1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    No, that's correct.

2. SemiAnarchist

SemiAnarchist Versed in the lewd.

You're.

3. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Hehe, angry feather woman go swing

Xor was taught to value abstract concepts and so was she. The difference being, her abstract concept is the state and that is, by the definition of existing abover her own desires, harder to internalise than his values.

The exception may be an autocratic ruler who genuinely sees a state as being literally theirs.

4. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

You're about to think of a bird of prey analogy, aren't you? Really, OL? I wouldn't go mentioning it to Dul, she might find it offensive.I do hope Xor's goodbyes didn't take too long, or involve too many threats from his girlfriend about him coming home in one piece and sound of mind and body...

At least you feel bad for even thinking it, OL.

Not what he asked, you know. And really, it seems wasteful...

So, you like lording it over the 'little people' you've conquered. Yes, I see that going down well with Xor, who basically is one of those sort of 'little people'...

Oh, this is going to be annoying, if they keep sniping at each other over cultural hate-at-first-sight...

Really not endearing yourself to Xor... It's probably a good thing neither of you will likely ever see each other again after this mission.

...Okay, are you under orders to push him, Dul? Does your boss really want you to set off a war with the Alignment? Because that's about the only reason I can see for such irritatingly obnoxious behaviour.

I wonder if OL if reconsidering his choice of Lanterns yet. I shudder to imagine the arguments that'll get started once they're joined by Onik...

Which one isn't led by complete arseholes? Because I'm sure Xor would like to continue exercising his new skills at overthrowing governments...

About time you stepped in, OL. I suspect these two are going to test your leadership skills something fierce over the next few days...

No wasting time, eh? I suppose the sooner you can get to Karax, the less item they have to antagonise each other.

I'm sure some got away. That sort of person, much like cockroaches, love to scurry out of sight and hide... Especially if someone highly placed has sympathies they can conceal well enough.

Thank goodness for small mercies, I suppose.

...Yes, I take it that's the party line, Lantern. Care to go into more detail for your Illustres?

To remind people: Sharon Parker is the current incarnation of the Golden Age Hawkgirl. Herself a reincarnation of, amongst others, an ancient Kahndaqi princess and a Thanagarian. Seriously, the Hawks have a really convoluted history.

Probably a mix of 'guano, why didn't I think of that?' and 'oh guano, how much does he suspect?', I would expect. She is nothing if not a loyal agent...

Because, after all, what they want isn't necessarily best for Thanagar's people. Just for themselves...

I suspect not even the most corrupt member of the leadership, outside of any secret cultists, wants that.

In other words: 'Anything else I might object to?'

Good luck managing that without the Ophidian's full support. And they nearly managed to create a black hole in the process doing it.

Oh, boy. I get the feeling she's going to be getting the 'what do you really want' talk sooner or later on this trip...

Here's a hint: Avarice is inherently selfish. OL simply learned how to make his wants line up with other people's wants.

Altruism, by comparison, is selfless. Supporting other's wants above your own. Guess what else that's called? Compassion. Xor gets that.

To be fair, I'm sure they're very impressive hats. I'm sure some of them are magnificent. But you can't judge the person by hat alone... You've got to look deeper, at their character. Find out who they are in the dark...

Perhaps she'll loose some of that blind obedience that's been ingrained to her by the State. And that's a good thing. It'll probably improve her ring-slinging too.

Ah-ha. Might be a good chance for her to get out from under her master's thumbs for a while, it seems. Assuming there aren't recording devices in her clothes. Might want to scan her, Nth Metal or not.

Okay, I take back what i said about this being a volatile mix yesterday. Nitroglycerine has nothing on the potential these two have to explode. If Onik gets on as well with them as they do with each other, I may have to revise my estimate to something closer to Dioxygen Diflouride... We can but hope OL can keep them on task and in line... :confused: ...Bets on how much of Karax will be on fire by the end of this episode? And no, 'All of it' doesn't count!

5. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I'm now thinking that they will.

I'm also imagining them as a buddy cop type duo.

I think she feels like he's insulting her society so she's insulting him.

You can say that again.

Suckers bet.

6. FeepingCreature

FeepingCreature Not too sore, are you?

Lantern Bonaparte?

"L'état, c'est moi."

edit: Oh god damn it, that was Louis the Fourteenth, not Napoleon.

edit: Could have been Napoleon though!

7. webxro

webxro Benevolent Bystander

Well, this kinda explains the future shortage of Nth metal. I mean they are using it for status symbols, monuments to arrogance, I wonder if cutting down on that would improve their situation. Also probably OL might notice why the Guardians had to add their crapware to the rings, I mean how long until they have defectors, or people using their rings to help their governments murder rebels. Hell even a short jump and scan the closest neighbors would be a good bonus for any space empire.

8. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Paragon... Stop expecting Thanagarian desires to work the same as human desires...

Otto von Saurion and Cuchulin like this.
  9. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

looks a heartbeat from -> looks to be a heartbeat away from (or maybe without 'to be'?)
    I'm looking forward to seeing how much OL is able to 'corrupt' Lantern Dul.
    Tbh, I think her behaviour is entirely consistent with what we've seen of her before.

10. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    It's an acceptable abbreviation.

11. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

Did she just make the argument that the Reach is the coolest?

12. Gilar

Gilar Your first time is always over so quickly, isn't it?

Guardians of the Universe

13. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Zoat seems to have disregarded that aspect, but in the comics at least that stupidity was worse- Nth metal is an energy converter, not an energy source.

Silver Scarab's suit was solar powered, Prince Khufu used Bagdad batteries.

So they are actually wasting energy 24/7 (or thanagarian equivalent) for those stupid floating cities.

But wait, it gets even better- Which they powered, by having a God in a can. The Hawk God to be precise.

14. Mr Zoat

It's like a stupid onion. You peal away a layer of stupid in the hopes of finding something appetising, but no, only more stupid.

15. Jirachi

Jirachi I trust you know where the happy button is?

AFAICT, Altruism does work, it's just... not very stable or reliable or powerful, and even when you use altruism you tend to get results from abstract but personal desires like the human optimization thing.
    And it doesn't seem like it's so much that it's nesscarily an inferior philosiphy for this as a demonstration that where she is right now with ring mastery it's a little sub-ideal - it's possible to function, probably similarily effectively with that anger, it's just not something that she's achieved yet - His Contempt is useful for some things but probably runs into problems about 'worthiness' of target and makes focusing it on some things difficult.
    (Though def agree more with Xor as a more optimal philosiphy personally)

16. gustyeagle

gustyeagle Know what you're doing yet?

"Wait, do you have buildings made out of any other parts of your bodies, because that doesn't seem like a useful criteria for building materials."

17. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

“Indeed. We have nurseries made of our feathers, cafeterias made of intestines to process food scraps, restrooms made of repurposed keratin for cleanliness, our building entrances include hand-sized bile pools so employees can remove pheromones and body odor with impunity, and the offices of leadership include vast amounts of networked grey matter for arithmetics.”

18. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

On the off chance that anyone's been keeping track, how many Scarabs/Scarab Warriors has Paragon encountered? I believe every one he has has been killed, but maybe I'm forgetting something. He hasn't encountered Season 2's Black Beetle, right?

I know Renegade's only indirectly helping with the fight against the Reach by letting the Controllers have access to the Orange CPB, but is he at all interested in acquiring a Scarab himself? It seems like useful technology to study, and his magical abilities should make him quite effective against one, both in combat and in possibly subverting the implant's self-destruct features.

ChestBurster and Xmaster3000 like this.
  19. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Renegade may have access to weapons that can rival a Scarab, so there may be no reason for him to get one.

He already has several power rings, as well as New God tech, so I think he's good with his weapon options.

20. Mr Zoat

That is correct. When he encounters Black Beetle I'll make sure that it's obvious.
    No.
    There are lots of useful technologies in the universe, but without an expert in the technology to adapt it into something more immediately useful he's decided that he's better off pursuing other avenues. I mean, aside from anything else he's got a Weaponer right there.

21. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

For personal empowerment and armament, I agree he's all set, but for his followers, especially those he can't Awaken, Scarab technology seems quite useful. I don't know what proportion of his Lanterns are still using construct-rings compared to actual power rings at this point, but advanced technology that doesn't require a specific mindset and is thus more easily accessible and usable, as well as granting near-parity with a power ring in combat, is something I think is valuable to pursue.

Weaponer Lysis is actually a reason that I thought would make him consider nabbing a Scarab, since she might have a viable chance of hacking/cracking it, though I agree it wouldn't be as immediately useful as having an existing expert. Speaking of the latter, though, I believe Renegade is still laying off assimilating any more people, but does he have the same rule for the rest of his Corps? And do the Controllers allow their Lanterns (I think they should have some by now?) to assimilate too? Because that seems like a direct way to get an expert on the tech, with Renegade's hush tube technology. I'm still kind of impatient that Paragon hasn't tried instant transmission himself, because the more time passes the greater the risk that the Reach can develop ways to bypass it (though besides those construct-destroying guns which they got externally, I don't see much evidence of them effectively manipulating or countering the energies of the emotional spectrum)

22. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

Mr Zoat This is kinda a random question but is there something planned with Renegade dealing with the Danner enhanced natives in Brazil. I know that Paragon and Renegade both dealt with Mars' caste system to wildly different effects. And I wanna see how Grayven would differ from Paragon on a planned invasion to destroy a first-world country while the people are inherently stronger.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2021
  23. Michael Vonica

Michael Vonica Know what you're doing yet?

Will there be some upcoming discussion on other lantern color philosophy? I had some ideas on the violet light.

ChestBurster, Xmaster3000 and Bud-E like this.
  24. Mr Zoat

I don't think that he even knows it's happening. Since Brazil was affected far less badly by the Sheeda attacks and since Hugo Danner wasn't recovered, the Accala's original plan is still in effect. They're just not ready to carry it out yet.

25. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Honestly the Alpha Centurion technology seems a better choice.

He showed up in that Guild of Justice or whatever it was called with Omen and Firebird.

Alpha Centurion is an obscure character so here's the impressive bit- There's a universe in the DC multiverse in which Marcus is the Superman equivalent- Hero of Metropolis, Lois's guy, has a giant golden statue for dying saving the city (from Doomsday? Unknown).

So apparently that Virmiru power armor makes you the equal of a Kryptonian, and is already capable of forming energy constructs like swords and shields.

And no built in mind controlling AI to worry about, just duplicate the technology.

The scarabs might have the benefit of versatility, but that really depends on how good that energy construct technology is.

Otto von Saurion and Xmaster3000 like this.
  26. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

Their original plan was to just attack Brazil for a while then claim their land by force I do not see that going well. The Light/Justice League would definitely put a hard stop to that and since Hugo is still on ice with none the wiser I don't see anyone talking them down from all-out war.

27. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

Ok, someone has to play the opposition here.
    I recently saw a commercial for aluminum cups as a green alternative to plastic. Because even though costly to condense from the raw ore, once made it is easily to recycle and use again and again and again.

Personally I think that argument is rather shit because western civilisation can be a shitty thing full of shitty people, and nearly all of those metal cups are going to be thrown into the regular trash same as the plastic ones, and current metal soda cans are. But the idea is fine in principle, and is true for larger things like metal in cars.

Using Nth metal in the capital buildings doesn't consume it or waste it, stockpiles it. In a place that is already being heavily guarded, in manner that makes it rather obvious if someone does try to purloin the metal clandestinely, and in such a way that future generation could dip into the stockpile, but would be politically disincentivized from doing outside an actual dire need.

28. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Technically his Honden trick is instant transmission.

It honestly shares a lot of similarities with the instant transmission from DBZ.

Both allow the user to travel vast distances in a moment, bith have it be locked to a persons energy or something that serves as an equivalent, and both have the user put their fingers to their forehead.

29. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

Mister Zoat did the non-Orange Jevek Jos-Jar (Controller who created Effigy) complete any notable projects in Renegade-Paul’s timeline? I don’t believe Grayven sent Maltus the Burning Martian, so the controller would probably choose another project.

Edit: Oh golly, I hope he’s read a database entry on Grayven that included Sunset Shimmer or some description of Equestria. I support abominations of science!

Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
  30. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

::cough::ReneGrayven::cough::

EDIT: Well, arguably, but arguably not, as well.