1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

A slightly different matter, but that feat has been discussed before, and Zoat said that in this story rings can absorb energy like that but it takes charge, so as to not replace the dependence on the Glow.

Otherwise all those alt.Pauls disadvantaged by their lack of battery would have been significantly less screwed.

2. Threadmarks: Medidiction (part 20)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

27th August 2012
    09:25 GMT

"Illustres to Lantern Toren."

I suppose there's an outside chance that the ring has merely selected a new bearer as per its seeker protocols. That seems unlikely given that it didn’t just fly to the meanest Spider Guild affiliated slave master, but in the interest of the presumption of innocence I should at least ask them before I go in shooting. With the designs for the anti-construct ray stored in my ring, I'd be astonished if a newly minted Yellow Lantern was able-

"Lantern Toren here."

-to stand against me.

"A Spider Guilder with a yellow power ring just attacked Lantern Onik's old monastery. The attack has been defeated, as has the Lantern who carried it out. Their ring is heading this way and I want to see who it goes to."

"That is concerning, but I agree with your judgement. Do you believe that we can defeat Sinestro?"

I take a moment to look over the planet, looking for… Something that could conceivably be Sinestro. I'm not seeing anything, not even another individual with the same green blur as the abbot.

"Yes, as long as you don't mind explaining to the Guardians why you jumped straight to lethal force. Otherwise, I believe that I can defeat Sinestro."

"Under the circumstances I believe that to be the correct decision. Can you detect his location?"

"I'm not convinced that he's actually here. At the moment my money's on your abbot."

"That-. Why? How?"

"To paraphrase J'onn J'onzz, 'He was the only one on the planet whose soul I couldn't see'."

"I hope that you're wrong, but I'll stand by in case." The image of his head changes angle slightly. "I can detect the ring now. You're right, it's heading this way."

Some of the defence fleet ships pick it up on their sensors as it flies past, but it's a tiny object and not the sort of thing they were designed to track. And… They're ships designed to fight Spider Guild swarm fleets, not Lanterns.

"Stand ready. I'll follow-"

The ring flies past me and I turn to follow it.

"-it down."

"I will be ready."

"Good man. End." Toren's face vanishes. "Contact Lantern Dul."

"Oh, I'm included, am I?"

Because she was still sparring with Lantern Toren and heard the entire conversation. Nice to know that she was using her time productively.

"Yes. Recharge and stand ready to cover an evacuation."

"I'm in position to intercept the ring."

"So am I; I don't want it intercepted. I want to find out where it's going and who it's going to."

"Understood. Dul out."

Descending through the atmosphere, towards… Yes, the monastery. The ring is slowing slightly, scanning for something or more likely someone. Of course: if the abbot is keeping his willpower active then the fear ring is going to have trouble locating him. I suppose I could try assimilating it, but that runs the risk of it wiping itself. And I can always do that after we find its target.

Still don't really know what I'll do if I do encounter Sinestro. Yes, Kalmin wants me to kill him, and I can think of uses for a yellow ring… And an extra blue ring for Koriand'r, of course. But Sinestro's a veteran and if he's actually got a body of Lanterns under his command already…

I see a burst of fear and the ring zips away towards… The monastery's front lawn, and into the open right hand of the abbot. Toren is a short distance behind him inside the monastery, though clearly still aware of the man. Dul is circling around, ready to block the route between here and the closest population centre.

I slow to a stop as the abbot considers the ring. His environmental shield is active but he hasn't actually put the ring on yet.

"Would you like to explain?"

He looks sombre, his eyes only lifting from the ring for a moment to acknowledge me.

"I was a young man during the last war with the Spider Guild. I served in the marines, it was… The last time we actually tried occupying one of their worlds. I got to bear witness to their barbarity first hand. Their butchery centres, carcasses… I originally came here-"

He lifts his eyes up for a moment to take in his surroundings.

"-to try and learn how to cope with the nightmares."

"Did it help?"

"As you noticed, I can control what happens in my mind. So long as I do that, I sleep perfectly easily. It's.. supposed to be a triumph of will." He rotates the ring around until the sigil is facing him. "It doesn't feel that way."

"And that ring?"

"Sinestro sent it to me, along with a quantum entanglement communicator. He made me see exactly-. That my whole life had been defined by fear. All of our… Society. We reacted in fear of the Spider Guild, and…" His face creases in distaste. "Our fear shapes us, cracks papered over with will. We've never gone all out. We know they're evil, we say that we prize the ability to follow through on an action, on a thought, above all other psychological virtues, yet we never followed through on killing the people who kidnap and eat us. Because we're afraid of them. We bravely sit in one place and let them carry on. And we lie to ourselves about it."

"'We' or 'you'?"

"Do you think I became abbot by being atypical? My people consider me to be the pinnacle of virtue."

"Well… On the positive side, they probably don't any more."

"Tuh-hah! Yes. You're right."

"Why did you give the ring to that Spider Guilder?"

"I wanted to see if you would be paralysed into inaction as we have been. Instead, you fed her your own body just to make a point."

"Lantern Onik had trouble, to start with."

"But only to start with."

"I'm not sure what would have happened if I hadn't caught up with him."

"It was foolish of me to assume that everyone was motivated by the same thing or in the same way." He looks up and makes eye contact with me. "What happens now?"

What indeed?

Last edited: Jul 14, 2021
  3. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

...Convince him to join your corps? Gotta catch them all.

4. FreeGod

FreeGod If you see a God on the road fuck it!

He doesn't seem the right type.

5. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

He would have been eaten by the spiders.

Cuchulin, Doccer and w34v3r like this.
  6. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

And I can just see religious groups being up in arms over creating ships that are meant to fight people they consider to be saints and gods.

Don't forget improving your relationship with Soranik.

Though you may not get much practical value from that, while with Kalmin and Kori you can improve your relationship with a guy that can make hyper advanced tech and with Kori you can get a Lantern with incredible potential.

Of course.

Now they may view him as something like their version of a Satanic priest.

Time to see Paul potentially recruit another criminal and murderer.

7. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Welp, guess it's time for a new baby Corps of Yellow Lanterns.

The abbott hasn't quite achieved fear enlightenment yet, but he seems on the right path.

8. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

Bribe him to become enlightened, convince him to enter the Hypercube of Fright, and recover our deceased Fear Elemental from his dissatisfactory afterlife (courtesy of Nabu)?

Am I blind, or did we never get the Abbot’s name?

9. FreeGod

FreeGod If you see a God on the road fuck it!

Paul isn't just making Lantern corps just for the sake of it. It only makes sense if Paul has some purpose in mind for it or otherwise benefits from it's existence.

10. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Assuming Nabu didn't completely destroy Siskin.

No, we didn't get his name.

For all we know it's possible that once he joined the monastery he had to abandon it for some religious purpose.

He has expressed an interest in the past of making Lantern Corps' of different colors for reasons ranging from any unique properties that light may have to simply wanting to control them so other less reputable groups won't.

11. chxenocide

chxenocide Getting sticky.

To prepare in case of Blackest Night

12. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Hopefully it's just headed to the person who gave it to the Spider-guilder. The question is, to remind everyone, who is that person and why did they give the ring away? A test for the Orange Lantern Illustres? Curiosity to see if the Spiders were a worthwhile recruitment source? For the lulz? I'm sure we're about to find out.

"And you didn't think to call me sooner?" I can see Toren taking that decision poorly. Or he'll chalk it down to 'If an Illustres couldn't handle it, I would not make much difference.'

Because it's only natural to assume that Sinestro, the only known Yellow Ring user, would be present. Even we're assuming he's lurking nearby, just waiting to leap out in his black-and-purple long-johns to monologue...

What with the anti-construct weapons presumably still being classified, I assume Toren wouldn't have any illusions about his chances..

Let's give Toren a moment to pick his jaw up off the floor, please...

Heh. I suppose being the only person to be concealing their emotions would make him suspicious as hell. Sure, it could have been mental discipline learned through years of study... But in the face of hostile action, it's easy to jump to that conclusion without any hesitation...

I expect the captains of the vessels are going to be familiar with a Ring in transit, given Karax's history. The colour, though, would be a surprise...

Hopefully with the beefiest anti-Lantern constructs he can think of...

Is that insubordination I hear, Dul? :D Good to see you;'re making progress in thinking for yourself!

Bet that'll ruffle her feathers. She's probably looking forwards to some real combat.

After all, they can be handled while they're adjusting to the ring, if it's someone unfamiliar with wielding one. And this is not a situation where immediate belligerence is the best option...

No doubt Sinestro's already heard of what OL did to Stewart's ring that first New Year's. Whether via contacts in the Green Lantern Corps or via galactic scuttlebutt about Orange Lantern's abilities to convert items and people... It's reasonable that the ring would have protections against Orange Light interference.

Still, let's not go straight for the guns here, kids. He's not wearing it yet. Perhaps you can convince him to surrender it...

Just the fact he's already got a field on... That suggests a measure of talent... Not something to be wasted.

...Not an unreasonable excuse for taking up a ring...

No doubt that helped him to master his own fear enough to make him a prime subject for recruitment.

Yes, you built a brick wall of will around that fear and pain... But even the best wall has holes which can leak things through...

Or perhaps your people are well aware that an all-out war against the Guild worlds would likely kill more than either race could cope with. Especially since the Spider Guild septs aren't likely to hold back on planet-killing weapons if they think they have nothing left to lose...

I shudder at what the Karaxians could do if they fell into the worship of Fear... Imagine the Lanterns they'd produce...

Well, at least he can see the funny side of becoming an arch-heretic.

Disturbing as it was... It was certainly effective.

Nothing good, I think. Thankfully, that's nothing to worry about now.

Given your usual methods? Either a recruitment attempt or a philosophical talking to that makes the abbot surrender. Or both.

Well...Looks like everyone saw that coming. I mean, he wasn't Sinestro in disguise - I doubt he could maintain a disguise for long amongst the monks - but the master of Fear was still behind this. I wonder, was this a test to see if he could successfully recruit such a paragon of will? Because Sinestro is all about control. I don't see him making a Yellow ring and giving it to anyone without some bigger plan behind it...

Minars90, Gilhelmi, Cuchulin and 17 others like this.
  13. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

It could have been to see if he could recruit a paragon of will or even just a petty ego thing to take away a worshiper of the Guardians.

14. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

Seduce the Abbot! Jade and Ophidi-Chan never need to know!

15. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

I'm not certain Ophidian would have a problem with it; she's all about wanting more, after all, and whatever is Paragon's is hers as well. I forget how much interaction there's been between Ophidian and Jade, actually, if any. I guess introducing your girlfriend to your literal soulmate is a big step.

16. Senevri

Senevri Not too sore, are you?

Ninjas, explosion, recruitment and dueling philosophies all seem likely.

17. Clell65619

Clell65619 Making the rounds.

- Steve? In their language it translates to 'obvious badguy'.

Cuchulin and Hell's Razer like this.
  18. mastermenthe

mastermenthe Mint Thistle

On the bright side: The abbot could wear the ring and command it to transmit all data to Ol's ring.

Also, it's obvious that the abbot always intended to give away the ring, you don't pull a mcguffin antichrist stunt unless you intend for the mcguffin involved to end up in properly worthy hands.

It's a classic mythological trial-by-conquest trope.

That is a big deal! Some of OL's prospective apprentices can't manage that!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2021
  19. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

20. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

21. Threadmarks: Medidiction (part 21)
    Mr Zoat

27th August 2012
    09:29 GMT

Supplying weapons to the Spider Guild carries some fairly heavy penalties on Karax, for obvious reasons. Treating with enemies of the Green Lantern Corps like Sinestro would also warrant a heavy punishment. Karax tends to treat persistent criminality as a defect of will, so their punishments for serious crimes tend to involve the sorts of things that this monastery did anyway. Is there anything to gain by trying to arrange for something different to happen here?

I haven't personally lost anything. Lantern Onik got a useful lesson in the face of his people's ancestral enemies, I got a slightly better look at modern Spider Guild combat robots and we've got access to a yellow power ring.

"Did Sinestro provide you with a yellow personal lantern?"

"No. He said that I should.. seek him out, if I… Came to a resolution."

So… What? Option one, hand him over to the local police. I can actually see inside him now, and he has no desire to resist. Option two… Try and get him to act as a double agent inside whatever Corps Sinestro is building? Karaxians aren't generally considered good at obfuscation, and he's not in the best mental state. Option three…

Ring..?

Option three would be to allow him to carry out a one-man death and glory attack on the Spider Guild, an option that is actually supported by Karaxian law. I don't know how much charge he's got left, but there's no way that the Spiders would try and take a Lantern alive right now.

"Have you?"

"Even though I didn't feel it, fear shaped my thoughts and actions. My will was impotent. His argument that fear is more fundamental was borne out by my actions."

"Do you want people to fear you?"

"If that is the most productive way to act, yes. I don't like it, but that's… My life hasn't been about doing things that I've liked."

And given how I assisted Onik in beating the Guilder, I can't argue about the efficacy of fear.

What was Sinestro trying to get out of this? A loyal henchman? Was it for a propaganda victory, and if so who is the intended audience? To weaken Lantern Toren in some way? To disrupt interstellar Lanternism and so encourage other fear-filled people to seek him out?

But that's all really about Sinestro.

My 'Lord Protector' alter ego attained enlightenment by meditating on his fears. By constantly forcing himself to feel them he became preternaturally aware of them, and so freed himself from their control. I wouldn't mind sticking the abbot in a laboratory to see exactly what he can learn to do…

Except that I'm here to improve my abilities as a teacher, and the abilities of my students. Mucking about with this is likely to get me cut off from this place as a source of teaching materials. Self-centredness is the way to go. If the Karaxians want to try something clever I'll offer my advice, but that's something they can decide for themselves.

"To return to your question, what happens next depends on you. I can tell that you're feeling pretty down about the whole thing. If I ask you to hand over your ring and surrender, will you?"

"Would it help?"

"Counselling by a non-Karaxian psychiatrist would probably help, but I imagine that they're going to want to disarm you before taking your case."

All else failing I can probably persuade Harleen to take the case. This sounds more like a cultural blind spot rather than a complex issue.

"But…"

"You said yourself: you haven't ever truly overcome your fear. There is nothing in your current belief structure that you haven't tried. All that's left is to try something else, something new."

He holds up the ring slightly.

"Like this?"

"If an excess of fear caused this problem, how would more fear help you solve it? Don't you want to stop feeling fear because the fear is gone? Don't you want to stop being afraid of fear?"

He shudders slightly.

"More than anything. I-."

"Conflicting emotional resonance registered. Avarice overriding fear."

"A curious response, and not one I was expecting."

The ring… Fades. It was a construct of some sort? I suppose that would explain part of how it could exist. I know that imbuing energy from a ring into another object is possible, it just never seemed useful or efficient. As it fades, the light spreads out slightly, forming an…

That's what the local Sinestro looks like.

"I assume that you have spoken to one of Vril Dox's people, then. If a man as fearful as you can learn to overcome himself through avarice, then perhaps I should reconsider my selection criteria. Farewell. I doubt that we'll see one another again."

The light fades out completely, leaving no trace of his presence.

Oh. So-. A transmission? He didn't seem to be aware of my physical presence. Aware of the candidate only? I could just contact him directly but I strongly suspect that he's a better character analyst than me when I can't use my empathic abilities.

Lantern Toren walks out of the monastery and towards the abbot, who has collapsed to his knees. Lantern Dul follows, though she stays a little distant and keeps her ring at the ready. Toren has the resigned air of someone with a necessary but unpleasant job to do, and his ring's glowing at the bare minimum level that it can and still function.

"Abbot, you're under arrest."

The abbot doesn't move for a moment, then nods.

"Yes. Of course."

He rises to his feet, then holds his arms limply out for Toren to cuff. Toren nods at me as he does so.

"Thank you for resolving this peacefully."

"In the interest of providing you with all pertinent information-"

I toss a glowing orange mote to his ring, where it provides him with everything that happened since I left.

"-I only handled this bit peacefully. But you're both welcome."

Toren's eyes glow as he takes it in.

"I.. see. I will have to consider this. What are your plans now?"

"Being slightly more aware of the Spider Guild now, I think I'll have the practical part of this instruction session take part on their side of the border. Have Lanterns Dul, Onik and Xor put what they've learned into practice. Until either Dox calls us back or one of them has a breakthrough I need to share with Maltus immediately, I'll be staying here."

"We will speak more about that when I return."

He and the abbot rise into the air and head in the direction of the nearest large city.

I turn to Lantern Dul.

"Does the Thanagarian Empire have any contact with the Spider Guild?"

"No. We don't."

I smile.

"Let's go and fix that."

Last edited: Aug 12, 2021
  22. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

A ring construct that can do anything a full ring can do?

Wow, I actually underestimated Sinestro.

Perhaps a sideeffect of fear creating more fear?

"How was the first contact between Thanagar and the Spider-Guild?"

"Crunchy"

23. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I have to admit, I'm little disappointed that Paul didn't get a chance to speak with Sinestro. Hopefully when it inevitably happens, it will be a memorable event.

That should be 'from'.

24. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I remember it being mentioned that disgraced Green Lanterns could be allowed to fight Qwardians to redeem themselves, so the Karaxians may have adopted that practice.

Maybe 'was borne out of my'

Or like I mentioned previously it could be just a petty ego thing.

'to encourage'

'fails'

She may be interested in studying an aliens mindset.

'said it'

Maybe 'a little distance away'

We do not come in peace.

Is the next episode renegade or paragon focused?

25. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    I think that's correct.
    Thank you, corrected.

26. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Oh hey! Paragon finally lost! :p

Senevri likes this.
  27. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

So the abbot won't be retaining his position whatever happens, most likely. And it doesn't look like there's much reason to try and improve matters for him. Certainly, there's no profit in it for OL... Whoever takes over will likely allow him to continue his research here.

Though the latter thing is still up in the air. That depends on the abbot, I suppose.

Would have been awkward, then, if it had run out of charge out there in combat.

Checking his options, I see. I doubt option two would be in any way helpful, and Sinestro might well see it coming anyway.

Not after the showing you gave them. Unfortunately, that comes down to whether the abbot can muster the strength to actually make the ring work... And right now, he seems kind of... exhausted.

Quite the crisis of faith for someone devoted to the power of the Green Light.

It's like he's resigned to his fate, whatever that might be. Show some spirit, abbot.

Questions we've been asking too. Unfortunately it doesn't look like they'll be answered anytime soon.

Too bad he's gone back to his world, to work further on matters there (until he finally gains the dimensional portal that got him onto Earth-Bet.)

Like I said, there's no profit in trying to intercede. Nearly every option costs you more than you gain...

Certainly, getting outside help might be useful. Have some N.E.M.O. scientists look at him to determine the effects of the Yellow light could be worthwhile...

There's an option. give Sinestro the middle finger, flip the figurative table and walk away. I doubt the abbot would find any more comfort in the Orange light than he would the Yellow, though...

Yes, embrace the thing fuelled by the very thing causing this crisis of faith... That'll work out so well...

The problem is that he's so soaked in fear that he can't see any other way out. What he needs is something to focus on...

Something like that. Lucky for you, OL. Looks like the Yellow Ring's decided to cut its losses.

A Deputy Ring, which is a known function of Green rings. Not a commonly used one since the average Green Lantern tends not to want any help from outside the Corps. I see Sinestro added some manner of programming in the case of failure, though...

Heh. Not quite the monologue we hoped for, but I suppose he's a busy Korugarian. But it looks like he is taking the first steps of forming a Corps, then, if he's investigating recruitment criteria.

More likely a pre-recorded contingency. And probably better not to poke the sleeping dragon. We've already seen what happens when you do, with a literal dragon, at that...

Yeah, this is not something to be celebrated. No great victory or triumphant battle, just a man who gave into temptation...

Better put him on suicide watch, that doesn't sound healthy...

If depressingly poorly otherwise.

Oh, yeah, the atrocity. Against generally bad people, but still...

I don't see trying to arrest him for attempted genocide and mass destruction of a biosphere would be too wise,... Best to bump it upstairs to the Guardians and let them try it.

With any luck, Karax's Spider Guild issues might be greatly reduced for a few generations...

Time to take out some frustrations on some bad people...

Bonding over the joy of orbital bombardments and mass destruction.

Well, not a good end for the abbot. A lot of death and pain for no real benefit. OL's had better runs, though I'm hard-pressed to remember any episode that ended worse for him. The confrontation with Nabu, maybe, since he lost at least three assets (Teekl, Micheal Sisken and John Constantine, to a degree...) Still, getting to make the universe a slightly better place soon might improve the mood.

28. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

Looks like he's mostly just experimenting with finding the ideal candidates for a Yellow Lantern Corps. I'm sure subverting the abbot would have been a nice propaganda bonus or petty fuck you to the Greenies, but it still feels more like a bonus than the goal in and of itself.

So I imagine the Orange Lantern Corps coming into its own and the chat Sinestro had with Vril Dox have had their share of influence.

Vorian, CTrees, Lord Ernest and 2 others like this.
  29. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I don't think he's capable of that now.

A battle to the death and those around him going crazy, along with a situation he should have resolved a long, long time ago getting him trapped in pink crystal and nearly brainwashed.

Though if another sect comes along then they will have trouble.

Unless they choose not to since the OLC has a more lax attitude to members wiping out species compared to the GLC.

I'm reminded of that Slaaneshmas special where Ahriman said that xenophobia brings everyone together.

Though he may finally find some peace.

30. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

Is the spider guild queen whom Paul gave that massage to still alive?