1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Enter the Dragon (Harry Potter/Shadowrun)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Dunkelzahn, Jul 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shance

Shance Not too sore, are you?

Amelia acted in the smartest way she could have posibly done.

2. EternitynChaos

EternitynChaos Once there was a Maiden...

Albus doesn't get to blow things up anywhere near as often as he'd like I see

3. drvash

drvash Getting some practice in, huh?

And it looks like Harry's plan to undermine the Happy Elf Shipping Company will directly impact THE SYNDICATE's slavery ring, and not just reduce Lucius Malfoy's financial resources.

4. Bluesnowman

Bluesnowman I trust you know where the happy button is?

Which chapter had Dumbledore threatening Lucius again?

5. bruhqwe

bruhqwe Know what you're doing yet?

God DAMN

Have fun digging through *that* one, US Government

6. Monitor

Monitor A Monitor sitting before a Monitor

Isn’t it in Canada? So have fun digging through that, Canadian Government…

I liked that chapter. Now, let’s get back to Britain and have fun with the „slightly“ enraged dragon who will have had very little time, if any, to cool down :)

7. Knightowl

Knightowl Not too sore, are you?

It's near Seattle it's either/or in this case.

jjlph18, WinterPhoenix and Damnedmatt like this.
  8. Monitor

The US-government is unlikely to investigate it on their own if it’s on the Canadian side of the border, and, considering they crossed the Canadian border from the USA side, it is.

What is, however, likely is that the USA will ask to help with the investigations. I have no idea of local politics, especially not from 30?! Years ago, so I could not say how likely it is that such a request is granted. The Canadians will, however almost certainly at least hate their discoveries.

9. mn--

mn-- Know what you're doing yet?

It's a geological event. (Well, the mountain peak toppling certainly is, even if the original one wasn't.) And that's a thing lots of folks tend to worry about in those parts of the world... I mean, this is the Cascade Volcanic Arc, right? Mount St. Helens and friends.

Volcanoes don't really respect borders very much, so...

10. Kitty S. Lillian

Kitty S. Lillian Transhuman

…Damnit, Skeeter.
    Corrections offered without malice.
    Pavement? not tarmac?
    nerve-racking is the more-accepted spelling.
    composed it
    Individuals compose team, team comprises individuals.

needs a space
    to make
    of the sisters
    portion of

11. Simonbob

Simonbob Really? You don't say.

I'm kinda hoping that Skeeter finds herself arrested for assisting slavers, or something similar.

Or, just finding the entire MLE fines her for breathing, every time they see her.

12. Monitor

They might look at their side of the border, but unless invited (which I have no idea how likely it is)l they won’t look on the Canadian side.

However, there are international agreements to share such data, although I am not sure if one applies here, and if yes, which one it would be…

My point was to say that it’s not the American government that will respond first and take a look. It will be the Canadian. Is it likely that the USA will have something to do with that and help in some way? Yes, of course. Will they invade (and that would be the case if they decided to unilaterally check up on things)? No, of course not. That was my whole point. Nothing more, nothing less.

13. Mashadarof402

Mashadarof402 Well worn.

The Confederate mentioned an Aurora being tasked to survey the area.

There is only one aircraft bearing that designation, and ITTL, it's a mostly conspiracy theorized black project hypersonic American spycraft.

Guess it's not so much conspiracy here.

14. Xx_BoneIdle_xX

Xx_BoneIdle_xX Versed in the lewd.

And once again we discover that the overpriced Winnebago is less well enchanted than the Knight bus or even Mr Weasley's car (which are able to snake their way through congested traffic without stopping and scare away obstacle without fearing collision - while the RV took 10 hours+ painstakingly navigating a dry river-bed/road !
    Finally, Snape and co. must have been really rattled to not even think about firing a quick 'Reparo' to fix the damage to the Winnebago at the end there.

I have found that unfortunately the author has a tendency to forgo the usage of Magic by his characters especially when they should be using it as a matter of course due to their upbringing (for example: junior analyst Evans should have immediately used a 'Revelio' when he found his papers disturbed -DMLE training + Hogwarts education- even if it wouldn't have helped much since a bug would have been easily dismissed). I think the problem might come from OP trying to reduce too much of the perceived power of the HP universe to fit better into Shadowrun's lore without taking into account that perhaps Wizards learned to 'do slightly more with less' (ex: Metagaming by Noodlehammer has the premise that HP's Earth had less magic which made it possible for better control and the development of greater research in spells and magical laws).

15. stads

stads Experienced.

nice chapter thx for writing it
    nice going evans to screw up ^^ atleast he came forward with it
    poor moine she is going to get a cold water once she learns of su li true motivation

atleast the goblin searching for harry has a decent lead :D
    yay for albus and his idea's

Damnedmatt likes this.
  16. bryceh59

bryceh59 Getting some practice in, huh?

One quick question, does Harlequin still think Harry is one of the older Dragons that just happened to wake up early?

17. JoelStew

JoelStew Getting out there.

In OTL, the Aurora is a fairly run-of-the-mill maritime patrol aircraft. Did Dunkelzahn mention it as a spyplane in the thread, or is that a Shadowrun thing?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_CP-140_Aurora

18. Dunkelzahn

Dunkelzahn No one of consequence

Wrong Aurora. It's a Lockheed CP-140 Aurora out of CFB Comox. Technically, it's an anti-submarine/marine recon craft, but it's the fastest plane on the Comox roster (at least as far as I could tell from my minimal research), so I figured it'd be the one sent to get eyes on something like what just happened at the Seven Sisters.
    (Ninja-ed by JoelStew, well spotted.)

As for the location discussion, the turn-off in the first scene is here (Price Creek Crossing), the village is in a high valley at the head of Price Creek on the east side of the Seven Sisters Provincial Park and Protected Area (Village) while the lake in question is here (Stone ring). Everything with the stone ring is going on about 450 miles north-northwest of Vancouver, firmly within Canada.

He most assuredly does. I mean, after meeting him in person, Harlequin knows Harry isn't a particularly old dragon as dragons go --- Harry is still small enough to make it obvious he's a juvenile or at the most very young adult --- but a timeline where Harry hatched some time in the middle of the last millennium of the fourth age and managed to screw up his hibernation cycle is a good guess.

What actually happened is just so ludicrous that Harlequin would never suspect it.

First off, it was 10 miles, not 10 hours. They covered that distance in a few hours, driving about the last third of it in the dark through unfamiliar terrain.

Second, that was a creek running through densely forested, very rough terrain, especially once you get off floor of the Skeena valley proper. It's a far cry from a flat, dry riverbed.

Third, if I even decide to keep the Knight Bus in its canon incarnation in this setting, it and its enchantments would be operating in an area where apparation/portkeys are routinely used, and thus where their principles of operation are open for exploitation by said enchantments. I would imagine those would be useful for ghosting around and through things at absurdly high speed, assuming you could afford to power them for routine travel (which is explicitly an issue in my handling of this setting). Under the Interdiction however, the use of such methods ends with the user being cleaned up with a mop.

Also, you say the Winnebago is overpriced, but who is to say how expensive a hypothetical Knight Bus equivalent would be? I'd imagine if Snape had priced a Knight Bus kitted out as a motorhome, he'd not have found it any cheaper than his Winnebago. Neither buses nor motorhomes are exactly cheap, at least not purchased new.

Fourth, aside from one time which explicitly required a supreme plot device the elder wand to work at all, has anything enchanted/heavily magical ever been repaired with a mending charm in HP canon? I mean, if that was an option, why did Harry need a replacement for his Nimbus after it was smashed? For that matter, why are the school brooms so old and tattered if they could be maintained with simple repair charms?

And fifth, the revelio... eh, that's a fair cop. Though I know I've tossed file folders onto a table before and had them fall open in odd ways, and I doubt I'd have thought anything much of it in Clyde's situation. I could have him try it and fail to find anything because Skeeter already left, but I don't know that it's worth a revision.

As for the setting in general and how it fits into Shadowrun, I've gone through that before in a number of posts. Essentially, wizarding magic is a highly refined casting system which allows routine, simple casting of what would be hopelessly complicated magic under the Shadowrun system through the use of a supremely engineered piece of magitech known as a wand (roughly on the order of a modern microprocessor in terms of complexity) and very complicated spell creation processes. I also made it so magic generally takes real, significant effort of an order with the magic's effects (unlike canon HP) and so magic that alters the character of spacetime has some additional restrictions (requires a caster with a soul and does not like being moved). Those changes were made so that economic plotlines made sense (as in, so that it was reasonable for a magical economy to exist at all).

19. Monitor

If it is one sentence and 2 minutes of work to fit it in there, I would say go for it. It solves an issue. It is not a big issue, however.

If it is however 5 minutes of work, well, I would say, not worth it. The issue is not big enough for that.

in the end, your decision. :)

20. Kooler

Kooler Making the rounds.

Wow thanks for the update it was fun to read. Alot happened in this bit. Rita being trash for a story is very in character for her so I did not have a problem with the reveal that way. I do like the how the magic sinks where used to reduce the magic because of the Horrors. And its been so long people don't have a clue about them.

FYI ShadowRun (Earth) is set on the same world that was once called Barsaive(EarthDawn) by the people that lived in that time and they had a little problem

21. Ayashi

Ayashi Connoisseur.

I'm not sure what the long therm plan is for these magic sites, but I think burying one under several tons of ice and rock might not be the best if ideas as that would make precise location and access to it( for an other magic draining, seal modification or anything else) somewhat ... difficult.

22. naarn

naarn Versed in the lewd.

The first time we've met an actual named character from Shadowrun. That I know of... possibly some of the young'uns could have been someone who in 60 years would have been a named character of some sort and I just missed it.

23. deadal

deadal Know what you're doing yet?

That would be too kind... She should be officially and publicly thanked by the DMLE director, lady Bone herself, for the article. Lady Bone can't wait to read the several article to come, writing with the information given by the ministry.
    Basically, make everyone believed skitter have tons of intel on the planned operation of the auror! The various criminal will be very eager to get their hands of the intel and will not believed skitter's denials.... Everyone in will understand what it means to steal operational information from the auror and the public will be shocked by the long, painful and humiliating death such a parangon of journalist integrity, they will scream for the ministry to have no mercy and to leave no stones standing.

24. Ayashi

Ayashi Connoisseur.

Way too much effort and attention wasted on it. Better to simply have some one step on the cockroach by accident and go on on his day without noticing.

Randommosity, Corvus 501 and Ajlove like this.
  25. Acolyte

Acolyte Know what you're doing yet?

You have to wonder who invented the wand. If it's as complicated as a microprocessor. It's basics a artifact class object that has been mass produced.

26. Doghead13

Doghead13 Grumpy Old Scottish Biker

Been on a bit of a mental spiral around the description of the terrain in the early parts of the latest segment of fic. That rabbit hole led me to a couple of photodiaries from tourism in the area of Scotland I established for Hogwarts back when this was my fic.

For anyone interested, here's someone's canoe trip into the east end of Loch Morar giving a pretty good grasp on the sort of terrain I, and this fic's Harry, grew up living in the middle of. For reference the ridgeline north of the loch is about two thousand feet high, as are most of the surrounding peaks - in a lot of these photos you can see how the tops of the ridge stick up through low laying clouds and the way the land towers over everything, the picture looking back across the loch at that bothy is particularly illustrative. The ridgeline is back about three thousand feet from the surface of the loch - for reference the surface of Loch Morar is about thirty feet above sea level. This is a pretty routine level of vertical variance anywhere from about Glencoe north as far as Ullapool; the Highlands top out quite a lot sooner than say the Rockies but don't bugger about with foothills on the way up.

Not 100% on how Dunkelzahn has it set up of course but I'd imagined the castle in the rough location of Kinlochmorar.

https://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/loch-morar-the-glamp-with-definitely-none-of-that--t48424.html

Quite a bit of thought went into selecting the location. It was partially aesthetic, but the remoteness, absolute dearth of population, how well it's masked from the 'muggle world' by assorted big lumps of rock, the fact that it's one of the lochs better known for its legendary monster, and the proximity to the visually extremely distinctive Glenfinnan Viaduct, all figured into it.

27. TheLastTalcBender

TheLastTalcBender Supreme grandmaster of elemental powers

Argh. I'm not sure who I want to strangle more after that chapter - Hermione or Rita Skeeter.
    Hopefully someone arrests the latter to find out her sources because leaking a major case like that can't be legal. Even in their society... I hope...

And wow is Hermione still being a dense and mopey idiot. Of course, I feel like someone should really have explained to her the whole situation because the other "friends" have at least some idea of what's going on.
    Aside from the fact that Susan's excuse is actually true, because Hermione's own stupidity is why they have a bunch of work right now...

Oh yeah. Dumbledore dropping an entire mountain as a coverup is quite something too. Not sure if I should be impressed (that he could, and that it worked), horrified (ecological damage and the mess it'll make, plus that he could), or appalled (at basically all of the above).

28. Wolfboy

Wolfboy I trust you know where the happy button is?

TheLostArchivist
    let me introduce you to four very important words Freedom of the Press, now, what Skeeter did to get the information was, yes, illegal, however, there is precedent, both in the US and Britain, protecting both journalists and publishers who print classified data. In the US one of the most prominent cases was known as "The Pentagon Papers" where The New York Times printed a series of articles showing not only that the Johnson administration had lied to the American public, but also to Congress,

I don't know offhand what the British Equivalent would be, but i'm sure there is something out there that would qualify.

quietwhile likes this.
  29. 128Hunter

128Hunter Far too busy to respond often, my apologies.

Actually I'm pretty sure it would fall under the Secrets act and make her actions illegal. Britain can still declare some information sensitive, especially if it is actionable data being used in the pursuit of criminals.

30. Mashadarof402

Mashadarof402 Well worn.

An argument can be made for criminal conspiracy and espionage, given that she deliberately compromised an ongoing investigation by publicly letting said criminals know that they were being hunted down.

And if nothing else, they can simply point out who compromised the investigation to Potter, who already doesn't like the press, and turn a blind eye to the subsequent crunching noises.

IAVL, BloodRevan, Bobberroo and 7 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.