1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Well renegades not a scientist, so not doing scientific things is not that weird.

And Sunset, an expert in magic, seems to think his theory is pointless.

ChestBurster, Jaron and Relyt33 like this.
  2. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    Because he scheduled it in advance, and refuses to duck out.
    It's not his intent to prove that. It's his intent to raise a possibility that ponies aren't considering.

3. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

Sure. Let me raise another possibility that people aren't considering. What if, and hear me out here, aliens built the pyramids.

4. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

I think he's doing it just to cause massive amounts of fear and power up his ring before he tries to take on the other Grayven conveniently forgetting that the other Grayven can just nope his rings with a source battle.

5. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

That's fair.

6. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

I think it's simpler than that.

All ponies are locked in a magical group mind, the Harmony.

It causes them to spontaneously know song lyrics, the Tree of Harmony and the Map are manifestations of it's will.

It also governs Cutie Marks, making sure society has it's needed share of teachers, construction workers, administrators...

And magic is always associated with symbols, runes etc.

Cutie Marks are just "Harmony magic runes" imprinted on bodies

7. Vice Xarno

Vice Xarno Versed in the lewd.

Huh you know when is this because if Starlgiht hears this in full she would go, “Huh, that makes a bit too much sense.” When in regards to the Vulnerability that wasn’t there in regards to cutie marks considering how when she stole the Cutie Mark she didn’t just steal the specific talent but it seemed like she took the ability to be more than mediocre in anything, she took Talent itself.

with that in Mind yeah Cutie Marks are just points of vulnerability for ponies

8. PrinceJonathan

PrinceJonathan Versed in the lewd.

He could be doing this to super charge his Yellow Ring.

boo600, ChestBurster, Relyt33 and 4 others like this.
  9. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

It's true, Equestrian society is rather.. scattershot in their technological development. Though I suspect a lot of that is because of a lack of communication, to some degree. Sure, books might travel, but understanding their contents isn't always easy, and some things just don't work too well in printed form...

Another example of their technological mish-mash. I presume it's for a loudspeaker. But have they not thought of learning ways to record things?

Oh, this is going to be interesting, in every sense of the word.

Heh. Establishing a common ground floor for the ideas. Good move. I don't doubt a lot of ponies barely even know the theory behind a lot of these things.

Except for those rare few who take a long-flank time to find what they do. We have examples of that in canon, after all.

Which certainly suggest things about them that some might be ready to hear. And what of those who come to Equestria from elsewhere? Of ponies from the ancestral herdlands, or those from places like Saddle Arabia? Do they have cutie marks? Remember, it's not the planet, it's merely one nation on that planet... And what do other races think on the Ponies' markings?

Hold on to your horseshoes, folks, he's just getting started.

Heh. Ever the showman, eh, Grayven?

Sometimes explosively so. Usually when that talent is something powerful.

Well, he'd have run this past her. And she doesn't hold much truck with the 'common wisdom', does she?

o_O ...Brainwave-reading... In a country that still considers steam trains to be fancy and new in some places? :confused: God damn, this inconsistent technology madness...

Gee, it's almost like there's some outside force making decisions based on marketability and kid appeal. :V

...Don't give the outside force ideas, Grayven!

Not mentioning any names, of course. *Cough*Apples*Cough*. And boy, doesn't that have all manner of implications, don't it?

Let me take a guess at what that one's thinking: :eek: "Oh Celestia, what? I've spent my whole life studying this! It's my goddamn cutie mark, for Celestia's sake! How did I not know this?!"

...Cue existential breakdowns.

There you go. He's off to rethink his life and everything he thought he knew... Or get very, very drunk. :p Not that the two acts are exclusive... In Vino Veritas, and all that.

Indeed, I bet there are many books about 'what your cutie mark means', and the symbology therein. Like the stars in Twilight and Sunset's own marks, said to represent magic.

And right now, the ponies listening are feeling like 'cosmic horror' protagonists... Seeing their world descend into madness and impossibility...

"Well done, Corpsman. It's been some time since I've seen such an impressive display of panicking so many with just a few words."

I'm reminded of the scene with Van Helsing performing an autopsy in 'Dracula: Dead and Loving It' where he's intentionally trying to make his students puke, faint, flee or any combination thereof.
    x3 "Oh, well done, professor! A perfect score!"
    :sneaky: "I've still got it!"

Oh, that's going to make for some trouble down the line. I can't help but imagine Celestia face-hoofing at his pronouncements. He's been planning this speech for how long now? At least he got to deliver it before Grayven-16r showed up. And there's a subtle hint in there of the danger of cutie-mark-affecting spells, such as Starswirl's last spell, or Starlight Glimmer's trick.

10. Agumentic

Agumentic Not too sore, are you?

Grayven doesn't strike me as someone who is interested in doing good science, he is more into terrifying people into doing good science for him.

11. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I think either Twilight or Sunset once used a machine like that.

In the words of Klaus from American Dad.

"Damn you Hasbro!''

I think this is how Cranius would teach.

Last edited: May 29, 2021
  12. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

Is he trying to charge his yellow ring to 100%?

Cuchulin and DAT_NOOB like this.
  13. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

Yellow rings don’t get charged with ambient fear. They get more powerful, but no charge.

14. Mr Zoat

While Starlight did steal the cutie marks of the main characters, she didn't steal the marks of the other inhabitants of the town. For whatever reason, they volunteered.
    That's far better than the reason I came up with.

15. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

What he's saying is less scary when you realize that it's pointing out that a mark functions more like a status readout than an invoking rune.

Cuchulin likes this.
  16. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

That's not the scary part. The scary part is that the loss of the mark also means the loss of associated talent, meaning that the marks are vulnerabilities.

Speaking of which, does removing the mark in a mundane way(cut up that patch of skin, etc) affect a pony's talent?

17. Vice Xarno

Vice Xarno Versed in the lewd.

Yes volunteered but that still keeps my point when she did it it removed their ability to not be mediocre even at things that weren’t their special talent, say someone’s special talent was athletics but they were a pretty good cook too, and once the Mark was stolen no longer were they athletes but any food they made form then on was always bland.

Cuchulin likes this.
  18. Mr Zoat

I don't believe that last thing was demonstrated. I read a story where Grogar claimed that a pony wouldn't be able to become as good at something else as they are at their special talent, and if they weren't that good at their special talent then they'd be terrible at everything. Then you've got Trouble Shoes, who doesn't know what his special talent is and it's doing a Leet; sabotaging his efforts to do anything else with his life.

19. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

Thank you!

Someguy Somewhere likes this.
  20. WereDragon

WereDragon Bookwyrm

1484 words of exposition on the author’s personal fanon.

Self-contradictory fanon, as a matter of fact:
    These statements cannot all be true. The fact Greyven is presenting them as complementary means that either he is deliberately testing the average Pony’s ability to see logical inconsistency for some obscure reason or (far more likely, if we are being honest) he is once again lying his arse off for the sole purpose of trolling.

21. Baladar

Baladar Know what you're doing yet?

The question I was wondering to was “What happens if Glimmer stole Renegade’s Mark?” then “What if he lures Real Graven there and steals his Mark?”

Ngamer11 likes this.
  22. Agumentic

Agumentic Not too sore, are you?

Their God nature makes that pretty much impossible. Altering New Gods through magic is really hard.

23. Jirachi

Jirachi I trust you know where the happy button is?

I'm confused - it seems less like he's arguing that it's useless - in that he's saying that getting an associated cutie mark accelerates talent learning in the field, but adds a (very difficult to exploit) vulnerability, which...
    Honestly seems like basically a worthwhile trade in most circumstances?

24. Mr Zoat

In the first sentence he was referring to the initial appearance of the cutie mark.

If a person claimed that humans have two eyes, the existence of specific instances of humans who have less than that doesn't prove that the general statement isn't true.
    Assuming that's all it's doing and the same result can't be achieved in a different way, yes.

Last edited: May 29, 2021
  25. Enochi

Enochi Having way to much fun with AI.

Eh. The cutie pox is a magical malady that emulates cutie marks. Starlights 'equality' spell suppresses cutie marks. (You can see in the episode the magic mark flares when a pony tries to use their talent)

Xmaster3000 likes this.
  26. WereDragon

WereDragon Bookwyrm

The exact same can be said of the Awakening process. On initial application it does nothing. Even over the long term it doesn’t actually grants anything, just enhances what is already there.

Xmaster3000 likes this.
  27. Pez

Pez Spaceman

Says who? When connected to a DC-verse, where there are literally New Gods, who eventually achieve Domains, I see some parallels. Renegade just talked about how everypony is borh with an ability (or domain). The fact that Renegade's cutie mark is tied to his Conquest domain, fuels my theory. Ponies don't get their mark until their brain is able to conceptualize their own connection to their ability (domain) - what the mark looks like is irrelevant. When they get that illness, they seemingly magically gain other domains, and when the illness is cured, they then lose those domains. And despite being born with a domain, which pony's feel instinctually, Renegade's theory is that if they lost their cutie marks after getting them, they would then lose their ability (domain).

There are certainly power gaps between the New Gods (depending on which lore you're going by, ones from New Genesis are better than their Apokoliptian counterparts, if only barely), but if we still assume them all the same, there is a power gap between Desaad and Vundabar to Kanto and Mantis, and the latter to Orion and Kalabak, and again the latter to High Father and Darkseid.

I see much the same with ponies. I could accept the argument that when they have both wings AND a horn they achieve godhood, but looking at the parallels, the argument could be made they are all just minor gods.

In context with this story, though, I'd say that Renegade's work on making gods probably proves my theory false. I'm sure pregodhood!Artemis would have just been a Pegasus or something, and current!Artemis is a Alicorn (I think she was, at least).

28. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Seeing as when Sunset came to Earth she was just a human I guess your theory of them being gods is wrong.

It would be more accurate to say that they're just an oddly talented species rather than divine in a minor way.

29. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Yes, they are biologically magical, which is obvious in that what type of magic one can learn is determined by what they are.

Unicorns are innately telekinetic.

Pegasi can learn cloud wrangling and weather control.

And Earth ponies have earth pony magic.

To use DC terms, they are the equivalent of magical metahumans. Although they first used that term in Blue Beetle, that after the Spectre killed most of the Lords of Order and Chaos, people with magical bloodlines suddenly found their talents re-awakened after generations of dormancy.

So as BB Jaime dealt with a magical metahuman gang, and post flashpoint I think the local mob boss of El Paso made a School for Magically Gifted Youngsters.

Most magic users in DC are effectively like dnd wizards- it's just a skill they learned. Some people though have innate magical abilities regardless of their knowledge of magic, though.

Raven of the Titans is probably the most famous example, at least originally. Her empathy was her cambion power as Trigon's daughter, but she was also taught magic by her adopted people.

DC later seemingly retconned that by having Raven's mother show up and giving her empathy powers like her daughter's that were taught to her by the people of Azaroth. Although I suppose one could give a "no prize" style explanation by saying that the people of Azaroth decided to emulate Raven's empathy with thier own magical knowledge.

So since the ponies are innately magical, and that cutie marks include such magical talents as raising the sun or raising the moon and going all dreamwalker, I honestly don't see the need beyond "It's magic, I ain't haveta explain shit!" as an explanation.

By what criteria is it so weird that a magical species with magical talents might grow a magical brand that represents talent(s)?

Gravy might as well go to a zoo and give a lecture about the sinister reason platypuses have duck bills.

30. hkim

hkim Know what you're doing yet?

The more common term is fanfic and if this is surprising to you, you must be new here, Mr. Brony.