1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mastigos2

Mastigos2 Versed in the lewd.

Ohhhhh boy this is going to be an experience isn't it? We're finally going to see exactly how the highest echelon's of Earth's malign hypercognitives stack up against the technological pinnacle of the galaxy

2. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I wouldn't call Maltus the very pinnacle of technological advancement in the galaxy, as there are some places that can compete.

3. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

Well well, let’s see which lucky Qwardian is going to fall in love tonight.

Hey gang? Does anyone suspect that Brainiac will try to retrieve valuable materials, species, etc. once the Reach’s defenses are sufficiently cracked? Maybe perform some exotic weapons tests along the way?

4. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Sounds like the Alignment's government has finally realised which way the winds of revolution are blowing, and are looking to at least get out of this with their heads still attached. Too bad there's a lot of angry people who have plans otherwise.

Ah, I see someone in the government's going the easiest route: Kill off your buddies and hope that earns you enough goodwill to stay alive.

...That is a good point. Xor is impressively loyal to OL. What happens when that loyalty collides with an order he doesn't want to carry out?

Eh, what's one more soldier going to do, even one with a good grasp on the shamanistic aspects of Orange Light usage? Unless he's somehow learned to Greediport in the time away, at most he's a prospect for one of the first Honour Guard positions.

Well, to be fair, the Reach has had a lot longer to become as proficient at what evil they do. The Alignment is what, a couple of hundred years old? I doubt they could ever be as bad as the Reach after even a thousand.

Yes, and? We've seen that Xor is willing to refuse orders when it's what he wants to believe is right. OL is at least savvy enough to know that Xor would be in a very rough position if that order was given.

Remind me, how large is the Alignment's space? Ten systems? Twenty? And rebuilding that after this revolution will be a lifetime's work... The Reach's empire is a hundred times larger at least.

You mean the peoples they habitually drive to extinction, whether by neglect, malice or simple stupidity?

And what's left... Well, Maltus is going to have quite the empire on its hands by then.

Well, he's known it for most of his life, of course he would be. Perhaps he needs someone to show him other ways... Hint, hint.

Ever tried to keep a curious Orange Lantern in one part of space when they're on a trek?

Ah, well played, OL. Make it sound like you have ulterior motives for having Xor do exactly what he want to. He'll probably work all the harder to make his people better as an example, and think he's following your orders to do so the whole time.

No monarch, so the British system won't work... Pity, would have been amusing to see both Paragon and Renegade suggest that at around the same time.

It could take years... Decades even. Sure you'll be happy with that? With him running off to put out brush fires on the borders?

It says "We came, we saw, we kicked their ass!" Certainly, it shows Xor's faction has the muscle to prove their point...

Exactly. "Don't make us come over there." Is a good way to rule, until people settle down enough.

And back to the day job...

...Though when the commute is this easy, coming in on a day is never a hassle.

...Did Tad try to make a greediport interdiction device? 'Try' begin the operative word, of course.

...Oh, dear. That's never good. A Sivana without a clear goal is trouble waiting to happen. Of course, a Sivana with a clear goal is trouble in progress! :V

Ah, good, both twins accounted for.

That pause does not sound encouraging. But at least Thaddeus is trying.

"Medigel. I always have a supply on hand for just these occasions."

Is someone feeling a little annoyed Daddy is spending less time performing cruel and unusual acts upon Science! with them?

...And speaking of cruel and unusual acts upon Science! Hey, at least Georgia might get some face-to-face time with Dox. :confused: Hopefully as 'big brother and little sister' than anything.. creepier.

Oh, I have the feeling that if the Sivana family learns of the Reach's misdeeds, they're going to get inspired... And Maltus is gonna have some excellent Earth Bullshit™ on their side. Seriously, if this visit does not end in shenanigans and maybe explosions, I will feel cheated. :p

5. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

That should be 'than'.

I think that should be 'be happy to live'.

6. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Who knows.

Maybe Xor would be a major player in the war.

The three of those things aren't so different once you think about it.

Assuming the Controllers want it.

They may view it as just being unnecessary and let the races they protect have it for themselves.

Aside from maybe some planets they find interesting.

No matter which way it goes, it ends with someone on fire.

I think it may be more romantic.

At least that's what I think.

Both of them share a lot of similarities, so maybe that can lead to romance.

They're both brilliant scientists, both of them are awkward, both have evil fathers, though Georgia has a better relationship with her dad.

And based on Dox' romantic relationship with Komand'r in the comics, we know that if a woman is of the boiling a rabbit alive level of crazy, then that's not an issue for him.

I don't think you'll feel cheated.

7. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

It was there when I posted it.
    She has a thing for Lantern Xor.
    Thank you, corrected.
    Thank you, corrected.

8. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

So how do you think they'll react to not being the smartest ones in the room?

9. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

If their father is smarter than them, then their reaction may be more sane since they're used to someone being smarter.

Granted, we're talking about two mad scientists here, so 'sane' is relevant.

10. SaltyWaffles

SaltyWaffles I trust you know where the happy button is?

Are you kidding? They'd probably be elated. It means that there are other people for them to learn from.

11. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

I was remembering Kalmin's comments about him and Paragon eventually having to face off since their ultimate aims conflict, which leads me to ask; what's the natural lifespan of Weaponers/Qwardians? I figure they're not simply the Anti-matter universe's equivalent of Maltusians, because they don't demonstrate the same levels of personal power, so I don't have a baseline.

12. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

It could be possible for him to extend his lifespan.

Given the advance tech the Qwardians have that shouldn't be too difficult.

Otto von Saurion and Ardy like this.
  13. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Mr Zoat, random question. What Sector is Maltus in? I don't think it's ever been said.

14. Mr Zoat

Pass.
    Pass. It won't matter, anyway.

15. AngelicKnight.

AngelicKnight. Lewd demon of negotiable affection

Sounds more like the first aid spray from resident evil.

16. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

If Onigar keeps working with him she might become a Violet Lantern?

I'm also looking forward to ths trip!

Georgia and Dox, huh?

17. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

Oh I don't mean that. I mean specifically the dealing with them by making giant hands and going squish, no creativity, ingenuity or even targeting of weak points needed. I never doubted that Paul could win with ease. I just think it would be better to keep his power level in a way that he has to take it seriously for a couple of minutes and pay attention to what he's doing.

Prince Charon likes this.
  18. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

I'm not sure what punctuation you meant after "crackle", but that ain't it, boss.

19. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

20. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

Compass

verb - archaic
    verb: compass; 3rd person present: compasses; past tense: compassed; past participle: compassed; gerund or present participle: compassing
    1. 1.​
      go around (something) in a circular course.
      "the ship wherein Magellan compassed the world"
      • surround or enclose on all sides.
        "they were compassed with numerous fierce and cruel tribes"
    2. 2.​
      contrive to accomplish (something).
      "he compassed his end only by the exercise of violence"

21. Threadmarks: Onslaught (supplementary, Renegade Option)
    Mr Zoat

23rd August 2012
    20:02 GMT -7

I look into the audience as I trot out onto the stage. Full to overflowing, which is a little surprising given the topic under discussion. And the fact that… Well, ponies know that I'm involved with the innovations in their military, the recent resurgence of Earth Pony magic and… With their princess, but without modern media it's a little hard to work out exactly how much of an awareness there is of me in pony society. Or… Anything, really. News travels slow, and unlike Britain at an equivalent level of technology their print media is… Basic.

But at least there's a microphone. I step up to it and make eye contact with a cross section of the audience.

"Heresy. When I first chose that as the title of this lecture, I wasn’t sure how familiar everyone would be with the pony word for the concept. In fact, in your language it doesn't have the same connotations as it does in mine at all. Where I'm from, it is most commonly applied to heterodox religious beliefs, rather than to divergent beliefs in general. And of course, ponies are… Herd animals. It didn't seem entirely impossible to me that there flat out wasn't a single word for it."

I make eye contact with Sunset who's here under an illusion as her pre-ascension self, alongside Twilight Sparkle. Luna's doing something similar, though she's picked a less recognisable face.

"But there is, and here we are. And before I reveal my particular heresy to you, let's establish a few points of commonality."

"Every pony is born with a special talent. The newborn foal will likely not be aware of it, or.. really, even be aware of anything very much. But it's there, and by the time they reach adolescence they will most likely both know what it is and have a-"

I half-turn and toss my head back towards my own haunch stamp.

"-colourful mark related to it on their bottom. In older pony societies that marked the point at which a pony would be considered a young adult rather than a child; when they might enter an apprenticeship or trade school rather than continue participating in general education. That's not the case now, as it's generally accepted that ponies need a wider range of education just to function in an increasing complex society, but getting a cutie mark is still considered a major life event. At the last census a full ninety two percent of ponies in employment reported that they worked professionally in areas relating to their special talents, with most of the rest being in temporary work or in associated fields."

"I don't think I've said anything particularly contentious so far. Have I?"

A few head-shakes.

"But let's look at it again. All ponies have special talents."

I pause for effect.

"All ponies. Not just ponies who have gained their cutie marks. All ponies. That newborn foal has a special talent just as much as each of you does. You're more aware of yours, you've achieved more in your field… But the talent is still there. Indeed, most reports on the subject state that in many cases the ponies closest to a pre-mark pony have a pretty good idea what sort of mark they'll develop well before they finally manifest it. It's true in some cases a mark appears the first time a young pony is exposed to a particular idea and something clicks in their head at once… But more frequently the manifestation involves a moment of profound realisation of something that's been there all along. Getting over.. something that's stopped them fully engaging with their talent."

"All ponies have special talents. Not all ponies have cutie marks. A special talent is a prerequisite for having a cutie mark. A cutie mark is not a prerequisite for having a special talent."

And now the pony-in-the-headlights stares.

But not from Sunset, who rolls her eyes.

"So. Where does the cutie mark come from? I'm an outsider to Equestrian society, but I assumed that when I had the opportunity to review the literature there would be some sort of answer. Perhaps not a precise explanation of why exact images form at the moment of revelation, but at least a broad understanding of the underlying mechanism. But there isn't. Talents themselves are reasonably well understood; the increase in the rate at which ponies gain skills in mark-related areas compared to 'off-mark' areas has been studied numerous times. More cutting-edge studies have even tried using modern brainwave reading equipment to see if the pony brain registers activities relating to the pony's special talent differently to other activities, though so far the bulky nature of the headsets has stymied those efforts."

"Cutie marks don't grant special talents. So what does? The moment of revelation? No. Quite aside from the fact that people suddenly realise or remember things all of the time without developing body art to go along with it, not all ponies recognise their special talent in that way, and… They still get marks. So that leaves us with… What? Realisation relating to a special talent?" I shake my head. "I doubt it. Who hasn't at some point picked up something written by a pony with a talent similar to our own, that we might learn something of ourselves? And read something and found ourselves saying something along the lines of 'Of course! It's so obvious!'."

Other than me, of course.

"That doesn't grant additional body art, either."

"So what does? What other phenomena cause pictures to appear of pony bodies? Well, tattoos, obviously, though those tend not to show up well under pony fur, and… Aren't exactly popular. The only other example that I'm aware of is the Cutie Pox. Thought to be an extinct disease, it was recently discovered to be the result of consuming a particular plant with powerful alchemical properties. The afflicted pony manifested sixteen cutie marks simultaneously, along with the associated special talents. And according to their family, none of the cutie marks related to things they had any skill in before the condition took hold, and none of them remained after the condition was cured."

"Let that sink in for a moment. A pony had cutie marks related to a talent they weren't born with. Cutie marks which took those talents with them when they vanished."

Mouths are hanging open, and a pony in the third row has his forehooves wrapped around his head, shaking in existential dread.

"So. What purpose do cutie marks serve? It isn't to give ponies talents. Could it be social signalling, showing other ponies where your skills lie? Possibly, except for the fact that a good many cutie marks are fairly abstract. At a glance, would you associate a flower with teaching, or a sparkling jewel with dress-making? Probably not. Do they signal age? No. Cutie marks manifest between the ages of four and fourteen, too wide a difference for that to make sense."

"So if they don't have any function in the process of having a talent, that one talent everypony is born with, and they don't have a signalling function, what are they for? And what would happen if they weren't there?"

"Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah."

Head-grabber loses his nerve completely and dashes from the lecture theatre.

"A pony has their moment of realisation, and nothing appears on their haunches. By definition, they're aware of their talent, but there's nothing signalling that to others… Other than their skill at whatever it is that their talent lies in. Since other ponies are tuned to notice things like that, it would be detected reasonably quickly… But since marks can be so abstract and often only have meaning to the pony whose mark it is, recognising exactly what the skill lies in isn't all that easy anyway. So… No useful purpose."

"So this is my heresy: cutie marks are useless. Worthless. Worse than worthless, because if the unnatural marks created by Cutie Pox are in fact representative, then that means that losing a mark results in the loss of a talent. If true, that means that getting a mark adds a point of vulnerability which did not exist before."

"But then… Why do they exist? Certainly, there are no adult ponies without cutie marks. Medical literature seems to indicate that not only is this true now, but has been true throughout pony history. How could such a mechanism arise if it does not serve a useful purpose?"

"Well. Perhaps it is useful. Just not for the pony. If it turns out that the internal magics of a pony who has realised their talent operate differently to the internal magics of ponies without marks…"

"Maybe that makes them all the more tasty."

There's a moment of silence as my audience considers this, coming to terms with the implication.

And then the room erupts in total pandemonium.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
  22. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

“I concur, Lantern. All that delicious fear...”

23. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'It didn't

'the bulky'

'signalling'

I'm kinda interested in seeing him be proven wrong and finding out that the Marks are just there because of some kind of fluke in Pony biology and magic, rather than something malicious.

Not sure if there was an explanation in canon for the Marks, but I would be interested in seeing this.

24. Pez

Pez Spaceman

So... Real!Grayven is coming to attack Renegade, and he's giving a lecture in Ponyland? Is Renegade planning on bringing Real!Grayven to Ponyland and... eat/destroy/something his Cutie Mark? I mean, Ponies are all gods, with talents (domains), it's just that alicorns are the powerful ones.

This is the only way my brain can understand why there's a Ponyland lecture going on, and I suspect Luna will give Renegade a stern talking to about causing panic.

I'm curious, who would win in a fights? Celeste (and/or Luna) or Darkseid?

25. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

So, Grayven's just gone back to his habit of terrifying people, for fun.

26. FeepingCreature

FeepingCreature Not too sore, are you?

Wait. Cutie marks are a parasite? A skill parasite?

That's what the pox seems to imply at least.

Maybe they're meant to be like mantles, building skill over generations, but something or someone is blocking it.

27. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Darkseid. Darkseid would win.

28. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He either wants to spend some time with Luna before he fights Grayven and decided to cause some panic while doing it, because he's renegade so of course he would.

It may take Grayven time to assemble his force for an attack, so renegade may have time to do some other things, and this may have been scheduled even before he found out Grayven was going to attack him and he just didn't want to delay it.

Equestria has the Elements of Harmony, so renegade may be interested in using them to beat Grayven.

Ponies aren't gods.

You may be right about the talking to.

Darkseid.

Renegade has been shown as being roughly equal, and maybe a bit stronger, than Celestia and Luna, and Darkseid is much more powerful than renegade, so Darkseid would probably win.

Not sure how he would fare if they use the Elements on him, though.

29. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

Cool, so I expect Grayven's done all the proper science beforehand? Performed a study that confirms that the cutie marks produced by a previously thought to be extinct disease are the same as natural ones instead of basing it off of word of mouth related to a single incident? Tested the hypothesis that ponies with cutie marks are tastier prior to submitting it to what passes for Equestria's scientific community beforehand?

'Cause, ya know, not doing all that would make this whole thing bad science.

30. Akshka

Akshka Wait, am I lost?