1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Here.
    No half measures, I'm afraid. It's either part of your divine concept, or it isn't.

2. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

You say that, but I'm older than you...

ChestBurster, DrThoth and Xmaster3000 like this.
  3. Threadmarks: Negetiations (part 16)
    Mr Zoat

12th August 2012
    19:33 GMT

The construct-image of K'ryssma nods.

"It is an experimental prototype. One of three. The other two are safely on Oa."

"Interesting." Hinon's construct looks genuinely interested. "I hadn't realised that the Guardians were still capable of that sort of creativity. Ganthet's work?"

K'ryssma hesitates, then appears to decide that there's no point lying to someone who can already make power rings.

"No. Guardian Meadlux was the designer. The project was suspended after his death, but his prototypes were preserved."

"And what was he trying to achieve? The core power ring design the Green Lantern Corps uses has been essentially unchanged since the Corps' inception."

"If you want to know that, you will have to speak with the Guardians."

"I may just do that. I take it that you don’t have a captured Scarab somewhere to give them?"

"Why would I reward their theft?"

"Probably for the same reason that you haven't already attacked them. It costs you something -or could cost you something- and you want to avoid that." I turn to the holographic image of Kalmin. "Are you willing to trade your antithesis ring for this?"

"No. It's the last one I have, and it's a potent reminder of my fall from grace." He regards K'ryssma impassively. "Let the Green Lantern Corps cover its own debts."

"We don't have a Scarab, I assume?"

"Not an intact one, no. Clarissi Dox has a plan to remedy that situation, but at the moment it isn't worth the effort it would likely require. I'll have Dox increase fleet alertness on their likely egress routes in case the Reach do get their hands on it, but unless Meadlux became a great deal cleverer than I remember him being, it shouldn't be a problem for us even if the Reach are about to evacuate it."

I look at Lantern K'ryssma.

"Is there a reason why you're not attempting to reclaim it legally?"

"Information is traded here as readily as products and services. We do not want knowledge of the existence of this ring to spread further than it already has."

That sounds dubious. I mean, how much do most people actually know about power ring technology? The symbol is widely known, but if a Green Lantern turned up with a working ring that happened not to have it, would that actually bother anyone? I wouldn't have thought so, but then again I can't claim to have actually conducted any sort of survey.

"I am more interested in what these freebooters want in exchange for the Scarab."

"They seemed more interested in studying it than in trading it. I can only assume that they've got a research centre somewhere, because they all scanned as standard pattern humanoids and that ship isn't anything like advanced enough to get anything out of a Scarab."

"If the Reach get that ring then I have failed in my mission."

"Right, but while we'd like to help, you're not exactly giving us a lot of reasons to prioritise this. Frankly, an unowned Scarab is more useful to us than whatever good will we'd get for recovering a ring you can't admit to having lost in the first place. I mean…" I turn to Hinon. "Am I wrong there?"

"No, not that I can see."

"And-. Anyway, why can't you just recall it? Guy and Jordan can remote control their rings and they can't be that much better than you."

"The container they are storing it in disrupts remote control. And I would prefer to avoid breaking local law."

"And you're trying to get me to do it?"

I mean, between phasing, invisibility, and my arcane abilities I probably could. Heck, I could probably just make them want to hand it over. But K'ryssma is obviously hiding something-.

"Sorry, just had an attack of common sense. Goodbye, Lantern K'ryssma." I dismiss her construct image and cut communications. "Ring, call Lantern Jordan."

"Compliance."

My ring blinks for a few moments, then Jordan's face appears.

"What is it, Paul?"

"I'm on a planet called Yuna, and someone has recovered an odd-looking power ring from D'xe and is trying to-"

"What?"

"-sell it to the Reach. Know anything about it?"

"Damn it! Did you get the ring?"

"No. That's not really my job, and Honour Guard Green Lantern K'ryssma is being suspiciously cagey about the whole thing. Anything you can tell me that might make me want to help out?"

He shakes his head.

"I don't know much about them. Three Green Lanterns in good standing used them, and they all went crazy. I thought I got them all back to the Guardians, but I guess I missed one. What does it look like?"

"Plain ring with a diamond with a hole in it in place of the sigil."

He nods.

"Yeah, that's it. They told me at the time they weren't meant for deployment, so they don't have any security on them. No recall, no shutdown… The Reach can just hand them to a Scarab Warrior and they'll have the best of both worlds." He shakes his head. "I'll talk to the Guardians, find out exactly how many rings are still missing."

"Thank you, I appreciate it."

"Thank me by keeping that ring away from the Reach."

His face vanishes, and I turn to Hinon.

"The Reach can't use it to make new rings, right?"

"Without knowing exactly what Meadlux did, it's impossible for me to say. Reach citizens have the mental flexibility that their thralls lack. With a power ring, one of them might have the focus to create more. But you're the mortal with the best command of any colour I've seen, and you haven't been able to make a decent personal lantern yet. I doubt that we'll have to worry about them churning the wretched things out."

"How long until a fleet can get into position?"

"This would seem to require something a little more potent than a patrol fleet. I will speak with Dox at once."

I nod.

"And I'll try and keep the Negotiator busy. Let's find out how serious the locals are about mediation."

Last edited: May 17, 2021
  4. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Missing a "

Well there's the fact that you'll keep a power ring away from Reach, and potentially other hostile, hands.

You don't really have a problem with that.

A rarity.

Oh Hinon. You have not heard of Murphy.

5. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

Would have loved a Common Sense interrupt here, unless he's just being totally facetious.

6. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

7. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

"Let's make a super prototype without any security. What could go wrong?" :D

Literally billions of years old idiot

8. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

Let's face it, that's kinda par for the course considering who made it.

9. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

(Reply delayed by weird-ass internet issues...)
    Well, good for them. Still doesn't excuse the fact that the third one is in the wild. Someone effed up somewhere, and guess who's likely to end up having to clean up the mess?

It's the most likely option, certainly. But evidently not, judging by the Lantern's responses...

Presumably either going for more power or more control. Because Guardians.

Man, to be a fly on the wall in that meeting.

I rather imagine him giving OL a flat stare at this. Still, it could be a worthwhile option. A Ring that basically kills its user within a day? Might be a useful poisoned chalice to throw at the Reach...

If they did, I doubt they'd let go of it for something like this.

So, not concerned about the possible 'unlimited charge' aspect of it? Then again, probably safer not to have Orange lanterns with unlimited charge anyway.

A secret more than one person knows is not a secret. It's a leak waiting to happen.

Besides a big fat paycheck? And honestly, a green ring without a sigil might sound good for something like covert ops, but the second you use it, your cover's good as blown. Because big glowing green objects? Too well associated with Lanterns.

Your mission is hardly a priority, honey. The Reach getting that ring will be bad for everyone.

True enough. Honestly, there isn't much point OL getting involved, in the end.

...Because recovering stolen property is illegal? Or would you have to give the case to the local law enforcement, which you can't allow to know about the Ring? Ugh, what a Charlie Foxtrot.

Too much effort, not enough reward.

!Quest rejected. Activating alternate Quest Path!

"And how many things are on fire this time?"

Good to see he remembers that name.

Go on, make it worth his while.

Okay, that's an issue. Now we have a general idea of why the Ring isn't being developed further...

:eek: ...No security... Oh, fuck me. :mad: Fucking Guardians! The only thing worse than Bobblehead Malware on your ring: A super-ring with no Bobblehead Malware at all. Seriously, what made them think it was a good idea to allow that thing outside of a lab without at least the basic security features installed? Oh, no, "We Guardians know better than everyone."

Well, knowing that it drives the user crazy fairly reliably is some small comfort. Still don't want it anywhere near the bad guys, though.

Then again, they may try to go for quantity over quality. Making an entire planet experience Will for long enough to make a ring, casualties bedamned, would be entirely in character.

Yes, I can just see his reaction... Why, he may experience two letters worth of rage.

So, basically blocking the deal form proceeding. I guess that might work.

Seriously, Guardians. What made them think field trials were a good idea without any method of controlling the Ring or shutting it down was a good idea? If it's 3 for 3 for Lanterns sent for a loop, it is not ready for primetime. And now OL's stuck helping to clean up the mess. At least its existence isn't general knowledge.

Also, shouldn't Kalmin's speech be Orange too, if he's communicating via ring?

10. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I can see many people who interact with Paul thinking this.

He's probably using his own device to talk.

He did it during that diplomatic conference.

11. Mr Zoat

To be fair, he left it in his laboratory on Oa. That would generally be considered pretty secure.
    No, the text is only orange if they're using the interring communication system or their text would be orange anyway. If they're just using the ring to transmit sound it's not orange. And Kalmin is using a quantum entanglement communicator because he hates using someone else's technology.

12. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I kinda wish there was a Common Sense interrupt before he says this.

13. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

From the storyline Zoat adapted this from, they didn't. Those green lanterns stole the super-rings from R&D when they found out that the Guardians were holding out on them.

Everything considered, those rings were probably only in alpha testing.

So really they don't have anyone else to blame for the whole going mad thing.

14. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

My interpretation was facetious.

15. CTrees

CTrees Chasing the ring

Maybe they're Gundam fans, and were hoping some teenager would stumble upon it? That sort of thing usually works great in that franchise.

Cuchulin and Rebu like this.
  16. SaltyWaffles

SaltyWaffles I trust you know where the happy button is?

Should be its.

Chojin Patriarch and Mr Zoat like this.
  17. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

Bramble Thorn and Prince Charon like this.
  18. Joelseph14

Joelseph14 Know what you're doing yet?

If there's a time skip and Paul returns for Young Justice Season 2 its gonna be funny if he pops up and the Reach are on Earth and Blue Beetle is just chilling in the mountain and he's just like "Wtf is going on here I was only gone for a few years"

Prince Charon, Cuchulin and Ardy like this.
  19. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Please note that the below link leads to the NSFW section.
    The picture here doesn't work. Not sure what it would show, but since it's John Constantine, it's either ridiculous, or gruesome.

20. Pez

Pez Spaceman

I'll admit that before a prototype Green Ring being shown, I was thinking it was the Platinum Ring. I like this idea much better.

Prince Charon and Cuchulin like this.
  21. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

This may actually happen.

I think Zoat once said that paragon will come back to Earth to find the Reach there and proceeds to use them as target practice.

Xmaster3000 likes this.
  22. Mr Zoat

I think that was the meeting where he hit them with a Total Perspective Vortex. I'll change the picture when I get home.

23. webxro

webxro Benevolent Bystander

Wait, am I being dumb or something ? Jordan said that there were 3 rings used by lanterns in good standing and he got them all and gave them to the smurfs, the lady that I don't remember the name says that there 2 lanterns back on Oa. So who took one of the rings from Oa and gave it to those guys ?

24. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

I'm having a flash back to an old episode of JAG....USA sends lawyer-pilot to country x to try and negotiate the return of a downed aircraft. Pilot's objective, if the thing can't be returned is to destroy it.

Pilot manages to booby trap the thing so it'll crash on take off, and THEN finds out the country was SUPPOSED to get the plane, and his attempts to negotiate were to make the whole thing seem legit. The CIA hid malware in the thing that would mess with folks duplicating it. So the pilot had to go BACK and Un-booby trap the thing.

If Jordan DID get all 3 rings....how this one got back out into the wild MIGHT be a Guardian ploy. A bit of the Left hand not knowing what the Right Hand is doing with regards to the Greenies, but Once again OL lumbers into the middle of it like a bull in a china shop.

25. Radiant Knight

Radiant Knight Phoenix Fire

They didn't do 'field trials', the lanterns in question learned about the ring's existence from a third party (this was during the height of the 'yellow impurity' issues). So they broke into the lab, kicked the Guardian developing them in the nuts and stole the prototypes.

26. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

I wanna say that the WoZ was that whatever event caused Ted's death, and Jaime's coming upon the Scarab was butterflied out of existence by the SI's actions.

27. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

The Book of Destiny isn't usually so easily thwarted.

Cuchulin likes this.
  28. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

Technically most of the chain of events necessary to justify it happened when the Angels attacked Ted Kord industries as punishment for helping Paul, and Jaime being on site during the attack is also justified by the protests being done by Christians (Jaime and his mom?) before the angels destroyed the place.

So the Scarab being in the wild is justified, at the same time Zoat has gone out of its way to mention scarabs specially recon and deep infiltration models (like blue and green beetle) have the ability to avoid detection from ring scans with their stealth mode, so that justifies Khaji da not being found by Paul earlier...even more so when we know Khaji da has been modified by Isis magic.

So the justification for Jaime getting the scarab do exist if Mr Zoat wants to go for it, and considering how many fans Khaji da/Jaime has as one of the best characters from season two of the original show, he may go for it... But is still his choice.

Green beetle is probably also active at this point, abusing it's stealth mode to gather information on earth.

Anyways, Khaji da being included in the fic would be sweet, but not if it's going to be included for a single episode to have said episode resolution ending with its destruction... Khaji da changing Paul opinion on scarabs to the point he would label them as slaves of the reach instead of being particularly clever equipment would be ideal in my book

29. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Even if Jaime doesn't get a scarab doesn't mean he can't be included in this fic.

Maybe he'll visit Metropolis and get possessed by the Blackrock symbiote.

Maybe a meteorite lands in his backyard and be becomes a Guyv...Zuggernaut.

Or get the Minion suit.

Or thanks to interdimensional shenanigans he gets a necrofloral symbiote.

Or gets the Khepri scarab.

There are plenty of macguffins to go around. :)

30. Chatios

Chatios Getting some practice in, huh?

Unlike Canon, Paul has zero reason not to annihilate the Reach if they show up on Earth. It's not like anyone on Earth could do anything about it if he showed up with a Nemo Fleet, or the Ophidian.

Prince Charon and Cuchulin like this.