1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. mastermenthe

mastermenthe Mint Thistle

Age is literally just cancer. All possible types of cancers, killing your body in a war of attrition, losing every single battle, but only needing to win once to win the war, meanwhile the body's resource mechanisms lose redundancy after redundancy.

2. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

What the hey! That's an odd time to update, and I should probably have looked in earlier. Damn 'Champions Online' event grind...
    On the upside, your current arrangements allow for a matter of uncertainty involving the likelihood of you staying dead. Besides the obvious 'fresh cloned body to transfer to', there's the whole Greek Underworld thing, which sufficiently powerful or blessed heroes can just walk out of...

Dangit, OL, flashing your tattoos to people again. I guess it has been a while since you showed them off, though. And to clear any confusion for the American readers, he's talking about his underpants there.

As the Reach laments, he's made himself very hard to kill. Or rather, very hard to keep dead.

Heh, Green Lanterns do get the short end of the stick on that front, don't they? And at this point... Regaining a ring should be a lot easier than ever before. At least until he reaches the point where he doesn't need one at all.

That is an interesting way to look at it. Certainly, if you're capable of respawning into a fresh, undamaged body, at what point does repairing the old become counter-productive?

So he doesn't even need 'Wholeness Rightfully Assumed' anymore, because he's turned it into a persistent effect. Well, except for the times he takes more damage than the passive heals at a time..

At this point, there are no veteran orange Lanterns besides OL. And Larfleeze, but he likely doesn't want anything to do with the Orange Light if he can help it.

Hey, now! You do not talk about a Thanagarian's wings like that, OL...

You're damn lucky she didn't start shooting at you.

Presumably she keeps the scars as reminders of how she suffered those injuries, whether as a failure or a justified success.

Never mind the physical injury involved. Those things must have a lot of blood flow. Even with the ring healing the wound, that would also throw off all her proprioception. Imagine losing a large chunk of body mass, outside your centerline, and see how hard it is to stay upright as you compensate for a weight that's not there anymore.

So much for 'does not fear...'. And that fear would get you killed, Dul.

It might cause a bit of a mess in the library, which you're all still standing in, unless I missed a change of location...

'Oh, thank the heights, he's not actually going to do it....'

...No. How is that what you take away from this demonstration? Seriously, Dul, it's like you're trying to grab the wrong end of every stick.

...To test their ability to heal themself, or to remove a weakness? In either case, that ain't healthy.

Because Ragnar's sort of settled in as the drill instructor of the Corps, hasn't he? You'd hope he could teach the rookies to heal themselves without any kind of painful display...

And they're pretty big targets. A much larger surface area in the front or back arcs than their bodies, honestly. Surprised there aren't more wing injuries, or is this why they favour melee combat? Less chance of missed shots crippling someone?

That would be awkward, unless the prosthetic were precisely matched to the original in terms of weight and aerodynamics...

Ah... That honestly makes it worse... At least people missing a leg don't need to get the other removed to get replacements.

What's really impressive is that those three-thousand-year-old wings are still intact, instead of having rotted away long ago. I would assume the Nth Metal is doing something to preserve them, since even the best-preserved corpses - Egyptian mummies - from that era look pretty bad.

Ah... You're afraid of being lessened, Dul. Being reduced to something inferior to what you were, in your eyes. If she can internalise the desire to preserve that, she'll be a lot stronger.

I hope Dul thinks hard on this revelation. And especially hope that she doesn't do something drastic to correct it...

Well, looks like she needs some alone time too. Boy, if OL meant to break them down like that in order to build them back up stronger, then he's doing well... If he didn't, well...

...Did you seriously just make Onik doubt whether even being an Orange Lantern is what he really wants? Good grief.

I am getting the feeling Graf Toren is now regretting his decision to take part in this little exercise. I mean, OL's three for three in making his students suffer horrifying personal revelations... Let's at least hope they can find themselves becoming stronger for it. Or this will have been something of a wasted trip.
    (o_O Also seconding the curiosity at the early post, Mr Zoat. Not going to be home and awake at your usual posting time?)

Last edited: Jul 6, 2021
  3. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

After watching Rick and Morty I can't help but imagine all of the clones trying to kill each other.

He's very slow at learning things.

Paul isn't all that good at picking up social cues

Paul is like that guy women sleep with and then regret it for the rest of their life, at least when it comes to some of his teaching methods.

4. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    House-sitting for parents. I don't really get enough time in the morning to do a normal update.

5. SaltyWaffles

SaltyWaffles I trust you know where the happy button is?

You misunderstand. FTL is inherently harder than stopping or reversing aging.

It makes him more self-aware, and it makes him more aware of the emotions of others.

6. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Yes, it has made him self aware of his desires and the emotions of others, but it still hasn't increased his intelligence or given him exact knowledge on how he should respond to others emotions or how he should respond in certain situations.

ChestBurster and Ardy like this.
  7. Grek

Grek (she/her)

FTL is also the sort of technology that can be transferred from species to species without alteration. Medicine, less so.

boo600, ChestBurster, Vorian and 2 others like this.
  8. SaltyWaffles

SaltyWaffles I trust you know where the happy button is?

The technology, sure. The infrastructure and industry? No. Sure, you can buy an FTL ship from another civilization, but that does not give you the infrastructure, industry, expertise, etc, to make them yourself or even maintain the one you have.

And while the medicine would obviously differ to some degree for other races, the knowledge that clinical immortality is entirely possible would not.

9. Dakkan Sall

Dakkan Sall Random Encounter

Which is why
    Paul: "Yeah... I'm going to need a bit longer to work on a proper motivational lesson for that. But, uh, good on you for realizing it? Next. Please."

10. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

11. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Mr Zoat, some corrections from the latest:
    Too many lines there.
    ...but you allowed your fear of losing your wings...
    Have you been worried about losing your wings before now?

12. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

So... The same problem Paragon himself has... Well... That's certainly not going to be an easy fix...

13. Senevri

Senevri Not too sore, are you?

Not quite. Cellular senescence can be seen as a defense mechanism against cancer, but the parts associated with aging which involve various plaque build-ups in your tissues, aren't. Cells dividing into wrong types isn't exactly cancer either, although it's related.

14. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

Yeah, the extra line had me reflexively searching for invisitext.

15. Silverias

Silverias Know what you're doing yet?

I -still- think Siskin is still alive. He was an elemental, having his shell destroyed shouldn't have killed him, and I doubt Fate had the time to properly annihilate him considering the circumstances.

Prince Charon likes this.
  16. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Since we're talking about biological immortality (damnable flesh prisons) at the moment, I feel it would be pertinent to mention that there is at least one species on Earth, a jellyfish, that has actually evolved something that functions close enough that the difference is a moot point.

But, while I agree that the interstellar civilizations that can create matter and energy out of effectively nothing not all being immortal, augmented super-people is stupid, sci-fi writers also totally fail in most cases to understand both the scale (a fully industrialized Sol would house tens of quadrillions and be able to output the entirety of The Imperial Navy, Star Wars or 40k, in a single day for example) and implications of the technology of their universes, so the fact that the comic book sci-fi civs don't do any of the stuff we totally can under currently known science isn't much of a surprise.

Gotta' have that easy conflict on hand for your stories about Righteous Face Punching after all.

Edit:Spelling.

17. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Nabu was an extremely powerful and experienced magic user, so he may have honestly completely destroyed Siskin in such a short time.

I think it was mentioned that they couldn't find a trace of him, so that could confirm that he's permanently dead.

ChestBurster and Bud-E like this.
  18. AidanMorgan

AidanMorgan Essentially Overworked

Did anyone else feel like this just got incredibly heavy out of nowhere?

ChestBurster and Assblaster5000 like this.
  19. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

I give one more chapter until something explodes and Paul has to deal with some eldritch abomination or other while talking about feelings.

ChestBurster likes this.
  20. skyprinny

skyprinny Not too sore, are you?

Sometimes I manage to forget that the mild mannered British man is just absolutely fucking covered in tattoos,

boo600, Cuchulin, Chefscobar and 2 others like this.
  21. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Mr Zoat, I was rereading Episode 107: Back Door and it got me wondering. Has Inviolate!Lex left the Renegade's universe yet, or is he still around?

ChestBurster and Bud-E like this.
  22. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    I wish I'd thought of that.
    He's still around. He's taking advantage of the relative calm to do some upgrades.

23. Michael Vonica

Michael Vonica Know what you're doing yet?

What I personally think is that Nabu didn't have the time to completely destroy Siskin, so he just ripped his soul/elemental body to shreds, like what happened to Paul's soul. The remaining pieces then flowed back to the plain of fear, as that seems to be the thing foreign energies do when they lose their connection to the material world. It was also implied by Sephtian while they were testing Siskin's golem body that there was still quite a lot of power left after Nabu originally tried to kill the terror thing. This makes it more unlikely that a single move from Nabu could completely destroy Siskin.

What I consider to be a quite good outcome is that some of Siskin's pieces remained semi sentient. They could then go around and piece themselves back together from whatever else remains, just like Paul did with his soul. Siskin would likely lose a lot of the humanity he had left, especially if he had to get used to living on the plain of fear. If his consciousness did remain, he could prove to be quite the formidable elemental, as he already has experience with attaching himself to foreign fear sources, and he won't struggle as much with motivation, focus, and logic like other elementals seem to do. I also think that Parallax is currently being held in the green central power battery, so the central entity of the plain of fear won't even be present.

DrThoth likes this.
  24. Threadmarks: Medidiction (part 13)
    Mr Zoat

27th August 2012
    08:32 GMT

I hold up the lumpy purple fruit.

It looks edible, scans say that I can digest it and it smells faintly of custard. I slice it in half with a construct knife… Yes, odd fig-like interior but…

Ah. I send construct peelers to remove the skin and then pick-

"Customarily, those are eaten-"

The abbot sits down opposite me at the canteen table, a bowl of muesli in front of him.

"-with the skin intact."

"I have a bit of a thing about textures."

I cut off a small piece of the fruit's flesh and put it into my mouth. It tastes… Well, that's not custard. Maybe more… Floral? It puts me a little in mind of a potato, only… Not, obviously.

"Seems edible enough."

"I assume that you scanned it?"

"Naturally, but the fact that I can digest it doesn't necessarily indicate that I want to. I mean-"

I take an apple out of subspace and put it down next to his bowl.

"-do you know what this-?"

"Apple." He picks it up in his right hand and bites into it. He chews, smiling slightly as he tastes it. "A little sweeter than I was expecting, but I imagine that your species have developed multiple commercial varieties by now."

I frown. "Okay, I know that we don't export fruit… Or anything, so how do you know about 'apples'?"

"The records of Green Lanterns of Sector Two Eight One Four. A few of them took the time to describe the societies they encountered when they visited your homeworld."

He takes another bite and chews it slowly. I do the same, focusing on my own fruit. With my power ring abilities being what they are I don't strictly need to eat. Regularly, anyway; the desire to ingest is so built in to the human psyche that it wouldn't be a good idea to stop eating completely even if I could. But there's no real link between my health and my diet. I could just eat chocolate for every meal if I wanted. Or that ridiculously sugar-rich cereal with the 'marshmallows' that Wallace eats despite not needing to any more. But instead I mostly eat a normal diet. It's a good habit in case I'm forced to go without a ring for an extended period or eat in company.

"Are you making progress?"

"Yes, though that's about all that I can say. Xor managed to turn off his ring yesterday, and Dul is a little more engaged with the program."

"And Lantern Toren?"

"It's a rather different way of thinking, and Green Lanterns aren't selected for their adaptability. The Guardians actually have Guy Gardner going through their list of abilities that former Green Lanterns developed to see if he can replicate them."

"I don't believe that I've heard of him."

"Really? Guy Gardner, Host of Ion? I thought-"

The abbot freezes in shock.

"-that would be bigger news."

"He is.. merged with Ion constantly?"

"No, but he's pulled it off at least twice. The first time wasn't deliberate; he was just focusing really hard and had a breakthrough. The second time was. I'm not sure what not having Ion in the Green Central Power Battery actually does to it, but Guy's only using it sparingly."

I frown.

"I think he converted to Lanternism, actually. I'm a little surprised that he hasn't visited."

"We will be happy to receive him if he appears." He loads his spoon with muesli. "Your quarters were sufficient?"

The quarters we were offered were Spartan and possessing of a Green Lantern theme. Perfectly adequate and free of distractions. Naturally, I redecorated, changing the theme from green to orange.

"Yes, thank you. I assume that we're not besieged by the curious masses?"

"There has been some interest. Fortunately, the people of Karax respect our work enough that they have merely been messages of curiosity and enthusiasm rather than anything too intrusive. What are your plans for today?"

"I want to do more work on instinctive emotional responses. We touched on fear yesterday, but really we need to do all of them."

"Yes, you mentioned that you encountered a yellow power ring user other than Sinestro." He frowns. "I thought that he was the only one."

"Parallel universes. Al Scott lives on a parallel universe version of Earth. If I had to guess, his ring was an early prototype Kalmin-"

The abbot's eyes dart to stare directly into mine at the mention of his name.

"-made before he could complete his masterpiece for Sinestro. Or… Parallel universe. Maybe they have their own Kalmin, or their own Krona, or perhaps all of their Guardian-equivalents are evil. I don't know. And… He wasn't the only yellow ring user I encountered. The other one was a parallel universe version of me."

"If there are so many other rings, why don't Green Lantern Corps records mention them?"

"The Green Lantern Corps is a paramilitary police organisation. They're not explorers or scientists. Going to parallel universes on a jolly isn't really their job."

"Did you learn anything about how they used their rings? Anything that might give us some clue about how Sinestro uses his?"

"I didn't see Al Scott fight. And frankly I didn't enjoy his company enough to want to-."

"You didn't-" The abbot frowns. "-fight him?"

"No, that whole situation was a mess. I mostly-. Here." I generate a datapad with my full report on it and slide it across the table. "In summary, I had a choice between a devastating war which would probably eventually be pyrrhically 'won' by the 'good' guys, who weren't particularly good, or arranging for a mutual de-escalation that allowed some of the bad guys to temporarily escape justice but caused the least collateral damage. I didn't spend time socialising or training with him."

"I see. And the other?"

"He'd achieved enlightenment by constantly reflecting on his fears and forcing himself to feel them. Accepting them as part of his psyche. He did that because he didn't have a personal lantern and had to come up with an alternate way to recharge."

"Is it possible to recharge a power ring through meditation? There's no mention of that in our archives either."

"Not without access to certain types of arcane artefacts. It's like the difference between plugging a battery into a recharging station and building a wind turbine and a transformer." I shrug. "But yes, it's possible."

"Fascinating. Tell me more."

Last edited: Jul 7, 2021
  25. Artemisnemo

Artemisnemo Getting sticky.

So Sinestro replaced the Abbott, huh didn't see that coming.

26. Massgamer

Massgamer I trust you know where the happy button is?

Lots of fun ways to charge a ring so long as the emotion involved is nearby, or you are Orange and can convert near anything into orange light.

boo600, Cuchulin, Silveraith and 6 others like this.
  27. AngelicKnight.

AngelicKnight. Lewd demon of negotiable affection

Did I miss a thing?

28. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

Glad I'm not the only one who had that as a first thought. I can understand why the Illustres is not suspicious, supposedly this is a secure planet and so his guard is down and besides not actively using his empath abilities the "abbot" has a green core protecting his feelings and thoughts. But still, that guy is suspicious as fuck right now! What with the questions and his reactions!

29. AngelicKnight.

AngelicKnight. Lewd demon of negotiable affection

He did know what an apple was.

30. Finagle007

Finagle007 [Verified Great Old One]

And the reaction to Kalmin's name. Nobody outside the Green or Orange Lanterns should know that name, counting the Guardians and Controllers. Except Alan and some others on Earth, the only other person who would know Kalmin's name is Sinestro.