1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Confident, but falsely so. I can tell she's concerned about what OL will do, whether she wins or loses. A pity dividing her focus here is going to bite her in the abdomen.

And a properly motivated Orange Lantern is a far more formidable opponent than a monk unsure of his own convictions.

A clever idea, to avoid the areas the shield was obviously protecting, but she forgot that Lanterns don't need to see something to target it.

Something unexpected, OL? Remember how devout in his faith Onik is. Of course he's going to use the image...

...Of his Corps' embodiment. If the Yellow Lantern knows anything about them, she should be worried. Certainly, it'd be clear if it were the real Best Snek, but even this might get her attention.

Impressive that Onik is so good at corrupting her constructs. Fuelled by a desire to take away her weapons and lay her low, perhaps? I bet she's got big old tethers to her ring, too. Sloppy, rookie.

Indeed. Her ring's trying to clutch at vapours to form constructs.Her own fears are not enough, it seems.

I expect OL would be more panicked if he felt the Ophidian actually manifesting... So this is all for show.

How appropriately priestly, chanting a mantra to focus his desires as his oath.

"You were so busy looking at the finger pointing at the moon that you overlooked all that heavenly glory." Excellent use of misdirection, Onik.

Yes, never underestimate the enemy. Especially when they're wounded and desperate.

I would not be surprised to find many of the Corps' personal oaths are positively lyrical in their own tongues.

Ah, her ring's had enough? Better snag it quick, OL. Spoils of war.

Not anytime soon, hopefully.

And as egotistical as he is, I don't doubt that his is the default voice option. Presumably this one was adjusted as part of whatever ploy Sinestro was working here.

And it'll be quite helpful to strengthen his focus against Spider Guilders. Having a permanent reminder that they're weak flesh and bone like anyone else. No need to be scared of that.

No mercy here, spider. I doubt you would have offered any when you were in the position of power either, would you?

Presumably its default method is rather easy to track.

Since he's sufficiently motivated to be quick, he shouldn't take long. Which do I mean, OL or Onik? Yes.

Heh, not letting her get away that easily by dying. Sensible.

It probably has some manner of concealment systems. Or, you know, simply take a wide berth around the fleets. Space is big, after all, and their sensor nets must have some manner of hole...

Finally, he considers it.

Reasonably well thought out. Logical given his knowledge. The interesting thing will be seeing just how wrong he is.

Let's hope they're in the mood for monologuing. Otherwise, OL might be in for a fight.

So, things are coming to a head. And it looks likely to me that Lanterns Dul and Toren may have been kept in the dark, or simply disabled, by whoever's responsible for this whole chain of events... Since neither of them have been seen since OL went after Onik. Hopefully we finally get that long-awaited meeting with Sinestro...

2. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Lantern Onik's oath is both badass and deeply spiritual.
    Fitting for a warrior monk.

3. AidanMorgan

AidanMorgan Essentially Overworked

Ender Wiggin lived to regret making this his policy. An entire sentient species did not.

4. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

Meh, with the retcons and the lies and such I don’t think we can say that’s accurate anymore.

Also, people have been communicating with the spider guide for centuries now, they’re assholes

5. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

That should be 'to'.

6. AidanMorgan

I maintain that there were three books and that's it.

Much like there is no A:TLA movie and no Eragon movie.

And it's not that I care about the spiders so much as I care about AO internalizing such thought patterns as "it's ok to burn the worlds of people who piss me off even when there are better ways to get what I want."

7. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I think it was explained that they were, as they were, irredeemable, making them valid targets in Paul's mind. Plus the benefit of removing a possible source of construct strength for the Guilder Lantern, which is partially why Onik was able to defeat her.

ChestBurster likes this.
  8. AidanMorgan

They, in the specific, don't matter as much as the fact that this is a thing that has been done a total of three times now.

That's... not good. It's really really not good. It's "Orangest Night" levels of not good because that's what this course of action as applied to Earth would look like.

9. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Except... You know... He's spent multiple prior chapters pointing out the Spider Guild is not in fact irredeemable via the faction in Vega...

10. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I was referring to that specific chapter of the Spider Guild, not the Spider Guild as a whole.

mastermenthe, Ardy and ChestBurster like this.
  11. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Honestly it's kind of a surprise the Guardians haven't decided to science cell Paragon given how planet killing happy he is...

The Spider Guild's not a hive mind, so yea... He killed billions of potential innocents there...

Otto von Saurion and Cuchulin like this.
  12. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Considering all the power he personally has, plus the protection that comes with being connected to the Controllers, it really isn't a surprise. If they see a valid reason for doing so and a good opportunity, they may go for it. Otherwise, they'd rather keep things civil with the Illustres of the OLC.

Otto von Saurion and Cuchulin like this.
  13. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

The Controllers wouldn't care if Paragon got Science Celled, they already got what they wanted from him.

Actually... Most of the Controllers would probably be on board with the Guardian's Science Celling Paragon because then they would have even more Control of the Orange Light...

Cuchulin likes this.
  14. AidanMorgan

See, you've got me agreeing with Vaermina, that's something I never thought would actually happen. Now someone has to go thaw out Hell.

15. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

16. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Well there is also yellow rings that work from your own fear or by defeating GLs.... but the later is more common since it was the default for like two decades I think?

Prince Charon, Cuchulin and Doccer like this.
  17. Mr Zoat

I think defeating GLs was just Guy Gardner, briefly. I know Sinestro was shown recharging with a yellow personal lantern at least once before that.

18. Dakkan Sall

Dakkan Sall Random Encounter

Mm... she doesn't seem quite in the right frame of mind to try and boost her available fear that way, and she was speaking to Paul (or just to the universe in general) rather than directly accusing Onik to make him doubt himself. She also doesn't strike me as quite that... advanced in method, going more for the "I'm a scary spider-alien who eats people. Raah!"

Technically, he could be considered an apostate since Karax worship Green Lanterns, but there's been no real indication that they consider Orange Lanterns to be 'evil'/'opposing' like Yellow. Though admittedly we've only seen the monastery and Toren interacting/reacting with the Oranges to any degree, rather than the common populace (other than Paul's SpaceTwitter account making the servers crash due to the traffic).

19. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

And if you were any good you'd use their fear of him to strengthen yourself.

20. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Actually, Siniestro did recharge his ring by defeating GLs in the Superman Animated series. So think of it as a function of Siniestro first ring as he specifically requested it to defeat GLs.

Prince Charon, Cuchulin and Doccer like this.
  21. Mr Zoat

No, he did that in Static Shock so that he could make green constructs specifically. I'm fairly confident that he wasn't shown recharging in Superman Animated.

22. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Why would they want to take one of their most valuable war assets off the field for any reason, especially since he's seemingly the only person that can teach others to become just as valuable?

And what would giving him over to The Guardians accomplish that they couldn't manage themselves even if most of them, as you say, want him put in a Science Cell?

Edit:Actually, most of The Controllers aren't even connected to Best Snek and Her magic OJ, so it wouldn't increase their control of the light all that much, and might actually make it worse since She would be angry that they took Her Agent away.

And it's not like The Controllers aren't used to extreme measures, you're the one that pointed out that they separated from The Guardians because they wanted to keep using The Manhunters and Sun Eaters.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2021
  23. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

they would kill the protagonist, thus making Vaermina happy that he is no longer forced to read this fic every single day for almost a decade across three sites

24. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Paul is also connected to the Ophidian on a level that is only rivaled by Rick's spirit sex connection to that dragon, so if Paul is taken out of the picture then the Ophidian may become royally pissed off and refuse to cooperate, thus costing the Controllers their most powerful weapon.

And even if they somehow do still have access to the light it may not be as powerful or easy to control due to the Ophidian fighting against them.

Also the Guardians may be able to discover things about the Orange Light that they were unaware of previously and I don't think the Controllers would be all that happy with that.

Ngamer11 and ChestBurster like this.
  25. Zig

Zig Not too sore, are you?

Is that normal? Cuz all the oaths we see in the comics have translations into English keep the rhyme scheme.

RamiroGalletti likes this.
  26. mastermenthe

mastermenthe Mint Thistle

It is fairly obvious that Onik is accidentally abusing the "worship as a desired transaction" psychological variant of worship directly equivalent to how ancuent humans would worship harvest spirits, believing that the ritual of worship was itself a tendered receipt that paid the harvest spirit to bless the crops.

Onik may not be great at "I want to assimilate" but Onik is prodigy tier at "I want Ophidian to assimilate" and this translate to his desire to see his delusion made reality, while any instance of his construct-idol of his goddess being stymied would result in a "No, that is not canon, that is not in character, Saitama Ophidian always wins, I want Saitama Ophidian to win, I want Ophidian to be as she should! [Power Rightly Assumed!]"

...also how the hell do I get the color hex values, I cannot find the bloody fucking BBcode-deformatting button to see it directly, and have no clue how to use the hex color box! :mad:

27. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Well. I can that someone hates power scaling.

Good, one more welcomed to the fold.

Ardy likes this.
  28. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

You can just use color=orange as bbcode.

mastermenthe likes this.
  29. Mr Zoat

Half right. The Controllers were the ones who didn't want to keep using the Manhunters.
    I was trying to make a reference to the Green Lantern Animated episode 'Babel', where Kilowog makes a similar comment about a marching song.

In the comics, once the Green Lantern Corps was resurrected a few deaths ago, all the Lanterns switched from personal oaths to copying Jordan's. Naturally, that meant that they rhymed in English.

30. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

What are your thoughts on Earth 12 GL being able to recharge their rings in electricity?