1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. AngelicKnight.

AngelicKnight. Lewd demon of negotiable affection

Huh....

Good point.

Well good for him. Clearly he's just retired to a peaceful monastery for the rest of his life. No scheme or ulterior motives there.

2. Silverias

Silverias Know what you're doing yet?

Considering that we noticed all this, I'm pretty sure it means that OL would recognize the signs too, since it's from his perspective.

3. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

Have we been reading the same story?

4. AngelicKnight.

AngelicKnight. Lewd demon of negotiable affection

There was the incident early on with the bikers?

5. FreeGod

FreeGod If you see a God on the road fuck it!

Remember that OL is living though his whole life. He doesn't have the advantage of only seeing the important bits and therefore get clues about what is important. When he sees a friend coughing he doesn't know that must be plot relevant.

6. Silverias

Silverias Know what you're doing yet?

That does the opposite of supporting my remark, but considering his competence AFTER that whole...incident, I think OL would notice SOMETHING is up.

7. lefthandturnsignal

lefthandturnsignal Making the rounds.

I was kinda thinking some other oddball villain than sinestro, but I suppose it makes some amount of sense. Especially with the religious disruption going on with the planet.

8. Michael Vonica

Michael Vonica Know what you're doing yet?

To be honest, I never considered that the abbot was anything more than he first appeared to be, but now that I've heard the argument, it makes sense. As for how this could go, I see two ways. First, Paul could see through it all and catch whatever the abbot is planning early. From a character perspective, all this would do is show us that Paul has become more competent, and we've already seen plenty of that. We would also get some interesting plot and fights out of this.

The other option is that Paul is blinded by his own desire to impart his knowledge to others. The abbot then uses this knowledge to do something that hurts many people, and Paul has to clean up his own mess. Paul is then left to contemplate whether or not his current path of being so open about what he knows is right, and to deal with the fear that he may be causing more harm than good, something that he has dealt with before.

9. Dur'id the Druid

Dur'id the Druid Know what you're doing yet?

Or a third option, Paul's teaching gets Sin-stro thinking differently, and doing something like learning how to be both a yellow and green lantern.

10. Michael Vonica

Michael Vonica Know what you're doing yet?

That's the true ending. I checked the strategy guide, and Paul needs a charisma score of 35 or more to get that option.

11. Finagle007

Finagle007 [Verified Great Old One]

He didn't notice anything was up with the Spider Queen's "spiracles"... Or, less comedically, with Zatanna.

12. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Welp. Guess that's a couple hours of time spent binging.

Apparently the correct spelling is "pyrrhicly". This looks weird to me and I would have guessed "pyrrhically".

13. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Oh, boy. That MMO grind still making me miss updates, even after it's lessened.
    Ah, the sweet reminder of differences in ecology. Wonder if this is a staple, or some luxury treat the monastery got in for their guests? At least there's no worry of poison or anything like that. Not with a power ring.

Dinner with their host? Or judging by the content, breakfast? I'm surprised the ring hasn't pinged local time.

I know that feel. Some things just feel wrong, whether a paper straw on the lips, or an unfamiliar snack on the tongue...

Well, taste is whatever you ultimately want it to be. I can appreciate the desire to experience new things.

After all, who know what effect it'll have on your digestive system. I remember in GRRL Power, where the spice-loving main character eats a bowl of super-spicy alien food, and it comes out hotter than it went in. And glowed.

Come now, OL. Do you really think the abbot of a space monastery on an alien world would...

:eek: ... Abbot SUS.Seriously, how did he...

o_O ...Plausible. But I'm watching you, buster.

Does that mean Wally fixed his dietary issues at some point? That should have warranted some comment before now... Or is he just being childish? ...I mean, I still prefer Rice Bubbles to most other cereals... :oops: What, they're tasty.

'Engaged' is one way to put it. No comment about Onik, or did he expect the abbot to simply assume 'oh, he's doing well.'

I wonder how many Guy's succeeding at, too. I bet their next sparring session will be a lot more lively.

To a Lanternist, that would basically be the equivalent of becoming a divine Prophet or messiah figure... To someone else, it would be well... Bad news.

"Because if so, that's going to have so many knock-on effects amongst my faith..."

To be fair, his previous faith left a lot to be desired after the Silver City practically blockaded Earth in pursuit of OL...

Because of course you would. I hope you plan to change it back when you leave?

Well, that's surprisingly respectful. Any Earth culture in this situation would have paparazzi hanging from the treetops trying to get pictures and religious zealots banging on the doors, whether to insist on greeting them or to condemn them for heresy... :confused: Man, humans suck.

Oddly specific question... OL's met more than one, though. Indeed, he's met many different colours, mostly himself. :V

...I repeat, Abbot SUS. And I can't imagine OL missed that, either. Whether he has his own suspicions as to its meaning, we won't know unless it pops up in his thoughts.

Because the Guardians hate the idea of anyone knowing about other Lights? I'm honestly amazed Sinestro ever found out about the yellow, to some degree. Probably because of the Weaponers.

...Looking for some hints? If the thread guesses are right, you should know quite well how Sinestro uses his ring... ;)

Given the Capo had decades of experience, and plenty of opportunities to keep his hand in compared to Alan-16? That would be a bad idea.

Yeah, not a lot of good options on that little trip. Sometimes, you just can't win in a heroic way.

That's Lord Protector Paul, or Yaul, as some of us took to calling him. Stuck in the Thundercats-remake universe of Third Earth, with only a mystical Sword of fear-magic to charge from. Needs must. I bet OL's been honestly impressed at some of the options his alternates took.

Because one of the bottlenecks of a Yellow Lantern Corps' production line would be rings and personal lanterns.

Well, if the suspicions are true, this puts the whole visit in an interesting new light. If not, then the abbot is clearly very interested in learning about the foes of the Corps for the sake of his future students. Either way, he's getting to learn a lot. Let's hope OL isn't fooled either way.

Corrections, Mr Zoat!
    ...and put it into my mouth.
    But there's no real link between my health and my diet.
    Seconding Coda's correction for this, it just don't look right.

14. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

In addition to the examples mentioned above (Spider Queen and Zatanna, though with Zatanna I think it was more just conscious ignorance and avoidance), you have the incredibly cunning plan that Olympia (Crime Syndicate Wonder Woman) used to manipulate Paragon into being transported into the parallel universe, which was "show up looking like Wonder Woman and order him to do it in a way that didn't seem quite right according to her personality- this in a world where shapeshifting and mind control are possibilities and the latter actually did happen to WW". There's also the incident with that guy with the villainous version of the Hero Dial, who was just casually brushing the dust off and putting it on in another room while Paragon was being the polite Britisher and just waiting at the desk or something.
    His situational awareness and competence kind of vary depending on the plot (and/or how funny it is).

I don't necessarily believe that the abbot here is Sinestro, though there are some interesting/convincing points being made that he is, but 'Paragon would have spotted it' isn't the best refutation of that idea sadly.

15. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I bet, seeing as he's probably an equivalent to a saint.

I think Zoat once mentioned that the Guardians there went crazy and Krona killed them to protect the universe before he killed himself since he didn't trust himself with that kind of power.

Thet may also not want to deal with multiple universes.

I remember in Assimilation Stewart said they didn't want to try dealing with multiple universe, so it may be the difficult to send the SI back to his universe.

Yeah, Paul can be incredibly dense at times.

Ahh, the gun incident.

Or he may be working for him.

16. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I think Zoat once mentioned that he developed a potion that he drinks to stop him from needing to eat so much.

If they're a bad guy.

If they were a good guy then that means they now have a more powerful ally.

Yes, yes we do.

He was a high ranking member of the Corps, so he may have had access to sensitive info.

Unless Paul went the Ophidian route.

He now does have a Lantern equivalent.

Though some may be somewhat disappointing.

I think he was a bit conflicted with Sybarite.

17. King of Frost

King of Frost Wishing I was somewhere colder no doubt.

He knew Zatanna was in love with him, he could see the violet light.

ChestBurster and Prince Charon like this.
  18. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Not to shoot this down...

But I am pretty sure Paragon's ring would notice if the abbot was Sinestro.

Senevri and Cuchulin like this.
  19. Radiant Knight

Radiant Knight Phoenix Fire

On the one hand, yes. On the other, the arc title is Malediction.

Cuchulin likes this.
  20. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

While the arguments are convincing that the abbot may not be what he seems, their are some other things that come to mind with this line of thinking.

Comic Book Sinestro kept an eye on his home world, and his daughter, despite the best efforts to keep him away. He snuck in just fine, past sensors and other GL's any time he wanted to. And he marked his daughter with a locator so he could always find her again.

Comic Book Sinestro, after creating the yellow lantern corps, stated he never really wanted it. He just wanted it to force the Guardians to take the kid gloves off the Green Lantern Corps, and allow for lethal force to be used. Once the war with the corps was over and he was 'vindicated' by the policy change, he was happy that he accomplished his mission. The corps itself was only the means to that end. At that time at least, the follow up war of light, and his brief return to the GLC was not likely planned.

Now, in WTR, Sinestro knows that the Orange Lantern Corps exists from his conversation with Vril Dox. It's Possible, though not confirmed, that he knows his daughter is a member due to his comic book version keeping tabs on her. He's been quiet in the galaxy of late for several earth years, since he and Hal last fought.

If anyone knew ways around a Lantern Scan, it'd be the former First Lantern. And the current location is a pretty good place for someone with Sinestro's *Academic* background to study the GL from a safe distance, as well as the Spectrum itself.

Now all that being said, there are other emotional factions running around that could be invested in keeping an eye on the place...the Zamzaons and whom ever is running the compassion corps, Zamazons might know the name of a weaponeer, but other factions don't have Mathusian's behind them as far as we know.

If it is Sinestro, and he's picking OL's brains on methods to make Lantern's to start his own corps...could be risky. But, if it's a Lantern Corps that is free to kill and mind control, not restrained by Guardian Morals, maybe he'd just decide to Join the OLC instead (he doesn't know the weaponeer's a member..unless that's in Paul's book somewhere).

If it's someone else.......say ...Atrositus with some blood magic shape shifting or something, and looking to start a Red Lantern corps....things could be VERY interesting.

21. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

It would be interesting to see some character development for Sinestro.

ChestBurster likes this.
  22. w34v3r

w34v3r Versed in the lewd.

You know earth does technically export one thing.

Lanterns.

Senevri, BookZone, Aelyx and 8 others like this.
  23. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I think Zoat mentioned Atrocitus would get free at Year 6.

This could be Sinestro trying to corrupt a recruitment center for Green Lanterns, or he may be trying to get his own agents in the GLC.

There are some Satanistic religions that view Lucifer as being the good guy that tried to bring knowledge and enlightenment to humanity, so there may be some Karaxians that think Sinestro was trying to bring order to a chaotic situation and was justified in his actions, so they will follow him.

The abbot may either be Sinestro in disguise, and he can hide his emotions due to having a great mastery over his emotions, or it could be that the abbot is working for Sinestro and due to his own emotional mastery he's also able to hide his emotional state.

Paul also may not have looked all that hard since nothing really seemed suspicious.

Now I'm wondering if Oniks reaction was due to him potentially figuring out that something like this is happening.

24. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

Really? I kinda see obliviousness as one of OL's defining characteristics. Sure, he's got a bit better at reading others, but I don't think he's got a clue about Sinestro right now.

Senevri, Vorian and w34v3r like this.
  25. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

I knew it wasn't right, but I couldn't find the correct version so I just assumed that it wasn't common enough to have one. I think I'll go for the second spelling in the name of regularity.
    The healing potion?
    Not all culture flows immediately from biology.
    Thank you, corrected.
    How now is 'now'? Because the Worm bit hasn't happened yet in linear time.

26. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Hm. Assuming the Abbott is the Abbott his almost-none reaction to the news of an Ion Host would be weird af.

ChestBurster likes this.
  27. Frank Iannetta

Frank Iannetta Getting out there.

This is another example about how alien Paragon’s thought processes have become. He used to enjoy cooking and eating, and now he only eats to keep in practice. Interesting.

Prince Charon, Fellow and Ardy like this.
  28. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Technically, he enjoys the act of cooking. It's just that now he does it for others instead of himself primarily.

29. AverusBlack

AverusBlack AKA Aisling

Bruh is Zoat okay?

mastermenthe likes this.
  30. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

He said he was house sitting, so he probably just had a bunch of free time.

Or he's finally gone mad from writing the same story for around half a decade.

mastermenthe, Ardy and DrThoth like this.