1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, fixed.

2. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

What is the problem with using a construct ring as a backup secondary/tertiary ring slaved to the proper ring.
    I was under the impression those rings could store and maintain a charge.
    Remember the scenes with people finding rings inadvertently called from Larfleeze's stash by OL.
    They worked until depleted. Which means they can get him back up to 200, 300 or 400% so low charges don't happen again.

Not sure that is a actual word the way you are using it. Googling it brings up game results.
    Trying to exclude that with 'define hexile' had the search ignored as a typo and results displayed for 'define exile'.
    There was definition from Urban dictionary about being exiled from your dorm so a roommate can do some black magic.

Also, it is backhanded. It you were trying to coin a definition of 'in the top sixth' which would be the top 16-17%. Like saying the person who destroyed all your ships would be in the top 10% of Reach warriors, but not the top percentile (1%), or top 1/36th (whatever that would be in reach number conventions).

Green, Mr. Zoat, really? Using the team colors of the wrong Lantern Core, for shame.

3. Mr Zoat

Yes.

4. LazySloth13

LazySloth13 Versed in the lewd.

Mr Zoat with mention of the Turians from Mass Effect is there any chance of seeing an alternate version of the SI, or a future version of Paul, dropped into said universe armed with a power ring?

5. Mr Zoat

Seems unlikely. I had ideas about a DC Earth in Mass Effect universe, but nothing with an SI. The main point of view character would have been Lor-Zod.

Wetbananas, Ngamer11, Ardy and 2 others like this.
  6. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

Against. Against each other.
    And one is likely already wearing a long lab coat that could be seen as grey in a dark lightening.

7. Silverias

Silverias Know what you're doing yet?

Honestly, I'm really hoping we get more Ophidian soon.

Her presence was interesting, and the heart (and its implications) have been a very interesting plot concept that hasn't been quite resolved yet.

I also want more Alan. He's an important difference between SI and Renegade's universes and I'd like to see what he's doing with his second chance.

(These are all preferences, and are in no way demands on the author)

8. Michael Vonica

Michael Vonica Know what you're doing yet?

Do Raven and Trigon exist on Earth 16? I know that Paul tried looking for Raven, and couldn't find her.

9. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Zoat once said that he may plan to have Trigon show up in year 6, or after the story ends.

Renegade Raven also gets adopted by Richard Swift, a.k.a. the Shade.

10. Michael Vonica

Michael Vonica Know what you're doing yet?

I have yet to read Renegade. I should probably go back and do that.

11. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

It still hasn't happened yet and it may take years, both in the story and in real life, until it does happen.

ChestBurster likes this.
  12. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

The more proper term is "sextile." I didn't flag it as an error because it looked like "character doesn't know word, makes up something that works, can still be understood; no problem."

13. Threadmarks: Medidiction (part 2)
    Mr Zoat

26th August 2012
    17:28 GMT

I suppose that 'because they'll kill each other if I don't' is the obvious answer.

Thaddeus appears to have rebuilt and improved the mechanical frame he wore to get-.

Ah.

"Thaddeus, you haven't actually found a way to access the Honden of Avarice without me, have you?"

"Hm…" He squirms into position. "Accessing arcane realms is relatively simple, but interacting with them in a useful fashion is complicated. I can not do what you do and go there whenever I feel like, and the inertia of people's desires means that it is actually quite-" He checks the range of movement, rotating the right arm in a circle. "-difficult to change it. And the Ophidian would not like it one bit."

"Please don't."

"I am.. more interested…" His frame bunny hops up and down, a cyan… Fizzing effect appearing around the wrists and ankles. "In exotic energy and mechanics than I am in arcane physics..." He wobbles the frame back and forth, nodding as it automatically adjusts to remain upright. "Anyway."

"Have you ever been in a fight before?"

"Yes? Of course I have." The frame begins walking out of the preparation area and towards the arena. "I mean, not a formal duel like this, but the-. The encounter that led to this, that was fighting."

"Right, yes, but if I remember the Justice League files correctly, don't you usually make sure that you have the drop on your target, shoot first from concealment and avoid getting into combat personally?"

"Yes, I do know that I'm not as physically imposing as Magni. But I have engaged in fisticuffs with Lieutenant Marvel."

I frown. "Really?"

"Well. Nearly. He was punching the force field, and I was-. The point is, I'm no stranger to working in close physical proximity to violence."

"Have you ever been injured?"

"A few bruises, a few scrapes."

"No serious injuries?"

"Paul, look at me. There's not that much of me to injure. When we fight the Marvels, if the force fields go down then it is time to throw in the towel. Qwardians like Daciya aren't anything like as strong as that, but if it somehow comes down to a contest of strength then I have still lost."

"Alright, but you need to be aware that she's had a lot more physical conditioning than you have."

"All time wasted." We walk out of the entrance and start out across the arena floor. "Physical effort is constantly being supplanted by machinery in every field of endeavour. If she was serious about being a Weaponer, she should have realised that her time was better spent improving her weapons."

He pulls a lever and his frame's right arm swings in a gesture of dismissal.

"That sort of foolishness is why they assigned her to be a test subject."

Approaching from the other side I see Kalmin walking… I don't think that he and Daciya are actually walking together so much as walking in the same direction from the same place. Daciya's augmented her dull brown armour with additional plates and.. some sort of bracer-mounted assemblage connected to the armour's back. I suspect that her armour isn't made for taking direct hits so much as blocking shrapnel or the radiation emitted by her own weapons, but I suppose that I shouldn't assume where an Apprentice Weaponer is concerned.

"Huh. Her armour's interfering with my scans."

"Yes?"

"That's actually somewhat-. Oh, no, there we go."

Daciya skips a half-step and her armour shimmers slightly.

"And there we go again."

"Worried?"

"I have no objection to working for my successes. Though that may well make it a little harder to leave her alive. I assume that you would prefer that?"

"Ideally. Don't risk yourself."

"Of course not."

We come to a halt in the middle of the arena, slightly ahead of the Qwardian duo. They approach at a steady rate, stopping five metres away.

"Weaponer Kalmin. Is your student ready?"

"She is. Is the boy ready?"

"Always hard to be sure ahead of time, but he thinks so."

Thaddeus looks at me.

"What are you doing?"

"You're here at my invitation. Daciya's here at Kalmin's. Kalmin and I negotiated how this was going to work while you were preparing."

"What do you mean, 'how it's going to work'?"

"Did you think we were in the business of letting people challenge each other to fights to the death? If you want to fight here, you will follow the rules we lay down."

"Why are you bringing this up now?"

"Because I didn't want to give you time to argue. So: the format."

"What's wrong with just fighting?"

"Because it turns the whole thing into rock-paper-scissors. Neither of you have seen each other's best work. So either one of you has an advantage and wins, or you're both vulnerable to each other and both die. And that's boring."

Kalmin shakes his helmeted head. "He actually suggested turning the arena into a junk yard and forcing you to build from what you could salvage."

"That could have been interesting. But what did you agree to on my behalf?"

"Nine rounds of five minutes each, with ten minutes between them to repair or modify your equipment. Rounds are fought to time, until one party concedes or until Kalmin or I call it. The victor is the first to win five rounds, or the one who incapacitates their opponent. When we call a round, you will stop or we will stop you. You will not like it if we have to stop you."

It looks like Kalmin briefed Daciya, but she doesn’t look entirely sanguine.

"What happens when I kill him?"

"As if."

"Them's the breaks. Deliberately killing an incapacitated opponent will result in our displeasure, but if they happen to die… That's just what happens sometimes."

Kalmin nods. "This is intended to be a learning exercise. I'd like it if you both left with a few scars, but it's most important that you both learn something."

"Oh, fine." Thaddeus raises his frame's arms into a boxer's pose. "I'll go easy on her. When do we begin?"

I nod to Kalmin, and we rise into the air and head back towards our respective entrances. Engaging arena force fields…

"Go on three. One, two,-"

Last edited: Aug 12, 2021
  14. Dakkan Sall

Dakkan Sall Random Encounter

Should be 'suggested' past tense I believe.

And I wonder if we'll be seeing the entire duel, or just the beginning/end/highlights. Nine rounds seems like a bit much to make a chapter/mini-arc out of.

15. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'if I don't' is the'

'rebuilt'

'in a'

you're right to be worried.

Also any previous fights with the Marvel family.

So like Rick and his fight with Reggie, except less fighting on Thad's part and Freddie isn't a douchebag like Reggie.

Nothing wrong with trying to make sure you can be dangerous without tech.

Actually it was because the head honcho didn't want competent and rebellious people around.

Maybe add 'competition' at the end.

'has an'

'or modify'

Now to witness the fight of the century!

The next chapter is going to feature Paul just commenting what happened in the fight after it happened offscreen, isn't it?

16. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Missing closing quote.

rebuilt

EDIT: Well dang. And here I thought I was being early for a change and I was still ninjaed.

17. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    Yes.
    Thank you, corrected.

18. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

So! Thaddeus’ least-mad sister has performed trials with the Purple Healing Ray. Given the family traditions about using foreign tech though, will Thaddeus have such a ray on him in case he gets injured?

What else… Possum- no, we don’t need a repeat performance. Hard to say what will show up here!

Prince Charon likes this.
  19. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

I'd pay to see Scrapheap Challenge: Qwardian addition.

20. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

Idk if Zoat addressed this, but such statements seem to imply a Controller like Hinon can overpower things like Titans or gods, which I have a bit of trouble accepting (I can accept that Maltusian abilities can work anywhere/outside thaumically active worlds and are thus more reliable, but could Hinon just piledrive Zeus if she wanted to?). The general Maltusian policy of not fighting directly means it probably won't be a practical concern for the narrative, unless the Anti-Monitor shows up or something.

DAT_NOOB and Otto von Saurion like this.
  21. FreeGod

FreeGod If you see a God on the road fuck it!

Maltusian are in a weird sort of Worf situation in the narrative where they are godlike and can do anything until suddenly something beats them. It is easy to justify them beating just about anything or anyone, but narratively they aren't protagonists so they are often used to show just how big and scary the big bad is.

Edit: At least my experience has been that if they appear on screen they are somehow beaten or made helpless so the protagonists can protag.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
    Vorian, Prince Charon, Ardy and 5 others like this.
  22. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

"Thaddeus, you're my friend..."

"I'm your WHAT?"

"But if you think Orange Snek Senpai will let you younguns just roughhouse without supervision, than you're hankering for a timeout, young man!"

"...I'm your WHAT?"

23. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Renegade once mentioned that the Guardians are able to crush entire planets with their powers.

The Controllers basically share similar powers, so they may be able to do it.

Gods and Titans may be powerful beings, but I don't think most of them can crush planets.

And Paul, a guy who's gone up against a Titan, didn't think he'd be able to take on the Guardians if they attacked him.

24. FreeGod

FreeGod If you see a God on the road fuck it!

Paul didn't have Feed Me back then, but if Guardians attacked Paul in most situations I would expect Paul to run rather than fight.

25. crazygrox

crazygrox Versed in the lewd.

I mean ... he's got a fair bit of anti-construct tech now.
    What do the Guardians do if he shows up to a fight surrounded by a crumbler field and shooting off beams of this new construct destroying beam in every direction?
    Edit: and also the energy feeding technique.
    I'm just saying that there are options.

They seem like the sort of people who would believe so strongly in the supremacy of the Green light that they might fail to take the obvious counter method of using physical objects, and if you can pile on enough things that Lanterns are weak to it might be possible to out fight one of them.

At least they'd probably be slowed down by a compulsive need to analyse and devise purely green-light counters for things that are specialized in countering green light.
    And that's setting aside how Hinon or Krona(admittedly without any of his innate abilities at the time) weren't able to casually break avarice enlightened Paul's constructs.

Maybe it'd be a good idea to have a thinking cap integrated in the armor and trained up to a fair level of skill well before such a fight, given that ancient Martians were able to fight the Guardians with telepathy. and show up with an army to fight one target, but it doesn't sound completely unsurvivable.

Otto von Saurion likes this.
  26. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Admittedly, depending on what they bring, the arena, the surrounding city, or even the continent may also get blown up. Which may vex the Controllers, who would have to be the ones to repair it all. Joy of unleashing two teenage hyper-cognitives with a penchant for weapons at each other.

Goddammit, what was I just saying about Sivanas getting access to the Spectrum.It would have been nice if you'd though to at least check Tad's gear some time beforehand, not a minute before the match starts.

Yes, very good plan. Do not antagonise Best Snek, please. I don't think OL will enjoy your father's subsequent vexation at all.

"... Define 'fight'." I mean, I would be amused if this ultimately came down to unarmed wrestling. Might even awaken Tad's libido.

I mean, that's an entirely sensible and proper way to win a fight. Though I suspect it results in a few hard feelings if the opponent doesn't even realise it's a fight until they recover (if at all.)

...In any way other than you serving as a punching bag?

And do you have a backup clone ready to be downloaded into? I doubt Doctor Sivana would allow his children to run around loose without some form of backup plan, after all.

You know, broken bones, head injuries, that sort of thing. I know DC-verse humans are tougher than us by default, but I'm pretty sure you aren't Dannered... Which does seem something of an oversight by the good Doctor.

Also, she's not likely to have any mercy to throw yourself upon. Or did you forget the 'member of an omnicidal alien race' part of her history, Tad?

...He installed a Taunt button? Oh, god...

Of course she ignored physical defences. That's what force-fields are for, after all.

Also force-fields. Honestly, Tad, you're not a complete n00b.

...I have a bad feeling about that...

...Just a bit, I would expect. All that effort spent to keep her alive back on Qward shouldn't go wasted, after all.

...He's going to get his ass handed to him, isn't he? :oops: Or at least groped by a rather randy Qwardian girl.

No doubt a few interested parties are watching from a safe distance. Like orbit.

"You know how teenagers are."
    "Sadly, yes. Thankfully, they can be broken of such bad habits."

...This is a duel, Tad. What, did you expect them to just let you wander in and start throwing nukes at each other just like that?

Boy, you're being whiny all of a sudden. A little annoyed you're not getting to be alone with the alien hottie? :p

Because he knew you'd be a whiny git about it... :rolleyes: Just like, oh look, you're being right now.

Does the term 'minimising collateral damage' mean anything to you?
    "Feh, if they don't want bystanders getting hurt, they shouldn't be hanging around anyway."

Okay, see, that would have been an actual challenge for both of you. Especially if the place were seeded with some interesting bits for either to find. You could have sold tickets on pay-per-view.

The first offence will likely involve giant hands. Do not make OL regress to that level. Please. Or the constructs will get more and more embarrassing for you..

Not that she's that concerned about his survival, is she? I'm sure that tune will change as they go on and get to see what they can really do..

Also, Thaddeus Senior will likely invent a way to kill you all the way from Earth. While it might prove an instructive demonstration, you won't get to participate as anything other than the target...

...This is going to be a valuable lesson about assumptions for Tad, isn't it?

Yes, definitely want to avoid the splash zone. It's likely to get quite energetic in a second.

Well, this is either going to come down to a double knockout in the last round, or the two of them either wrestling or making out in the middle of the field after all their weapons are expended. :D Or all of the above. Either way, it'll probably make people watching even more concerned about the calibre of being Earth is producing...

27. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Sivana Senior wasn't so interested in his youngest physical strength as much as he was interested in their intelligence.

By breaking a lot of their bones.

28. WereDragon

WereDragon Bookwyrm

I miss scrapheap challenge.

With a bit of luck Thaddeus will take more damage to his ego than his body. And also lose a limb or two.

29. Soul Shocker

Soul Shocker Not too sore, are you?

"Paul, look at me. There's not that much of me too injure."

To injure

30. Steelplaza

Steelplaza Custom Title

I didn't read "beings younger and weaker than me" as a reference to Titans or gods, but as a reference to "magic" being produced by the connection of regular mortal beings to the Dreaming. The weaker beings are the general population of the universe who collecting help produce magic/etheric ripples.

Vorian likes this.