1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

The latter, though the former is nice to know too. Having things go largely the same in DC history despite the actual existence of deities and magic for the sake of having a modern setting that resembles the real world is its whole mess of issues that will probably always be a thing to just take as given.

2. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Ah, so the Amazons of the Amazon aren't a thing here. Good to know.

While they're reprominance in the comics is post flashpoint, they did first show up in '84.

Who might have found the fountain of youth or something, becuase they were supposed to be mortal, not living on the island where they are kept immortal by the gods, yet the first generation of Amazons of the Amazon Rainforest who left Hippolyta's rule were still alive thousands of years later.

Which is pretty good run for a mortal.

3. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

I can't wait to see what kinda society forms from the Accala people since they now basically own Brazil since the Sheeda invasion.

4. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

Looks like he hated it being a plant-based parody of a human city.
    J is like that, but Alstair isn't.
    He doesn't have a problem with plant-based infrastructure in and of itself since he was fine providing Gotham with plants that made various goods.
    Given the choice between polluting human tech and non-polluting alien plant tech, they would both prefer humans use the plant tech.

Xmaster3000, Cuchulin and Ardy like this.
  5. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

We should place bets on how long it will take Lonnie to alter his brain chemistry (or alter his hormones to such an extent it alters his behavior, like Paul did).

Cuchulin likes this.
  6. Threadmarks: Medidiction (part 10)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

27th August 2012
    00:57 GMT

Oh flip the heck yes.

Onik looks around in fascination at the printed books. They're not printed on paper; it's actually a type of plastic with the words being made of the same stuff in a different colour. But they're designed to look like leather-bound paper books, just like mine is. Toren has clearly been here before, so rather than stare at the books he's staring at the strands of orange that are radiating out of me to touch all of them.

Dul is standing at ease, waiting for me to start. Xor is next to her, but that's more because this part of the library isn't designed to be accessible to people of his size.

"Lantern Toren, it feels like the books and passages relating to fear have been accessed considerably more frequently than the rest of late."

"My fellow monks are the most likely to be called to replace me if I die. Sinestro has killed more Green Lanterns than anyone else in centuries."

"I didn't think you'd ever met him."

"I have not. But this monastery is the sort of place that he has shown himself inclined to attack. A place with a serving Green Lantern and others loyal to the Corps."

The Orange Lantern Corps doesn't have an official position on Sinestro. He hasn't allied with the Reach, so he isn't our problem. Dox told me that he hasn't spoken to him since their initial conversation, and there isn't any obvious reason for him to lie to me about it. Personally, I'd like to learn a little more about what he's trying to achieve before making a decision. Silver Age Sinestro was a Dark Kantian sort of guy, while Modern Age Sinestro was acting in the belief that order was the highest good and that it was best maintained through fear. I'd probably just kill the first one, but the second… Not sure.

"So you wanted to read about how other Green Lanterns have confronted and overcome their fears?"

Toren nods. "Since Sinestro's constructs are strengthened by fear, it seemed like the logical thing to do."

Ah, so many stories! And… Mostly lacking in the sort of detail I'd need, but they're a start!

"Well then. If fear's what you're worried about…"

I transition back to Xor and Dul.

"Let's do some sharing!"

Dul looks dubious. "What sort of sharing?"

"Fear. From what I'm reading, it seems that learning to respond to fear by strengthening their focus helps Green Lanterns punch through their problems. Several trained to confront their fears until the response was instinctive. Feel fear and focus, though…" I turn to Lantern Toren as he walks out of the stacks. "Don’t try that against Sinestro. He knows that it's a standard technique and would almost certainly prepare to take advantage of your focus narrowing."

He nods. "I thought that he might. Of course, completely defeating my own fears is far more difficult than learning to work through them."

I frown.

"Wouldn't learning Sinestro's fears work better? He needs to command them to even use his ring."

"Sinestro did not become First Lantern by being weak-willed."

"Great! If he just focuses his mind to shut out everything else then his ring will stop working." I look at Onik. "Lantern Onik, would you mind demonstrating?"

He nods floating off the ground for a moment before his environmental shield shuts down and he lands lightly on the floor.

"Thank you. Sinestro spent a long time as a Green Lantern. If some responses from that time are ingrained, tricking him into falling back on them might work."

"I will try and turn that into an actual tactic and bear it in mind."

"I still catch Alan out like that sometimes."

"Who is 'Alan'?"

"Alan Scott? Got hold of Green Lantern Yalan Gur's power ring, used it for decades and then switched to a blue ring. Since that-."

"You mentioned a 'blue' Lantern earlier, but I don't know what those are."

We stare at each other for a moment.

"Isn't knowing this your religion?"

"I understand that Earth is a strange place."

"Alright, fine. The spectrum." I take a holographic display out of subspace and show the image. "Red, for rage and hate. Though Weaponer Kalmin uses a single word for it and I've never heard of anyone catalysing it with cold and calm hatred, so my label might be a cultural artefact. The Qwardians experimented with it, but couldn't ever harness it in a controlled way. Then orange for avarice, yellow for fear, green…"

"Then blue for hope, and as far as I know Alan Scott of Two Eight One Four is the only blue ring user currently active. Lovely man. Then we have indigo for compassion. They're active and recruiting, by the way, though I've only met one. And last of all violet, love. The favourite colour of the Zamarons. Two violet ring users are active on Earth, both running off sororal love, though one is highly interested in this 'romantic love' she's heard so much about."

"I have personally seen power rings of each of these colours. Each of these colours is an emotion you -collectively- have to learn to integrate." I reach out and take hold of Toren's right hand, and after a moment's consideration he doesn't resist me touching his ring. I pointedly make eye contact with Onik as I start to float. "This is not something that I have a problem with. I cannot be weakened by exposure to other emotions. And neither can Guy Gardner-"

Tora blushed when we told her how we were testing it, but I think she was pleased. Whow, I haven't spoken to her since… A… While.

"-and I'm pretty sure that Green Lantern Illustres Chaselon can't be either. Though remember that certain emotions are built into the universe while others aren't; you can feel any amount of joy or pride or boredom without it affecting ring use at all. One of the things I want to teach you to do is to redirect impulses from the other colours to fuel your use of the orange light."

Dul considers my monologue.

"Is that what you did to gain 'enlightenment'?"

"No. That was a rather different process."

"If we're trying to get what you have, shouldn't we do that instead?"

"You can. Step one, learn to turn off your ring without feeling a contradictory emotion. I did this without practice while merged with the Ophidian because I realised that continuing to feel avarice was making it impossible to get what I wanted. Step two, openly and honestly examine all of your desires and accept them all as part of who you are. Some of them will probably horrify you; that doesn't matter. They're still you."

"There is no step three." I smile sarcastically. "Simple, yes?"

Onik frowns, then raises his left hand slightly and stares at his ring.

His environmental shield stays on.

"Maybe you don't want it off hard enough."

"I don't think-"

His shield flares.

"-that's how it works, Great Master."

"No. It isn't. So since Lantern Dul was having trouble with rage earlier, let's start with that."

Last edited: Jul 4, 2021
  7. Dakkan Sall

Dakkan Sall Random Encounter

"it feels"
    I would guess this should be either "hasn't allied" or "isn't allies"

8. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'it feels'

Probably due to Sinestro.

He can remove what is potentially a big recruitment place for the GLC.

'allied'

Always on the lookout for working with murderers and maniacs.

Just because someone follows a certain religion that doesn't mean they'll know everything about it.

And that's assuming they even have any information on the Spectrum.

An understatement.

'love, though'

Seeing two attractive men holding hands and sharing their feelings...

I bet she was very pleased with that.

He is enlightened.

'built'

'without it'

Though they are built in other universes.

Like that guy who found out his species wasn't dead did and turned his hope into avarice.

9. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    No, no, they tested it with Guy's love for her.

10. Radiant Knight

Radiant Knight Phoenix Fire

This should probably be 'No. It isn't.'

11. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

Pretty sure doesn’t is correct, as in “no it doesn’t work that way.”

mastermenthe and FeepingCreature like this.
  12. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

Huh. This site corrects a double space after a full stop to a single space, but leaves other double spaces where they are. I wonder why?

13. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Are the other Green Lanterns of Earth aware of Guy using his ring for "recreational uses"? If yes, would they be annoyed that he's use one of the most powerful tools in the universe as a toy, or that they (mostly Jordan) can't do it themselves?

14. Mr Zoat

When I said 'love', I meant 'feelings of romantic attraction'.

15. webxro

webxro Benevolent Bystander

Would the pink people be able to use it in the same "creative" way ? I mean it sounds right up that color alley.

16. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Aw... Are they at least scented to smell like an old library? Because that is a primal scent for some people. That scent of old paper and aging leather, of the faintest wisps of dust, and of cool, dry air... For some people, that is the smell of knowledge.

Sounds like someone's been boning up on the relationship between fear and will... Something of a 'just in case' preparation, Graf Toren?

Doesn't mean it can't happen in future. The renegade Lantern's location is still a mystery in most timelines of Earth-16.

Not to mention the whole 'training ground for future karaxian Green Lanterns' thing. If someone's preparing for a war, as comics-Canon Sinestro was during his absence following the return of Hal Jordan to the role... What better place to make a first strike than a place that produces telented foes?

I can see Silver Age Sinestro's behaviour as someone who's shaken off all the fetters of his own morality after the great shame of being declared a renegade. If no-one can punish you for doing whatever you want... Well...

As signified by his confrontation with Hal Jordan during the aforementioned Rebirth mini-series. His attacks weren't as powerful against Hal as they could be because he refused to be afraid of Sinestro.

Dang. Well, it was a long shot anyway. Perhaps when taken in concert, there's something to be learned...

Yes, the lady's not the sort to be open about her feelings, after all. Likely a learned behaviour in the culture of Thanagar...

Because the downside of excessive Green light is a tendency towards tunnel vision and stubbornness. Not terrible for space cops, which is why the Guardians chose to use it, after all.

Indeed. They're your fears for a reason. Hooks into your psyche that are buried deep, in many cases. And even if you work to overcome them, you might miss something you've never considered.

True enough. I would not be surprised if he wasn't something close to Will-Enlightened. To be fair, Sinestro is in touch with most lights, if you go by his brief use of a White Ring during the Blackest Night. Heck, in some continuities, he's spent time as Parallax's Host, so he could well be Fear Enlightened too.

The problem is, Sinestro would be well aware of that weakness. And be training himself not to fall prey to it...

Let's hope you never have to actually put it to use in combat, at least.

Yes, OL. Not everyone has the encyclopaedic knowledge you do. Though from context, he could probably guess 'Alan' is a fellow Lantern of some colour other than Green.

And that would not be something in the general database for public consumption within the Corps, I bet. Guardians, am I right?

To be fair, Lanternism is having to come to grips with quite a few changes in things that everyone took for certain, these days... The existence of colours of Lanterns other than Green, and all that.

Heh. Who'd have thought all it took was someone so angry that he stumbled into enlightenment to make it work (Inspector, now Prime Minister, Geoff Talbot, over in Renegade's timeline.) I could be wrong on the name...

All things the Guardians know about, of course, courtesy of their Lanterns' reports of encounters with OL... Guess they're trying to keep them under their... Well, I would say hats, but those big heads would look silly with any kind of headwear... :V

While Mr Zoat's already said that no, it wasn't any kind of romantic moment between Guy and OL, I'm sure she's seen stories online with that kind of thing. Seriously, Fujoshi gonna Fujo. I shudder at the sheer amount of dirty fanfiction floating around cape fansites, straight or not.

Chaselon, for those forgetting him. If I remember right, he was Will-Enlightened? But even if he isn't, you don't become the Illustres of a Corps with close to 7200 members without some serious skills.

And not an entirely pleasant one at all. Especially since he was doing it out of desperation... And entirely by accident at first.

And I suspect most of them will have trouble with that part. How many subconscious thoughts do you have that would horrify you if you realised you were feeling them? :eek: That's the problem: You don't know.

Of all of them, I figure his priestly training might help him most...

Something of a Zen koan, isn't it? How to want without wanting?

Something to work on, brother Onik. Meditate on it later, perhaps you'll think of something.

And Rage is a lot easier to focus on and identify. less embarrassing than Love, too.

And so the learning process proper begins. I wonder if any of them will be able to manage the conceptual challenge of wanting something without feeling desire for it... At least other emotions will be easier to work through. And simply working with them will likely give Toren new insights into his own use of Green light. I guess we'll see soon enough.

Double Space. (Though you may have already caught it...)

17. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

Pfffft... I spent way too long looking up Kantian philosophy to make sure I knew what that was referencing.

18. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

And for others it's a breeding ground for sneezing.

I once asked Zoat if Sinestro was enlightened and I think he said no.

He's probably just very, very good at using the yellow light.

Chojin Patriarch likes this.
  19. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

Hey is there something physical or obvious about Paul that lets people know he's enlightened

20. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I'm pretty sure they know because Paul's mentioned it before, and it's probably in the book he made for Orange Lanterns to read.

Lord Ernest, Cuchulin and Bud-E like this.
  21. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Paul is such an eager teacher, it's cute

Prince Charon and Rebu like this.
  22. jasonh23761

jasonh23761 Not too sore, are you?

It would be interesting to see what a fear enlightened Sinestro would be like. Significantly more terryfying and effective, perhaps.

Lord Ernest, Prince Charon and Rebu like this.
  23. CTrees

CTrees Chasing the ring

Huh, no mention of black rings. I know he's still keeping the white rings secret, but wouldn't spreading word of the dangers of the black light generally be a good idea? Or is it a, "the more people who know about it, the more people who might try to harness it?"

Cuchulin likes this.
  24. The Unaligned Player

The Unaligned Player Agony that desires to meet Extinction

FTFY

25. Steelplaza

Steelplaza Custom Title

Sinestro has gotten an enormous amount of hype for a character who still has yet to appear in the main story. I'm pretty sure we've even had the SI thinking about the Silver Age version being a "dark Kantian" before. I wonder what Sinestro is trying to achieve. He has a power ring and no one to answer to, but he's still attacking green lanterns. What does he think he's doing?

I wonder if he'll finally appear in this arc.

Prince Charon and Cuchulin like this.
  26. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

Given Paul has wondered what Sinestro is up to multiple times, it's kind of weird he hasn't just teleported over to him by now to have a friendly chat.

Cuchulin likes this.
  27. FreeGod

FreeGod If you see a God on the road fuck it!

Paul has never seen him and doesn't know what he wants. That is sort of the problem.

Prince Charon, Ardy and Chaoswind like this.
  28. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Nope, there are two other ways to parse the sentence besides implied subject (you) - verb (enter) - object (friends).

One is to parse it in VSO order, which is common in poetic phrasings ("speak ye the truth" for example). That would make it equivalent to "Friends enter" (as opposed to enemies who do not).

The other is to insert an implied "as" -- that is, "enter as friends," an invitation of hospitality. This, too, is a more poetic presentation; imagine if it were to be extended as "enter friends; leave enemies" and the meaning becomes clear.

m_d, Prince Charon and Cuchulin like this.
  29. Threadmarks: Medidiction (part 11)
    Mr Zoat

27th August 2012
    01:23 GMT

Lantern Toren stares at his ring, which stubbornly remains active.

"I don't think this is going to work for me."

"Not now, no. It requires a very particular mindset, and this wasn't how I wanted to teach you all anyway."

Xor -who actually paid attention to what I was saying and only briefly participated in this diversion to show willing- nods.

"Would we have to survive bonding with the Ophidian?"

"I don't know, but I don't think so. Lantern Xor, have you ever lost control under the influence of the orange light?"

He thinks for a moment.

"No."

"Well, there you go. It's a very specific mental state to be in. Just staring-. Lantern Dul, stop, please."

Onik has managed to keep his environmental shield down to a minimal level, which I'm pleased to see as it means that he, A, gets the idea and, B, has engaged in sufficient reflection that he has a rough idea how it might be done. Dul on the other hand is at the centre of an orange bonfire and I'm starting to get a little concerned.

"Why won't it turn off!"

"Because you're being excessively direct. Rather than just wanting at it, consider… Pride. Focus on how much you want the intrapsychic reward that you would receive by achieving this objective, on how much you want to impress your political overseers with your skill."

She takes a deep breath and her environmental shield shrinks a little.

"That worked for you?"

"It worked for us."

There's a peculiar echo as we taste the desires of those around us. This place worships the Green Men. It makes them taste strange. We don't like it.

Onik smiles weakly. "Could you demonstrate it for us?"

I shrug and sit down cross-legged on the library floor.

"I originally did this on my homeworld's moon. My homeworld's moon doesn't have a breathable atmosphere. This-"

I raise my left hand, fingers pointed downwards.

"-is a far more benign environment."

The ring drops from my finger to the floor.

"If any of you were empathic you'd feel a curious lassitude in my thoughts. My desires are there, but they're partially disconnected. But it's not-"

My ring jumps back up onto my finger.

"-a particularly pleasant way to exist. Especially if you're used to having an orange ring."

Lantern Toren nods, clearly intently interested. "An admirable self-mastery."

"I'd say it's not about mastery, but about learning to direct the flow." I shrug and shake my head. "But we've been distracted from the point. Lantern Dul, please-."

"That is all?"

Xor looks bemused.

"That is all."

Xor raises up his left hand, frowning as he looks at his ring.

"That would make me a better Lantern?"

"That is part of how I became such a powerful Lantern. 'Better' is far more subjective."

"I… Think…"

His environmental shield blinks out for a moment, then he starts and it reappears.

"Oh."

Lantern Onik stares at him. "How did..?"

"In the Warhounds, we have it beaten into us that personal desires are wrong. That selfishness of any sort is a betrayal of our comrades and our people." He exhales through his nose. "That any desires of our own were a betrayal. I wanted to be a better Warhound. I wanted it-." Another exhalation. "I wanted it so much."

His eyes narrow.

"I no longer want it."

"I'm impressed. Good work, Lantern Xor."

He breathes in and then out. Then he turns away and walks towards the exit.

I nod as he goes. That sounded like a fairly big deal for him, and since he's ahead there's no problem with him taking a few minutes to collect his thoughts.

"Did that give anyone else any ideas, or can we go back to what I was trying to teach you?"

Lantern Dul glances at Xor as he lets the library door close behind him, then stares at me.

"That's it?"

"Lantern Xor's been doing a lot of thinking. I was teaching him my philosophy while he was under arrest on Earth. And he's had a life that lends itself to this."

"No struggle?"

"The struggle is internal; the Lantern is forced to feel or think things they would rather not. You heard what Lantern Xor said about your loyalty; he didn't like it because he used to feel that way about the Alignment. And now -with all the zeal of the convert- he doesn't."

Her face goes slightly blank and she's not quite meeting my eyes.

"Can you think of a time in your life when you genuinely wanted to not want something that you wanted?"

"That-."

She bites down her initial response.

"I will not share that."

"Okay. But you're going to need to revisit it in the privacy of your own head if you want to overcome this. You're going to need to accept your feelings and decide how you want to feel."

"I… Will do so."

"Glad to hear it. Now then Lantern Toren… Let's talk about fear."

Last edited: Jul 5, 2021
  30. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

I think I know what this emotional state feels like and I don't like it.

It is not quite depression, I think, but it is very, very unpleasant.