1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Yes, she's in a completely different region of space.

2. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

Fingers crossed we get to see Princess again.

Xmaster3000, Ardy and RichardWhereat like this.
  3. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Paul's daughter was adorable.

Xmaster3000, Caerwen and Bud-E like this.
  4. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

Damn, I hoped at least Sinestro was remotely monitoring the situation and he would have a few words with the Illustres. Foreplay is good an all, but this is too much teasing his appearance.

I'm curious now what the practical lesson for the Orange Lanterns will be. Extermination campaign with the Spider Guild? Not that anybody would miss them. I, for one, am an advocate for the extinction of malignant and unrepentant species when there's no collateral damage. I mean, maybe a few eco-systems may suffer, but I don't think there's any sane person that would miss mosquitoes, cockroaches or fucking ticks.

And I don't think the Illustres is wanting to go to Vega for a while. Nothing of value there, just a bunch of ungrateful people, pirates and the only spiders we know that by some miracle don't deserve to be fully exterminated... yet.

5. Mr Zoat

It's not a miracle. She was more or less a test subject, and most of the rest are young enough that they weren't fully inculturated.

6. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Vega has two of his first Orange Lanterns, one of which may potentially become one of the first members of a Blue Lantern Corps, and the people there are very grateful, the thing with the Psions being the exception.

Paul is also very big on building civilization and improving places, so he may want to keep a close eye there to make sure everything is going smoothly.

Most of the pirates were also killed, some of them went legit and the ones that didn't aren't expected to live long.

Paul is also unlikely to exterminate the Vega Spider Guild.

He's very big on rehabilitation if it's possible and the Guild there has so far proven to be receptive to the idea and may function as civilized members of the galactic community.

Also there's Princess to consider.

It's been mentioned that the OLC may face recruitment problems since finding people that can wield orange rings without going nuts is not easy.

With Princess, and any potential future sisters or brothers she may have, the OLC could have a source of stable recruits.

And given that the Queen has stated that she can manipulate the genes of other species and even carry embryos of other species inside herself, she may potentially help species that are extinct or near extinct come back to life, like the species the Reach conquered.

Granted the Controllers may be able to bring them back themselves, but she is also an option.

7. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

If it was a science experiment it makes it more believable. What I don't understand is if she escaped her creators or if the whole Guild chapter is the experiment itself. As the Illustres pointed out, the Spiders normally don't have Queens, and if she herself was a test subject, how did she end up ultimately in charge?

After all, the chapter wasn't paricularly small from what I gathered, they had enough resources to fight against a brief coallision of pirates when they arrived and established themselves in Vega. They lost, true, but if they had been just a couple of ships I don't think they would have survived to entrench in a planet. They would have died in space. So the resources for the Vega Guild chapter came from somewhere and I imagine the Queen already existed and was in charge by the time they were traveling to Vega. The origin of that chapter is what confuses me.

8. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

I believe the explanation was just that everyone higher-ranking than her was killed in the hostilities prior to Paragon's arrival in Vega. In the Renegade timeline I believe the entire Nest was destroyed.

ShadowPoint, Ardy and Lord Ernest like this.
  9. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

That particular chapter was apparently interested in conducting genetic experiments that were strongly disapproved off by the rest of the Guild, to the point they'd be killed if it got out.

That's probably why they went to Vega.

It's fairly isolated since most civilized societies and species may avoid it due to the large presence of pirates and psychotic aliens, so they may have felt they can do their experiments there without getting caught.

If I remember correctly it was mentioned that the various powers in Vega teamed up to destroy them and managed to kill the leadership.

After this the Queen took control and birthed new Guilders that were instinctually loyal to her, while the previous ones were either forced to follow her or were killed and probably eaten.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
    Vorian, Ardy, Mr Zoat and 1 other person like this.
  10. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Yep.

And that Crown Imperium admiral has the Queens head as a trophy.

Bramble Thorn and DrThoth like this.
  11. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

the ring

12. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

13. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Paul was, Paragon doesn't really seem to care about that.

14. FreeGod

FreeGod If you see a God on the road fuck it!

Paul likes improving things. That is alot easier in shit holes and if you mess up things don't get that much worse.

Prince Charon likes this.
  15. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

Though, if the situation is bad enough(Gotham), Paul loses motivation.

Xmaster3000 likes this.
  16. FreeGod

FreeGod If you see a God on the road fuck it!

It isn't that Gotham is bad enough. Paul knows plenty of places that are worse.

Xmaster3000, Prince Charon and Vorian like this.
  17. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

Selection critia? He's preparing for a proper corps somehow.
    Perhaps the fear of failure without more people?
    Must take a lot of focus to keep up a contruct ring.

Xmaster3000 likes this.
  18. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

The evaporating ring is interesting...considering it formed into a transmission or echo of Sinestro is a neat feature.

We've seen ring users tele-operate construct selves during communication between lanterns, but never full colour, never without a tether, and never doing combat.

Then again, looking at Kyle Rayner in the Superman cartoon, he got away with a decoy ring trick pretty quick. (and of course now I look back at the live action GL film and see they did the same gag with a remote controlled ring)

I dimly recall it being mentioned during the comic book run when Hal as Parallax attacked Oa that he freed Sinestro from his place imprisoned in the Central Battery to Kill him. It Looked like he succeeded only for it to later be shown that he'd 'killed' a construct Sinestro (in full colour) that was being remote piloted. We've seen the 'the gnat' turn people Into constructs and then shaping those into Rings, but that's not what we're seeing here.

The DC wiki entry for yellow lanterns list an 'Energy Twin' feature:

'Energy Twin
    : The power ring allows the wearer to create an "energy twin" of his/her/itself that can travel at far greater speeds than that of the ring wielder's physical form. While the energy twin is active the ring wielder remains motionless, his/her/its life force is needed to guide the energy twin. The energy twin can not alter its surroundings, and may only be perceived by another ring wielder as a yellow, ghostlike image. Any knowledge gained by the energy twin is transferred back to the ring wielder's physical form upon recontact with the body.'

So maybe it's something along these lines and Sinestro Was the ring via this twinning?

19. Threadmarks: Medidiction (supplementary, Renegade Option)
    Mr Zoat

27th August 2012
    10:33 GMT -7

"In what way 'like me'?"

Artemis and I glance at each other, and I shrug. "I'll take the lead, then."

"The… Shape of it, the… Space it makes in the arcane energy flows of the universe. You're similar to a New God, but different enough in the way you function that there's a difference we can feel. Your manifestation is similar but the way you're wired in is different."

"Other than Donna there isn't anyone like me."

"That you know of."

"I suppose that the universe is a big place-."

I shake my head. "No, this is Olympian flavoured. I've been to Themyscira. I know what your people feel like."

Kicking myself slightly for not getting a better feel for Hippolyta or the other demigoddesses. That would have given me a better point of reference. As it is, I only have three. And I'm… Not likely to get another invitation, am I?

Diana looks understandably puzzled. "Amazons have never had spaceships."

"I'm painfully aware of that."

Artemis glares at me out of the corner of her eyes. Hunt-Partner Warns Prey.

"Sorry. Sorry, I know you… Your people, never developed in that direction. But did any of you know anyone who did? Did you have any contact with space-faring civilisations? The local Green Lantern?"

Diana shakes her head. "No. I have never seen any records of any contact like that. Are you certain that you felt what was actually there?"

I spread my arms to the sides. "As sure as I can be. 'Space Amazons' wouldn't have been my first guess for something like this. It's so out of character. Even your grandmother wouldn't have entirely depopulated a planet."

"Are you certain that they are dead?"

"I can't really be certain of anything. But… Ockham's Razor."

"Could it not be a Chaos Lord?"

"I'd feel one of them. There are only so many you can kill before you get a feel for their magic." I shake my head. "And I don't think it was another equivalent magic user. There would be a distinct feel to it."

"Themyscira has produced sorceresses before."

"Then we're back to the problem of how they got there." I shake my head. "Look, if you want to look into it yourself I'm sure that Scott can lend you a boom tube, but I don't have any information I haven't already given you."

"Aside from the fact that whoever this was, they're working with another version of you."

"That was news to me too. That he was working with an Amazon, I mean."

"But not that he existed."

"No, I've known that for a while. And before you complain to me about it, it isn't pertinent information that I'm obliged to share with you by your intelligence sharing agreement with the US government. I had no information that he was heading for Earth, and as far as I know he isn't."

"The Earth Fifty version did."

"Superman Fifty killed Darkseid. He needed to go to their Earth to confirm his authority. Earth Sixteen just isn't that interesting to him."

"What if he follows you here?"

"What if he came here anyway?" I shrug. "Earth's a thaumically active world. His New God navigational systems could easily pick it up, and it isn't exactly a secret on Apokolips that this is where Scott ended up. When this is over… Either he'll be dead and in no position to come after Earth, or I'll be dead and he'll have no reason to come after Earth."

"Unless he decides to anyway."

"Then.. you should probably get busy on anti-ship defences. I know Lex is."

"If he sends ships to Vega-."

"No no-" I shake my head. "-no. We worked that out. No human ships, just in case."

Lex offered, but it… Wouldn't be a good idea. Apokoliptian ships would be shielded against purple death rays, tough enough to take cold guns and have sensors good enough to detect ships through our stealth systems. It just wasn't worth the risk.

"Very well. I will raise the matter with the rest of the Justice League. I take it that you want our aid."

"It-."

Artemis elbows me.

"Yes. You should feel free to have a look around Vega and check that I'm not worse than someone who vanishes the populations of entire planets."

Artemis shakes her head. "Grayven, you have disappeared the populations of entire planets."

"Yeah, but they were really bad. And.. some psions survived, so really it was just the Citadelians and they were all clones of one man. Anyway, I'm perfectly happy for you to-."

"You're not." Diana looks me in the eye, challenging me to contradict her.

"Alright, I'm not. But I'll put up with it if it means that my people have a better chance of not getting vanished. I like the Tamaraneans. I've put effort into making the place a little more civilised." I exhale, and bow my head slightly. "Plus of course if you do decide to take part, I'll have to tell you everything about what I've been doing there."

"You should tell us that anyway."

"Well, it's not like I'm going to chain you to a ship so you can't leave if you say 'yes' and then later feel like taking it back… But I suspect that if members of the League commit themselves to helping then they're committed to helping."

"We would not necessarily be helping you."

"Yes, I understand that, but I'd rather that more of my people survived than I remain in charge of them." I raise my eyebrows. "Was that true?"

"Yes." Diana nods. "It was."

"Oh, and I'm perfectly willing to upgun anyone who wants to take part. Because this is a battle, and anyone who tries to avoid lethal attacks is probably going to die."

"I will inform the League."

"And..?"

"And I will recommend that we aid the people of Vega, subject to what we find. But if there is some long lost sister of mine in the other Grayven's fleet, then she is mine to deal with."

I nod. "Oh, I totally get that. It would actually bypass some New God technology-based defences if she were confronted by someone thematically associated with her."

We stand, and the hush tube opens to take Diana back to New York.

Artemis and I watch her leave. This is about it, really. With the fleet pretty much as good as it's going to get we're going alternate-me hunting tomorrow. Any last things to take care of-.

"I've left a letter for Mom, in case I don't come back."

I nod. "And Tao?"

"We… Broke up."

"I hadn't felt him for a while, but I thought it was just the disconnect."

"I'm a hundred times his age. At least. He just feels… Young."

"Yes, I get it. Luna's a fraction of my age now, but at least she's an adult."

"You going to spend some time with her?"

"I hope so. But I've got another obligation to discharge first."

Last edited: Jul 16, 2021
  20. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Consequences of being an asshole.

Let's take a moment and appreciate how Artemis has to deal with this idiot.

Though she may have killed a lot of people.

Well if they got access to the Dreaming or Hell then they could have probably used that.

There's also any help from Titans they could have got, since I think it was mentioned they are not as bound to planets as regular gods.

Unless he figures out that they can be turned into New Gods and wants to make an army, like Grayven 50 did.

Diana can see through your bullshit.

Sad, but understandable.

21. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

So, Lynne or Alan’s grave? Maybe Tawny? Who else is there?

Cuchulin and Prince Charon like this.
  22. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

new -> New

23. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Ah, finally talking to Diana. I suppose she's been busy, since it apparently took a little while to get to see her. Wonder what they've found out in the intervening period...

So, like the difference between two country's electrical plugs. She'd need some manner of adaptor to use New God tech directly...

A certain spicy flavour. Very Greek.

...That you know of, Diana. Who's to say what secrets lay in the depths of Themyscira's long memory.

Heh, chastising him with a hint of godspeech. I wonder if Diana noticed that at all?

The problem is, would those involved have written it down? Especially if they felt it too.. strange or unpleasant.. for general consumption by the people.

That grandmother would be Otrera. Lover of Ares, so that gives you some idea of her temperament...

Eh... Where the chaos in vanishing an entire planet's population? If anything it's orderly afterwards.

Indeed, not all of them heroic.

Which is concerning. But the Renegade will have to cross that bridge when he comes to it, i guess.

Hardly the first counterpart he's run into. And the Forever morons pegged him as Grayven even before he started his transformation... Yes, we know it was coincidental, but...

He had to swing his New God dick in the fight for the throne of Apokolips.

Then the Justice League can pull off a miracle and save the world. It's their job, after all.

Yes, and you'll have some warning. The Renegade's letting you know of the possibility now.

That would just raise a challenge Grayven-16 would have to answer.

:oops: ...Ehhh... I don't think playing by the League's rules of engagement will be helpful here.

Well, the populations that haven't earned it, anyway.

Plus, the citadelians were all wired in to be exactly like their original, with additional subservience.

Which explains why he's not trying overly hard to encourage her to help out.

Yeah, doing that would just set the League into 'you're eeeevil!' mode. Though I suspect one or two might recognise the necessity of a wartime footing.

"After all I've put a lot of work into them," to Paraphrase the Eleventh Doctor...

So, Apokoliptian-grade battle armour, Purple rays with lethal and heal settings... Cold guns? Imagine the Flash wielding one in a ground battle.

That's fair. She'd probably insist on the same deal with Grayven anyway if she finds out.

Meeting In Challenger Mountain, I presume.

Don't be like that. You're a protagonist here, the Narrative will protect you unless you keep setting death flags like that.

Sad, but expected. What boy could satisfy a Goddess, after all?

And there are names for that sort of thing. Not all of them are nice.

Hmm? I wonder what?

Well, if that's setting up the next Renegade episode, it's doing a good job of it. Things are about to come to a head in Vega, and it's simply a matter of time before Grayven-16 makes his move. A pity there are so many unknowns involved for this to prove a suitably unfair fight.

Godspeech:

24. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Potential damage to the ecosystem can be chaotic.

He did look like him and Orange Light feels Apokaliptian.

I'm reminded of that George R.R. Martin thing from South Park.

He is a demigod himself.

She and paragon may bond over younger people having romantic feelings for them.

Ardy, JoTa34 and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  25. egooo

egooo Getting sticky.

Ayyy, if that isn't a promise of more ponyworld Renegade arks, I don't know what is.
    Gimmie.

Titansfall and Handlewithcare like this.
  26. Gazing Eye

Gazing Eye Compound, Lidless, Always Watching.

I swear if it turns out that this is the Femazons...

27. jasonh23761

jasonh23761 Not too sore, are you?

I take it they went and got Diana in the time since the last Renegade chapter, since they were talking to Donna? I got about 3/4 of the way through before I realized they were talking to Diana and not still with Donna.

On the one hand, nice to see someone call Grayven on his BS and see him actually deal with the consequences of his rasher actions.

On the other hand, I was really hoping to see Donna fall into Grayven's retinue in a manner similar to Artemis, even if that would have taken a good amount of work to make sense. Donna has always been an interesting character to me who is dramatically underutilized. She's always the older one who is away at college and no one ever uses her tenure as Wonder Girl. Hell, the most interesting thing they ever let her do was fuck off into the void and join the Darkstars.

Now I'm just a bit bummed that she's being relegated to the trash bin again. Womp womp.

Ardy, zeebza and Lord Ernest like this.
  28. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Or... He will do the smart thing and bypass Vega to attack Earth because it's the place where you have invested most of your power...

Luna's multiple thousands of years old...

29. egooo

egooo Getting sticky.

I'm pretty sure that's never stated in the show?

The only determined stretch of time is the thousand years she's been banished for, and that technically doesn't count, depending on how one justifies (handwaved by being "in slumber' most often).

"Many thousands years old" is often used in pony stories, yes, but it is not canon.

No definite canon exists as far as I can tell, so Zoat is free to interpret her as someone who lived for 'only' a hundred years or two before the banishment.

At worst, she's, like, 2.5-3 times Renegade's age (counting the banishment).

Ardy likes this.
  30. Mr Zoat

No, the Renegade is so very British that he can't help but think of it as 'the York that happens to be new'.
    As stated in the Equestria episodes, Luna's in her forties. Which is no age for an alicorn.

[​IMG]