1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Charming as always renegade.

Maybe mention that it's Kara.

She is Kryptonian.

Plus with the Eradicator parts she may be an able combatant.

And New Gods can do that.

Maybe 'you up to'

Asshole.

Well with Scott.

The other two, not so much.

'just our'

2. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

No, that's correct.
    Thank you, corrected.

3. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Today on Renegade's long list of bad idea's...

Giving command of the most powerful battleship ever created to someone who's possessed by a genocidal energy computer...

Ngamer11 and FeepingCreature like this.
  4. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Ah, Renegade, you incorrigible troll. Even when you're trying to be nice, you can't help tweaking the nose of one of the few Justice League members capable of beating you up...

Oh, really? I know it's not a personal visit, after all.

...To be fair, that probably would have complicated things.

She being Kara, of course. Another bit of worry for her mental state, though. Surprised virtual Dru-Zod isn't annoyed by having an El in charge though.

He did tell them what she's been through, right?

As skilled as you are, Barda, I don't think you can use words that way. Not as easily as someone like Highfather Izaya.

So he's pretty much flying on a lien between Vega and Grayven-16's last known sighting, hoping to run into him. Probably safer to encounter him in deep space, at least. Less collateral damage to cause...

Hard to be quiet when your travel method can make a sound even in space. On the upside, he'll likely favour the same flight method for the same reasons.

Oh, bother. What's going on now? Because the Renegade doesn't get ring calls that often...

Odd that he has no partner. Is 2828-B a rookie still in boot camp? Or is he just that damn good he can solo it 24-7?

Not until they break one of the Guardian's prohibitions... Still, having Green backup might be useful if only to legitimise your position.

Odd that the Corps hasn't shown any sign of noticing. Sure, it could be because they're avoiding populated systems... But I can't see the Gordanians restraining themselves that well.

True, it might have been pure coincidence. But it's still noteworthy. Safe bet Green Man will be starting an investigation of his own when he gets time, if it turns out not to have been Grayven-16.

Aw, come on. It's just a little Deicide.

Well, besides 'the best defence is a good offence', Just consider how many other systems are between Grayven-16 and Vega? The deserted world might not be the only one, merely the first one noticed...

Ah, the fine Early Roman tradition of pre-emptive self-defence. No, seriously, that was a thing they did.

And he's probably obliged to try to stop Grayven-16's fleet from shooting if said git is the aggressor...

Not that any of them would be sleeping on the job. Not with their homeworld's safety at stake...

Already? Well, that didn't take long.

How amusing that these two are here... I wonder, is Karras here to try to make a name for himself, and Tariya followed him because love...

...Civilian ships? I doubt Grayven-16's fleet would have such a luxury...

Definitely not Grayven-16's fleet, then. But who, then?

Hmm... What a nasty cliffhanger.

Alrighty then... Likelihood of this being a race displaced by Grayven-16's fleet? Some other raiding power? Just a random fluke? I guess we'll see in the next chapter. I'm sure it'll be lively.

Godspeech for our invisitext-challenged brethren

Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
  5. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He's not very bright.

Zod may be a bastard, but he may not have any prejudice against people based on their house or family.

Or he may not view Kara as an El due to the whole Eradicator thing.

She just may.

Highfathers name is Izaya, not Himon.

Himon is one of the scientists behind the creation of the Mother and Father Boxes.

Green Man may be extremely skilled, seeing as he's next to Vega

Unless Actual Grayven is keeping a tight leash on them.

They may be carrying colonists for his new territories.

We know Grayven has an Apokaliptian ship, but the other ships may just be powerful but non Apokoliptian ships.

6. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

The other guy is a person who has a cultural belief of never going back to wherever you've been to before. He's basically a space drifter/gypsy.

7. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

'it was forced'

8. Mr Zoat

His partner is Lantern Gretti, who refused to give up his nomadic lifestyle when he joined the Corps. That was why SI Guy Gardner called him a flake. In the comics, the Guardians eventually get annoyed by that and tell him to quit or stay in his lane.
    Or be troop transports.
    Thank you, corrected.

9. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

No no, that simply won't do.

Opportunity deserves more for their service to mankind then to be shoved into some museum, destined to be gather dust as onlookers point and gawk.

We shall build a great city, one to rival all the grandest of Earth a thousand time over, and at its center shall be Opportunity, upon the same Martian soil that one of our dearest mechanical children sent its last message. And one day, perhaps, we will bring them back to this mortal coil, uplifted to think as man does, free to bask in the world they helped make.

What do you mean that would only make sense in a sci-fi with copious amounts of suspension of disbelief? This is a perfectly practical plan that has absolutely no holes what-so-ever!

10. jasonh23761

jasonh23761 Not too sore, are you?

I am totally onboard with this!

11. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

One that's loyal to the House of El and this isn't Injustice Superman.

Xmaster3000 and TopHatWearer like this.
  12. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

The Eradicator's idea of loyalty to the House of El included brainwashing Superman, trying to murder Pa Kent, and trying to kill Krypto.

That's the kind of loyalty one can do without.

13. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

That's sounds like Superman's problem not Grayven.

Xmaster3000, Ardy and Bud-E like this.
  14. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Unless the Eradicator decides renegade doesn't serve the Kryptonian cause anymore, then it can become his problem.

Cuchulin, Xmaster3000 and Vorian like this.
  15. Threadmarks: Veganism (part 4)
    Mr Zoat

1st September 2012
    14:38 GMT

Some of the ships marked as 'probably not warships' have entered low orbit, which suggests that they're either troop transports or dedicated bombardment vessels. But instead of releasing drop pods, assault shuttles or kinetic harpoons they appear to be releasing…

Grey snakes?

They're about an inch long, and from the way they're squirming in the air it looks like they've got some sort of flight ability. Like Thread in the Pern series, they're cascading down-.

Scans of the parts of the planet which the snake deployment ships have already passed over show that the snakes have grown larger, metre long, ten metre long, hundred metre long monstrosities as they chase down and gorge themselves on the locals. A lucky shot from a battery of muzzle-loading cannons manages to down one of the larger ones, only for its fellows to swoop down and consume it, growing larger as they do so.

And where they pass… No living creatures remain.

Well then. Explains that.

"Grayven to fleet. We're going to prevent an extermination campaign."

Something I know the Tamaraneans can get behind. Though I'd try to stop it anyway.

"Boom tubes stand by to evacuate civilians on my signal. Lanterns Caeras, Cwn'r and Lovind'r will accompany me to the surface to cover the evacuation. Otherwise, standing orders remain in effect."

Three Lanterns who lost family to gordanian bombardments after the conquest and who would die before allowing further civilian casualties.

I deactivate fleetwide communications and look at Barda.

"I assume that you'll accompany me down."

She hefts her mega rod.

"Try to stop me."

"Captain Karras, keep me apprised. You have the ship. Mother Box, boom tube… " No.. No. "There."

"Ping."

Some locals nearby, plenty of medium sized snakes and a few giant ones a little further away. A pleasant escalation. And if an Olympian puts in an appearance, Diana's a boom tube away.

BOOM!

But I don't draw my sword. Not yet.

Instead I walk through, arms folded Darkseid-style behind my back and an expression of mild irritation on my face.

The change when I cross the threshold is immediate, the terror of a dying civilisation all around me.

It reminds me of what the Weaponer who forged me did to generate the requisite level of fear, Lantern Grayven.

Let me know if-

A fifty centimetre long snake slams into the environmental shield covering my left shoulder. I manifest a kingsnake construct and have the interloper consumed. Barda steps around me and charges.

-you detect anyone trying to repeat the feat.

Certainly, Lantern Grayven, though I suggest allowing them to finish and then taking it from them in their moment of triumph for greatest psychological effect.

Well duh.

BOOM!

Lanterns Cwn'r and Lovind'r fly through the boom tube, rings blazing as I make a point of intercepting the small snakes with constructs of my own.

"Maintain shields around the locals and call in boom tubes to evacuate them."

"Yes Lord!" / "Yes sir!"

Cwn'r flies upward, taking in the environment before generating a dome shield to ward the snakes off the general area. Lovind'r flies directly towards the locals huddled in a nearby building.

"This way! We have an escape route!"

The locals look like skinny minotaurs, humanoid bodies topped by elongated horn wreathed heads, and their fears are making intercepting the metallic air snakes far easier than would otherwise be the case. The mid-sized ones form up into a swarm, and I retaliate by creating a giant kingsnake and having it swallow them whole.

The snakes appear to have no ranged weapons and only basic mental abilities. Too simple-minded to feel fear themselves.

BOOM!

Lantern Lovind'r maintains a local barrier as the locals recover themselves sufficiently to hurry through the boom tube.

"Grayven to Karras. Any response from the fleet?"

"Additional warships have begun moving towards your location."

Barda activates her aero-discs and swoops to intercept a mid-sized snake poised to attack the would-be evacuees.

"Any direct communication?"

"No. Do you want to communicate with them?"

"I'd like information, but-" The big snake finishes munching on a panicking musket platoon and turns in my direction. "-I don't think there's anything I particularly want to say-"

A mid-sized snake rams Cwn'r's barrier and causes a small breach, wriggling through as he repairs it. The snake then zooms towards him-

BOOM!

-and is split in half by a beam of orange light from Caeras as she flies in.

"-to them at this juncture." I turn to Lantern Lovind'r. "Clear?"

He nods. "Yes, sir."

"Lantern Caeras, destroy incoming snakes. Lovind'r and Cwn'r, as you-"

A large snake explodes through a nearby hill, undulating through the air towards me!

"-are."

I reach back and draw my daiklave.

"Proceed from the closest concentration of locals and evacuate them. Call me-"

The snake lunges at me, poison fangs longer than my entire body arching towards me as it turns its head sideways to bite me!

"-if-"

I swing my blade, slicing through both fangs before impaling its upper jaw upon the tip of my blade. With my left hand I catch the bottom jaw and hold as the beast writhes, trying and failing to close its jaw around me.

"-you encounter an obstacle that you cannot overcome."

I step back, shifting my grip to slam the two jaws shut and hold them closed. I then form a muzzle construct and bind its head and step back further as it writhes impotently in its bonds.

A construct guillotine blade puts it out of its misery a moment later.

"Now."

Last edited: Aug 30, 2021
  16. Diraniola

Diraniola I trust you know where the happy button is?

Broken tag

17. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Bioweapons maybe?

Yep, biopweapons.

So this is how he killed that entire civilization.

They don't like evil people.

And nice to know you'd help these people either way.

'mild'

Yeah, Kalmin killed a civilization to make a ring.

18. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Grey snakes + Olympian...

Medusa? Hecate?

It's weird Grayven doesn't note if they are mystical ir nanotech or whatever.

19. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

20. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Nope, it's Diana's space aunt.

Given New God tech, they could be both.

21. rkyeun

rkyeun Cabbitus Maximus

This seems like a prime opportunity to assimilate snakes and command them to eat and assimilate other snakes and then warships.

22. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Definitely some manner of bioweapon. No doubt the fleet has some manner of recalling them whenever they've finished... Whatever they're intending to do. Though given this planet's location relative to the deserted planet... That purpose seems clear.

...I'm reminded of Tyranid Ripper Swarms. Though they lack the size-changing properties. Either some manner of biological function powered by those they consume, or a magical equivalent.

Gruesome as the concept is, yes, yes it does. Presumably they intend to cover the planet with them, then retrieve them later.

Indeed. Given they've already committed one at the Renegade's command...

So plenty of desire to prevent it happening to others.

As if she'd pass up a chance for a good scrap in the defence of innocents?

And she gets to take some frustrations over the Renegade out on things that she can feel perfectly justified in killing. Bonus!

Given how many places are under attack, I can't imagine how one spot is better than any other...

Bets on said Amazon appearing in the next few chapters, folks?

Ah, the 'I can't believe I had to come here personally. Someone is about to have a bad day.' pose.

To wit: Causing an entire planet to feel overwhelming fear, via unknown means, thus allowing them to forge it into a Ring. Weaponers: Never doing things by halves.

I honestly doubt this is such a case. This whole snake thing seems too... Inefficient for a Weaponer plan, too uncontrolled.

Though that would likely condemn a world to dying of fear...

Depending on the technology of the natives, this must seem like Gods coming to their aid... Which it technically is. :D

A pity he couldn't bring more than a handful down with him... But then, that's what Boom Tubes are for. And if a quartet of Lanterns, including the field commander, can't handle this, then things are up shit creek without a paddle.

No doubt the insides of the construct are a mass of grinding walls... At least he's getting boosted by the locals fears.

Any port in a storm, and all that. Better going with these strangers than dying.

Guess they're not happy about having company. On the upside, that means a good chance of taking prisoners to interrogate.

If they aren't talking, then there's little point in trying.

Sloppy, Lantern!

Be thankful for the save. I doubt getting eaten by these things would be pleasant.

So, all local survivors rescued. On to another area, or wait for the attackers...

Meh, he can take it.

Ah, the Renegade's going to act as bait for the backup.

The joy of super-strength.

Though I suspect they'd be loath to admit defeat like that, I take it they're wise enough to know when they're outclassed...

Ah, Renegade. Stylish as ever.

So, the mystery of the depopulated planet is kind of solved. No doubt Lantern Green Man is taking his own defensive actions elsewhere to protect the natives. And with ships coming down to deal with the interlopers, there's plenty of opportunities to find out what's really going on.

A hint of Godspeech:

23. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Suckers bet.

Ehh, it probably isn't a Weaponer, but New Gods do have some knowledge of power rings.

Renegade was able to modify his Lantern with help from Father Box.

Je might still not be here.

He and renegade finished talking just a few moments ago in universe time.

24. AmericanNumbers

AmericanNumbers Not too sore, are you?

I do love the stark contrast between Paragon comitting genocide by himself and the Renegade preventing one as part of a team that includes the Justice League.

I've been thinking for a while that the story Grayven gives about his origin ("I threw myself to the bleed to escape the Anti-Life") is so close to the actual zero state of Paul in outcome as to not matter if it's true or not.

Basically, I think Paul at the point he starts is a perfect vessel for New God ascension and the Renagade and the Paragon are the 2 extremes of that.

Grayven basically ascended thru the Father Box and is essentially to Darkseid as Athena is to Zeus: the son of his mind (and isn't it really interesting that Darkseid seems to want him to overcome the Anti Life). He's Conquest but really with a strong dose of civilization building.

Paragon path was thru the Tatoos, the orange light, eris and the Ophydian. And we know he can hear Godspeech so he's a god (and i think Hades also intimated it). So where Grayven is conquest, what's Paragon? He's the child of Need and Chaos so is he the god of Change? Given how his uplift program that tracks but he's also prone to causing dramatic violent upheaval so again also tracks.

And it's playing out in these Wars.

Makes me wonder what it's gonna look like when and if we get parallel versions of the Rock of Ages storyline (which given its Grant Morrison I'm guessing chances are good ).

25. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

I wonder how strong it is compared to other yellow rings.

26. Sordid Snake

Sordid Snake (Verified Viper)

Paulwen plays 4X while Original Grayven plays RTS: "Pop out some barracks a shipyard a snake creche: snakeling rush kekekeke"

27. Mr Zoat

There proper name is 'providers'.

28. theaceoffire

theaceoffire Versed in the lewd.

I'm just super happy that it wasn't the flood!

Because if it was the gravemind, I'd have freaked.

29. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

That's Paragon thing and it can end horribly wrong if you are not careful.

30. Impartial Panic

Impartial Panic I trust you know where the happy button is?

Grayven is Conquest, Paul is Revolution.