1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

I suspect because 'passing on a softer punch' has the obvious corollary that the first punch is going to be a doozy.

2. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

That may not be a good idea.

If it is parchment or paper then I bet it's enchanted.

I sometimes have trouble remembering what I ate this morning.

They did share some things, but you may not be hoping for this all too much since if he did then Tangseid may have also gotten some things.

Actually tomorrows chapter will be in Fantasy.

To be fair, a lot of humans in Warhammer are ignorant peasants.

Elves, less so.

I think he meant it as the next generations of Citizens will be less and less horrible.

3. Ryumancer

Ryumancer Dragons Are Romance

...Still looking for a list of Renegade Paul chapters, for what it's worth.

4. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

On the first page there are spoiler boxes that contain links to the chapters.

Ryumancer likes this.
  5. Silverias

Silverias Know what you're doing yet?

HOW did I not catch that. Kudos.

6. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

Mr Zoat
    How did WHF!Paul learn how to convert the Winds into Orange ring charge? And what does he do to keep the clutches of Slaanesh at bay

7. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I think the ring automatically absorbs the winds.

RichardWhereat likes this.
  8. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

There are plenty of spells that grant short-lived flight. Sustained flight is more unusual.
    The villagers nearby are human peasants, and would probably be very afraid of someone riding a pillar of fire.
    He has a small shrine to Malal which he urinates on daily.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
  9. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Everyone pisses on Malal.

At least Horus can get him some chocolate milk.

God damn it, now I want some chocolate milk.

10. Radiant Knight

Radiant Knight Phoenix Fire

Yeah, they're gonna bone.

Honestly I was waiting to see if anyone had picked up on his choice of names, I'm legitimately surprised it took this long.

crazygrox likes this.
  11. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

You can't anymore, TTS is cancelled. So now EVERYONE is in the retconnian

12. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

That's why I want chocolate milk.

Assblaster5000 and Ardy like this.
  13. Mr Zoat

I'm not saying you should go to Nottingham and burn down GW headquarters, I'm just saying that I'd hand you a petrol can.

14. crazygrox

crazygrox Versed in the lewd.

What about orbit?
    I think there's a decent chance OL could build a space elevator, or a few space elevators.
    I don't think I've ever heard of one being built in any setting because if a desire to influence the flow of magic, but there's a first time for everything.

There's also the Ulthuani network and rift, and if there's a rift under the middle mountains that might work.

Ardy and Otto von Saurion like this.
  15. Tzeentch

Tzeentch I trust you know where the happy button is?

One has to admire Paul's continued politeness in the face of Elven arrogance. Most other humans would be fairly tempted to give in to the "Screw You Elves!" trope after a while of enduring the "Can't Argue With Elves" attitude.

Then again, having lived alongside some "reformed" Dark Elves, I suppose he's gotten fairly used to that sort of thing.
    Should we expect any of the Archmages to create a magical equivalent to flight rings after studying how Paul's ring enables him to defy gravity soar so easily? Considering the pride of The Asur....

16. transhumansage

transhumansage Versed in the lewd.

im sorry where is she from all i could find was the description of a league of legends char that sounded fake.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
    Otto von Saurion likes this.
  17. Mr Zoat

To paraphrase Haze Shenron: 'I could build a space elevator. If I knew how.'

18. Tzeentch

Tzeentch I trust you know where the happy button is?

It might not necessarily be their Magic-fueled longevity which diminishes their reproduction rate.

For all we know, The Old Ones might have placed some enchantments in elven genetics that allowed them to control how much their long-lived Asur servants could reproduce, and Paul unknowingly umade said enchantments when he performed his scans.

19. Radiant Knight

Radiant Knight Phoenix Fire

They're names of characters in the Ken Ashcorp song that was linked. Listening to the song explains the reference.

transhumansage likes this.
  20. Michael Vonica

Michael Vonica Know what you're doing yet?

Best guess? This Paul has never actually wanted anything badly enough yet. Denial is the best fuel for desire, and it seems that with a power ring in this setting, there just haven't been enough real challenges for Paul to make him ever want anything enough. Enough to adapt to the feeling, that is. Likely to change when hordes of demons and monsters start really trying to kill him and his allies.

Cuchulin and Prince Charon like this.
  21. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

Wait a second. Has Mr Zoat done this in a bunch of other Alt-Paul settings?

22. crazygrox

crazygrox Versed in the lewd.

Step 1 carbon nanotube cables
    Step 2 grab an engineer to calculate some things for you.
    Step 3 expect a certain amount of trial and error, as you essentially have to build like twenty space elevators for the engineer to get the numbers on how to make a functional version of what they're doing.
    *Also known as the Kerbal space program approach
    Step 4 just completely give up on engineering one that isn't going to be brought down by weather and hire all the mages in the world to enchant it to be weatherproof.
    *Also known as hacking
    Step 5 find out that your space elevator is just slightly too small for the waystone weight requirements, as you're going to need waystones all along the length of it to transmit magic up to orbit.
    Step 6 repeat step 4, but with slightly larger cables.
    Step 7, groan in frustration when transmitting that much magic up the cable creates completely new problems that need to be solved, with, you guessed it, another new space elevator design which someone has to work to build and pay for.

23. transhumansage

transhumansage Versed in the lewd.

is he practicing meditation using Maslow's hierarchy of human needs?

24. Darth.Bill

Darth.Bill Versed in the lewd.

Ahh. The power of a fancy hat.

25. Lone Courier 6

Lone Courier 6 Wanderer of threads

Step Zero, Figure out how to build Carbon Nanotube Cables.

26. Threadmarks: Peacehammer (part 5)
    Mr Zoat

17th Vorhexen 2512
    Mid-day

Dayrak Rainslick -late of Lord Barblash's reavers- and the leader of the Swordmasters detail stare at each other. The Swordmaster's hands are on the hilt of his sword and his body is tensed to spring into action, while Dayrak slouches at ease with his hands hooked into his belt.

"You know, the humans tell a joke about those who carry greatswords. Particularly those who rub the pommel like that."

Dayrak has taken surprisingly well both to having his priorities rewritten by the orange light and to fatherhood. A disadvantage Aranei had as an early adopter: I didn't entirely know what I was doing when I worked on her, and like a poorly set bone that's left her with a few problems. By the time I got to Dayrak I'd got far better at integrating new desires and diminishing rather than scrubbing antisocial ones. It made me feel less monstrous when I saw that he still had the freedom to question and mock my decisions, because it made it clear that I hadn't just created puppets.

Even if the result was that Aranei wouldn't needle someone to their face like this when I'm trying to forge an alliance.

Teclis regards him curiously.

"From where do you hail?"

"Clar Karond, though it is here that I was…" He looks at me with an expression of pantomimed curiosity. "What is it that the religion of your homelands calls it? 'Born again'?"

It turned out that the violent nature of Dark Elf society caused him to keep his mordantic tendencies under control, lest he provoke someone into stabbing him. With that threat largely off the table he tends to let his tongue run free.

I nod. "Yes, that's what we call it."

Teclis looks to me. "My spies reported that you retained the services of an elf wizard, but I had no idea that the elves you claimed had settled here were Naggarothi. And I feel not a single trace of dhar about them."

"One of the ring's more subtle applications allows me to change people's desires. I encountered a group of Dark Elves raiding this village, and after I took them into custody… I didn't actually want to kill them, so I gave them the chance to volunteer to be 'de-Darked'." Huh. "Actually, that's a possible solution to your population problems. I could raid Naggaroth, repeat the process on those I capture and then transfer them-."

"No." Finreir glares at me. "I do not expect you to understand the depth of enmity between our two peoples, but the suggestion that we could become one once more is obscene."

"That's.. fine, I'll keep them? Ah, anyway, Dayrak, is Klavaella-?"

"NGWAAAAAAAAAHHH!"

Dayrak smiles as he turns around.

"A father's work is never done. But, come! See my daughter."

He strides purposively towards the houses the Dark Elves built for themselves when they decided that even if they did force the human peasants to create something for them, it wouldn't be good enough anyway. As sea-farers, they all had reasonable carpentry skills. I had to fetch slates for the roofing and put my foot down on the issue of the giant blades that they felt needed to be stuck on every corner, but the buildings generally turned out pretty well.

Loremaster Kaleina starts after him before either of her male colleagues.

"I will conduct the examination."

I-. Dayrak is a veteran reaver, but she's a Mage Lord. I'm not really happy with her assuming that she can just walk into his house and start poking his infant offspring, especially considering the fact that I'm the only person on 'our side' who would have the slightest chance of stopping her.

"I-."

Teclis raises his right hand.

"Kaleina, ask them permission. We are here as guests."

I nod. "They don't have any outstanding warrants. Unless you have evidence of a crime for which they have not already been sentenced, I'm going to have to ask you to observe local law."

I get stink eye, but she nods at Teclis before following Dayrak towards his home, one of the Swordmasters in turn following her.

Hm.

"Though that does raise a point. What about their children?"

"It isn't a matter of magic. The divergence between Ulthuan and Naggaroth is cultural and historical."

"And we're not in Naggaroth and they're developing their own culture. By the time they're of age… What are they going to have in common with the elves of Naggaroth that elves from Nagarythe don't have?"

"I would have thought that someone as well-acquainted with dwarfs as you are would understand that centuries of strife do not simply disappear."

"No, because with dwarfs they do if you pay your fines. We might think that they're obsessive about it, but they apply their irrationality in a perfectly rational way."

Teclis chuckles quietly. "I suppose they do have that going for them. Alas, High Elves are creatures of passion as much as-"

"Nay, good sir! 'tis the perfect time!"

"-intellect..?"

I frown as I fly upwards to check-. Yes, Mallobaude's taking advantage of the autumn slow down in farm work to try and train local volunteers as men-at-arms. This is a fairly standard practice in Bretonnia, and it would relieve pressure on the small number of elf professional soldiers and on me if they could handle small numbers of attackers. Or at least contribute meaningfully to their own defence. And then there's the fact that according to Bretonnian custom, a local likely lad should have been appointed Knight Errant by now.

They're not being that enthusiastic. They've basically survived by having nothing worth taking. By not being worth the trouble to drag out of hiding. Getting organised makes them start to look like they're worth coming after.

There's an odd rumbling sound below me, and a moment later Teclis rises up next to me on a pillar of rock with a stone staircase wrapped around it. The whole thing is covered in moss and shrouded in mist, which-. Well, that's magic for you.

Mallobaude grabs onto a teenage boy and corrects his stance, moving his wooden sword into a proper guard.

"The local Knight of the Realm?"

"Technically, he's a Questing Knight. Ah, look, I need to ask a favour."

"Another favour."

"No, the others serve our mutual interest. This is just for me."

He shrugs. "You can ask."

"I'd like for you to arrange for someone to teach my girlfriend High Magic."

He bows his head slightly, shaking it. "I'm sorry, but while humans might in theory be capable of learning to use qhaysh eventually, your species' relatively short lifespan makes it a practical impossibility."

"Ah, good news! She's not human."

He looks at me, and-.

"The.. Dark Elves' sorceress. You're bedding her."

"She was the first person to volunteer to have her mind altered. She was inclined to suck up to powerful figures…" I shrug. "I didn't fully consider the likely consequence of leaving that desire in place. She's still using dhar, but obviously I'd prefer it if she moved away from that. I've bought a few books from the Imperial Colleges of Magic, but…"

"She considers 'human' magic to be beneath her." He nods. "I understand her problem. What do I get out of this?"

"Ah? So mercenary?"

"Why should I ask for less than the dwarfs?"

"Fair enough." I look him over. "I could probably fix your body up, if you like."

His eyes narrow.

"What do you mean by-?"

I hold up my right arm wither it and then cause it to swell with muscle before darkening the skin and lightening it again.

"I know nothing of the precise effects of the Curse of Aenarion-."

"Deal."

Last edited: Dec 7, 2021
  27. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

Yeah, that'll get attention.

28. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'of the late Lord'

'gotten far'

Ohh boy.

Remove 'can'

'the stink'

You have no room to complain.

Remove "

Careful Teclis, first research the thing.

29. iamnuff

iamnuff Connoisseur.

"Ladies and Gentlemen. We got him."
    Hook, line and sinker.

30. hance1986

hance1986 A pitiful excuse for a man.

' dwarves '

' dwarves '

' She '

remove the quotation mark.

' dwarves '

' irrationality '