1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    Yes, it does have that advantage.
    No, the two go together. If you were told that waving around a red flag would make a crate of food appear, you wouldn't believe it. Even if it turned out that the red flag was a standard sign to request aid and the food was teleported in. Alonzo is saying that even if the claim turned out in part to be true, he wouldn't believe it until he understood the mechanism.
    Some people play Total Warhammer like that. Give a fighty lord the Sword of Khaine and solo armies.

2. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Bring. Me. Battle.

Edit:This post has been enhanced with additional unending carnage. For Khorne!

Last edited: May 24, 2021
  3. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

This right here. If you rule a small group, you can spend all day fucking, drinking, and beating people.
    If you rule a country, you have to do shitloads of executive work, and try to work in the fucking, drinking, and beating whenever you have a free spot in your schedule.

4. Threadmarks: Negetiations (part 23)
    Mr Zoat

20th August 2012
    08:12 GMT

"Oh, is that all."

I can't help but sag slightly as Hinon studies the novel ring floating above her right hand.

"Not that interesting?"

"Aside from possibly implying that Guardian Meadlux was intending to have children, no. Do you want one like it in orange? I know you were used to having two rings."

"Children?"

"Yes? We were once what you would call 'standard pattern humanoids'. We customarily reproduced in the standard fashion. I myself remain perfectly capable of having children."

"You told me that you don't have children 'to give the rest of us a chance'."

"A slightly flippant but essentially accurate answer. But maltusian children are extremely energy-intensive to raise. With a human infant a human parent must worry about protecting it from the environment as it will die if it becomes too hot or too cold. Maltusian infants have the power of we adults but not our hard-won control. Or our experience."

I nod.

"I can see why that sort of power in the hands of a baby could be a problem. Particularly on a world where not everyone is as tough as you."

"Socially, the difference in experience was probably a more significant factor. Creating a crèche world would hardly be a great trial for us. We spoke of the vast difference in life experience between you and I?"

"Yes."

"If you sired a child, then within thirty years they would be nearly as old as you are now. And I imagine that you would expect them to be mentally more or less on your level by then. Humans tend to begin losing their faculties in their… Seventies?"

"It.. varies, but yes, at that age, without this ring, I would expect to be physically and mentally less capable."

"We never do. But our children are only as experienced as yours would be. Thirty or forty years is an easily bridgeable gulf. A million? A maltusian child born now would have more in common with you."

"Are.. you.. coming on to me?"

"No, but if I ever completely take leave of my senses, I may call upon your services as a childminder."

I grin.

"You know, I'm actually up for that. So… This ring: it's just the maltusian equivalent of stabilisers on a child's bike?"

"That's the base he was working from. The design which allows younger races like yours to use the glow grew from that, but it seems that he went back to the original and tried a different approach." She shakes her head and slips the ring into her robes. "There were perfectly good reasons why we didn't take this approach the first time around, but perhaps he thought that he could do a better job of it."

"You worked on the first power rings?"

"No, as I said, the first rings were made as tools for the education of our children. I worked on the adaptation of that technology, which became a good deal more important once the Manhunters proved themselves so unreliable."

"Who was it that programmed them again?"

She looks at me, mildly affronted.

"Don't look at me. The only part I played in that was to approve a trial run. If I'd been running the project, there would have been a Guardian on-site to monitor them."

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to imply that you were personally at fault."

She looks away again.

"Don't mention it."

"I've always been a bit puzzled about how that happened. I mean, I don't always agree with the Guardians' decisions, but setting loose an army of robots without any monitoring, with programming that could lead them to conclude that killing every living thing in a Space Sector was a reasonable thing to do… That suggests incompetence, and that's not something I associate the Guardians with."

"I never got a straight answer either. The Guardians involved seemed to be… We don’t really do bewildered, but the next best thing, about the whole issue."

"Other Guardians."

"Given that that was the day I left, I think I can reasonably exclude myself."

"Alright. So: the ring. Why did it make those Green Lanterns act up?"

"As you know, the Guardians elected to use the green light due to the fact that out of all of the colours it has the least effect on the mind of the user. 'Least' isn't the same as 'none'."

"Right, but in a normal Lantern it's barely noticeable."

"Thank you. It's nice that my efforts are appreciated. This ring rather does away with all of the safeties."

"Because why would children need those?"

"Maltusian children don't need the same sort of safeties that younger species do. A normal power ring uses its colour at several steps removed. The light itself, the Central Power Battery, the Personal Lantern and then finally the ring. Dealing with any of the lights directly exposes a mind to everything about that emotion, not merely that emotion as it exists in the user's mind."

"And that's what that ring does?"

"No, but it's closer to that than is a good idea for mortal Lanterns."

"How about for me?"

"Oh, you could certainly use it. I'm just not convinced that you would still be you afterwards. You recall what you were like while merged with the Ophidian?"

I frown.

"Yes, but I still knew the difference between our desires and the desires of the people around me."

"Do you want to forget that?"

"No, that sounds like a bad idea. I assume the stabiliser ring didn’t have that functionality?"

"No, they predate our use of the glow. The similarity is more or less incidental."

"Would they work for someone else? Say, if Lantern Gardner wanted to bond with Ion without being overwhelmed?"

"Not… Exactly, though it could help him if Ion merely volunteered to augment him. Why?"

"Oh, just asking in case." I smile at her. "Thank you, Controller Hinon. I need to go and report to Dox."

Last edited: Jun 4, 2021
  5. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

So Paul is the equivalent of a Maltusian baby.

Alan may be disappointed.

'an army'

'safeties'

Is the next episode paragon or renegade focused?

6. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Aww, how cute :3

Baby's First Mind Altering, Planet Destroying Weapon

"You don't know him? He's the most powerful member of the Maltusian government!"

"What? But he isn't Maltusian?"

"No, he is their babysitter whenever they need a break. They all do whatever he wants!"

7. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

Sooo, is he thinking of giving that ring to Alan to complete his apotheosis?

8. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Zoat, in the spoiler box page this chapter has 19th August above it.

Either change the date on this chapter or the one in the spoiler box page.

9. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    The focus of the next episode is the SI.

10. Metabolicjosh

Metabolicjosh Experienced.

So, are you using the lore from Blackest Night and Brightest Day and the characters in this scene just don’t know about it, or is our lovely lady friend lying to us about the origin of light, lanterns, rings and the technology thereof?

11. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Well, that's anti-climactic. But then, she's tied directly to Spectrum energies. A ring is not as powerful as she is in its' manipulation. But for the mundane mortals of the universe, it's still a step up...

Given the Ring has the 'charge ∞' trait, I would be hard pressed to refuse. The extra charge would be useful, I guess. On the other hand, if it requires the same level of mental realignment, regardless of color...

...Please, that's not really an image I want. God, could you imagine her with pregnancy munchies, or mood swings?

So it becomes more about protecting the environment from the children. Talk about an 'enfant terrible'... A tantrum might lay waste to a whole planet, if not an entire system...

Yes, there're few races that can make kryptonians look squishy... But maltusians are pretty high on, if not at the top of, that list...

A gulf of difference closer in size to the Pacific Ocean, if you will...

And that assuming you haven't been rattling your faculties with chemical entertainments... An Orange Ring being everything but chemical...

...That's what you take away from that? Goddammit, OL. She basically called you a toddler! You are like a baby to her. A quirky, trouble-prone baby that thankfully managed to achieve toilet-training. AKA Enlightenment.

And if it's that much stronger than a regular Ring... What does that say about them?

So... Meadlux was trying to reinvent the wheel? Or rather, the training wheel? ...Blade said it best: "There's always some motherfucker trying'a ice-skate uphill."

Krona, if my memory serves me correctly. No point razzing Hinon over it.

And not the one who oversaw the project. That would just scream of corrupted experimental results.

No, seriously, don't... I rather suspect it's something of a sore point for her.

Evidently someone forgot to set logical bounds on their adaptive AI. You're lucky they only decided, "If crime is committed by the living, then all life must be judged at fault." The last time I saw that logic, it resulted in Judge Death and friends.

Man, that must have been one hell of a day in the Guardians' chambers...

Yes, we've noticed how Greenies tend to be unbending and rigidly stubborn, to stupid extents...

Ah, so my analogy of a firehose compared to a squirt-gun is more apt than I thought. Unfortunately, those safeties would be there for a reason, eh?

And minds less adapted to that level of exposure than a maltusian tend to break under the stress? At least that helps to remind us why Orange Lanterns aren't so 'Mine-MINE-MINE!" crazy as Larfleeze was. They're getting it filtered through more layers than the 'straight from the battery' treatment he did.
    Like, say, Orange Juice. Lanterns are getting their stuff strained and sweetened. Larfleeze was getting it straight from the juicer, gristle, pulp and all

Less filtered, and thus more stressful on the mental weak-points of the wearer. And the Lanterns whole stole them broke.

To continue the analogy, OL-Phidian was eating the oranges. Whole. I don't think that's an improvement...

Somethign you've been havign a little trouble with after your last death. Maybe spend a bit of time communing with Best Snek?

Why would a maltusian child need that? Their minds are built to control the Spectrum. It only takes a matter of time to learn self-control...

...OL, No. Do not go fiddling with a good thing. Guy is fine as he is.

So, don't mind any yelling in the next couple of hours. Got you.

A fine summation of 'experimental rings bad for little mortals'. And some nice insight into Maltusian developmental logistics, and the early history of the Guardians. How much of it is stuff Hinon dumbed down for OL, and thus the audience, to understand is debatable... Still, it looks like things are all wrapped up for the Yuna mission, bar Dox's shouting. Or at least passive-aggressive grumping.

"Given that that was the day I left...

Last edited: May 25, 2021
  12. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Did you really expect anything different from Paul?

Now if only he learned other skills.

And banishing a lot of people to a cornfield.

Though that could also be how they were before they got the ring, or just started becoming more like that by themselves without influence from the Green Light, because it helped them use their rings better.

It hasn't stopped him before.

13. Radiant Knight

Radiant Knight Phoenix Fire

We've been getting a lot of really old lore lately, so it's likely that that's taking precedence. I suspect that at this point Zoat's seething dislike towards Post-Flashpoint material probably means that the closer one gets to flashpoint, the less 'canon' any given material is.

Even though DC had two more crisis/timeline resets since then, even going so far as to undo Flashpoint's major changes, they're still ruining Green Lantern. Just... ugh. There's some neat ideas in there, but also a lot of stupid. Maybe the new canon will be better now that Golden/Silver age is in mainline continuity again, but I doubt it.

14. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Given that's not how/why the rings were created in any continuity the real question this chapter is whether Hinon was lying to paragon or whether Zoat decided to rewrite everything for no real reason.

Sojiko, Otto von Saurion and Cuchulin like this.
  15. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I'm curious on whether or not Paul actually has a plan for that ring, which is why he asked that in the first place. Maybe he can have Alan dual wield, since he's already got a green center inside his blue shell?

16. The Unaligned Player

The Unaligned Player Agony that desires to meet Extinction

Curious about what the effects of having all seven standard flavors of Malthusian Child Rings would be, because “You are the Life Entity.” Is my unbaked thought.

17. Mr Zoat

I'm not using the stupid First Lantern version of Volthoom, if that's what you're referring to.
    I don't believe that's been established in this story.
    Thank you, corrected.

18. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Huh. Must have gotten the wrong impression from earlier comments (Found it: Webxro mentioned a 'Ring which didn't need charging' after chapter 15 that went uncommented on and I leapt on that and the desirability... Mea Culpa. I'll go back and edit my assumptions in a bit...) Still, I'm sure there's some benefits for an Orange Ring of its style... :sneaky: Some minor buff Hinon didn't care to mention...

Bramble Thorn likes this.
  19. Assblaster5000

I ate a mini-orange whole once. I can confirm it's very much so not an improvement to fresh juice.

I... I feel like that says more about me than anything.

Don't do stupid, kids.

Edit:I really am just that stupid, huh? Fixed punctuation.

20. Metabolicjosh

Metabolicjosh Experienced.

... don’t do stupid, kids. I made a stupid comment that had its entire meaning changed because I quoted your statement and it doesn’t have a comma in it.

21. Assblaster5000

[​IMG]

Prince Charon likes this.
  22. Steelplaza

Steelplaza Custom Title

We all know the real reason behind the Manhunters is comic books, but if I wanted to rationalize them in this story here's an idea.

In this story Zoat has occasionally emphasized that "Guardians of the Universe" is a puffed-up and entirely inaccurate title. His version of the Guardians the Green Lantern Corps only patrol the local galaxy. I get that. Given the mind-bogglingly large size of the universe, if you tried to split it up 3600 ways each Lantern would be patrolling galaxies like grains of sand. However, the title "Guardians of the Universe" shows the scope of their ambitions, doesn't it? They would like to patrol the universe, but it's impossible.... so long as you're depending on an organization that has to be personally run by a handful of Guardians and reports back to them. Thus the emphasis on the Manhunters as independent. A self-regulating, self-perpetuating swarm of aggressively hegemonizing Justice Machines to swarm the Universe. Talk about dreaming big.

23. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

The fact the thing STILL didn't have a remote shutdown... no wonder the Guardians would give any decent engineer ulcers.

Prince Charon and Ardy like this.
  24. Mr Zoat

The rings were stolen out of a laboratory on Oa. They were never meant to be released into the wild.

25. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

I forget, do we know how they were stolen from Oa in the first place? I think the Free Lancers just got the ring from that gone-evil/crazy Green Lantern, right?

The existence of someone both capable of breaching security on Oa and actively willing to do so seems like a major issue. The first crack-y idea that popped into my head were Indigo Lanterns, since it's been a while since we've seen them.

Ardy likes this.
  26. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Wrong.

From the FAQ that nobody reads including Zoat-

"All parts of the galaxy not specifically excluded by treaty have Lanterns assigned to them, as well as parts of intergalactic space and good chunks of the two nearest galaxies. Within a Sector forty-fifty inhabited worlds is the norm. Outside this area a major problem may well receive the attention of an Honour Guard strike force, with perhaps a garrison if the problem looks to be ongoing. The Corps is slowly expanding (Rot Lop Fan's homeworld is a highly radioactive place in intergalactic space) but the bigger it gets the harder it is to run and there aren't more Guardians to whom the existing ones can pass on responsibility."

So their territory extends into three galaxies and the intergalactic space between them.

27. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

The only one that I don't know how he's coping with his job is Clarissi Salaak.

The Guardians are a few, and as Maltusians they are able to do more than a few things at the same time and they are already at the limit of what they can cope with their responsibilities. How the fuck does Salaak manage his responsibilities as administrative commander of the Corps?

Oh, and regarding this crazy ring, have we seen the son of Abin Sur? I think we have but I can't recall. If not him, maybe it's Manhunter plot to discredit the Green Lanterns? Or it could be Sinestro?

Cuchulin likes this.
  28. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

we saw sur’s kid when OL fought the dude with the anti monitors armor fragment. He’s a dick and a pirate

Lord Ernest likes this.
  29. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

We saw him in the Ways and Means episode.

He tried to steal a fleet of ships and give it to pirates so they could raid Sector 2814.

Paul stopped him and arrested him.

30. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Oh and for anyone wondering, in the comics yes child Maltusians are dangerous.

"Send you to the cornfield" dangerous.

For example, Maltus used to have a mosquito equivalent.

Then one bit a Malthusian child, and the child made the entire species disappear.

So the Maltusians decided not to have kids to save the universe from genocidal temper tantrums.

Which the writers remembered for a long time, even when the Guardians reconciled with the Zamarons and decided to create a new generation, they went to another universe for everyone's safety.

Which makes Kyle bringing the Guardians back as children a rather bad idea, though. lol