1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

I'm sorry, but only the aftermath of the Sheeda Invasion tilts the balance of the scale in Grayven's Earth's favor. Paragon's Earth suffered a lot from that. I don't know for sure, obviously, but I would bet that Grayven's Earth's population has a billion or two more than Paragon's.

The universe in general in Paragon's side may be better, as a consequence of his Orange Lantern Corps being more well established and his overall galactic and Lantern networking. But Earth specifically? Nah, Grayven's is winning on that one, in my opinion.

2. WaleXdraK

WaleXdraK Not too sore, are you?

Oh god, now i really want to see a few chapters of an alternate Paul dropped in Invincible.

Vorian and Bud-E like this.
  3. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

You didn't read Hunter/Prey.

It's what introduces Doomsday's adaptation ability.

For one thing, it isn't dependent on dying first.

When fighting a Green Lantern, he stole his ring.

When fighting a Guardian, he was draining his energy.

The Guardian, realizing that Doomsday was only getting stronger as the fight continued, killed himself to defeat Doomsday.

And that was before he made it to Earth.

In his second fight with Superman, enhanced with New God technology, he adapted earplugs to defend against sonic attacks, and Scorpion style "COME OVER HERE!" retractable bone spikes for pulling flyers towards him.

So against a lantern like Paul? Constructs won't matter since the Lantern very shortly won't have any charge in their ring.

That got retconned in the Eradicator series. Kem-El didn't create the Eradicator but reprogrammed it.

The Eradicator was actually a knowledge gatherer/preservation device, hence the eating of David Kim's mind.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
    Otto von Saurion and Cuchulin like this.
  4. AverusBlack

AverusBlack AKA Aisling

Always Sunny Theme with the caption "Omni-man meets a black hole" or something

5. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Maybe, remember what tech healed her.

6. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Not according to the Map.

[​IMG]

7. AverusBlack

AverusBlack AKA Aisling

This story has specifically mentioned Vega being a small star cluster. Paul literally did a little speech on it. IIRC it was either when he was talking to the game developers, first recapping his trip offworld or explaining where he was going, I can't recall which, but there's a point where it's mentioned that in this story specifically Vega is a star cluster.

Also, you are literally the exact kind of person every writer hates. You treat this story like it's constantly committing the sin of not being good enough for you. Becalm your mammaries, dude. You can't even bring up a valid question without being condescending and snarky about it. Chill.

8. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

You really don't, because he would have died. Even on the off chance he found some way to charge his ring he would have died.

You're mistaking a multi-star solar system for star cluster.

Vega itself, both in real life and DC comics is a single star solar system with the star being a Blue sequence.

Otto von Saurion likes this.
  9. Radix

Radix I trust you know where the happy button is?

All I can find is that it is an archaic form. I have never heard it used before, even in british shows or books.

Before I thought it was a made up word to describe magic surgery. But then it was used here to describe normal surgery.

10. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

I wonder what specific xenophobic traits were put into Kara's personality. Because Grayven is clearly not Kryptonian, and unless she's been holed up with no company but Karsta for the last couple weeks, surely she's had SOME exposure to other people?

11. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

From the look of things she has no problem with killing hostile aliens.

Non hostile ones I'm not so sure about, but if she's fine with renegade, who has not been hostile to her, then she may just be prejudiced against hostile ones.

Otto von Saurion and Cuchulin like this.
  12. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

The real problem with this for Grayven is that unless Zoat pulls a Dues Ex Machina, Superman is going to demand to take Kara back to the fortress and have the systems there give her a lookover.

Which means it will detect what Grayven did. And in no world does that look good for Grayven.

Cuchulin likes this.
  13. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Here's one!
    Genomorphs, the children and some Tamaraneans.
    The Eradicator is dedicated to preserving kryptonian life and culture. The Renegade is supporting Karsta's efforts to recreate the kryptonian species, so he's cool for now.

14. Nervaqus987

Nervaqus987 Well worn.

Superman: "Grayven, what the fuck?"

Grayven: "I found her in a life support pod that was stuck in a giant chunk of kryptonite that she's been in since the planet exploded. At which point I raided the Daxamites to get the medical tech to fix her injuries, which included extensive neurological damage by the way, and that's how she ended up."

Superman: *looks at Wonder Woman*

Wonder Woman: "He's not lying."

15. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Eh; good thing is, the Eradicator is extremely loyal to the House of El, so Superman may be able to reign her in. Bad thing is, Grayven is not gonna keep Kara.

Cuchulin and Prince Charon like this.
  16. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

This whole thing with the Eradicator kinda reminds me of But Doctor I am Pagliacci, where a reformed Joker activates the Eradicator to help him beat Luthor and later on had cloned Kryptonian tissue added to it so it ended up looking like a cybernetic Kara.

Cuchulin, mastermenthe and WaleXdraK like this.
  17. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

This isn't the Wonder Woman that can do that, you're thinking of Paragons.

Also they have already established that Grayven can beat that cause Zoat has New God stuff trump magic.

Cuchulin likes this.
  18. Nervaqus987

Nervaqus987 Well worn.

Citation please.

19. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

This story...

The ability showed up after Wonder Woman mainlined Truth during the whole Angel incident.

Cuchulin likes this.
  20. Mr Zoat

Here, for those interested, though it's been over a year since the last update.

21. Nervaqus987

Nervaqus987 Well worn.

Yeah, except no.

https://forum.questionablequesting....stice-si-story-only.8961/page-32#post-2504914

That scene takes place months in universe before the Angel bullshit.

There's also bits of Grayven mentioning once or twice that Diana would know if he was lying or not.

22. WaleXdraK

Vitrumite aren’t that strong compared to Kryptonian (depend of the Medium tho, easily stronger then most animated Kryptonian) also never said it would have been a Paul dropped before the slaughter of the Guardians of the Globe or if it’s a Paul dropped before that if he know some of the general setting he would have had the time to learn enough with his rings to beat Omniman with the help of the Guardians (we know they are able to beat him if they aren’t taken by surprise, even if they do take some lose) while staying low enough that he wouldn’t have triggered him too soon.

ps: but yeah, a fresh Paul without experience with his ring and without knowledge of the setting would get murdered pretty fast by Omniman if he join the guardian of the globe.

23. Hell's Razer

Hell's Razer Passive Member

It is the form the loanword took when the English language raided the Greek language for medical words. ;)
    Pretty much 49.5% of medical jargon is ancient greek derived. The other 49.5% is latin derived. :D

The original greek word is "χειρουργείο" and is pronounced pretty similar to "chirurgy" except with an "o" sound appended at the end (not mentioned: the fact that the "χ" is supposed to be pronounced like the "h" in "hope" or "home" and that the "γ" is supposed to be pronounced similar to the "w" sound in "wave" or "warrior").
    The etymology of it is from the words "χείρ" (archaic word for hand) and "έργο" (work) and thus "χειρουργείο" quite literally translates to "handwork ".

24. WaleXdraK

Also it’s still used in french (there is no equivalent to Surgery) as Chirurgie.

25. Whenever Possible

Whenever Possible Versed in the lewd.

Medical care would be so much easier if everyone were Enlightened. None of this "finicky brain surgery" crap, you just kill them, grow a clone, and let their soul take possession of the new body. Much easier and more convenient.

26. Michael Vonica

Michael Vonica Know what you're doing yet?

I'm sure it's on Guy's to do list.

Cuchulin and mastermenthe like this.
  27. AidanMorgan

AidanMorgan Essentially Overworked

I am... CONCERNED.

But I'm also laughing my ass off because this was simultaneously set up perfectly and completely out of left field. I love it.

I'm just picturing Supergirl tearing through the New God fleet shouting "EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE EX-TER-MIN-ATE!"

28. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

Might need to revise the supergirl uniform if things go down that line.

[​IMG]

29. Threadmarks: Veganism (part 3)
    Mr Zoat

1st September 2012
    14:34 GMT

"You know, Barda…" I glance around at her and then turn back towards the main view screen. "Dear sister-in-law,-"

I don't have to look around to feel her shudder.

"-you don't have to follow me everywhere. With the greatest respect to you, I haven't adapted the Tamaranean ships to take advantage of New God abilities and as far as I know you've never been involved in fleet actions."

"That's not why I'm here."

"Would you care to explain, then?"

"I'm here in case you're up to something." I turn my head to look directly at her, then pointedly continue turning my head to take in the marines and Lanterns in the command centre, then drop my eyes to indicate my own rings, then return my gaze to her. "It was supposed to be Superman, but you managed to get him distracted."

She's currently showing him around the Doomsday. While I was going to ask Mr. Near to command it, she's… Actually turned out to be a complete natural. She doesn't have any military experience as far as Karsta and I can tell, but I suppose that the control interfaces are quite similar to the civilian ones she would have been used to. And the Dru-Zod neural clone serving as the ship's main computer isn't complaining about having a kryptonian in command.

"He's not exactly hard to influence. Though you might want to talk to one of the Green Lanterns about not picking Kara up earlier."

"I could see the scars on her face."

"And if she'd been naked then you'd have seen scars on every other part of her body as well. Kryptonians don't just grow body parts back like we do."

"What are you up to?" "Tell me or I will beat you with words until you tell me."

"Stuff." "Hah!"

The Hitchhiker's quote is overused, but it's true; the thing about space is, it's big. Even sending out Lanterns in every direction -something I don't particularly want to do, as I don't exactly have an unending supply of those- we could only cover a relatively small area. Our intelligence gathering within Vega is reasonable, as there are only allies and primitive worlds with listening posts left. But that's in actual systems; virtually all of the internal volume of the region is near-empty space and we're relying on emission detection systems that are merely good.

And that's not even starting on the more sparsely systemed universe outside of the Vega Moat.

I'm taking a large portion of the fleet and Orange Lantern Corps to do reconnaissance in force in the direction of the depopulated planet Artemis and Kanto found. We're not just boom tubing there for a number of reasons: it's a big fleet and making boom tubes big enough isn't exactly easy, Other Grayven might well detect it and the fact that since we don't know where the attacking fleet is we're having to scan as we go. So far we're detecting all of the signals we're expecting to, but that could change at any time.

If I'm really lucky, we'll encounter him and it'll turn out that he only has a tiny fleet with him, we'll destroy it to deny him his sovereign authority bonus and then I'll jump in in person and finish him off. Otherwise-

My ring glimmers.

-things could get interesting.

"Grayven here. Go ahead."

A face… Ah, yes, that's probably something I should have sorted out. Nice thing about living in Vega is that you don't have to deal with -or 'deal with'- Green Lanterns. Apparently our Sector only has one rather than the usual two for some reason, and since I've spent virtually all my time in Vega I haven't bothered having any contact with him.

"You're moving a large fleet into Sector Two Eight Two Eight. Explain yourself."

I could refuse-. Actually that's not a bad plan. He is unlikely to attack unless I start something with someone, and refusing to explain would probably prompt him to follow us. Which could be useful. On the other hand I'd feel obliged to him if he did step in, and having the Green Lanterns keeping out of Vega has been pretty convenient. They don't necessarily stop empire-builders, but…

Mm. But… No. I mean, it's not like the Green Lantern Corps doesn't know what I'm doing. Green Man can watch from outside, and the Two Eight One Four Lanterns have at least a rough idea.

"Looking for another version of myself. He's got a gordanian warfleet and he's heading this way to deal with me. There's a good chance-"

I send him the contents of our investigation of the now-empty world.

"-that he had something to do with this."

"Your records show no evidence that a gordanian fleet was involved."

"Other than the fact it's in a straight line route. But does it matter? If we find the people who depopulated this planet then we'll ask them some polite questions, and if I find my doppelgänger then we'll politely ask him to turn around, and if they're the same people then… Not much changes."

"I will accompany you to ensure that you remain… Polite."

"Okay, well done for being the only member of your species who understands euphemisms, but I only intend to be polite up to a point. My casus belli is either defence of another or self defence. If those are dealt with then I have no further reason to engage in aggression, but I will have them dealt with."

"You have come a long way from your territory for 'self defence'."

"What sort of fool lets an aggressor enter his territory when he can see them coming? There's nothing else for him in this region of space. But if it turns out that this is an unfortunate misunderstanding and not an attempt to slay me for sharing his face, then that's fine. I make an effort to get on well with my brothers."

I make a gesture of appeal to Barda, and she reluctantly nods.

"Your expressed objectives are reasonable. I will take part in any discussions to ensure that is all that happens."

"Fill your boots. Grayven out."

The face vanishes, though ring scan says that he's keeping pace with us.

"Captain, time to next planet?"

Obviously I know, but you've got to make sure that they're awake every so often, haven't you?

"Screening vessels are already there. We will emerge in two, one-."

Normal space reappears, and-.

That's a lot of ships.

That's a lot of big ships.

The sensor officer pulls up a summary with commendable speed.

"One hundred and two ships of dreadnought class by mass and power output. Four hundred seventeen battleship class by mass and power output. One thousand two hundred fifty cruiser class by mass and power output, along with that many again… I'm not sure, civilian ships?"

I nod. "Any of them Apokoliptian?"

She shakes her head. "None match known Apokoliptian ship types."

"That's a mercy."

Now, the simple fact that there are a lot of ships doesn't necessarily mean that we're outmatched, though on the face of things we're epically outmatched. Building big ships with big reactors isn't that hard; if their weapons and sensors aren't good enough just our Lantern complement could kite them indefinitely. But I'm not going wall to wall with a fleet that big.

"Alright, interdiction-." Captain Karras nods, having already activated them. "Good man. We'll sit back and get a very good look at how they perform. Lanterns, get outside and prepare to intercept. I-."

"My Lord!" The sensor officer pulls up an image of the planet they're menacing. "Look!"

Last edited: Aug 30, 2021
  30. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

"What are you up on?" "Tell me or I will beat you with words until you tell me."

"Stuff." "Hah!"

The only Godspeech in the update.