1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

War with the Reach, working for others instead of making his own thing like Grayven, obeying Batman despite being an independent hero and no longer being part of the Team, no longer thinking like a human...

Doccer likes this.
  2. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

I kinda get your other complaints(even though I disagree that those are necessarily bad things), but I really don’t get what you mean by no longer thinking like a human.

Doccer likes this.
  3. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

The Earth would have been in danger even if he never showed up.

In case you forgot the Reach showed up to Earth in the canon universe and in one timelime of said universe managed to win.

Paul may have just decreased the time it would take them to go there, but he also most likely improved things since now there's a dedicated and powerful force ready to fight them.

If he didn't go to war with them then they would have continued doing their atrocities.

By working with others he gains more allies, more resources, more knowledge, that he otherwise may not have found if he decided to be an asshole and not work with others like renegade is doing.

Batman is an experienced and highly competent man.

And I think most of the things he has told Paul to do were very useful and helpful.

Why shouldn't Paul obey him when the advice he gives is good?

Disagreeing with someone for no other reason than just to disagree isn't cool, it's just stupid.

And Paul is a member of the Team.

Did you forget that he's been on a bunch of missions with them?

He's just not that active with them now, but is still a member.

Admittedly I agree that this can be annoying.

After his enlightenment Paul has changed in some pretty significant ways, such as how he behaves.

Some of these behaviors aren't exactly something you'd see in an average human.

If I remember correctly Mandate Paul actually took a glance at Savages emotions when they were fighting and found them interesting, but decided that he wanted to kill him either way.

Before this he kinda made mention that if he was enlightened he may take a greater interest in him, but because he was not he was just repulsed by him.

4. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

I know that. But his thought process and axtions don’t feel that inhuman to me. An odd human, and certainly different from way I think(as far as I can tell), but it’s still understandable.

5. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Ehh, I guess he's different to all of us.

Though I think he once mentioned that he was human mostly out of habit.

6. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Yes, but the character from the comics looks nothing like Zoat's version.

Here's that group shot-

[​IMG]

Xmaster3000 and Cuchulin like this.
  7. Pez

Pez Spaceman

Confused Hal with John. My bad for not going back and doublechecking which GL he was talking to. Still, all Gl's are poor, poor men (or women or others or attack helicopters).

8. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

So... No corrections today?

9. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

Wait, I'm confused, the armor Dame Carol uses, is it an actual armor suit that looks like Morrowind glass armor? Or is that just how her construct armor looks when she's in a high level fight? Because, being honest, that is an ugly armor in my opinion. The Oblivion version looks better to me, or maybe I just saw a better image of it?

Another doubt is, shouldn't ablative shields be an effective defense against this anti-construct weapon? If it drains the energy out of a construct it could do it in different ways, disrupting it sounds difficult without being a different version of the crumbler technology. So I would assume it is negating the emotional spectrum energy or actually absorbing it in some way; I would think then that multiple low level shields would intercept enough shots of the weapon without costing too much energy while the Lantern works to eliminate the enemy.

Probably not something that low level or inexperienced Lanterns can do, but if the lanterns can learn to scan for the technology they can avoid confronting the fleets or ships that have the weapon. Or better yet, copy the weapon and start training the Lanterns in the ways to combat the weapon, same way all the earth Lanterns trained to fight or handle encounters the Crumbler technology. At the end of the day, I don't understand why the Illustres is worried; I understand why he could be annoyed with Hal for not being forthcoming with the info when they first talked but is not like the Illustres is sending reports of what he's doing out here in space to the Justice League, is he?

My recommendation would be to pass on info on the weapon to Dox with any recommendations and then go hunt the Free Lancers for more info on it, origin for example, and afterwards check to see if he can intercept the info of the weapon before it gets to their central command. If the last part isn't possible then just move forward, at least he's warned now and the Orange Lantern Corps didn't get surprised by the weapon in the way that weapons usually surprise, by unexpected body counts.

Xmaster3000 and Cuchulin like this.
  10. Mr Zoat

It's armour made from Zamaron crystal. I can't find a completely appropriate image to compare it to.

11. Lord Ernest

So that's what she wears as her superhero custom/"combat uniform"? Or is it kept in subspace, like the Illustres' power amor?

And just to give an idea, what's the kind of aesthetic that the armor is going for? Is it
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Or
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Or
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Vorian, Prince Charon, Doccer and 3 others like this.
  12. Mr Zoat

None of those, really. Imagine if Solitaire from Jewel Lords was pink, something like that? It's armour made from plates of shapeshifting crystal, but it's clearly armour and not a bikini.

13. Lord Ernest

Thanks, that does clarify it a lot.
    [​IMG]
    Admittedly, that image is pretty "artistic" but it does bring the message across that the individual is completely covered in armor instead of being a robot like the other images I saw. Originally I thought she was wearing something like the second sexy version combined with the original Zamaron one since they were the ones that provided it.

Hopefully someday we can narrow down how the Illustres' power armor looks, at this point I have given up on imagining how he looks in his "superhero" custom or in the middle of combat.

14. Mr Zoat

Not sure about that feet, but something like that.

15. Threadmarks: Onslaught (part 16)
    Mr Zoat

25th August 2012
    05:36 GMT

These…

These are scary ships.

Threllian's people were very intelligent-. Are very intelligent, and part of that is that they were good at forward planning. Their history contained relatively little warfare because they were all too aware of exactly what they would be throwing away by destroying lives and property. Theirs wasn't a particularly dangerous region of space, so they'd managed to spread out across their home system before they suffered from a raid by a more martial species.

It was a bit of an eye-opener for them, but they didn't really want to invest the resources into building a fleet that could match their new enemy ship for ship. So they studied and experimented and built a small but extremely sophisticated fleet that could -and did- blow anything their foes could throw at them out of space. They were a major stabilising force in their region for a little under two hundred years by virtue of having more power and at the same time choosing not to use it to forcibly oppress.

And then the Reach happened, reaching out to a regional hegemon in 'friendship' and for 'trade'.

But I'm looking at that fleet's great grandchild. Glowing purple blurs along the sides mark the intrusion into normal space of their fracture cannons. No traversing or charging required, just press a button and space breaks in a line to your target. There's no gun there to disable either; it's literally just a point in space nominated by the actual projection system inside the well-armoured hull.

Well force fielded hull too, I note. And Threllian was right about the gravity shielding. And the flak.

The flak turrets look a bit… Off? Actually. The outer hull looks like it's designed to be as featureless as they could make it, but the small turrets break that aesthetic and… Look almost stuck on. Which means that they… What, that the Free Lancers came almost directly here, gave them the designs and left them to it? Had been working on the turrets for a while and handed over a warehouse worth for them to integrate in their own time?

Jordan's file implied that those turrets were lightspeed, which might mean that I can dodge them if I stay far enough away. It also implied that the weapon was only weakly penetrating against anything that wasn't a construct. So my best defence against them is armour which the big guns will blast through like it's not even there, because from their point of view it isn't. And my best defence against the big guns is a type of physics-warping construct that I can use, but will go down very easily to the anti-construct guns.

Oh, and I can't hide in a ship because the big guns aren't affected by their hulls and their internal sensors are sufficiently good that it would be suicide to try.

But other than that-.

Oh, no, I forgot: while the main guns have a somewhat limited effective range and their sub-light speed isn't that good, the ships can use their gravity shielding to do short range space-bending teleports. So…

So if I can dummy them into teleporting towards me and have a gravity weapon pointing in the right direction, I could get lucky.

Starting to think I.. should have brought more clones.

Okay, actual plus side: though their ships have very good energy generation systems, their guns consume more than they can generate during high-intensity combat. Which is probably why the Reach haven't adopted the design across their entire fleet. So if I get all of the doomguns to fire constantly at the same time then I might exhaust them, assuming that they're far more stupid than I know them to be.

Actual attacking plans, then.

The people on board don't appear to have any actual defence against magic. Orange light manipulation won't necessarily work against people the Reach have reprogrammed, but it.. might be a place to start. Or…

I mean, there's no reason why I couldn't make a construct version of those guns.

Or…

Okay, given the maximum speed of the Free Lancers' ship and the amount of time that's passed… Even if they flew directly between fleets without needing to stop off at a Reach facility to get directions, they… Can't have visited all of them. I doubt that they'd have been able to equip more than… One.. other..? And since this fleet is fully equipped…

It's that or go full Ophidian mode and hope I still understand how to fight sophisticated foes.

I

step out and

reappear in the midst of a swarm of flying rectangles, the crews' gestalt minds collectively having just enough mental freedom for one independent thought, colossal construct claws reaching out, grabbing, crushing! No anti-construct guns here but I take the orange light and pull

and drag it through

the Honden to a swarm of space dragonflies, telepaths controlling their biotechnology using distributed nervous systems. A construct neural chaff generator leaves them twitching and writhing, and whatever psychic defences they could muster are gone as I pull

and head

into the centre of an armoured sphere, mollusc-like internal defence tentacles reaching for me, phasing through my construct shields as I use an intense burst of ionising radiation to fry their central computer and pull

them along with me as

I use construct shields to block shots from the cybernetically augmented marines -ah, some more orange here- who respond immediately to my appearance. But I'm not entirely here any more, and the usual delay while the construct forms just isn't a problem. We'll take those and

head back.

Let us share avarice with you.

And I snap back as the purple beams from eighteen ships flare into being. I counter with shielding for the radiation and spatial reinforcement constructs to block the beams themselves, causing them to peter out before they can touch me. Amped up like this, dropping physical barriers from subspace to block the anti-construct turrets is at least possible and when one-

Like just then.

-slips through, my shields are ablative and it only gets one. I duck and dive, keeping my constructs a little way away from me to make judging my exact position a little harder, and I can see the confusion wrought by the alien desires the Ophidian and I just forced onto the crew. How good is the Reach's programming? Without magic they shouldn't be able to design something that can cope with that, but they've made allegiances of convenience before…

Let's make it a hard choice. I fly closer to one ship, intensifying the spatial stability constructs to -at least temporarily- close down the projectors closest to me. Now the other ships have to make a choice between friendly fire and letting me take cover which for a normal Reach thrall would be very easy. But their desires have just been inflamed and confused, so hopefully-.

Then one of my suppression constructs is gone and I frantically dodge as a fracture gun opens fire and then pans through space to follow me. A shot-. No, all the turrets with a line of sight are blocked, where did it-?

"Orange-"

I ram a crumbler construct into the hull of the ship and the armour abrades, hopefully concealing my deployment of the hellwraith through the side of the ship. My other Construct Lanterns I deploy around me with instructions to-

"-meat."

-distract that Scarab Warrior-.

A rapid flurry of shots from his shoulder-mounted construct disruptors annihilate them before they can move a metre and his main arm-mounted gun charges.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2021
  16. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

What would happen if Paragon tried his FEED ME trick? I forget if that's been successfully defended against (probably by Devlos's Anti-Monitor armor, but I feel like that's a whole different level than what's going on here).

If I'm understanding correctly, Paragon pulled the desires from an assortment of alien species and infused them into the Threllian clones to disorientate them. I wonder if he can do the same to the Scarab Warrior (or possibly have the Hellwraith possess it, but I doubt that would work), but I do hope those random species are okay in the long-term; maybe he plans to go back and fix them after the battle (Edit: they're other Reach-affiliated ships so that makes more sense).

Tracking the Free Lancers down and disabling them seems to be taking higher and higher priority now.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
    boo600, Vorian, ChestBurster and 19 others like this.
  17. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'built'

Goes to show that just because you don't like war you can still be a scary and dangerous mothefucker.

'blast through'

'the ships' or 'their ships'

I'm reminded of an abandoned Indigo SI fic where the author was planning to have his SI merge with the Indigo Entity and go Sun-Eater on the Reach's sun.

maybe 'step out and'

'usual'

'shoulder'

'arm-mounted'

Really hoping Paul didn't just attack a bunch of innocent people and that these people were somehow evil.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
  18. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

So he just rapid abducted a bunch of people with desires as alien as possible to the Threllians then crammed those desires into them as a form of mental chaff?

And if he can hide stabilisers to negate their fracture cannons behind normal armour that blocks their anti-construct guns they don't seem that much of a threat abnymore anyway.

19. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

Their -> there

20. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

I’m a little unclear why he cares about the free lancers anymore. They’ve already given the reach the guns, it’s not like the reach can’t reverse engineer them?

WereDragon and moralrelativity like this.
  21. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

They may still give them other types of tech in the future.

Seeing as they somehow got their hands on a power ring their ability to get dangerous tech is very good and a very potential threat.

22. Ardy

So put a bounty out for their heads and move on, he has to deal with the gigantic fucking war-shifting clusterfuck that is anti-construct guns not track down a handful of pirates

23. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

And when it's OL saying that, we can guess they are not playing nice. This is going to be an actual challenge for our dear Illustres, it seems. Something some people have been saying is overdue... Well, then.

:oops: ...ouch. I doubt that had a very pleasant effect on their racial psyche.

Ah, they went the 'bigger gun' route right off the bat. And then followed the Teddy Roosevelt method of diplomacy: 'Speak softly, and carry a big stick.'

That's a nastily effective layout. Hooray for guns that can fire through solid objects, eh? :rolleyes:

They've been busy in the last two-odd weeks. Unless this was set up well before the Ring handoff.

Great. Sounds like a min-maxing DM sick of player tricks.

On the other hand, if you can pop in long enough for them to track and fire, then very quickly make an exit before the shot can hit, they'd probably do some damage to themselves... But that's on the level of Touhou-style bullet-scraping reflexes.

Yeah, not worth the effort of trying to arrange a 'Rube Goldberg'-worthy setup for minimal damage...

Unfortunately, you can't really zerg-rush with a respawn timer...

...Pray to Best Snek? Try a bigger gun? Give up and go home? Unfortunately, none of those are good options...

Besides prohibitive energy costs and painfully short range? Sure, if you want to knife-fight them with their own guns...

Again, assuming the Free lancers sold off their anti-spectrum weapon after the Yuna incident... Though if they'd sold it off beforehand, why would they not have been leaving at all speed with their money?

Ehhh... This might be a situation where Best Snek isn't the power-play option...

I assume that's another fleet? But why is he...

...I don't even...

I hope those aren't allies he's hitting up. Best bet, more of the Reach's remnant fleets...

On the upside, he's doing some crazy shit with Avarice. Hinon will be very interested to see this mission report.

And then doing what? Making each of the things he's taken... Crewmembers of the remnant fleets? ...Fight the remnant of Threllian's people?

...Or did he just speed-run the rest of the fleets so he could concentrate solely on this one? o_O I am honestly lost here...

Huh. So, instead of enkindling their own - rather muted - desires, he dragged chunks back and forth through the Honden and shoved them into the fleet's brains? :eek: Let's hope he plans to clean things up afterwards, because I bet that just made a mess of Best Snek's place.

Oh, dear, he has company out there, doesn't he?

For a second, I thought he was throwing Constructicons out there. Now I'm disappointed.

Oof, this boy ain't playing around either. Looks like he's had plenty of time to read up on Orange Lantern tactics.

Welp, OL just jumped from easy mode to bonus-boss difficulties. This might actually be a hassle. I presume the Scarab warrior is seconded to the remnant fleet because of the anti-Spectrum weapons. So if OL's lucky, he can head off their little experiment off at the pass.

Did you mean 'instructions' here? Because it's an odd choice otherwise.

24. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He could do that, but it's also likely that with their access to such dangerous tech an ordinary bounty hunter may not be able to do much and thus an Orange Lantern, and a powerful and experienced one at that, may be required to capture them.

Paul is an extremely powerful Lantern and has experience with various types of crazy tech.

25. Ardy

Paul also has a war to win and they’re one barely above average cargo ship. Unless they’re wearing rings themselves he has more important crap to do than fire a single barrage from a NEMO battleship

WereDragon and moralrelativity like this.
  26. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Or their just an assortment of various evil people that aren't affiliated with the Reach.

Seeing as he wanted to confuse the species the Reach reprogrammed they probably have their own thoughts, so may not be controlled.

Or even if they were altered the few thoughts they have are different enough to work.

27. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Are you seriously not paying attention to the part where these guys have access to dangerous tech and are willing to give it to the Reach?

If they are allowed to keep doing this then the Reach will probably get more and more tech.

However, if Paul stops them then the Reach lose a recourse.

The war with the Reach may take decades.

Stopping the Free Lancers may take just a few days.

Why shouldn't Paul stop them when he may be the only one that can do it and stopping them helps them with the war?

28. Ardy

Because the free lancers aren’t building this tech, I have no clue where the hell they’re getting it from but they’re middlemen, or if we’re lucky they stumbled upon some ancient tech trove and decided to sell it to the highest bidder. For all we know they’ve done literally everything they can because they’ve already sold off everything they’ve found, all they’re doing now is mopping up whatever profit they have left to grab by duplicating the tech and selling it before the reach starts producing anti construct guns on their own

Don’t ignore them or anything, but Paul can take on whole fleets by himself and unless he plans to greediport to them and end this in 10 seconds this doesn’t require his skills

29. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Why would them being middlemen or just finding the tech but not building it matter?

They still have the tech and are selling it.

If Paul catches them then he can figure out where they're getting it from and stop it at the source.

If he doesn't then they're free to keep selling it to the Corps' enemies.

Or other people can find the place they're getting it from, or the one making it can use other people to sell it.

And why should Paul take a risk and think that they've sold all the tech they had?

The first time he met them they had a power ring in their possession.

The second time they came up he found out they have anti-Lantern tech.

Taking a chance and hoping that they have no more tech is stupid when so far it's been shown they have tech that can do serious damage to the OLC and GLC if it continues spreading.

And this may require his skills.

As I mentioned previously, Paul is extremely powerful and has a lot of experience with unusual tech.

The Free Lancers apparently managed to get away from Jordan, a skilled Lantern, so they have experience fighting Lanterns and thus any Lantern Paul sends to get them may not be able to do the job.

30. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    Those were some of the other Reach-created fleets.
    Thank you, corrected.