1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

The Tamaranean that can replicate himself and was married to Kori in the comics.

'he'd have'

maybe 'like these'

'eye can see'

'as of yet'

Orion killing him.

Remove one 'briefly'

hmm, worried that Actual Grayven is somehow influencing him.

And make sure you remember how this feels.

Time to see how bad this car crash is going to get.

2. FreeGod

FreeGod If you see a God on the road fuck it!

It does seem a little odd for Scott to be the more formal one. Then again formality might be more a Paul then Grayven thing.

3. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

he's -> he'd

Needs a full stop.

4. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

I know the perfect recruit

5. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

Yay, Renegade is learning the true power of friendship (or trying to get it, at least).

FourthPear and Handlewithcare like this.
  6. Sceptic

Sceptic Critical Irrationalist

Watch out, your inner monarchist is showing. It should be "free rein".

7. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Boy, there's a fairly obscure character (A couple of brief appearances in 90's Titans comics, after all...) Self-duplication would make for a great foreman, I suppose, especially when all the duplicates are aware of each other's situations.

Good to see preparations ongoing. The joy of racing a deadline you don't even know.

Though I find myself wondering how well it'll hold up to the Planet-Killer weapon. Even a planetary shield has limits, you know...

And it's bugging him badly. The Renegade's always liked to be the one in control of a battlefield, after all. Not having that control must be itching under his Godhead like mad.

In other words, he has to show off how much bigger his figurative military dick is compared to yours. Which puts the Renegade's favourites right in the bullseye.

It's a scary thought, isn't it? But while they both lay claim to Conquest, their methodology isn't alike enough to be parallel. Grayven conquers by force of arms. The Renegade acquires by charisma and empowerment...

Ah, Orion. The Dog of War. Given to New Genesis as part of a peace treaty as an infant, just as Scott Free was given to Apokalips. I foresee any meeting with him beginning with a 'Let's you and him fight' moment.

Which would make his visit to New Genesis long overdue. They may have heard of this 'good' Grayven from Scott and Barda, but until they see him with their own eyes...

I'm sure once you two have had a chance to speak as men do, with your fists in each other's faces, he'll be more agreeable.

:sneaky: Because that's a lever that could remove him from your 'alliance'. And don't forget, Father Box may have lied.

And you'll need every advantage you can claim to protect what is yours.

Through enough willpower to earn a Green Lantern Ring, maybe? The Renegade's never really pushed himself onto those he fights that hard, has he?

Not that there'll be any great visual signifier of what the Renegade's doing...

And to some degree, they're bound to him now. That might offer some protection against Grayven-16's tricks, but... It's not something to rely solely on, is it?

And would force himself onto your mind like a boot. A boot larger than your head, driving you down into the mud of the battlefield. Threatening to crush you or drown you in the dirt unless you surrender to him, give yourselves over without resistance...

It's a scary feeling, isn't it? Not being sure what parts of you are driving this power? How much of you, the You you were before this, is doing the work...

...And yet it feels completely natural, doesn't it? People doing what you want them to, without complaining or talking back?

Yeah, hold on to that disquiet... It might be the only thing that stops you becoming Grayven totally.

And now a palette cleanser. 'Family' visits to soothe the souls...

Not that a distraction that small would slow him down.

After all, this is just a workout, not a real challenge...

Or would you rather talk while exercising? I'm sure it won't increase the difficulty that much...

...Or not. I suppose when it really matters, you actually bother to work... And when he's that good? Well...

Plus, he's not as resilient as you are. He's a dodge rogue build, compared to your toughness tank.

And bonding over watching Orion kick the Renegade's ass might be a good way to do it. :p

Orion versus the Renegade... Hopefully we get to see that fight tomorrow. I'm sure it'll be quite the slobber-knocker. The next full Renegade episode is going to be quite the experience... But the effect on the Renegade's psyche is probably going to be as significant as his trip to the future...

8. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I'm now thinking of this.

Let's hope this fight doesn't take as long to come as George's books do.

Renegade Scott and Barda haven't actually been to New Genesis.

Their paragon versions went there shortly after Canis Minor came to Earth.

Orion does have anger issues and does hate Apokalips, though for perfectly good reasons, so maybe it didn't lie.

Although exaggerating things so the renegade doesn't got here may also be an option.

This is a beautiful image.

9. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I'm excited to finally see Orion in action. I hope he'll eventually show up in the Paragon timeline.

Mr Zoat, I know these guys will probably never be center stage in the story, but can we get a list of names for the characters who at least have pictures here? The only one I can name who isn't named by Paul is Empress. At least, I think the woman in gold and red is her. Also, the picture for the words 'Superhero teams' isn't working.

That should be 'your'.

That should be 'lives'.

This picture is broken. But it's probably his image from The Multiversity: Thunderworld Adventures. That's the only time I ever remember seeing him.

That should be one word, 'Highfather'.

10. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

The man in gold armor is the Alpha Centurian.

The kid is Hot spot.

The cloaked woman is Omen.

You recognized Empress, and the link in which he says "Is that Flamebird?" should have been self explanatory. Because indeed that was Flamebird.

Prince Charon, Fellow and Ngamer11 like this.
  11. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    No, I think these are okay.
    Thank you, corrected.
    I've seen the alternative. Not. Impressed.
    I don't remember them. I'll try and redo the image links this evening.
    Thank you, corrected.

12. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

Mr Zoat do you have any comments on the Batwoman live action show? Or how the live action shows handled the Crisis on Infinite Earths storyline?

13. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

He's not actually in the habit of watching DC's live action shows. Surprising, I know.

He saw Lois and Clark though.

So there might be an alt.Paul in the Lois and Clark setting who we might actually see Zoat right about one of these days.

moralrelativity likes this.
  14. Mr Zoat

Thorias Unlimited covers it fairly well. There is a version of the SI there, and he was last seen disarming a group of petty thieves.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
  15. Pez

Pez Spaceman

I used to like the Arrowverse. Crisis was interesting in how they managed to connect a lot of the DC properties, and I liked the Easter Egg of how Arrowverse Flash met the movie Flash. And the best part was the Kingdom Come Batman (Kevin Conroy is Best!Bat). But then they turned that entire universe into a hot mess of a dumpster fire that even the crossovers can't win me back.

Frankly, Constantine, which wasn't originally part of the Arrowverse, was the best part. I was sad when it originally got canceled, then happy when they brought the character back (and continued to use the actor for the animated movies).

Xmaster3000, Cuchulin and Relyt33 like this.
  16. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Mr Zoat, just wondering, is the future version of Paul seen due to Ambush Bug, the one who ended up in Gate, and the one who visits Teal Lantern all the same version, just at different points of his personal timeline?

Prince Charon and Relyt33 like this.
  17. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

It would seem so.

18. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Their relationship is okay but they are not close.

19. Mr Zoat

Yes.
    They're pretty close. Scott's a little cautious because he knows perfectly well that Apokoliptians don't think like humans. Like when Power Boy tried dating Supergirl, he's not necessarily going to recognise that he's doing something wrong.

20. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Mr Zoat, I looked it up, and the guy we think is the Russian version of Uncle Sam has been called both the Director of Defence Research and the Director of Future Weapons Development. Is he both, or are they just different titles for the same job?

Ardy likes this.
  21. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

I had no idea we were thinking that, but it would be pretty cool. (Edit: I looked back and found out that I did see that come up and just forgot).

Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
  22. Joelseph14

Joelseph14 Know what you're doing yet?

Ooooo boy he's gonna have to words to say to his bio-dad

23. Threadmarks: Onslaught (supplementary, Renegade Option)
    Mr Zoat

24th August 2012
    17:29 GMT -5

"Grayven…" Scott stares at me through the eyeholes in his Mister Miracle costume in apparent bewilderment. "What are you wearing?"

I shift uncomfortably in my 'revised' costume.

"What?"

"I've seen you wearing something other than your armor twice, and one of those times was on T.V."

"You wear your costume a lot."

"I wear my costume when I'm working. I'm a t-shirts and slacks guy most of the time. Is this..?" He floats around me on his aero-discs, looking me over. "Is this supposed to be camouflage?"

I sigh. "I thought that my usual grey armour was a bit too much of a visual reminder of Father. As for this…"

6th April 2012
    10:13 GMT

"…why you think that I would want anything to do with a brute like you!"

Rarity glares at me, and stamps her right forehoof before lifting it back to her chest.

"Because I'm giving you the perfect opportunity to revenge yourself upon me for my brutishness. I'm asking you to design clothes for me, someone with no taste at all. I have no ability to assess your work. Whatever you make for me, I will wear at least once, and the only requirement I have is that it be at least somewhat red."

She… Considers. "You'll wear anything?"

"Anything."

She huffs. "Tempting as that is, I simply cannot deliberately design something that isn't magnificent. Fabulosity might as well be my middle name."

I didn't know she had a last name.

"But could you design something that would be fabulous in a very particular situation, but look ridiculous anywhere else?"

"Such as?"

"You wouldn't wear the same thing to a diplomatic reception as you would to a spring clean, would you?"

"Well, of course not." But her hoof is down on the ground and she's looking thoughtful. "And you'll wear it?"

I nod. "And I'll wear it."

She leans forward, staring at me sceptically.

"Hmmmmmm."

24th August 2012
    17:30 GMT -5

"I just wanted to fit in with you and Orion. All the sons of Darkseid are wearing red this year." I nod at the empty space just in front of us. "After you."

"Mother Box?"

"Ping."

BOOM!

He holds his right arm out to the tube. "After you."

"Yea-I-. I think you should go first. They're a little more likely to ask questions if they see you. I'm probably 'shoot on sight'."

"But if I go through first, they might think you're chasing me."

"Fine, okay."

I walk through the portal, appearing in a grove on a planet quite close to New Genesis. While Apokolips has The Waste, New Genesis has protectorates. Places which rely on the gods for their defence. And worship them, and are stupefied into maintaining a low-tech civilisation aside from anything the gods grant them.

That about says it all. New Genesis: better than Apokolips. Just.

Scott flies through a moment later, then the tube shuts down. Okay, boom tubes are noisy things and easy to detect, so-.

BOOM!

Scott braces in the air as a new tube opens over our heads, ready to jink in any direction to avoid attack. I just make a point of keeping my hands away from my weapons. Of course, this might not be Orion. If they're sending the Forever Children I'm going to be-.
    Defend! / Ping.
    Orion flies through, looking as Father Box told me he would. His astro-harness is grey rather than gold and he's got black trousers rather than red leggings. He's also a good deal more slender than I was expecting. He's muscular, but he's nothing like Kalibak or myself.

But no astro-bolts. That's a positive start.

I smile, raising my right hand. "Hail, Orion-."

"Apokoliptians." Unsourcely wretches! / Ping.

"You are, but I wasn't going to mention it." My smile broadens. "Now I can honestly say that I've met all of my brothers."

Scott straightens slightly, but he's still clearly ready to evade. "I'm only Apokoliptian because Highfather traded me for you. If you're wondering, I'm not exactly happy about being handed over to the God of Tyranny."

"Leave this place. Both of you." Purge the Unclean! / Ping.

I nod. "Happy to do that, but I do need to talk to you. Have you got somewhere else you'd prefer do it?"

"No. There will be no debate. Leave, and thank me for my mercy." Destroy the Apostate! / Ping.

"Hold on." Scott rises in the air, heading slowly in Orion's direction. "Are you telling me that after all these years my father has nothing to say to-."

The astro-bolt narrowly misses his face as Orion glares at him imperiously.

"It is for his sake that I do not simply destroy you where you stand."

"Scott, I…" I shake my head. "I don't think this is going to work."

"Yeah." Scott descends, tapping his Mother Box. "I can't believe that my father passed me over for this." Poisonous Key.

BOOM!

With one last look up at Orion, Scott flies through the tube back to Earth.

I linger for a moment, waiting until Orion's hands tighten around his harness's triggers.

"I know that of all of us, I resemble our father the most. But seeing you there, staring down at people who came to you in peace to exchange words… It's interesting to see how all of Izaya's efforts were in vain. It is you who is truly our father's son."

Mother Box quick.

Ping.

Orion's jaw is shaking in rage as he pulls the trigger, astro-bolts eating through my construct shield-

BOOM!

-as I drop through the portal to the Vega trench and close it behind me.

Okay, this is roughly where Other Grayven would have to fly through to reach us in a line from his old base of operations. This is the best I can do. Ring, take us to Tamaran.

By your command.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2021
  24. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Some little bits of godspeech, very telling ones:
    (Dang stray colour tags...)

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
  25. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Mr Zoat, how exactly did Scott Free meet with Highfather in the Paragon timeline if this is how him showing up in the Renegade timeline went?

That should be 'Highfather', and I think 'New God of Tyranny'.

That should be 'say'.

26. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

Oh, now that's a rather clever idea Grayven. I hope it works.

27. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'do you think'

Girls gotta have standards.

'Highfather'

'to say to'

I'm getting the feeling that he's either jealous of what will happen if the two meet, or that he's worried that Scott has gone full Apokaliptian and he doesn't want Izaya to see what has happened to his son.

28. FourthPear

FourthPear Frequent Flier. Muted

Grayven is such a shit-starter, and I love it.

29. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

After Canis came to Earth with Dreamer the Motherbox Scott and Barda had with them finally started helping them.

Before that it thought they were just Apokaliptians and hated them because of that and because Barda kidnapped it from a New Genesian warrior she killed. It did help them escape from Apokalips, but that was it.

After it saw that they were trying to save someone from the Anti Life it changed its mind and helped them by sending them to New Genesis.

It probably sent a message that they were allies and thus they were allowed to come there.

30. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

IIRC when the League went to visit the Apokoliptians, on the mission to free the forever people, they spent some time on New Genesis on the way back.

Since the Free's were on the team doing so, they met then, off screen.

EDIT: League of Shadows'ed