1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Video Games General

Discussion in 'General' started by Smuthunter, Mar 25, 2017.

1. vyor

vyor Oh that's cute

Consoles use way less energy than high powered gaming systems.

2. Malcolmo

Malcolmo Insert custom title here

Would that be what saved them or would it be any under the table deals?

3. vyor

vyor Oh that's cute

Most likely power draw.

4. Rakdos92

Rakdos92 Goosh Goosh

Seeing as California has Sony and Microsoft XBOX, that question is a sucker's bet.

UnthinkingWisdom and Malcolmo like this.
  5. SwiftRosenthal

SwiftRosenthal Connoisseur.

Is there a better source than some rando on Twitter?

Keldin likes this.
  6. searcher8

searcher8 Are you trying to harden my Nanomachines Son?

It probably is. Notably, the reason for this is that it's part of a pre-existing energy conservation bill that was passed a few years ago, but only comes into effect this December. I would not be surprised if it's simply a case where the bill simply says something to the effect of "Any appliance or consumer electronic with a power draw of more than X is banned" where X is more than most high spec gaming PCs, but less than most consols.

Hilariously enough, this bill is still going to screw the two of them over on this. Remember, game development, even if it's intended for consoles, are still done on PCs, and as the twitter chain that was originally linked in this thread points out, this bill is going to make it nearly impossible for development studios based in those states from actually getting ahold of the equipment they need to make games. As such this is almost certantly going to fuck over all of Sony and Microsoft's devs.

7. Malcolmo

Malcolmo Insert custom title here

Do you want the law text itself (use ctrl f and write computer it's towards the end), the dell website outright stating that they can't deliver products to those states anymore or a games journalist who'll say pretty much what just got said there.
    The thing to keep in mind is that the people who make these laws tend to have lobbyists giving them strong incentives to write them in such a way that their own products won't get targeted and in all likelihood come with an exemption for their work on development (while in all likelihood ensuring anyone new has to jump through hoops to get the same allowance). Never mind the fact that hitting pcs wouldn't actually be as notable as hitting consoles (if their study is trustworthy anyway which is always hit or miss).

8. Aaron Fox

Aaron Fox That Crazy/Not-Crazy Guy

Good grief, with California rolling out a UBI, things are going to be interesting in the Chinese sense...

9. Rakdos92

Rakdos92 Goosh Goosh

Please let's not go down that route.

10. Aaron Fox

This is simply going to cause problems, largely because of the current environment. :( But getting into that will go into Rule 8 territory.

11. Megaolix

Megaolix Moderator

Then don't talk about it to start with. Going 'But I won't because Rule 8' is bad.

12. Aaron Fox

Sorry about that sir, old habits die hard.

13. Raven1138

Raven1138 Experienced.

For those panicking or making the mods get their banhammers ready, JayTwoCents has a simple message: calm your tits.

The basic thing is, this has been planned for since 2016 with input from Intel and other manufactuers, and even the body in charge has yet to update their website. So people are freaking out over outdated info that has been rolled out haphazardly. Also, gamers are not the target, it's mainly aimed at power hogs that disable all of the power saving/sleep functions in Windows and run their computers 24/7/365 with crap tier power supplies. As for the DIY market, the only hassle will just be sourcing parts at a decent price, the sort of thing we have been dealing with for the past year and a half. So the key thing is calm down and wait for the legalese to finish shaking out.

Keldin, Dakkaface, Teln and 4 others like this.
  14. Bear_Mint

Bear_Mint The LewdBringer. The Breast Observer.

Sounds to me this is an issue of news companies resorting to the classic clickbait to generate traffic. And nothing generates it more and faster than misinformation that sparks outrage.

Keldin, Dakkaface, Teln and 2 others like this.
  15. vyor

vyor Oh that's cute

Oh hey, look at that. Posting a fucking moron and actually believing him. He needs to die already.

UnthinkingWisdom and Rakdos92 like this.
  16. Rakdos92

Rakdos92 Goosh Goosh

I take it you have been dealing with his statememts before?

UnthinkingWisdom likes this.
  17. vyor

vyor Oh that's cute

Far too fucking often. Fucking idiot blamed a video game for GPUs dying. A video game.

All while conflating computer shut downs(which can be cause by any number of things including unstable OCs or a weak power supply) with GPUs getting bricked.

All that to avoid blaming Nvidia or EVGA.

Dude never knows anything. Ever.

UnthinkingWisdom and Rakdos92 like this.
  18. Megaolix

Megaolix Moderator

Kindly refrain from calling for the death of RL people please.

19. Oni

Oni Connoisseur.

An amusing video game review:

20. Bear_Mint

Bear_Mint The LewdBringer. The Breast Observer.

Sseth is, in my book, the funniest video game reviewer on the market. He reviews the obscure crap but he makes it funny and interesting.

UnthinkingWisdom likes this.
  21. AllyDoodle

AllyDoodle Lewd Cthulhu

It's fucking hilarious how many people are complaining that the Peninsula of Power has been removed from the pixel remake of Final Fantasy considering they made it so it is a lot easier to level up.

For those who may not be aware, the Peninsula of Power has been in the game since the original Final Fantasy on the NES and is a section of the overworld where due to a bug or something enemies from much later in the game will appear allowing you to level grind fairly early in the game.

22. Rakdos92

Rakdos92 Goosh Goosh

How do you avoid getting nuked by these late-game enemies?

23. AllyDoodle

AllyDoodle Lewd Cthulhu

I haven't played it yet, but apparently enemies are be a lot more generous with XP and magic and equipment is cheaper as well.

24. Rakdos92

Rakdos92 Goosh Goosh

I was refering to the SNES-era exploit.

25. searcher8

searcher8 Are you trying to harden my Nanomachines Son?

Basically by having really, really good timing with your attacks, and being willing to save scum like a motherfucker in case something hits you.

Keldin likes this.
  26. Rakdos92

Rakdos92 Goosh Goosh

Eh? I thought it was turn-based and all that? How did the system in FF1 work?

27. Scygnus

Scygnus Well worn.

I suspect it's a matter of 'get your turn first' and either crits or insta-deaths. Or some glitch like Intangir in FF6.

28. Hunter 1

Hunter 1 Know what you're doing yet?

Back in the original NES version, Final Fantasy's overworld was divided into squares made up of multiple movement tiles. Each square had a set of enemy encounters associated with it, and generally, the squares matched up with the terrain rather well.

But there was one square that extended onto another, earlier, area. This was the Peninsula of Power, an area of four tiles where later game enemies were findable earlier than planned. Later versions of FF1 refined how encounter tables were assigned, so the Peninsula of Power shouldn't happen in them... except the devs would deliberately change those four tiles to have the "proper" encounters, to replicate the Peninsula error.

But apparently now that's changing. And the changes to exp gain rate tells me the new devs are aware of the Peninsula, but either didn't like it... or some higher up(s) didn't like it and wanted it changed.

29. Scygnus

Scygnus Well worn.

Funny story. Got back into playing Terraria recently. First task: get the Zenith. I was missing the Enchanted Sword, Seedler, and Meowmere. And copper shortsword but that's hardly difficult. Enchanted Sword was easy, of course, got it from the first sword shrine I found- it wasn't implemented last I played.

Seedler took... way too many Plantera kills. Not to mention hunting the bastard down. Ugh.

Then I started trying to get the Meowmere. 11.99% drop chance from the Moon Lord.

Killed the Moon Lord more than twenty times. No dice. Checked the forums to see if it was bugged. Nope. Gave up, bitched out, got an All Items world and grabbed the stupid Nyanblade. Finally, finally crafted the Zenith.

A Legendary Zenith. On crafting.

What even is my luck?

30. Rakdos92

Rakdos92 Goosh Goosh

A sexily-filthy lady giving you the wettest deepest deepthroat in that moment?

Velk likes this.