1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Considering Darkseid has always weaponized fear, I don't see the point.

2. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

According to Talia, Ras may have been a Zoroastrian, or at least like to decorate his room in some Zoriastrian symbols, so he may have ended up wherever Zoroastrians go when they did.

Orm is either now in Tartarus or given where he died he may be in the same prison as Oceanus, assuming it's separate from Tartarus.

Plus even if Diana has a greater potential that Astarte due to her being part Titan, Astarte has like three thousand years worth of experience over Diana in using her divine powers.

I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to imply here.

If you mean that their weapon won't be of any help against Darkseid, then I don't think it matters since I don't think they ever expressed an interest in fighting Darkseid, either in this story or in the canon material.

If you mean that building a Light weapon is not that impressive when Darkseid has done it, then I'd counter that by saying that them building a weapon is like a child solving a college level math problem.

Yes, thousands of other people have solved said problem before, but none of them were children.

Darkseid is an ancient godlike being, so him building a Light weapon or something like that is pretty much domestic expected.

The Citizenry are nomadic cannibalistic psychopaths, so them figuring out how to manipulate a piece of the Light Spectrum is impressive.

3. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

My point was that it wouldn't help to fight GLs as they have better weapons of the same thing, and that because Darkseid rules by fear weapons based on Willpower are like giving fire powers to someone who lives in water.

4. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

You didn't mention the GLC in you previous post.

Also as I mentioned previously, there is no indication in either this story or in the comics that the Citizenry wants to fight Darkseid.

Otto von Saurion and Ardy like this.
  5. Radix

Radix Not too sore, are you?

Shouldnt Paragon know about the Rann attack?

I mean the Reach was at the trial on Rimbor. So it should be possible to learn about the assault. Especially given ot involved a GL. Why dont the Guardians know about it?

6. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

I'm not Pink, don't even play Pink on TV, but I think the thought process is based on Grayven from the comic books- His driving goal is to conquer Apokalips.

Not that it matters, since Zoat was talking about an incident in the comics and in the comics the Citizenry would probably go "Grayven who?" like everyone else.

Lord Ernest and Otto von Saurion like this.
  7. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I think Rimbor was in a fairly isolated part of the galaxy, so other people would have a difficult time of figuring out what happened.

The Guardians aren't omniscient or omnipresent, so they wouldn't automatically know what has happened.

Power rings can also be vulnerable to magic, so the mind control method, which utilized magic as well as a creature that once fought the GLC, may have somehow tampered with the rings ability to record things.

The Reach may also not know about it.

And even if they do know about it I don't see why any of the Reach Paul has dealt with so far would know about it or have records about it.

Otto von Saurion likes this.
  8. AmericanNumbers

AmericanNumbers Not too sore, are you?

Oh. So it's some sort of in cannon god power that let's them copycat Maltusian tech and the Omega effect. Magical god hacks for the Win.

9. Michael Vonica

Michael Vonica Know what you're doing yet?

When Paragon met up with all of his alternate copies, how in depth was their note trading? Did they try to get future knowledge for each of their franchises, like telling Raul that the big bad in Teen Titans was going to be Trigon? Because if the original Paul knew about the general plot of Young Justice before his transfer, it shouldn't have been too hard to first, have some of the Pauls realize that he's from Young Justice, and second, have them tell him that, in the future, he'll probably have to deal with more dumb evil plots from the Light, an alien invasion and attempted takeover by the Reach, and that the Justice League were made to attack an alien planet. Honestly, they couldn't have told him anything really ground breaking, and all of these are things that he's already dealing with or easily capable of dealing with, but a little heads up is always nice.

Cuchulin likes this.
  10. Stsword

Well maybe here, since Zoat likes making things magic.

But in the comics they just reverse engineered the technology.

After their snakes ate the green lantern they encased cities in green force fields, their ships shot green energy blasts, they outfitted their warriors with rifles that shot green energy and personal green force fields over their armor.

Wonder Woman stole a bracer blaster and shot several of the Citizenry in the head using their own glow tech against them.

Cuchulin and Wetbananas like this.
  11. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I know some if them shared some info, but it may not have been all that much and not everyone may have gotten the info.

Some of them may have been sent back to their worlds before they could get anything.

12. Michael Vonica

Michael Vonica Know what you're doing yet?

Not to mention that there is only so much room in one's mind to fill with obscure DC knowledge, and a very large multiverse of places for the Paul's to end up in.

Vorian likes this.
  13. Radix

Radix Not too sore, are you?

Rimbor was famous enough for the Kroleteans to hear about it. Not to mention the isolationish Rannians.

And the Reach definitely knew about it as it was what drew both then and the Kroleteans to Earth.

Cuchulin likes this.
  14. AmericanNumbers

AmericanNumbers Not too sore, are you?

What I'm saying is that a nomadic band of pirates shouldn't be able to reverse engineer Maltusian tech or the Omega effect unless it's an effect of their God magic over weapons.

Cuchulin likes this.
  15. Stsword

Amazo was able to emulate Superman, Martian Manhunter, Flash, and Captain Atom in Young Justice.

Why would you think that emulating a power ring would be any more difficult than emulating kryptonian solar powers, Martian psychic powers, the Flash's (in this fic) magic speed, or Captain Atom's connection to the Quantum Field?

Especially since the alt.Paul Peter exists in the world where AMAZO did exactly that.

Cuchulin and Wetbananas like this.
  16. Tzeentch

Tzeentch I trust you know where the happy button is?

I hope we'll see more of Paul hanging out the 2002 Masters of The Universe. I imagine it would be more "Pro He-Man" than what Netflix has provided...

Lord Ernest and Bud-E like this.
  17. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

What is the tool? Is she calling him the tool? Is she the tool? This escapes me a little bit.

18. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Keep in mind Zoat nerfed Amazo by a large amount in this story.

Cuchulin likes this.
  19. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Zoat said that Rimbor was in an area of space the Kroloteans controlled, do of course they'd hear about it, but that doesn't mean others would.

The Reach only came to Earth five years after the attack on Rimbor, so they may still not know about it.

And again, even if the Reach know about it there's no reason the Reach Paul has met would know about it or have it on their records.

20. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Citation? Because last time I checked Amazo was just kind of trash compared to the other versions in Young Justice anyways.

KenNM and Cuchulin like this.
  21. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Oh he was kind of trash.

But Zoat made him more trash. Instead of copying power rings he just had him fake it with forcefield.

KenNM and Cuchulin like this.
  22. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

I read that as an explanation of why he was trash instead of something that makes him more trash. That is Zoat's style, after all.

(For that matter, it's mine, as well.)

KenNM, ChestBurster, Cuchulin and 2 others like this.
  23. Threadmarks: Peacehammer (part 1)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

3rd Brauzeit 2512
    Mid-Afternoon

I look slightly awkwardly at my guests.

"I'm… Sorry, but I think there's been.. a miscommunication."

Ambassador of the Phoenix Court Prince Sharvan the Poet was… Okay, I can't say was, because while as an ambassador he has his instinctual rudeness under control compared to many of his countrymen he can still be more than a little haughty. He appeared to be satisfied with the result of my initial discussions with Queen Khalida, and sent a somewhat vaguely worded note indicating that he was condescending to aid me in another matter we had previously discussed.

There were a grand total of two things I risked discussing with him, and the embassy was one of them.

"I admit that I may have been unclear in my request, but…"

The other was my offer to investigate the underlying cause of the collapse in Ulthuanian birth rates.

"I rather thought that if he accepted my offer that he would send a… Couple who were attempting to conceive?"

The woman introduced to me by my usher as Fillinno of Everwatch narrows her eyes slightly. "We have attempted to conceive."

My eyes unavoidably drift to the other woman, Macese of Angerrial. Because if it turns out to be that simple, I'm going to be astonished.

"With..? One another? Because-."

"Obviously not."

"Alright. Um. Well, thank you for agreeing to participate-."

"We have agreed to nothing. Our Prince bade us come and so we have come, but I have no intention of submitting to your ill-educated prodding."

I nod. "Because naturally you are at least somewhat acquainted with the state of human medicine in the Empire and are quite reasonably sceptical that I would have anything to offer that had not already been attempted."

"Just so. As if a human could understand the bodies of elfish women better than the physicians of the White Tower or the priestesses of Moonspire." She manages a condescending smile. "I am satisfied that you at least recognise your folly."

"But I'm afraid that you're missing something, which suggests to me that you don't actually know who I am."

She scoffs.

"You cannot be so conceited as to believe that there is a quality unique to you which allows you to defy all reason."

"Oh, no." I raise my hands in mock surrender. "No, there's little special about me. True, I had the advantage of growing up in a country more technologically advanced than anything on this planet, but it wasn't me who made it so. I could talk to you about stem cells and chromosomes, but I didn't discover them."

I turn my left hand around and focus my desires on making my point as clearly as possible.

"This ring was made by a species who were peers of the Old Ones. They made them for much the same reason that the Old Ones taught High Magic to your forebears: because they felt that with a little improvement we could become useful to them. Not as equals, but as valued servants. And if you want initial proof-."

"Your speech." Macese nods. "Humans do not customarily speak Eltharin with the accent of Calador. Nor so clearly as you do."

"My sponsors could hardly be expected to learn my language, so they ensured that communication would never be a problem for their ring-bearers. I can be understood by and understand anyone with a common frame of reference. Words or concepts with no equivalent may not work, but English to Eltharin is simple."

"What manner of place speaks 'English'?"

I create a globe displaying the continents of Earth.

"My own dear homeworld, on the far side of the Gates." They both look warily at the construct, though I spot Fillinno taking in every detail of the landmasses. "So when I say that you haven't heard of me, perhaps I should instead say that you haven't heard of what I've achieved with this ring."

Fillinno reaches out with her right hand and pokes the construct, presumably to see whether or not it's an illusion. When it resists the pressure she applies she lowers her hand with a nod.

"How will this tool aid this investigation?"

I wave my left hand, dismissing the globe and replacing it with a construct image of her, internal organs included.

"I can detect substances in your body in quantities too minute to detect with any means you may be familiar with. And I can monitor them constantly, without the need to actually extract blood or other fluids or tissues. Should you become pregnant, I can monitor the foetus at every stage of its development so that if something goes wrong I will at least be able to guess at what it might be. And should the Ambassador be successful in gathering the data I requested, I can tabulate five thousand years' worth of birth records and track trends in seconds because something's changed, and historical records are the best place to work out when it started."

"And what do you need of us?"

"Your permission to study you. Though I haven't taken any oaths myself, I'm trying to practise medicine to an ethical code that the physicians in my home country would accept. I'm not going to scan you in detail without your express permission and I'm going to answer any question you have about any part of the process. Do I have your permission?"

"What else would you have us do?"

"Encourage other elves to give me permission to study them. My current sample size is too small, and I'm getting… Unrepresentative results."

"Who has already placed their wombs in your hands?"

"A small village in Mousillon. The elven inhabitants were seafarers who liked the place so much that they decided to stay. Out of fourteen women, discounting one who mates exclusively with a local human and two who exclusively keep the company of women, two years after the founding of the settlement, all of the rest either are or have been pregnant."

Which -even given the higher Dark Elf birth rates- was strange enough that Aranei asked if I was doing something to make it happen. As far as I know I wasn't, and the birth rate amongst the local humans and beastwomen remains the same as it was before. Apparently, Dark Elves usually ritually sacrifice slaves when they want to have children, and since the High Elves in theory don't allow slavery that's not really an option for them.

Might be worth trying at some point. Aranei was sketchy on the details, but I've got a lot of orcs and beastmen to kill. It's a shame not to get some use out of them.

Fillinno straightens up slightly and Macese frowns.

"Eleven births in two years?"

"Nine children born, with several pregnancies ongoing. They're… Scaling back their potentially-reproductive sexual activity now that they're aware that something is boosting fertility rates. Having studied them, I haven't… There's nothing that stands out as odd going on in their bodies. Human and elf pregnancies proceed in a fairly similar way, so I've been using humans as a model."

With good harvests and no monster attacks, the human inhabitants of my village are experiencing a bit of a population boost as well. We're going to honestly be able to call it a town before too long.

"But I'm still going to need to examine your male lovers, in case whatever causes the difference is in their bodies."

Macese nods. "And when you are done, what then?"

"Depending on what the problem is, I can correct it or keep it in abeyance or… If it's a matter of diet or something like that, I will suggest changes to your lifestyles to work around it. That's basically what I've offered the dwarfs, though their problem is.. far simpler than yours appears to be."

"Explain."

"Low number of female births combined with quite a lot of warfare. Their actual birth rate isn't the problem, they just can't make good on their losses generation to generation." I shrug. "Even closeting their females isn't enough. I could fix that by modifying the testicles of male dwarfs so that they sired more daughters, but I didn't get any volunteers. In the case of High Elves, the fact that women fight on the front lines is probably having an effect, but that's not a new development so I don't think it can be what's causing the issue."

"No." Macese considers for a moment. "I will consent, on the understanding that this information is for you alone. And I will direct my lovers to visit you."

"Thank you. And you, Fillinno?"

"I will wait. I wish to visit your village first."

I nod. I'll let Aranei get out the dresses without skulls on them.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2021
  24. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

She was trying to control his drones in the same way she destroyed his sword.

25. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'to come'

'have no'

Ehh, given their powers and intelligence they may have been able to easily learn it.

'with a'

Are these elves the dark elves he mind whammied?

I know he's in a relationship with one of them.

Yeah, if they keep having children then their resources may be depleted.

'and no'

Did anyone else get some porn vibes from this?

26. Rebu

Rebu hey, little Anna, you're the one

There was a Darwin award honorable mention about something like this, IIRC. Straight couple came to a doctor and wondered why they hadn't been able to conceive.

It turned out they had both been rather undereducated on reproductive matters and were, shall we say, trying to make a deposit in the wrong account.

27. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Every Paul everywhere ends up getting semi-immortal women pregnant...

Is that even still just a GILF fetish or something more?

28. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

Peacehammer Fantasy (which isn’t Age of Sigmar)! Today we are using the greatest tool in the multiverse (on par with magic) to see if Paul is avaricious enough to ensure elf babies are born whole and hearty.

Also it sounds like the dwarven men need their testicles modified to site girls while dwarves women need their eggs modified to develop twins (or more) with each birth. Fun!

29. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Not really.

So far only two versions of Paul have impregnated someone.

The only versions of Paul that have impregnated someone are Raul and paragon.

Raul impregnated Komand'r, who isn't semi-immortal.

Paul used his ring to impregnate several Amazoms, who are semi-immortal.

Otto von Saurion, Cuchulin and JoTa34 like this.
  30. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Yea... That's probably a bad thing...

Because if Paul doesn't understand why it's happening that means his desire energy is probably empowering Slaanesh...