1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I think there was a small omake with renegade teasing Bekka, but that was it.

He is Darkseids equal, so it makes sense that he could kill him.

2. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Or they may have the necessary resources and space, but still don't want to waste them on those they view as unproductive.

They may have had resource problems in the past and adopted such a mentality, and even if they solved the resource issue they may still cling on to the mentality because they view it as being correct.

Especially if they think they are helping someone.

Once read something that said that a person who is hurting you but thinks that they are helping you is far more dangerous than a person who is hurting you for his own pleasure.

It depends on what the alternative to death is.

For example if the alternative to an execution is spending time in a prison that can be compared to a concentration camp, then you may chose death rather than hell on Earth.

Politicians can be shortsighted pre wartime, during wartime and after wartime.

I think being shortsighted is a job requirement.

ChestBurster, Ardy, Vorian and 2 others like this.
  3. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

Where was this? I don't remember it at all.

DrThoth likes this.
  4. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

I tend to feel that putting another 'me' in Gods and Monsters goes against the point of the setting. Really, it should be someone else I know rather than me. Heck, my paternal grandfather was killed by truck-kun, so he's a prime candidate.

5. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I forgot where you said it, but I believe you once said your sister would be there instead of you.

6. Bud-E

Either you really like and respect your grandfather to put him in that world or he pinched your cheeks one too many times as a kid.

7. Mr Zoat

Oh, ah, neither really. He died before I was born. Before my parents even met, if I remember my timeline correctly.

8. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

At least in American English, "train" doesn't work properly in that phrasing the way "teach" would. To shorten the phrase to something grammatically equivalent to make the description easier, "train them a job" is interpreted as "train a job for them" (but how do you train a job to do anything?). My recommendation would be to write "train ... in what their job is".

9. Zig

Zig Not too sore, are you?

Isn't Yuga Khan still alive?

Cuchulin and Ardy like this.
  10. Mr Zoat

Thank you, modified.
    In Gods and Monsters? I don't think he was shown. So, maybe.

11. In search for story's

In search for story's Fool

Before I go and search the whole story again looking for a scene that just won’t get out of my head until I reread it.

Does any gentleman and or gentlewoman know in which part the whole split earth shenanigans happens.

Cuchulin likes this.
  12. Chatios

Chatios Getting some practice in, huh?

Displaced. Episode 19

13. Threadmarks: Medidiction (part 16)
    Mr Zoat

27th August 2012
    09:09 GMT

"Again!"

Lantern Toren fires construct shears at Lantern Dul's wings, and she responds by generating large construct wings and slapping his constructs aside with them. They don't shatter, but he isn't quite able to force them to hit home.

Lantern Xor and I watch impassively for a moment.

"Is this a good training method, or has she missed the point?"

"I lost my fear of heights by flying regularly. Even without my ring I don't really feel anything anymore."

"Again!"

"Of course, Lantern Toren doesn't want to cut her wings off, and she probably doesn't believe that he can-. I mean, doesn't know for certain that he can in the way she's certain that I could."

But while I could shoot out her defensive construct with a crumbler round or anti-construct ray, and while that might provide a better lesson than having her block attacks she knows that she can block, I'm not going to do that unless she specifically asks for it.

Xor watches them for a moment.

"You can see our souls."

"Something like that."

"You know our fears. You know why we fear things."

"I either know or could find out with relatively little effort, yes."

"Then why this?"

"Because I don't need to know. You need to know. You need to go through the necessary mental steps toward that realisation yourself. Me just telling you isn't the same thing. And in some people… Like Lantern Dul, there's resistance to being told about things like this by someone else."

"But not me."

"I don't think you'd fight against the ideas I present you. But I still think you'd have an easier time internalising them if you went through the steps-" My ring blinks. "-yourself. Illustres here?"

Lantern Onik's face appears.

"Great Master, in light of what we discussed I am visiting my former monastery. If possible, I would appreciate it if you could visit later today and speak with people."

"Certainly."

He smiles. "Thank you. I know that-."

His face vanishes.

"Lantern Onik?"

"Lantern Xor, follow me."

I

step out, the line representing Onik's desire to speak with me leading me directly to

his previous location, construct armour forming around me and absorbing a rocket barrage from.. that robot. Cheap and cheerful Spider Guild model, devastating to unprotected civilians and light infantry but-

I put a destructive pulse through its central processor and each of its targetters. Those things are usually set to blind fire their rockets if the signal from the CPU gets interrupted, but if I destroy the launch system-. Yes, dead.

"Lantern Onik, re-"

Plasma bolts punch through the wall to my left, slamming into my environmental shield! I form a construct shield and respond with destructive pulses.

"-port."

I'm getting good returns on my scans, though the robots aren't mentally complex enough for me to see with empathic vision. Spider Guilders tend to fight Lanterns using ships, legions of regular robots or small numbers of super-robots. There aren't enough here to stop me. The only thing that makes sense is that it's a terror raid.

I think I may need to have a word with some people. Starting with the local defence force.

Ring, analyse robot computer program.

Compliance.

The Guild isn't supposed to have Lantern-compatible interdiction systems, but I settle for flying through what's left of the wall and shoot dumb railgun rounds through the plasma repeater robot. As it falls I grab the overloading plasma bottle and-

And as we're under a dome on a dead planetoid I can't just throw it into space, darn.

-stick it in a safe construct as it explodes. No hole in the dome so they can't have punched through there. Tunnels, tunnels, there. Don't know how they got this close, but that's a problem for five minutes from now.

"Lantern Onik, report."

If he'd died then his ring should come to me, so I'm assuming that's not what's happened. I can see flares of desire and hope throughout the building but nothing that specifically looks like Onik.

Analysis complete.

I head for the closest path to the interior of the monastery, calling my heavy armour out of subspace and phasing through a wall. Two robots are holding position inside and this time I send filaments to burrow into their CPUs and rewrite them to answer to me. Records… They don’t even record the route they used to get here. They're just reacting to environmental cues. I disarm their if-destroyed directives and switch their targets to robots.

Simple programming. No one's watching and no one's feeding them instructions. They're shielded against electromagnetic radiation at levels that wouldn't fry organic creatures as easily as it would them. No easy way to destroy them.

Or rather, no easy way to destroy them all at once.

I send filaments ahead of me, having them latch onto any robots they find as I head for what looks like the monks' panic room.

"Orange Lantern Illustres to anyone listening. Report."

A swarm of vaguely spider-shaped minibots fall from the ceiling and land on my construct armour, trying to stab me with electrified leg-knives. They get nowhere in the few seconds I allow them to persist before subverting them and tossing them aside.

"Another Orange Lantern? Please, we're in our fastness but the robots will break through soon."

"Nearly there."

Down a corridor, down another, and there's the fortified retreat. And the heavy siege robots trying to blast their way through the force fields, and the dead defence turrets they targeted first.

Filaments go first, easily subverting the medium robots. Unfortunately, the siege robots have integrated force fields which means that I need to hit them with a crumbler construct-

And ignore the weak laser fire from their point defences.

-before breaking into their control centres and turning them to my purposes. There are still robots in the monastery and me destroying them will cause far less collateral damage than letting my robots do it, but finding out what happened to Onik takes priority.

"Do you know what happened to Lantern Onik?"

"I… I think the Yellow Lantern took him."

Wonderful.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2021
  14. Radiant Knight

Radiant Knight Phoenix Fire

Ah, speak of the devil.

15. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

punches -> punched

16. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Time for shenanigans.

So the Spiders may be back to finish what they started.

So we were right about Sinestro.

Cuchulin, Ardy, SaltyWaffles and 7 others like this.
  17. Mastigos2

Mastigos2 Versed in the lewd.

Now to add an unlikely potential complication: considering ongoing religious upheaval regarding Yellow Lanterns on this planet "the Yellow Lantern took him" could be a figure of speech.

Edit: Also I just realized that the social media account crashing could actually have been Sinestro isolating and spoofing OL

18. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

Now the fun part. Been looking forward to the OL-Sinestro confrontation.

ChestBurster, Cuchulin and Vorian like this.
  19. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Let's hope Batman finds out about this... Because he will make sure to continually deflate Paragon's massive ego with it...

Cuchulin likes this.
  20. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

A sensible attempt to train herself to defend a weak spot. But not really the best use of her time here, is it? No matter how much she internalises the desire to keep her wings safe, it won't be automatic unless she can do something amazing with her desires.

I rather fear she has, no matter how useful it might look.

Which is impressive. Falling is a primal fear for any creature limited to the ground. Admittedly, he's not saying it's completely gone, it just isn't very strong, eh?

And even then, it'd probably be better to talk her through things. After all, there are always accidents possible with any kind of training. A mistimed dodge or momentary flutter of fear that drops a shield and she'd be spending some time getting patched up.

It's a gross oversimplification of the mechanics of empathic vision or Ophidian's Eyes, and I have no doubt Desires are the clearest part. But basically yes.

Which makes me wonder about the capabilities of a Yellow Lantern... After all, what better way to focus their efforts to play upon your fears if they can see them?

Pride. The need for independence. Distrust. Hatred of the one speaking... There's any number of reasons for that sort of personality quirk.

Ah, the outside world calls, eh? Wonder if it's a local looking for an interview, or something happening back at the Front?

That's actually a sensible decision. Presumably Onik would like to introduce his Illustres to his old friends. See what they make of him. :D

:eek: ...Oh, that's not good.

Definitely not good. Time to break up the training session and haul ass.

Dangit, OL, Xor can't move that fast! On the other hand, he can grab Dul and Toren, get some backup on the way.

Oh, for... Because of course something's got to make trouble. And the Spider Guild groups aren't all as friendly as the Vegan branch.

That's two. Presumably.

Because I doubt the battle-bots are designed to take prisoners... But what would this gain them, besides the attention of the local Green lantern? ...Or is someone else trying to direct Toren's attention elsewhere?

Won't take too long, it's probably not all that complex.

Because of course it's got a self-destruct/fail-dangerous function. If it's amongst enemies strong enough to bring it down, why not try to take some with you?

Yeah, stomp mobs first, check leads later. Trying to interact with quest objects is always a pain under fire.

Looks like he made a quick exit. Or was taken by whoever left those bots.

Definitely a frame-up. Someone wants people scared...

And the other bots won't even think of the subverted ones as threats until they start shooting. But no-one in control? they're definitely a diversion.

Ah, the joy of content that isn't level-scaling, when you're monstrously overlevelled. Just casually walk through the combat encounters...

...And focus on the plotline details. At least there are survivors. Who knows how many got in the way of the bots...

No great threat. To a Lantern, anyway.

Not even a threat unless they were orange...

Presumably it wasn't good if he wasn't able to interfere with the bots...

Well, that leaves just one suspect... Unless the Yellow Corps has already gotten started.

Sinestro interrupt confirmed, then. Either the Korugaran himself or a follower. The question then becomes 'how did he take Onik down', and why? What could he want an Orange Lantern captive for? Did Onik go down fighting, or did he go willingly? With any luck, we'll be finding out soon. And finally get that long-awaited meeting between two master Lanterns.

21. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

22. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

The Renegade has already demonstrated this a few times, though I can't remember exactly when.

23. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

You'll see more of Yellow Lantern capabilities in the next few chapters.

Seeing as you mentioned Vegan, I'm now thinking about Twilight and "vegetarian" vampires.

I know you meant about the ones from Vega, but I just can't help but think of Twilight now.

Sinestro is an extremely skilled and experienced Lantern, so him taking down Onik, who's far less skilled and experienced, should be a piece of cake.

He may want a captive so OL will fight more seriously.

He is powered by fear, so he may prefer more brutal methods.

Seeing as he was cut off mid sentence I'm guessing Sinestro ambushed him.

24. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

When President Horne was kidnapped, he used it in Washington DC to locate him, I think, and found him with Paragon.

I would have expected yellow and/or blue speech from whoever Paragon was talking to, but I forget if colored speech happens when listening to communications from his ring.

25. Eponymic

Eponymic Getting sticky.

Setting my robots to it?
    Letting my robots do it?

Follow up, then/than same sentence?

26. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

What's Sinestro's plan here? He could have just escaped. A human shield with Onik and a dead man's switch attached to him to talk? With what outcome?

ChestBurster and Cuchulin like this.
  27. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

28. FourthPear

FourthPear Frequent Flier. Muted

Congrats, Sinestro, Paul wasn’t your enemy before. Now he is.

29. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

Fastness?

Otto von Saurion likes this.
  30. Bud-E

Wasn't Paul always going to do something about Sinestro? He needs his head to make a blue ring for Starfire and he knew he needed to stop him from making a corpse because Vril gave him the idea.

ChestBurster and Cuchulin like this.