1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Just curious, but what was the picture that was on the link supposed to show?

2. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

I don't remember. I'll try and work it out when I get home this evening.

3. Michael Vonica

Michael Vonica Know what you're doing yet?

I've just made my way through this story. I really enjoyed it. Hence the many hours of reading. And now I have some questions. To begin, I think I read somewhere that Krono, the fallout Paul, used perfect FEV on himself, as developed by his research institute and genius associates. My questions are, what exactly is perfect FEV? Do you get to keep your original form, become a radiation proof self regenerating immortal, gain super mutant strength and toughness, and with no risk of mental defect? If Krono can develop this, why is he not offering to develop a cure for super mutants and ghouls by a similar mechanism? I know some would turn him down. Does he make this FEV as available to the public as he makes his psychic powers, or less?

4. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I think he was able to succeed with himself because his ring was charged back then, but now it's not, so he may not he able to do it for other people.

5. Michael Vonica

This answers my questions on what the FEV did to Krono, but it doesn't say how strong and tough he has become, or if his appearance changed, and it doesn't say what he has been doing with this non ring based FEV knowledge. His FEV might not even work on other people due to genetic difference, radiation exposure, and FEV immunity. It might work on vault dwellers. He should still have the resources and experts necessary to do something with it.

6. Michael Vonica

I guess the only one with answers is Mr Zoat?

7. Mr Zoat

Perfect FEV is the FEV which fulfils the original revised purpose of the stuff. Immunity to disease and radiation, improved strength and endurance and extended lifespan. Krono isn't as strong as most super mutants due to them being far larger.

Most super mutants don't want to be cured. They generally don't remember much about their lives before being dipped. Even if some did, changing a super mutant into an FEV enhanced human isn't the same as enhancing a human. Fuck you Fallout 4.

Ghouls are even more different. I don't think that's an FEV thing, and... Well, at this point the remaining ghouls have either adjusted or gone crazy. Krono would probably be happy to work on that eventually, but it's not a pressing concern.

The Sky Walkers don't talk about their FEV research. It's a major hate subject in both the NCR and Texas.

8. Michael Vonica

Thank you for the response. I guess that brings me on to subject number two. Other than the posts made in episodes 95 and 101, were there any other accounts of fantasy Warhammer Paol's actions? I think I saw a post where Mr Zoat summarized what Warhammer Paol did in episode 101 before he actually wrote episode 101, and I was wondering if there was anything similar.

I guess I just like the story structure that Mr Zoat was going for. The idea of leading a group of people who wouldn't regularly cooperate with each other to try and solve a major world problem with a primarily academic approach. There aren't a lot of stories like that, with the only good one I know of (off the top of my head) being Mother of Learning. If anyone has any recommendations like that, I would greatly appreciate it.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
  9. Michael Vonica

Not sure if I'll get any responses to my last post, so I'll just move on to the last thing I'm interested in. What does everyone think is going on with Constantine? I have my own theory, and I could probably get a good view of what everyone thinks from scrolling through the thread, but I'd prefer to ask it here. All I've really heard is that some people think that John Quinn is Golden Boy, and is planning to do something evil, likely involving John Constantine.

10. Mr Zoat

No, as far as I remember that's all I've written about that iteration.

11. Michael Vonica

12. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

I'm a sucker for random MC quirks kicking off central traditions and long standing policies.

I'd be really interested to see a bunch of pro-social Orange Lantern grunts interacting outside of the presence of Dox or the Illustress.

13. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Zoat holds the opinion that Golden Boy was the victim of Constantine being a paranoid asshole and that Golden Boy wasn't responsible for absolutely everything that ever went wrong in Constantine's life.

So even if he is in fact Golden Boy that doesn't mean anything dire.

Zoat has a history of far more sympathetic portrayals of some characters than usual.

His Blackfire isn't a treasonous toxic dumpster fire but just someone with anger issues, Roulette went from a mind controlling kidnapping murderer to someone who just pays people with superpowers to fight on tv, etc.

Vorian and Cuchulin like this.
  14. Michael Vonica

I don't remember much from the Teen Titans tv series, but how much did Mr Zoat downplay Blackfire's evil there? I know that the parallel Blackfire mentioned in episode 97 was full evil, so he's not overly biased towards the character in general.

From what I could get from the wiki, it seemed to me that, regardless of if Golden Boy was or was not behind all of John's suffering, he was at least trying to kill him or cause him suffering in a few cases. Also, is Golden Boy just a parallel universe John, or was he a parallel universe version of John's unborn twin brother? Whatever he is, he seemed much more powerful than John Quinn is.

Cuchulin likes this.
  15. Nervaqus987

Nervaqus987 Well worn.

Well, her intro episode involved her coming to Earth specifically to let Starfire take the fall for her crimes and also take her place on Earth.

Then the next episode with her had her conquer Tamaran with support of an alien fleet and try to "make peace" by wedding Star to some blobby tentacle monster thing.

Cuchulin likes this.
  16. Michael Vonica

I looked it up, and it seems that Blackfire also traded Starfire to the Gordanians in order to end the war on Tamaran. Assuming that is all, she is at least somewhat evil, but no more evil than Mr Zoat presents her.

Cuchulin likes this.
  17. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

She also betrayed her people and sold her sister into slavery for petty reasons, just like her pre Flashpoint comic self.

And Teen Titans Blackfire's reasons were even more petty and childish than her pre Flashpoint self.

He's a parallel version of John's unborn twin, who survived instead of John.

Edit: You beat me to it.

Not quite.

She sold her because she was power hungry and bitter, not because she wanted to end the war.

She also played a part in making the war go so bad due to betraying her people beforehand.

Zoat, even though he adds the bad things from the comics or source material, tries to spin it as somehow not being so bad and the actual reasons for the characters doing it as being not quite so evil or petty, when they basically are just evil and petty.

The only version of Komand'r who wasn't a petty bitch is her n52 version.

She did sell her sister, but in that continuity she was shown as not hating Kori, and actually loved her, as well as regretting doing what she does, but viewing it as necessary.

She's basically the most sympathetic version of her.

The other most sympathetic version was a mentally simplistic and physically deformed clone of Kori from an elseworld comic.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
  18. Michael Vonica

Did she not do it in order to end the war? Not that I see why that could even end the war anyway, just wondering if there was any source proving that she did it for purely petty reasons.

https://teentitans.fandom.com/wiki/Tamaran

I guess the wiki also kind of paints it as her betrayal. But she obviously wants to rule Tamaran, so why betray it to the Gondorians who destroyed it? If her sister was the problem, there were plenty of ways of trying to get rid of her. Was it some kind of political move? Or did the Gordanians give her a magic crystal? Comic book logic.

Cuchulin likes this.
  19. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

She just did it for petty reasons.

[​IMG]

She may have been petty enough that she would gladly rule over ashes so long as no one else could.

This may have been the option she was presented with at the time and she chose to take it, or she simply thought that it would hurt Kori the most.

No, that was that weird bag of slime guy.

20. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

And...well....if the implications of The NEW Teen Titans are anything to go by with what the ...further results of Blackfire's TT universe life choices...May X'Hal have Mercy on her Soul.

Cuchulin and Ngamer11 like this.
  21. Michael Vonica

I will admit that according to the comic page shown above, Mr Zoat did end up cleaning Blackfire's background a bit, but the character and situation is portrayed in such a cartoony way that I don't think any real blame can be put on her for Tamaran losing the war. We don't exactly know what the situation was there, but judging from how it usually seems to go, Tamaran probably couldn't have ever beat the Gondorians, and I don't know how much her betrayal would have actually made things worse, nor will that ever be known. Blackfire is fully responsible for sending her sister off to slavery, though.

22. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I don't think that there was anything mentioned about Tamaran losing the war before she betrayed them, so it's fully possible that they were either winning or in a stalemate.

23. Stsword

First she tried to murder her little sister.

Then she not only betrayed her world by giving the Citadel Tamaran's complete defense system layout she was one of the soldiers who helped conquer it.

Then she arranged a treaty where her little sister was made a slave and banished from her own planet.

Oh yes she was Starfire's master by the by.

She was the one who degraded and tortured her sister for years and had her raped by multiple people.

When Starfire killed one of her rapists, Blackfire was going to have her executed.

Being kidnapped by Psions literally saved Starfire's life.

That is what Zoat made just a gal with anger issues.

Cuchulin likes this.
  24. Michael Vonica

We were talking about Teen Titans Blackfire. I'm certain that she didn't do the second half of that stuff (everything past the enslavement treaty). Granted, doing the first half still makes her a terrible person, but Mr Zoat's portrayal of her is still accurate, except for the whole betraying Tamaran stuff, which is barely covered in Teen Titans, so Mr Zoat glossing over it isn't too big a deal.

As for the version of her that you are referring to, she is most certainly evil, and when she is brought up in episode 97, Mr Zoat recognizes her as such.

As for the universe 16 version of her, Mr Zoat is free to portray her however he wishes, due to there being no pre existing version to match her against for that universe, although the fact that he chooses to portray her as a victim shows how he feels on the issue. The portrayal he uses also allows the story to flow better, at least in my opinion.

Cuchulin likes this.
  25. Stsword

Well duh.

That's up there with other such revelations as "the universe is big" that makes me wonder what psychological compulsion drives people to waste their energy stating the obvious as if this is some shocking revelation to people.

26. Michael Vonica

For John Quinn, wasn't it really strange how he had Constantine's dream dust when they were trying to contact Dream the Endless? He claims to have only worked with Constantine once, and from then on they only ever made contact via phone and a single instance of going drinking together, up until Constantine gave him the helmet. Unless Quinn is deciding to stay quiet about something, as he didn't mention it to Paul during episode 110, he shouldn't have had any more contact with Constantine after getting the helmet. So where did he get the dust? It doesn't seem like the sort of thing you just hand out. Granted, Paul did just kind of take Gabriel's wings, so Constantine doesn't seem to be the best when it comes to security.

Cuchulin likes this.
  27. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

It's possible that John didn't just give him the Helmet, but also the dust.

Cuchulin likes this.
  28. Michael Vonica

It is. But why? Just in case? That stuff is super rare, and this guy is nothing more than an acquaintance. Not to mention that Quinn knows things that it would be really weird for Constantine to tell him.
    Why would Constantine tell Quinn about Paul's inexplicable knowledge? It's possible, but the things Quinn says don't line up. Not to mention that I don't think Paul ever really put much effort into checking up on any of this, despite how suspicious it all is.

29. Threadmarks: Onslaught (part 11)
    Mr Zoat

24th August 2012
    20:23 GMT

"…kind of interesting." Thaddeus looks on as Lantern Nax allows my clone's body to snap back together. "How did you learn to do that?"

"It is simply an ability which some members of my species manifest naturally."

Thaddeus sighs and turns his face away.

"And not interesting again. Do you have any idea how annoying it is to meet aliens who can just 'do' things?"

Lantern Nax looks like she's not quite sure how to take that. Goodness knows that Thaddeus hasn't made any sort of effort to make friends since coming on board. I was half-hoping that meeting a fellow mad scientist would make things easier for him, but it looks like our vivisectionist just isn't on his level.

"Isn't finding out how we do things-"

"Density-sensitive telekinetic phasing isn't that interesting."

"-what… Makes it interesting…" Nax blinks.

"Especially when it's built-in."

"Have you encountered other people with this ability?"

"Not this exact ability, but it's not…" He frowns. "Why am I still talking to you?"

And then he turns around and heads off to one of the analysis stations.

"Oh." Nax stares after him for a moment, then looks at me. "Did I say something wrong?"

"No, Thaddeus just has extremely poor social skills, and no incentive to improve them."

"Would it have helped if I said that I only believe it is a natural ability for some members of my species because that is what my parents told me, and they were the only other members of my species I have ever met?"

"I doubt-." I give her my full attention. "Really?"

She nods twice. "They told me that there weren't any interesting test subjects back home. After they died, I was stuck on a planet with no way to try and find others like me even if I wanted to. And now that I am a Lantern, I have a job to do."

"Yeah-yes, but we're not keeping you prisoner here. If you want to take a couple of months to visit home-."

Lantern Natu shakes her head.

"I already tried that."

"Since I've never met another member of my species, I don't really miss them. And…" She glances at her mentor. "From what I have learned about morality, I… Don't think my parents were very good people."

"Well..." I nod. "No, but that doesn't mean that the rest of your species are like them."

"Then what would I have in common with them?"

I raise my hands. "It's your life. As long as you're-"

"Bridge to Illustres."

"-happy, that's the main thing." I raise my ring. "Illustres here."

"We're as close as we can safely get to the first target."

"Oh, you're making me actually work today?"

"Yes, that's… Why we're here."

I roll my eyes.

"Seriously, less time around Phil. I'm heading to a deployment tube now."

"Understood."

This isn't a huge ship, so I don't have far to travel to get to my launch zone. Being a stealth ship, we can't exactly just jump out through a big warm electromagnetic-radiation-rich hole in the sensor-defying armour when we want to get out. Any sort of shuttle is completely out of the question. Instead-

My stealth power armour appears around me as I head for the exit.

-we… I am going to have to exit a series of locks very carefully, and take care not to give the ship's location away. Having reviewed the capabilities of the ships I'm going up against, I shouldn't need to retreat, so the main thing is to avoid my targets being able to send ships this way while I'm busy.

I step into the first stage chamber and bring my stealth systems online. Given the relatively low speed of light, visual stealth isn't the most important thing, but it's still a consideration. Preventing space-time ripples by neutralising my own mass profile is far more important, and I can do that. Heat, electromagnetic, phasic…

I rise off the ground slightly and look out into the launch control room. The Darkstar in charge presses keys, causing the sensor systems where I'm floating to try and detect me. A few moments pass and he shakes his head. Not that he can see me, but I appreciate the gesture.

Then the aperture to the next module opens and I float on through. Another round of scans, then a light turns go-purple. Then it's through an aperture covered by an environmental filter, the door closing a moment later and the air being completely evacuated. And only then does the exterior door open into deep space.

We're not hiding in an asteroid 'field', because those are actually extremely diffuse and… Frankly, the first place anyone looking for a ship that's hiding is going to look. We're not in a nebula-. No, actually, we technically are, but those are defined as having slightly more dust than normal space. They're even less dense than asteroid fields. I don't think there's a single grain of dirt in my visual field.

Space, the final frontier.

Both my ring and my armour's computer have my heading, so I turn in that direction and activate my empathic vision.

These are the voyages of the Orange Lantern Corps.

I wonder what it would be like if… I'd been able to found the Corps in a time of relative… Peace.

Its continuing mission: to scout out well-charted worlds. To seek out Reach life and allied civilizations. To boldly destroy what no one has destroyed before.

Or something.

There they are. Looks like there are no Reach citizens in the mix, and the desires of the crews are just as dimmed as I thought they'd be. They're still there though; they're not the biomechanoids I thought they might be. I can't tell more from here, and I can't risk a scan until it's time to stop silent running.

Time to go.

I accelerate, space rippling as I bend it to accelerate my passage and then force it to snap back to reduce the risk of it being detected. The amount I'm bending it is tiny compared to what I do when I fly long distance. It's pretty small when compared to what most Lanterns do. But I'm not travelling all that far and there's no real deadline. Dox isn't expecting me to hit every single one of these fleets. If I'm too slow, we lose some investigation opportunity and I'll have to move at higher speed.

But I do want to know what they're doing. Because if the Reach isn't quite as brutal as we'd been assuming… Maybe we could negotiate something. Not now, obviously, but before we're forced to bombard their worlds from orbit. But that doesn't seem to track with what we've got good intelligence on them doing.

I want to know what they're playing at.

And I'll find out in… Four hours and seventeen minutes.

Joy.

30. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

There's no pleasing the mad.

So she and her parents may have been meta-whatever her species name is.

It may not be such a good idea to let go of someone that vivisects people.

So her situation with home is like that in the comics?

Was she banished?

No, they weren't

maybe 'light, visual'

These are the voyages of a British guy that will never equal either Kirk or Picard no matter how hard he tries.