1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    Actually, Jebediah is fine with Adom being rehabilitated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He would have to do some serious thinking about his own behaviour afterwards, but unlike Nabu he actually would.
    Thank you, corrected.

2. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

And no qualms about betraying anyone and anything needed to A: get what he wants, B: get paid for it and C: keep his skin in one piece in the process, no doubt. I bet even that affable demeanour is a stance to put threats at ease...

Yeah, no. He strikes me as the sort to be willing to change horse midstream, especially if it looks like it's sinking. Last thing you need is a potential deserter.

Though her outfit is quite pleasingly tight in all the right places...

How.. illuminating. <ducks.> :sneaky: Hey, it had to be said by someone.

Cagey, isn't he? Not wanting to give away even the hint of a clue.

Which begs the question galaxy-wide: "What other colours do they come in?" Certainly, while the Guardians tend to have a monopoly on Spectrum technology that's now being broken down by the Controllers, they can't be the only species in the whole galaxy who've experimented with it... Wonder how many have been experimenting...

...Okay, that's just a little worrying, yes. Maybe his species has a little natural Spectrum-usage ability?

Boy, kind of leaning on the implied threat there, brother. Think he's a little put out?

And a whole other kind of implied threat.

Indeed, he's mostly trying not to annoy the locals into turning hostile, after all. Not that he's too worried one way or the other, but Dox would probably yell. And that's just annoying.

Which I bet a lot of people are forgetting or overlooking, in-universe. The Orange Lanterns and their associates aren't space cops. Nor do they intend to be. They're a military power.

Well, at least he has a rich talent for sarcasm...

And honestly, there are better weapons out there. Power Rings, for example. And yes, I know, tools. But most people only know of Greenies using them as weapons...

I rather suspect any planet or facility they tried to set up a research centre on would suffer a strangely coincidental case of existence failure shortly after...

Haha... If he only knew...

Boy, is his face going to be red in a couple of years time... When he finally let's slip about the Scarabs in earshot of Ted Kord and he mentions his mentor's old artefact... Or introduces his new intern, Jaime Reyes.

Though that contract might need some magical enforcement, just in case. Harrow probably enjoys his freedom to quietly (or not-so-quietly) slip away from any compromising employment.

And knowing that, what's the bet Harrow gets it into his head to go looking for an Orange Ring somewhere?

Oof, multi-target Burn. :p

At least he's sanguine about it. Got to like the guy, he knows what he is, and is entirely happy with the way he is.

No mention of K'ryssma being hot on their heels? Well, at least he can pull that out later, maybe shake that confidence of theirs. Assuming they haven't already noticed.

I'm sure there are plenty of 'traders' who claim to have acquired 'power rings'. The veracity of such claims is up to the listener.

Oh, really? I suppose it's not impossible. There's probably a line of technical development to do with Power Rings. I doubt the current model is exactly the same as the ones used by the First Lanterns. :D More Bobblehead malware for one thing.

Hmm... Older prototype or newer? Going by the storyline involved, it's likely the advanced Ring introduced there...

Well, for one thing, proprietary Bobblehead security features? And it may require a downright unsafe level of focused Will...

Let's just hope the resulting bidding war doesn't turn into a shooting war. ;)

Well, that is going to be a lively series of calls, probably involving Hinon, Dox and maybe Kalmin... Especially if he loops in K'ryssma and whichever Guardian she's liaising with. Just the fact that this ring exists is a major issue for the Green Lantern Corps. Especially if it's as powerful as it's reputed to be...

3. Sceptic

Sceptic Critical Irrationalist

Given that he thinks the name is "Jamie", it's no wonder he didn't find him.

4. transhumansage

transhumansage Versed in the lewd.

anybody know what arc paul killed larfleeze? also who is K'ryssma

5. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

I wonder if Scarab symbiotes are sophisticated enough to be susceptible to the emotional light?

As for the power ring: could it be the insane Lantern managed to make one themselves? One without Oan restrictions on it?

Otto von Saurion likes this.
  6. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

Can Scarabs (whether implanted or not) evade power ring scans? I don't know the canonical time when Green Beetle first found his Scarab on Mars, but I guess he's hiding out from Paragon.
    Actually though, if Green Beetle is already a thing, that means the Reach have an agent near Earth that they could be doing all sorts of things with, activating him early in response to Paragon's actions altering canon. That could potentially be very worrying. I think I did ask before about Adrianna having memories of previous hosts of Isis, but I don't remember the answer, though I assume not.

How did the Light get in contact with the Reach in the first place? Did they ever say? I know s3 isn't canonical to this fic but s2 ended with Vandal and Darkseid shaking hands so I kind of assume it was thanks to Apokalips connections, since there aren't any actual aliens on the Light.

I assume that the GLC captured at least one Scarab implant during their war; did the Guardians study it at all? Having a non-brainwashing Scarab would make a useful complement to Green Lanterns, so I assume they didn't.

I wonder if Paragon will be willing to just compel them to hand over the power ring if necessary; as he said, he's not as committed to local law as a Green Lantern would be, and I feel like he could do it subtly enough to evade notice anyway.

Prince Charon likes this.
  7. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

His name is 'Jaime Reyes'

Unless Paul doesn't know what it's spelled like and that's why he couldn't locate him.

Paul didn't kill him, he just captured him.

Renegade killed him.

The Green Lantern Paul was talking to in the previous chapters..

Probably, since they're anti Lantern weaponry, so them evading scans makes sense.

And Khaji Da also had magic, so he may be extra hard to find.

She may have them, but she may have to meditate to view them, or something like that.

And even if she did have them I don't think she'd think of the Scarab.

Her and Paul aren't all that close, so she may not know about the Reach.

They probably captured a few, but may have found it unnecessary to start using them since they may have thought the rings were enough.

I do remember a Black Lantern fic with either an SI or an OC that had him reprogram Scarabs and make Black Scarabs.

8. Mr Zoat

The main SI didn't kill Larfleeze. He apprehended him and put him in a mental hospital.

9. Mr Zoat

Yes. I only learned that Spanish J = English H after the start of this story. If he'd been German it would have been different.

10. Massgamer

Massgamer Not too sore, are you?

Paul in bidding war! I would think the Negotiator would be trying harder to cut into the conversation.

On another note, after binge watching Invincible I really hope we get a interlude of Paul in that verse later, assuming of course Mr Zoat has seen it and wants to of course.

BR549 likes this.
  11. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Or it could be genuine, like Richard Wilkins.

The fact that it helps is just a bonus.

There is something to be said about keeping a bit of mystery.

Inferior to my Hagrid line, but you pass.

The Zamarons are making rings.

The Qwardians can also do it.

As well as Abin Sur, and probably that guy that helped him.

For now.

Though once the major threats, like the Reach, Apokalips, Qward, have been eliminated they may become cops.

Assuming Ted remembers.

He can be a bit scatterbrained.

Suckers bet.

We can acknowledge his behavior, but we don't have to like him.

Do you know nothing about the vile Chaos God Murphy, Chojin?

Even the Four stay away from him and yet you continue to follow him.

12. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I'm also hoping to see one in the Ben 10 universe.

Though from the perspective of Hinon and Azmuth.

I can see them bonding over things like science, old mistakes, and of course having their creations be wielded by humans who annoy them.

Otto von Saurion, Vorian and Ngamer11 like this.
  13. Mr Zoat

I've seen clips. For a guy called 'Invincible' he certainly seems to get his face kicked in a lot.

Actually, I was thinking about doing a couple of Renegade in Worm segments, where he solos the Slaughterhouse 9 and uses his fame to start a state-level Parahuman police force. On the grounds that it's unconstitutional for the Federal Government to involve itself in state policing.
    I am entirely too old to have watched Ben 10.

14. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Like Harrow said in this chapter, names don't always indicate the truth.

I remember you mentioning about writing some chapters in which renegade adopts Amy and one where a version of Paul kills Legend after discovering Cauldron.

Which is a shame, since Legend was not aware of the shadier shit Cauldron was doing.

Though you have watched things like Thundercats 2011, which came out years after Ben 10.

15. Mr Zoat

Different idea.
    That was the point of it. I could say something like 'Worm is suffering' or 'he should have found out', but really the idea would only work thematically if he wasn't that bad a guy. That SI would kill someone that most people thought was a hero, but he's comfortable knowing that he was actually a monster. And then later he finds out that he wasn't.
    Yeah, but I'd seen original Thundercats. And I probably was too old to watch Thundercats 2011. Same with He-Man.

16. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Ahh, Worm.

The place where being a good guy is nearly impossible.

17. mastermenthe

mastermenthe Mint Thistle

That is a concern with anything involving the Reach, is it not? Of course, it is also possible the Reach simultaneously value their reputation as a trading partner and are making this offer genuinely, with a bonus of gaining a new infection vector through the scarab.

Yes, seeing as how Illustres was able to detect a stealthed Scarab Warrior during the second battle with the Reach via his empathy vision spotting the surreptitious flashes of the scarab's own wants. Illustres attempted to use The Honden to subvert the Scarab's wants after disabling it, but it self-destructed as soon as he made mental contact.

Yes, when Illustres and Drusa visited the Reach-infiltrated shipyard in a recent episode, Illustres could use empathy sight to spot the scarab, but Drusa could not detect the scarab warrior until it already opened fire with a neural blaster.
    Additionally, when Actually-Grayven kill-steal'd the entire first battle with The Reach, Illustres noted two scarab warriors were flushed out by Actually-Grayven's forces that had not been detected earlier.

The Reach Negotiator has three reasons for holding back:
    1. The Negotiator is terrified of Illustres and is worried about accidentally pushing Illustres into becoming even more unpredictable than usual.
    2. The Negotiator is aware of Illustres' tendency to overshare strategic and personal information, if Illustres is given room to make mistakes over incomplete assumptions, or if Illustres overhears incorrect information being shared by anyone in the room, such as the Reach Negotiator deliberately stating subtly incorrect facts.
    3. The Negotiator is aware that the presence of Illustres completely nullifies any of the Reach's usual strategies to undercut an economic opponent. By leaving the initiative of changing the terms in the hands of the Freelancers without Reach interference, the Negotiator hopes that the Illustres is predictably self-bounded by the desires of the Freelancers during the course of the bidding war, and so standing back becomes the logical path.

I'm sorry, what? I don't remember this at all. What rings are they making?

Last edited: May 16, 2021
  18. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Dame Carol Ferris gave them the idea to properly start a Star Sapphire Corps. Only known member is Ghi'ata, as Dame Carol Ferris is from another universe and will eventually have to go back. Maybe the local Carol Ferris will join in the future?

19. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Though taking control of the Scarab may be more difficult.

Seeing as one of the OLC's main powers is mind control with Branding, it's highly likely the Reach has increased any anti-subversion protocols the Scarabs may have, probably making them more resistant or making them self-destruct if they're subverted.

After Paul and Zatanna went to Earth -14 they brought back a Star Sapphire with them.

Dame Carrol Ferris to be specific.

The Star Sapphires have the role of the GLC in the -14 universe, and have power rings.

The Zamarons apparently studied Carol's ring and made their own.

A young Zamaron, Ghi'ata, is on the Team.

Edit: Ngamer11 beat me to it.

Last edited: May 19, 2021
    Whiteeyes, ChestBurster and Ngamer11 like this.
  20. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Assuming she wants to have anything to do with the Violet Light or the Zamarons ever again.

After being driven crazy by their little creation, she may have decided to steer clear of them and their creations.

Whiteeyes, ChestBurster and Ngamer11 like this.
  21. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

This picture doesn't work anymore. Also, is it fine to post links to the In Praise of Eros thread in this thread?

22. Mr Zoat

I'll change it.
    Actually? Only if you clearly mark it as a link to the NSFW section. I think putting that comment in there is enough, but it might be better to lead with that in future.

23. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

While their roster when they hit Brockton Bay in canon is as follows:

1. Jack Slash
    2. Bonesaw
    3. Siberian
    4. Mannequin
    5. Shatterbird
    6. Crawler
    7. Burnscar
    8. Cherish

That roster is extremely recent, with Cherish having joined up at the previous recruitment run by killing a standing member, a power negator with enhanced strength and toughness called Hatchet Face. He himself was a more recent member, brought in to replace Winter, a former child soldier turned arms dealer and slaver who used her power to drain physical and emotional energy from an area to lock targets down so that her lover, a blood drinking speedster Hulk with a greatsword named Crimson, could leverage his melee might against them. So, if Renegade were to hit the Nine prior to canon, the lineup might look more like this:

1. Jack Slash
    2. Bonesaw
    3. Siberian
    4. Mannequin
    5. Shatterbird
    6. Crawler
    7. Crimson
    8. Winter
    9. Burnscar

Would I be correct to assume that Renegade would be adverse to confronting Mama Mathers, due to her power making her a living memetic hazard? Or the Elite, due to their basically being headed by Worm's Lex Luthor?

24. Mr Zoat

There's a comic early in Order of the Stick where a couple of characters have to walk through a room full of monsters. One of them casts a spell to make the monsters ignore them, but remarks that they're surprised that it worked on all of them as at least one of them should have passed a will save. After a little while they realise that the room is filled with 1st Edition monsters, and as such they don't have a will save.

The Entities haven't encountered New God technology before, let alone had to deal with the Source. While it doesn't really help with Scion, the Renegade can no-sell a lot of things that are devastating to the local squishy people.

Basically, if it only works due to how agents network, it won't work on him at all. Jack Slash's mind control? Fail. If it requires the agent to connect to him, it'll be rolling against his exotic resistance and probably fail. The Renegade's like a boss character who's immune to status effects, playing against builds focused on status effects.

Last edited: May 16, 2021
  25. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

I'd argue that the shard network means that parahuman powers would eventually innovate adaptations to his resistance, but Cauldron capes like Mama use shards that aren't networked due to Eden’s demise, so your logic would actually hold water with regard to her in particular.

That being said, there's the question of whether or not crimes using parahuman abilities are considered federal crimes for the purpose of facilitating PRT jurisdiction.

ChestBurster and Xmaster3000 like this.
  26. Mr Zoat

The appear to be considered that in Worm, but I'm not sure whether that's actually how it would work in US law or Cauldron sticking its oar in.

The Renegade argues that the Protectorate involving in anything other than interstate crime is unconstitutional as they're a federal agency. Cauldron disagrees, and that's why doors don't work in a tri-state area.

27. Zig

Zig Not too sore, are you?

Jack Slash does in fact only work due to the agents network, he doesn't even work on regular humans. Mama Mathers on the other hand doesn't rely on it as her power works on regular people just fine, it's far more like traditional telepathic invasion (which can be resisted with similar tricks to what the Renegade has learned).

Tinkertech is actually kind of similar to New God tech now that I think about it. Like, it explicitly does not work for long without the builder (or in some cases another tinker) continuously "pouring their power" into it.

While the Protectorate is federal, it's not a police force because they are capes that only deal with capes. The Renegade pulling that would be interesting because others in canon have made the same argument. The PRT is closer to a federal police force as it's regular humans and they justify their existence as making it their job to watch the Protectorate. It's an interesting argument, and making it in universe would split opinions into groups that aren't on the villain / hero divide.

28. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

I've been thinking about Gravy in Worm, since I was disappointed by catfarmer alt.Paul's performance in Worm.

I decided that Gravy unlike catfarmer, would be rather useful in Worm. Garrick and Danner formulas, and Worm could definitely use some empire building.

And a funny thought occured to me- New God apotheosis enhances the defining strengths of a person. So an archer would get better at archery, a danner enhancile would get stronger and tougher, etc.

So uplifting a parahuman would probably make a New God that is rather Titan like. I was imagining a New Gods with Endbringer durability and able to call apon the full capabilities of their Shard.....

It would be hard to imagine a parahuman whose defining strength isn't their parahuman power, and their parahuman power is a connection to a Shard, so I'd imagine a New God parahuman would be able to hack their Shard and squeeze out all the goodies.

29. Mr Zoat

He wasn't there to fix it, he was there to prevent it being a problem for his people. It's sort of like [country] in [modern politics]; levelling the place actually is an acceptable outcome as long as none of it follows him home.
    It would depend on whether or not the awakening considered the shard to be a part of them or now. Canis Minor didn't merge with Breton Brut when he became New God of Art, or with his Mother Box or with his chisel. If that was the case, the New God might keep a variant of their original ability while losing their shard.

On the other hand, Shilo Norman merged with his Mother Box when he became a New God, so perhaps the shard would fully merge with them and give them full access.

Assuming that they were compatible.

30. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

When did Shilo Norman merge with his Mother Box? Last I saw his "mother box" was woven into his costume. So not really a mother "box" really.

And shards connect to their hosts through the Corona Pollentia, and control over the powers comes from the Gemma, parts of their brain. So powers come from an organic hardwired communication network between the parahuman and a Shard. Well except when the parahuman isn't organic, of course.

So my thinking was that even if the process didn't see the Shard as part of the body, it would see the connection as part of the body.

If I'm making sense.

ChestBurster, nick012000 and Cuchulin like this.