed it."

"And all records of it?"

I snort quietly. "Sorry, 'Surrenda' looked like a supervillain so I assumed that she didn't bother with backups. I suppose it's… Possible, but it seems a bit flimsy."

"Then why is she here?"

The ring brings up an image of Lantern K'ryssma, showing her drop out of warp at the same point from which the… 'Free Lancers' entered the system, and then head towards Yuna. No pilot for her, I note. I frown and look up… There she is.

"It's not specifically our concern, but I suppose that it wouldn't hurt to ask"

Lantern Drusa frowns. "Ask her?"

"The Green Lantern Corps had a major war against the Reach a while back. Lantern K'ryssma doesn't want the Reach to expand, and if these people really have picked up an anti-Lantern weapon then it's in both our interests to stop them. Counterpoint?"

"If there is a weapon, getting sole access to it gives us an advantage."

I shrug. "Against who? I don't remember any reports of the world around D'xe having any noticeable outbreaks of megalomaniacs, so if it works on Lanterns then it just works on Lanterns. We don't want to fight Green Lanterns and they don't want to fight us. Larfleeze is in a holding cell, Sinestro is one guy and the Zamarons are undergoing a culture shift in our favour. Having an improved anti-Lantern weapon is just going to create entirely unnecessary trouble."

She doesn't look convinced.

"Look, if you're really worried about fighting a Green Lantern then you can spend some time with one on Earth. We've got, like, five of them now. They're not that hard to beat." I hold out my left hand. "Illustres to Honour Guard Lantern K'ryssma."

My ring shimmers, then her head appears over the sigil.

"Oh. You again."

"What brings you back to this region?"

"Your war. The Green Lantern Corps wishes to ensure that it is contained within Reach space. There are a vast number of inhabited worlds in this region of space who could be affected if the fighting spills beyond their borders."

"No concern for their Controller cousins?"

"The Guardians are concerned for all life, not just their own distant relatives."

"Anything I can help with? I doubt that there are enough Green Lanterns around here to properly protect a region this large, and they are our neighbours. We've got no interest in alienating them."

"If a situation where you can help occurs, I will let you know."

"Rightoh. And of course… If you'd like to get involved, we'd be happy to have you."

"The Green Lantern Corps has a ceasefire agreement with the Reach. We will not invalidate our word by being the ones who break it."

"Well… There's two obvious ways around that. You could just act as a neutral observer. We'd be happy to offer you a base to work from while monitoring the conduct of the war. Or protecting people liberated from Reach control. Or if you want to get more involved, you… Could request a leave of absence from the Green Lantern Corps and take up an orange ring. The change in mindset is rather substantial, but you could probably handle it. And if not then it would still be fascinating to see how it goes."

"I will pass on your offer to allow observers to the Guardians. I will certainly not leave the Green Lantern Corps for you."

"Lantern K'ryssma… I don't matter. I could drop dead right now and the war would continue in pretty much the same way. And even if I did matter, I wouldn't expect you to do something as a favour to a man you met once. However, if you're even somewhat interested in the wellbeing of the people of this region of space, making sure that the campaign to liberate them goes well does seem like the sort of thing a socially responsible Lantern might do."

"I am not so confident that you will win."

"Hey, if you know someone with a better chance, go join up with them instead. But the Guardians have demonstrated that they're not interested in taking this fight, so… They're definitely not it. We aren't targeting serving Green Lanterns for recruitment, but they're going to hear about us eventually."

"They already have."

Hm. The nice thing about being recruited into the Green Lantern Corps is that you can live on your homeworld. Only the relatively small number of Green Lanterns whose Space Sectors are around here would be interested in siding with us simply due to the commute. K'ryssma isn't local…

"Oh? Are you here to steady wavering local Greenies?"

"No. If they wish to join in your crusade then they are free to leave the Corps and apply to join you. Have any?"

I nod. "So it is the D'xe thing!"

And I open my empathic vision wide.

Last edited: May 16, 2021
  13. BlueMangoAdea

When in doubt, use divination.

14. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'They were'

I read the wiki page and it said that that was just a test.

Guess it was different here.

I know the Guardians don't have problems with their Lanterns ruling worlds, so long as they don't use the rings to take over.

One Lantern was actually the ruler of her people, but she seemed to have been legit.

Murphy lover.

And in many ways that is good.

Or it can work on non Lanterns, but they were just interested in the Lantern.

Who can do some pretty big damage and may be recruiting people.

You could potentially use it to take down any Orange Lanterns that go rogue.

By you.

Others may find it more difficult.

And I don't think you ever seriously fought a Lantern before, aside from ambushing Steward from the JL Unlimited universe, so having a serious fight with one may be much more difficult.

I can hear her annoyance.

'these are'

15. rkyeun

rkyeun Cabbitus Maximus

16. BlueMangoAdea

I don't think Paul needs it to shut down rogue Orange Lanterns. Just "you may not use our light" them.

17. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Other Orange Lanterns however may not be able to do that.

And even Paul’s powers can be resisted.

Xor, the guy Paul rescued and helped him overthrow his corrupt government, was able to resist Paul’s manipulation of his ring.

18. AverusBlack

AverusBlack AKA Aisling

I think I'm confused.

What's supposed to be happening in this chapter?

moralrelativity and DAT_NOOB like this.
  19. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

A member of the green lantern corps honour guard arrived due to the war spilling over and is talking with Paul

20. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    Yes. I planned this story before I realised the whole thing was supposed to be an illusion and it has to stay for other stuff to make sense.

21. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Hm. So Lantern Charisma was hit by a Lantern controlling weapon?

Yeah, that would be...slightly bad if the Reach had that.

moralrelativity likes this.
  22. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

And it belong to... Who? Looks very fast and menacing, but looks aren't everything, after all. I do hope the lady intends to explain her concerns...

Sounds like a hill-billy tweak, or someone having a mid-life crisis. Are there truck-nuts on the back? Seriously, feels like something an Ork would build...

Previous personal experience? You know them by reputation, Drusa?

:confused: ...Okay. I guess it has a different meaning in her tongue? Perhaps 'sur-ren-da' means 'mighty conqueror' or something like that...

Ah, the forties. :rolleyes: Gods bless the Golden Age. Yes, they seem goofy to us, in our time of grim-derp heroes and psychopathic villains. But in their day, they were... o_O uh... Okay, they were a bit goofy, but they were made for kids.

These things are not uncommon. Two names: Sinestro. Malvolio. I'm sure there are many more, given the Guardians' restrictions against it.

OL, there's such a thing as being overconfident. Remember when Truggs stole your ring by hitting you with a mental disruption attack? As for the latter detail about the Negotiator, that is concerning.

...Lantern Jordan. The man is not known for being thorough. A maverick and cocky, yes. Thorough? Not so much.

No Plans, No Prototype, No Backup. Standard drill for nutters. Presumably it was so for... :p 'Surrenda'.

An Honour Guard? Unusual. Is she here because of rumours of Orange Lanterns in-system, or something to do with the hot-rod ship? Are we looking at a cross-jurisdictional hot pursuit?

Uh, maybe the Gyuanites might have something to suggest? You are having this conversation right in front of them, remember? I rather imagine there's some panicked looks being exchanged at their end of the table. (Whoops, Mr Zoat edited in a change of location.)

Never mind whatever the Indigo tribe have been up to since last OL saw them. Likely building numbers from the galactic criminal population... And the Blue and Red Lanterns Corps don't exist yet.

...Maybe not for you, OL. I suppose some cross training would be wise, though. And that can be another orange Lantern who gets to see just how insane your homeworld is in person. I mean, yes, she read the files, but that only goes so far... :p

Why yes, nice to meet you, too. No need to sound so disappointed.

Yes, and most of them are keeping their heads down and out of it, wisely enough.

I believe their opinions would be "They made their bed, now they can lie in it." No love lost between them, if I remember right.

In other words: "Don't call me, I'll call you." Probably heard all manner of tales from the 2814 Lanterns about him...

Who says you have to fight?

I mean, it's not unheard of. Look at how well Koriand'r did with a borrowed Blue Ring. Though it is true that she's not particularly well-aligned with Avarice anyway.

To be fair, him dying permanently might impact some of Dox's wilder strategies. At worst, the war lasts a few decades longer without rapid deep deployments.

Though it's unlikely there would be many looking to switch colours. The mindset of a Green Lantern comes with quite a stubborn attitude...

Ah. She's flying the Guardians' flag, much as he's doing for N.E.M.O...

She'd know better than he would. Does OL pay much attention to the overall intake of personnel beyond names and an occasional look over for potential students?

...That seems... Unwise.

Presumably going looking for the emotions of the Red Ships' crew, poke around to see any motivations there. Probably a big old lump of 'Kaching! Pay-day!' among other things... Though I find myself wondering what the Gyuanites (and Torvite) listening in have to say about this little discussion. :confused: Because they are sitting right there... Definitely a case of 'so much for neutrality' if the War can come to your doorstep like this...

Last edited: May 13, 2021
    Vorian, BR549, Prince Charon and 9 others like this.
  23. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Though there is one Blue Lantern.

And if Sinestro loses his head then we'll have another Blue with our favorite orange skinned princess.

She met and talked to Paul.

The fact that she's annoyed at seeing him is perfectly understandable.

And those tales were probably very flattering compared to the real thing.

It wouldn't be Paul if he didn't do something unwise.

24. AverusBlack

AverusBlack AKA Aisling

Sure but the D'xe stuff confuses me. I'm not clear on what supposed revelation Paul had at the end.

25. BlueMangoAdea

I'm not sure if we are meant to.

moralrelativity and Ardy like this.
  26. AverusBlack

AverusBlack AKA Aisling

Illustres used CONFUSION!

It's super effective!

27. Agumentic

Agumentic Not too sore, are you?

That lantern K'ryssma is not here on a random whim, but investigating that possible anti-Lantern weapon. Hence her question whether any Green Lanterns decided to ditch their duties and start doing something else - like joining OLC. That's my understanding of it, at least.

28. Osserumb

Osserumb Getting sticky.

My read on it is: Paul is looking at emotional reaction of Green Lantern Honour Guard to the mention of D'xe . This could tell him if the Green Lantern Corps suspects something about that unusual ship

29. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

The D'xe stuff implies there is an anti lantern weapon was in existence and the people in the red ship might have information at best, a functional version at worst. Paul was willing to write off the chance of this being so, until the matter of an honor guard member of the GLC showing up around the same time. The conversation about poaching GLC members for the OLC was something she used as a fishing question. It implies she is also aware of the possibility of such a weapon, and may suspect that he's here for it. Thus he understands she's worried enough about the possiblity that it might be a real threat. His response to that is to start looking for distortions to the emotional setup of the peoples of this world, as such a sudden shift in personality from 'upstanding ringslinger' to 'crazy megalomaniac' would stand out to him.

30. AverusBlack

AverusBlack AKA Aisling

Okay, that makes some sense.

Maybe I'm just being especially derp tonight. Thanks for laying that out for me, I couldn't grok it.

mastermenthe, c3qo, Whiteeyes and 2 others like this.