1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

You've asked this question before. :p

The response was:
    At least in this continuity, domains aren't an automatic thing for New Gods. Neither Knockout nor Barda actually bear the title "New God of _____" -- I can't actually find where the Renegade ever said anything about it. (At best, there may have been an offhanded comment in a non-story post.)

It's also not a specific title that's obviously plastered on the character unless they're trying to make a point of it like the Renegade does -- he was even doubting Kanto's domain title.

Milli-Ions and milli-Ions!

2. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I think it was when Diana 50 heard his God-Speech.

Otto von Saurion likes this.
  3. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Thanks. I honestly forgot that I already asked this.

quietwhile likes this.
  4. Threadmarks: Veganism (part 6)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

1st September 2012
    14:44 GMT

I smile.

"So you've met my lesser half? Where is he, anyway?"

Mother Box, ping Diana.

Ping.

Yes, if she wasn't Olympian, I could just leave. Unfortunately, she's got just enough divinity about her that she could match my shout, which means that she counts and I don't want to take the hit from backing down.

"He has designs on Vega. I want to see what strength Vega has produced."

"You just want a fight? You should have said! I'd have saved you the journey and come to you!"

I raise my hands out to the sides in a gesture of appeal.

"Why the cold shoulder? You clearly don't have any problem working with me."

"You aren't Grayven, the Ascendant God of Conquest. I felt the stygian power of Apokolips on him. Beneath your rings, you have nothing of note."

"Oh, I used to have Anti-Life, but I got some ponies to remove it with the power of friendship. I feel much happier in myself now." I lower my hands. "But since you've turned up and he hasn't, we might as well get this started. Who are you, anyway?" "And what is it that is written here?"

"I am Captain Astarte of the Citizenry. And who are you?"

"Grayven, obviously." Conquest.

She presses something on her gun, and the interior begins glowing orange.

"Liar."

"Not every name's unique. There are multiple parallel universes, and I've encountered at least one version of 'me' who wasn't this me, and… Desaad could have easily doubled us. I mean…" I shrug, as Barda flies up behind her at speed. "I don't remember him doing that, but I was away for a whi-"

Astarte twists as Barda swings at her, mega rod whistling past the Olympian's left shoulder as she moves the barrel of her gun to point at Barda's chest and fires!

END.

Orange Kirby dots form a corona around the muzzle and I'm astonished to feel real fear from Barda before the orange beam strikes her in the chest! Energy flares and Barda goes down, a thin plume of smoke rising from her body.

"U-ugh."

"Still alive?"

War Prize.

Astarte lowers her gun and holds out her right hand, Barda's mega rod flying into it. "A respectable display. You will be permitted to take part in the trials. Though if you don't-"

She kicks Barda in the chest, sending her flying twelve metres before Barda lands and rolls bonelessly to a halt. Yes, her chestplate barely even survived that.

"-recover, your participation will be short."

Huh. Okay. Mildly impressive that she subverted Barda's weapon like that, but it was an Apokoliptian weapon. That gun was more impressive, as was the speed of her reaction to Barda's approach. The blast looked a lot like the Omega Effect in gun form, which… Shouldn't be possible. The Omega Force killed a lot of high-tier Apokoliptians before Uxas finally succeeded in merging with it. Containing it and directing it are not simple matters.

I also need to keep my sister-in-law alive. It didn't sound like Astarte planned on killing her, but I find it's not a good idea to assume things with lunatic space warlords.

Somewhere behind me I dimly note the 'boom' of the boom tube opening and the refugees flooding through in as well-ordered a fashion as my Lanterns can manage to organise.

"Did the other Grayven build that for you? I've been focusing on making armour for my followers. Haven't really experimented with that sort of exotic weapon."

"Studying him aided us, but this technology is ours."

"Interesting." I raise my daiklave slightly. "I'll look forwards to studying it."

"Will you?" Blades Quail.

The glowing tron lines on my sword flicker and then fail, the blade itself falling apart as if they had been cut lines.

I just can't keep one of these in-

Astarte leaps, stolen mega rod swinging for me as I dart back on my aero-discs.

-one-

She lunges again, and the awkward directional shift forces me to use chains to pull on her arm and redirect her swing. She overextends, but blocks most of my retaliatory punch with her gun. She's forced back slightly and I get confirmation that she can't fly, but she twists to threaten me with the rod and I pull back slightly.

-piece for five minutes.

Stealing weapons, breaking weapons. Some sort of weapon goddess? Or demi-goddess? Did Hephaestus and Athena have a daughter they don’t talk about in company? No, a mortal and a god.

Scan her genes.

Unable to comply.

Fair enough, but-.

END.

Orange light lances out and I shoot skyward, the beam pursuing and rapidly gaining! What blocks the Omega Effect what blocks the Omega Effect? I take an armoured panel out of subspace and throw it behind me as I viff, switching from vertical to lateral movement.

This was a lot more fun when I was doing it to Kara In-Ze.

The Omega Effect-. Punches through the panel and redirects itself without apparent difficulty, coming after me.

Okay, but the beam's still coming from the gun. I generate construct missiles and fire at Astarte while flying towards the closest medium-sized snake, because ducking behind a parademon worked for Batman 12 and I'm hoping that the same applies here.

And ping Diana again!

Ping.

Astarte sees the missiles coming and braces. Is she locked in place? Confident in her resilience? In my weakness? Well let's add just a little of my fear of Darkseid and see what-

I don't feel fear from her. But in the moment before they hit she looks a little less sure of herself.

-happens.

Yellow explosions envelop the area she was standing in, hopefully blocking her line of sight as I grab a snake and throw it head first at-

Pffzzap!

-the Omega Beam. Success! The beam vanishes as the snake explodes, but the force of the explosion is easy to manage. Below me, Astarte walks steadily out of the dust cloud, a little singed but basically in one piece. Soon fix-

BOOM!

-that-.

Diana flies at Astarte fists first and knocks her into the sky!

Or not.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
  5. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Some Godspeech!

6. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'said that'

'working'

True.

I can just picture her looking at him with a blank stare thinking WTF.

Also true.

'succeeded'

Seeing as Actually Grayven has the Effect he may have given some of it to them.

Or this could just be a regular energy weapon that looks like the Omega Effect.

The Omega Effect basically looks like red energy beams.

I think Heph or Plutos mentioned Hippolyta could control weapons to some degree, so Astarte is probably the daughter of Ares.

It's always more fun when you have an advantage.

7. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

work -> working

[/i]
    bean -> beam

8. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

In the comics, Astarte is the sister of Hippolyta, who herself is the daughter of Ares. I guess Astarte fought more than Hippolyta did thanks to not being on Themyscira, giving her the chance to learn new tricks.

9. Mr Zoat

No, that's correct.
    Thank you, corrected.

10. Chojin Patriarch

Hmm... Working for Grayven-16, or merely avoiding him? Clearly they've met. The more important question is, can the Renegade bring her into the fold, make her an ally? I suppose it all depends on the next few minutes...

Yes, I think she's going to want to see this shit. Bet she'll be dashing to the nearest Boom Tube point as soon as she's told.

Looking for a good fight, I see. That's one thing she can bond with Diana over.

I'm sure there's more to it than that. If she isn't allied with Grayven-16, she's probably hoping for a safe haven for her people.

I see she has much more refined god-senses than the Forever morons. And most other New Gods, who seem to have taken the Renegade at his word so far. Then again, Darkseid has basically backed him... His word probably carries much weight, and much baggage.

o_O "And what was that about ponies? Are you a madman as well as a liar?"

No, Renegade... You probably haven't realised it, but I think you are Acquisition. It's easy to confuse for Conquest, I suppose...

Ah, playing the buffoon to serve as a distraction. Smart, Renegade.

Damn, she's good. If she is the daughter of Ares and Ortrera, as Hippolyta is, then she must have been developing her abilities of War...

Fascinating. Not avarice, or he would have perceived it as such. The Kirby Dots are a signature of New God tech, too.

Ouch, I don't think Barda's going to be happy about losing her weapon...

...When she wakes up. Damn, this could be an actual challenge for the Renegade.

Nothing saying it isn't some lesser form of it, some offshoot like the energy Orion commands.

At least they're still on task. Be glad they haven't leapt into the fray by your side.

True, the Citizenry do have advanced tech. Said to rival the Guardians, by some. I'm not surprised that they can replicate Divine weaponry...

...Okay, now that's just rude, trashing a man's blade like that... Definitely getting a feeling of War God from her from her Godspeech.

Focus, Renegade. Forget the sword, try to keep your hide intact.

Something of an oversight. Though I suspect it's because she enjoys the challenge...

Wrong god, Renegade. Remember the history of the Amazons?

Because Magic. Of course she's shielded from mundane means of analysis. Time for Mother Box?

When's the last time the Renegade found himself this pressed by a foe? He's so used to being the stronger party, isn't he?

Oh, that's just prime...

He had the superior plot armour of being BATMAN. You only have that of being the protagonist. And in this Divine Narrative, that isn't as strong as it might seem.

"Be patient, She's on her way to a Boom tube chamber now."

Reinforcing her implacability? Handy technique. Though not completely refined, I see.

Likelihood of her being unharmed when the smoke clears: 99%. Tropes for the win.

Yep, basically unharmed.

Ah, here comes backup.

Niece, meet auntie.

Well, this promises to be quite the family reunion. I wonder if this will force Diana to tap into the Titanic heritage earned from her birth. And perhaps when the fight's done, the Renegade can make a case for her joining his forces... After all, she leads a nomadic people. What better carrot to gain her and their service than a world of their own? And Vega no doubt has many of them to spare...

'Astarte' and a double space.

11. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

The sentence separated by dashes reads like: I just can't keep one of these in--one--intact for five minutes.
    Maybe: I just can't keep one of these--intact-- for five minutes.
    Or: I just can't keep--one of these--intact for five minutes.

Should be Batman 12 If you mean Justice League Unlimited Batman.

12. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

The Forever People were fairly young so they may not have developed their powers to the fullest.

Barda may not have really trained her senses and focused more on pure combat.

Scott may not have had the chance to develop his powers to the fullest due to his harsh childhood.

The others may not have looked too deep or simply didn't care.

The answer to both those questions is yes.

Though given she comes from ancient Greece she may have met various magical beings like centaurs, so magical ponies may not be all that weird.

Renegade doesn't need to play buffoon, he is one.

He may not know about it.

Eris didn't tell him anything and he doesn't care about them all that much.

You forgot to add 'you fucking potato'.

Abridged Red Tornado would be so disappointed.

Well, more disappointed.

Ahh, family reunions.

A divine Greek family reunion.

It's like a Primarch one.

Awful, awkward and an atrocity upon family values.

13. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

That's a knockout punch to his metaphysics.

Just because your fake memories tell you something doesn't mean it's true...

Which should mean under Zoat's rules for New God's that Renegade lost.

But I am going to guess Zoat will conveniently forget that.

Otto von Saurion and zeebza like this.
  14. AmericanNumbers

AmericanNumbers Not too sore, are you?

Interesting.

Astarte is reading like a way more powered up version than the original appearance. Throw in MulletGrayven and the Omega effect I'm wondering if we are about to get Grail and a version of the Darkseid War.

15. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Zoat hates the n52, so don't expect to see Grail.

Prince Charon and Mr Zoat like this.
  16. mastermenthe

mastermenthe Mint Thistle

Do you really believe that or is this just snarkasm?
    Because I really like that theory.

17. AmericanNumbers

Hmm. A man of taste.
    I like some of the new 52 stuff but I get the overall hate.
    I do think this is nowhere close to the Simone WW amazons in space thing at the moment.

Prince Charon and Mr Zoat like this.
  18. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

19. Chojin Patriarch

No snark. While I can't point to any specific examples of it, it's the general feeling of the way he gathers people to him. There's none of the domination you would expect from, say, the real Grayven. The Renegade has followers and allies, not subjects and servants.

By the same extent, he cares more deeply for what he considers his. Could you see Mullet-boy working with the commoners to improve their conditions, or focusing his efforts on developing a close ally's abilities as something outside of a useful asset.

It also fits a lot better with his beginnings with the Orange Light. Certainly, he got darker after acquiring Father Box, and later Ringnestro, but underneath it, he's the same man who feels offended by the world acting a certain way, and has the power to take action to fix it. He makes a thing his, and improves it as best he can.

Hence the easy confusion with Conquest. And I am probably not articulating it well, but that about sums it up...

BR549, Caerwen, Vorian and 13 others like this.
  20. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Though Actually Grayven has shown some good qualities.

Or at least his Universe 50 self did.

After renegade hit him and that Tamaranean woman with Anti Life, Grayven opened a boom tube and took her with him, even though she'd likely be of no use, demonstrating some loyalty towards his subordinates.

zeebza and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  21. AmericanNumbers

I think he might be more Growth than Aquisition.
    Darkseid clearly had a goal in mind when he let the Father Box work on his soul. And then when he gave him the Anti Life to overcome.

Wait. If Paragon is Revolution then I think Renegade is Evolution

And that fits since he's evolved his closest retinue to better form (Sunset, Luna, Circe, Artemis).

22. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

I'd argue that kind of pressure would force him to develop his powers as much as possible in order to survive. He's the New God of Freedom and escaped Apokalips, after all (though I'm not sure if he evaded Darkseid or the latter didn't care). And he's done pretty impressive things in both the Renegade and Paragon timelines (notably countering a powered-up angel's theurgy in the latter).

Renegade explains his own articulation of conquest somewhere- his goals and his people's goals becoming one, and things like that. There can be multiple ways to embody a concept, especially an abstract one like most New God domains tend to be.

Astarte seems to imply that she and the presumable-Citizenry were able to make that Omega Gun just from studying Grayven's use of the Omega Effect, which is impressive. Not sure how much of that is facilitated by her metaphysical abilities over weapons and instruments of war due to her presumable heritage as the daughter of Ares; I don't know anything about the Citizenry but I feel like you'd need to have a level of divinity or metaphysical power to be able to use the Omega Effect in any way. I doubt Hippolyta has the same level of proficiency both because Themyscira's been at peace for millennia and no Amazon (from the island) is a fan of the god, so she'd probably be reluctant to use her divine abilities. I know Renegade noted her soul-structures were interesting, but I'm not sure if that's just being a demigod or something else; as the Queen of the Amazons she might have gotten additional blessings and empowerments from the Olympian goddesses.
    While Diana's metaphysically similar to New Gods, she still feels different if you take the time to compare the two; Orana presumably should feel like a 'regular' New God since she used the Awakening, but I'm not sure if the Themysciran blessings she'd receive from being on the island would affect her metaphysically (though she's been out and about away from the island so those probably aren't a factor).
    If Astarte has remained 'just' a demigoddess, would Awakening work on her and give her even more room for growth? I'm also wondering the same for the daughters of Heracles and Hippolyta herself, though I don't expect that scenario to be likely. I predict they would just start at a higher level of divinity than newly Awakened New Gods like Renegade-Artemis and Aqualad, but both would have the same potential maximum power level, of sorts.
    It would be nice to give Philippus the Orana treatment and give her divinity, to better make her a partner for Hippolyta, but that's not likely on the Renegade side and the Paragon side doesn't have the know-how (or rather, they do, given the Key is a thing, but no one seems to have capitalized on it. With Grayven being a possible concern in that timeline too, might be worth having the Sivanas or Atlantis take a look at any remnants of the New God tech they were using in Saudi Arabia; I forget if the Key was killed or just captured). Seeing an omake with a Violet Lantern Paul actually getting Hippolyta and Phillipus together (or having Ghi'ata actually do something impressive that's love-related in either the Paragon or Renegade timelines and get them to admit their feelings and start an actual relationship) would be nice. Maybe the Eros-Paragon will have encounter with Eros himself and get to work on that. Eris should also approve of the shaking up of the status quo (even further).

It looks like Diana beat Astarte in New Earth continuity, so I imagine the same might happen here (though seeing Diana grow into her divinity more like people have suggested would also be good). Wonder if her bracers can deflect or block the Omega Gun, so I hope we'll see that interaction.

23. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

They know he was a human that was made into a New God, but they may not know the exact details of how it's done.

They captured him.

Highfarher was last reported to be trying to get rid of the AL Equation in him.

Otto von Saurion and DrThoth like this.
  24. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

If he's being studied on New Genesis, I feel like they could plausibly figure out the process. Though whether they'll share that knowledge with people from Earth is a different matter entirely.

I do hope we actually get to see Highfather at some point. Apokalips might be a long-term goal for the OLC but setting the groundwork now by getting a meeting with him would be good (I'm thinking of the Paragon here; Renegade might want to but that'll probably be a far tougher sell, especially after meeting Orion, and I think Paragon Mister Miracle met Highfather offscreen when the League rescued the Forever People from Apokalips).

Otto von Saurion likes this.
  25. JamesEye

JamesEye Not too sore, are you?

Thanks for showing the Godspeech. I would definitely have missed a bunch of stuff without comment leavers like you helping out. Thanks.

26. SaltyWaffles

SaltyWaffles I trust you know where the happy button is?

Not sure how that qualifies? She never managed to even scratch him. Hell, he achieved first blood before Diana even showed up.

Plus, I'm not too keen on your take on "Zoat's rules for New Gods" without some direct citation.

Vorian and Otto von Saurion like this.
  27. quietwhile

quietwhile Getting out there.

Idk if space nomadism is different somehow but AFAIK nomadism is the opposite of owning land/worlds. We developed our current concept of possession/owning lands when our ancestors stopped roaming around hunting and gathering and settled for being farmers.
    Which incidentally is what made war as we know it possible, same for conquest now that I think of it.. I might be overthinking this but I wonder if her godhood is somehow connected to that. Maybe a concept of war separated from conquest/colonialism, like taking what you want and moving on?

Chojin Patriarch likes this.
  28. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

She defeated someone who was directly working under him, and then pressed him to the point he was forced to call in outside help from someone who wasn't directly working under him.

Radix and Otto von Saurion like this.
  29. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

I can tell I stayed up too late last night because there wasn't a new update for me when I got up in the morning.

30. Otto von Saurion

Otto von Saurion Father of Wetlands

Good so far, but you forgot to address the second point: direct citation of “Zoat’s rules for New Gods.”