1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. WereDragon

WereDragon Bookwyrm

Not my least favourite of the alts, but not one I’m happy to see.

2. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

I think that this is the Astartes I was thinking of, and a quick glance at the page makes it seem like he hasn't existed since 1E, so it's pretty likely that he was never in any novels.

Prince Charon likes this.
  3. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He basically doesn't get any screen time.

Instead Cato Sicarius gets screen time.

4. crazygrox

crazygrox Versed in the lewd.

I suspect that it's the magical background. I think his village is one of the only areas which both lacks a functioning waystone network(and thus high-intensity flow of winds), and lacks a significant concentration of Dhar.
    Essentially I suspect that elven fetuses early in their development need more protection against or isolation from intense magical energies.
    You could probably provide it by use of enchanted protective items or enchanted rooms for the prospective mother until the fetus is far enough along.

Vorian and Mr Zoat like this.
  5. Michael Vonica

Michael Vonica Know what you're doing yet?

I know very little about this setting, but I'm fairly sure that if this problem was purely magical in nature, then the Elves, who I assume would be highly skilled in the art of magic, would have likely figured it out by now. I suspect that there is at least some major physical component to the problem as well. Like the lack of any high enough quality tools for physical observation during the process. Of course, if the solution was actually to remove sources of magic, there is still a chance that it wouldn't be something that has been tried yet, seeing as it's quite counterintuitive for a society based around magic to do.

Assblaster5000 likes this.
  6. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

In Young Justice Amazo was powered by either a Mother Box or a Father Box. In the comics? Yeah is pure bullshit. Justified because you can tap into one of the Lights like the Flashes tap into the Speed Force, but still bullshit.

There is a reason why I wrote an Omake of an Alternate Paul going all out EARTH MAD SCIENCE FUCK YEAH! Because is really insane. Earth is the true Mad Science planet in DC.

7. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Warhammer doesn't work on a retcon system.

If something shows up in official material, it's true, period.

8. Assblaster5000

I... very sincerely doubt that, but sure, give a link to something that outright says that and I'll concede the point.

Doesn't change that this is a fanfiction and if Zoat says that Dr. Manhattan comes by and just deletes Chaos then that's what happens, end of story, but at least you'll be right about the official canon of this particular setting.

quietwhile, Lord Ernest, Ardy and 5 others like this.
  9. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

Could offer to make mods that'll increase the likelihood of twins and triplets. Sex changes though that'll be unlikely to work. Or speed up the woman's cycle so they can get pregnant more often too.

Assblaster5000 likes this.
  10. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

And when exactly was this revealed?

Prince Charon likes this.
  11. Deadring

Deadring Screee!

Just post this every update. You don't even say anything else haha.

Bramble Thorn likes this.
  12. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Don't mind if I do.

And Zoat didn't make a comment on his story's Warhammer, he made a blanket statement about Warhammer as a franchise.

13. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

"Keep in mind Warhammer and Warhammer 40,000 are worlds where half truths, lies, propaganda, politics, legends and myths exist. The absolute truth which is implied when you talk about “canonical background” will never be known because of this. Everything we know about these worlds is from the viewpoints of people in them which are as a result incomplete and even sometimes incorrect. The truth is mutable, debatable and lost as the victors write the history…"

"But is it all true? Yes and no. Even though some of it is plainly contradictory? Yes and no. Do we deliberately contradict, retell with differences? Yes we do. Is the newer the stuff the truer it is? Yes and no. In some cases is it true that the older stuff is the truest? Yes and no. Maybe and sometimes. Depends and it varies."

Marc Gascoigne, former head of Black Library

In other words, There is No Canon! ONLY CHAOS!

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
  14. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

And I have so much contempt for that answer. Serious, how hard is it to say 'sometimes we change stuff'.

15. Assblaster5000

A shame, I was just about to point out that the quote Vaermina used said all of that as well.

At least someone can read the full thing and not cherry pick.

Ardy and Someguy Somewhere like this.
  16. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

Honestly, for any setting or background where you've got a 'Your Doods' aspect to things, I think that you have to leave things either open to interpretation or otherwise give some grey areas for folks to work with.

Any Table Top Game or RPG where you are inserting your own characters or factions into a setting has to have room for that to exist without utterly destroying the narrative. Especially when there is a DM representing, or rather Reinterpreting the universe for the sake of the players and the story and game they want to play.

I mean, with 40k the Big thing in the fluff for that was the Missing Legions. Originally when it came out they were just unlisted, in something of a nod to the missing Roman Legions who's names and numbers would not be used again. It Also gave players a chance to say 'yeah, my guys came from ____' and to fill in the background however they liked. It let you shoe horn in your own armies and characters without messing up anything.

As 40k's background got filled in, it had to deal with this gaping hole in the lore...mostly in a very 40k way of Censoring all the mentions of it completely, in universe and out. It became something of a joke after a while. A recurring mystery that we'd never get answers for. The lore Around them got nailed down so tight that it'd be nigh impossible to come up with something to use them now, but the details were never filled in.

Then GW gave us the Horus Heresy Novels, where the huge epic legends in the fluff suddenly had 'first hand' coverage. This dramatically shifted the lore, as the stuff we THOUGHT we knew from in universe myths and stories were shown directly rather then 10,000 years of playing Telephone with the narrative (in universe, out of universe it's going from short blurbs in army books to epic novel stories in a somewhat more cohesive manner).

Thing is, even with this new Canon, with direct descriptions of what's going on, they still leave lots in the way of ambiguity. Just about anything involving the Emperor himself is so saturated with 'what you see and hear cannot be trusted' that there isn't enough salt on earth to take with it. For the missing legions themselves, we get writers purposely dancing around the concept leaving the smallest of grains of facts for fans to pick away at. Because they're fans too, and they're in on the Joke.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
  17. Tzeentch

Tzeentch I trust you know where the happy button is?

Visiting Ulthuan will be an interesting experience for Paul, I'm sure. Once his findings on Elven Fertility issues are shared, general opinion among the Asur might rise up from "dangerous human with a magic ring" to "VERY important person with a magic ring, treat respectfully".

And given the translation capabilities his power ring provides, odds are there'll be more than a few who'll be interested to note they don't have to speak any "barbaric human language" in order to hold a conversation with him.

Meanwhile, Paul's probably grown experienced in dealing with upper-class twits with the Reikland and Bretonnian nobilities at some parties that he'll be able to tolerate any obnoxiousness from the more gadfly sorts of elven nobles.

18. Mr Zoat

There's a grand total of ONE settlement on Ulthuan that a non-elf can visit. It's the one with human 'indentured servants' and actual slaves.

Ngamer11, BlueMangoAdea, Ardy and 5 others like this.
  19. Tzeentch

Tzeentch I trust you know where the happy button is?

Well, here's hoping an exception might be made in the future. Till then, I wonder how they would react to Paul using the flight capabilities of his ring to levitate everywhere several feet above Ulthuan, thus not actually setting foot on their precious island-nation?

Cuchulin, Bramble Thorn and Vorian like this.
  20. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Given you tried to claim there was retconning and the half elves/orc's weren't canon... I think this one's on you...

21. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

Dude, don't be a prick.
    The the game the segment is based on gives two contradictory pieces of information, one that halfbreeds exist, and one that their genetics are incompatible, it is Zoats right and prerogative as the author to choose which bit of conflicting information should be the true one for the purposes of this story.

You do realize that, right?
    Honestly it feels like you are just being such a colossal asshole here, and if he had decided halfelves were in fact a thing, you would still be telling him he was wrong, only giving the quote about the incompatible genetics from a more recent book. Because again, Vaermina = colossal asshole vibes.

22. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

Would you ask a fish not to swim? A bird not to fly? Vaermina has been doing this I’m pretty sure since the story started, quite possibly the longest consistent commenter. If he could be persuaded to not be a dick someone would have figured out how in the last decade or so

23. Threadmarks: Veganism (part 8)
    Mr Zoat

1st September 2012
    14:51 GMT

A grey metal corridor, blue tinted lights from above making it look even colder than it actually is. Diana frowns for a moment, but the ongoing action of my healing drone appears to convince her that this isn't some sort of backstab attempt.

As if.

She slows, keeping a grip on her prisoner.

"Where are we, Grayven?"

"Karras kindly pointed out which ship held their command staff. We're on it." Let's see, the interdiction systems should be that way. "Obviously we can't leave it to carry on its work, much less reach Vega. Plus…"

Scan Astarte.

Unable to comply.

Yes, she is knitting herself back together a bit, isn't she? I'd assume it's the killing down below giving her some sort of boost, though I suppose it could be the presence of her ships.

"Diana, can you do something to reduce her resilience?"

"Why?"

"Because I'm trying to scan her and I can't. New Gods like me -or you, apparently- can resist some types of probe. I'd like to learn more about who we're fighting."

"I can't, but we-."

I punch Astarte across the face, causing her to fly back before being tethered back to the deck by the Lasso of Truth. Subject To My Whims.

Scan Astarte.

Unable to comply.

Ah well. I-.

Diana steps in the way.

"What are you doing?!"

"Trying to weaken her resilience." I lower my fist and shrug at her. "You can see how she's healing, right?"

"You will not assault my prisoner."

"What, you want to do it? I suppose that I could shoot her or assimilate her, but-."

"It's called the Lasso of Truth for a reason, Grayven."

"And how would that let me check her for internal injuries?"

"She's healing herself."

We maintain eye contact for a few moments. Alright, fine.

"Astarte. What are the snakes for?"

She glowers, then the lasso glows.

"The Providers harvest worlds with inferior populations before returning to our ships to be processed into porridge."

"To be clear." I look at Diana with my eyebrows raised. "You kill people for the sole purpose of eating them?"

"The strongest women are recruited. Some of the strongest men are used for breeding before they are killed."

"Is this a ritual thing, or a religious thing..? High days and holidays? To mark a victory?"

"It is all we eat."

"So you've done this a lot?"

"Yes."

"And you personally…" I shrug and shake my head. "How long..?"

"I have been a Citizen for around three thousand years."

"Gosh." I raise my eyebrows and look at the clearly horrified Diana. "Eaten a lot of planets in three thousand years?"

"I haven't counted how many, but it is a large number. And I fully intend to eat yours once Grayven is done with you."

"You want to eat Apokolips? Good luck." I take a step back and smile at Diana. "So, about hitting her until her scan-blocking ability stops working?"

"No matter how monstrous she is, it is still wrong to beat a defenceless prisoner."

"Oh. Oh! Sorry, silly me." I return my attention to the prisoner. "Astarte, whereabouts are you from?"

"Themyscira. It is a Greek nation on Earth."

"Three thousand years ago? Diana, when was it that your forebears left the mainland?"

"It was three thousand years ago, as well you know. Astarte, do you remember your mother?"

"No."

"Diana, I just-."

"Astarte, who was your mother?" Truth Unchanging.

The lasso glows, the usual mute gold colour suddenly shining brilliantly!

Astarte gasps-.

Ring, scan her.

Compliance.

I smile at Diana as I feel the data come in. "Well done on-."

"Not now, Grayven."

Astarte's eyes glow with the same golden light as the lasso. "Queen Otrera is my mother."

And I jump in. "Any other family?"

"A younger sister. Hippolyta."

Diana's jaw tenses, and her eyes shift to me. "Did you know?"

"N-."

"Put your hand on the lasso and tell me that you did not know."

I roll my eyes and put my right hand on the lasso.

"I did not have confirmation that the mysterious Olympian -whoever they were- was related to you. I suspected, and I am not surprised, but this part of what's happening-"

Darn it.

"-was not a set up."

I take my hand off in something of a hurry.

"I mean, how many women were having sex with gods in the Old City? It can't have been that many; you don't have that many gods. And the goddesses would have gotten annoyed about it. Anyway, yeah, your aunt is a mass murdering cannibal warlady. Thoughts?"

"What is he-" Astarte strains briefly against her bonds. "-talking about?"

"I am Diana, Princess of Themyscira, and your niece. And now I must decide what I am to do with you."

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
  24. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

Give her to Hades!
    Off to Tartarus!

25. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Porridge.

They...that is...

What kind of bullshit...

It's not even like they are a predator species indulging some instinct!

They use these snakes to hunt instead!

26. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

And now the League knows a good part of this is a setup.

27. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

So either empowered by people dying in combat, like Ares, or because she's on her base of power.

Technically you're human, so Earth is your home and they may honestly have a chance at doing it.

Ohh, God-Speech.

So either she's been practicing or the situation got to her.

Yeah, her tolerance for your bullshit hit its peak.

And given the Olympian family tree everyone is related to everyone else.

So this thing isn't a set up, but other things probably are, and you're worried you'll blurt them out.

Probably not that many.

Though it's assuming they knew they were having sex with gods.

Shape-shifting is a thing.

Possession may also be a thing.

And in some myths they apparently have dream sex, so there's that.

Probably in this story, but in the actual myths...

Well the Greeks aren't Indian, but they sure had a lot of gods.

That hasn't stopped them before.

28. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

The Lasso always made god speeches.

Cuchulin and ChestBurster like this.
  29. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I don't really remember this.

Could you quote the chapter where it happened.

30. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

when Paul gave his Nabu rant to the league it had godspeech “truth” all over the place