1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

SHINOBI: The RPG - New Game

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Fulcon, Jun 17, 2020.

1. MasterMarx

MasterMarx The Most Ridiculous Boss

Sounds a lot easier to write about, since generally Hunter Nin don't have the time to interrogate their targets unless they were specifically assigned a retrieval mission instead of their usual search & destroy (as in, kill the target and annihilate the corpse) fare.

Relyt33 and Fulcon like this.
  2. aj0413

aj0413 Fluffy~~

I still fail to understand how Anko remotely finds Daisuke physically attractive or relationship material; I actually wonder if she's in a healthy mindset at all really given the allusions to failed past relationships.

I kinda wonder if others looking at this in the setting don't think anything strange of it?

I keep flipping the genders in my head and going: "Well, that would be one way to quickly ignite a flame war on the inter webs. If people thought the last chapter was at all worth debating."

edit:

I am partially convinced that the entire relationship is only happening because Anko is fundamentally NOT all there.

paloswag and Relyt33 like this.
  3. Fulcon

Fulcon Not working on it anymore. Sorry.

Definitely easier to write about.

I considered Anko to be a pretty...disgusting character because of fanon, something I intensely regret.

Then I do not believe I can convince you. Sorry.

Kalaong, Relyt33 and MasterMarx like this.
  4. aj0413

aj0413 Fluffy~~

It's cool lol I don't need to exactly understand Ankos shota-fetish to enjoy the ride :)

edit:

still find the lack of audience fallout over it ironic given the last chapter reactions though lmao

5. Fulcon

Cool beans.

Kalaong and Relyt33 like this.
  6. MasterMarx

Oh, yeah, I'm well aware of the ways pervasive fanon can distort canon characters and concepts. I could probably go all day... probably shouldn't, though. In the meantime I'll buckle in for what promises to be an interesting ride exploring Anko's character and relationship with Daisuke and... whoever else they end up close to.

7. Fulcon

I believe the people who thought last chapter was bad dropped the fic when I didn't immediately change it.

It just confuses me, honestly. How can so many people be so wrong?

I hope it's good and entertaining.

Kalaong, Warer, Relyt33 and 1 other person like this.
  8. MasterMarx

The interesting thing is that the main reason depends on the fandom- though in the case of Naruto it's probably just people not actually reading the source material before fanfics and assuming the fanfics are correct.
    In some cases, it's a combination of a lack of translated Word of God material, said author being a fuckin' troll and also some fanfics putting up interesting ideas, as is the case with the Nasuverse and oh god is the state of that fandom horrible in the West. Most fanfics you'll read will undoubtedly portray about half of the major concepts or more completely incorrectly because they both believe the fanfics are correct and have no reliable way to fact-check. It took me literal months to fully separate fact from fanfiction when I started trying, and even then I had to luck into finding some translations on SB- a couple are linked in my sig.

Relyt33 likes this.
  9. Fulcon

That...that makes sense. Language barrier can be insurmountable without effective translators and waiting for those translators can be too long for some zealous authors.

*whistles*

A trolling creator is not something that I would have anticipated. Not going to lie.

10. anirocks

anirocks always lurking

Yeah it's had me strike as weird as well. Especially since anko has trust issues due to orochimaru's betrayal
    Hidan is it you

11. Fulcon

Ooh, you're right! I can use this, thank you. :)

No, but Hidan has an association with this character. :)

Kalaong, anirocks and Relyt33 like this.
  12. MasterMarx

It's either that or one person comes up with an interesting AU idea, and then someone reads the fanfic and misses the fact that it's an AU, writes a fanfic with some of the ideas and it kind of permeates from there.
    Oh god, I could go all day. That's not even getting into- no, no, gotta stop there. Wrong thread.

13. Fulcon

Like a twisted form of the telephone game. I wish I could watch that sort of thing happen in real time, that kind of data would be amazing to see.

Shoot me a PM if you care.

Kalaong, MasterMarx and Relyt33 like this.
  14. Relyt33

Relyt33 Know what you're doing yet?

No that’s Jashin. Hidan’s god

15. Fulcon

Have a cookie, you've got a good memory! :D

16. MasterMarx

Nah, I just needed a sec to calm down- it's all good. Thanks for the offer, though

17. Fulcon

Well, since I got you here, did you like anything else about the chapter? Anything to say about the previous chapter and it's...edit?

18. Danga

Danga Free bird

I think that this a great story but I won't be the biggest fan of harem as it kills muh immersion but I hope to see more.

paloswag and Fulcon like this.
  19. Fulcon

I can respect that position. Thank you for remaining along.

20. MasterMarx

Anko considering the potential tea sets and how they'd symbolically represent her relationship with Daisuke was... really interesting, and I liked it a lot. It added a lot of passive depth to her character, and let us deeper into her thought process alongside her consideration of recent events.

In terms of Retrieval... hm. The edited bit was a nice touch, and the last line of the changes made me laugh. But, uh, the rest of the chapter felt pretty clunky and ham-fisted on a reread; and in retrospect, the arc felt a bit too abbreviated compared to how well-fleshed-out the house was in the same number of chapters... which admittedly contributes to my feeling that the latter two thirds of Retrieval felt off.

I'm having a bit of trouble putting it into words, sorry.

NightmareWarden, Relyt33 and Fulcon like this.
  21. Relyt33

You know I’m reminded of a post that I’ve saved a while back, can’t remember where I got it from, but I’m pretty sure it’s accurate, or at least not derailing here.
    I mean it’s the reason you don’t see a lot of Lord of the Rings fics they’re pretty much open and close there.

Fulcon and MasterMarx like this.
  22. Fulcon

I'm glad you said so.

Thank you very much for your critique, I will consider it.

Think bringing Team 9 along really messed with me. Because while I knew what I wanted to do with Lee and Gai...I did not know what to do with Neji and Tenten.

I think some extra changes are in order.

Have a cookie.

I appreciate the information! This is interesting, thank you. :)

23. MasterMarx

In the vein of that, Team 9 as a whole felt pretty... tertiary to the reveal scene in particular. Like they weren't supposed to be there, except for Gai to accidentally set up Sarutobi completely destroying Hisako's heart in the next scene.

Also, on the topic of Sarutobi, that exact conversation felt like it should've happened... maybe after they actually made it back to the village? They were at a point in time where Saru'd be more focused on the security of the Leaf and Hiashi'd be more focused on the security of his clan than... basically trying to curry favor with Daisuke. I was expecting a scene more along the lines of Saru and Hiashi inspecting the box's sealwork and reading any documents that'd survived Daisuke's fight with the missing nin, while also conversing with the ninja who'd foiled the kidnapping attempt about the kidnapping attempt.

24. Fulcon

Yes, I agree. This is all true.

...again, I appreciate the feedback.

*grumbles*: I hate Team 9.

25. MasterMarx

snerks Uh, to be honest it seems more like you had a very clear picture of where you wanted to be at the end of this arc, but kind of ended up speedrunning it to get there instead of fleshing everything out.

26. Fulcon

As the guy writing the fic, I had no idea what to do with Tenten and Neji was fuzzy but I had no clear route in my head about how to handle him.

27. Galacticplumber

Galacticplumber Not too sore, are you?

Fair, but hey, eating your greens is how you get to Kitsune hype, and the midgame. And you did do a reasonable job of them compared to canon.

Gai is excellent life giver, Lee is best cinnamon roll, early Neji is a rancid dick pickle being set up to fall to Naruto taking Daisuke's sloppy seconds, and Ten-Ten actually has some measure of purpose being support for Hisako.

Everyone is equivalent or better quality to their canon portrayals.

Fulcon, Relyt33 and MasterMarx like this.
  28. MasterMarx

That's as good a reason to hate writing Team 9 as any I suppose, but I was being honest when I said it felt like you were speedrunning the arc. Reading back through, it's as if you had two goals in mind: "Get Daisuke's RPG-ness revealed" and "get the harem idea out in the open and a source of conflict with Hisako", and didn't quite care how you got there as long as it was by the end of the quest.
    I agree with this, you did write the characters themselves well.

Fulcon, Relyt33 and NightmareWarden like this.
  29. SebazuD

SebazuD Experienced.

I liked Anko's bit.
    Anyone who has ever read a ton of fanfiction in their youth can sympatize with Fanmade content twisting their perspective on characters.

I mean, just remember how many people though PerfectLionhart was actually a good writer.

To be honest the biggest peeve with this story at the moment is having made Naruto into someone who doesnt really train because he doesnt see Daisuke train.

It kind of takes a really important part of his character for a really nonsensical reason.

Relyt33 and MasterMarx like this.
  30. Relyt33

Thank you. *Takes cookie. Eats it.* Hhhhmmmmm digital triple chocolate deliciousness. I can taste the 1s and 0s. Also no problem with the information. I’ve been meaning to share that for a while, but I just couldn’t find a good reason to share it until now.

MasterMarx likes this.