1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I already made a theory as to how she could have come to work for Actually Grayven.

Zoat hasn't given an explanation for how she came to work for Actually Grayven, but I think this may be a good explanation.

Ardy likes this.
  2. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Ah, I was clicking on the wrong link. Thank you, corrected.

3. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

I just looked it up. Either women's clothing or women's genitals.

Ngamer11, Bud-E, Ardy and 1 other person like this.
  4. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

why not both?

Doccer and Bud-E like this.
  5. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

My own search says it just means "womanly" in Latin.

Xmaster3000, DrThoth and Doccer like this.
  6. Threadmarks: Peacehammer (part 6)
    Mr Zoat

17th Vorhexen 2512
    Late Afternoon

Loremaster Kaleina watches in horror as Vanda, chief of the beastwoman herd, pulls a plough through a newly drained area of former marshland. A few other members of the herd are working to remove stones or the larger roots, while in the distance still more are hard at work cutting down more trees to clear the space.

"You consort with these creatures of chaos?"

Beastwomen are… Well, there are a variety of builds, much like their menfolk. Their ungor-equivalents could pass as female satyrs… I think. From a distance, at least. I've only caught brief glimpses of satyrs and I rather imagine that attempts on my part to intrude further into Athel Loren would not be welcomed. But most of them are gor-equivalents; they're built like weight lifters and perfectly capable of engaging in heavy farm labour. Which is good, because there isn't much pastoral farming in this part of the world. In Bretonnia, herds are owned by lords who allow their most capable peasants to watch over them, which means that in villages like this there aren't any horses or oxen to pull ploughs or carts.

"I am loath to kill civilians. Amongst the beastmen, their females never raid and rarely pick up weapons. When I slaughter a beastherd, I bring any females I find here."

"Slaves? That is a great risk."

"No. I mean, they're not paid for their labour, but neither is anyone else. This village isn't big enough or well-travelled enough for coinage to be a useful form of exchange. They're members of the community, and share the harvest."

"Do you..? Do you mate with them?"

I smile, looking away. Some of the more slender ones aren't actually bad looking, but the gods of chaos being the capricious bastards that they are… The animal traits aren't regular. Some have goat eyes in otherwise human faces while others go the other way with human eyes and hair fronted by what is clearly a goat or cow face. And the handful that aren't… Even if they aren't violent, I'd still be sticking my penis in a creature of chaos. That would not be a good idea.

"No. Pleasant company though they are, any children sired on them would be beastfolk. Probably beastmen. I'm not sure if beastmen can be raised to be civilised, but there's a good deal of circumstantial evidence which suggests that they can't."

"Why do you keep them?" She still doesn't take her eyes off Vanda as she completes a row and turns the plough. "You could acquire the finest farm animals the human lands have to offer."

"I could. But you see… I really hate the Gods of Chaos. Knowing how they touch this world fills me with disgust. I want to undo all of their workings, large and small. Beastmen are creatures of chaos. Creatures created from the raw stuff of chaos who've achieved a degree of stability without giving up that inherent link to the stuff."

"I know more of the wiles of chaos than you, human."

"The Chaos Gods prize mortal servants above their daemons because mortals must choose to damn themselves. Every one tempted into damnation is a victory for them, even if the newly damned achieves nothing with their life. How would it be if we could turn the tables?"

"To purify daemons? Imp-"

"No."

"-ossible. What, then?"

I wave my left hand, a cross section of assimilated daemons appearing.

"Daemons have nothing about them that isn't chaos. Beastfolk do."

Strange lights glimmer in her eyes as she studies my pawns.

"I've tried using the orange light to purge them, but empty vessels is all I end up with."

"Does your orange light have no.. intelligences with it?"

"One, a tremendously powerful elemental. I'd rather not draw her attention." I return my attention to Vanda. "They live in peaceful simplicity, they work hard and keep themselves clean and healthy. Every few months a wandering priest of Taal gives them religious instruction. They've done as much as they can do by practical means to redeem themselves from their bestial state."

"It is insufficient. The taint of dhar is still upon and within them."

I nod.

"I know. My great hope is that a breed of beastmen can be created who use ghur in place of dhar, and so steal their entire kind from the dark gods."

"A ludicrous notion."

"Yeah, well, elves used to think that teaching humans magic was a waste of time, and now look at us."

"Then why do you not invite an 'Amber Wizard' to study them?"

"It.. turns out that 'Amber Wizard' and 'study' don't really go together."

The Colleges of Magic are mostly set up to create battle wizards for the armies of the Empire. And they do a good job of doing that. But that's… Most of what they do. Oh, Gold wizards often have a line in alchemy and Celestial wizards will do predictions on any number of topics, but… Pure research is unusual, particularly for Jade and Amber wizards who aren't all that fond of 'buildings' or 'people'.

The last Amber wizard I spoke to barked at me until I went away. I'd like to think she was joking, but… She wasn't.

"Look, are you on board with the whole worldwide network idea?"

"It is.. a.. logical extension of the work we elves of Ulthuan have already completed."

"Are you in favour of it because you want to see the rest of the world become a little more like Ulthuan, or are you doing it for the same reason I am: to deny this world to the chaos gods?"

"Ultimately, to deny the world to the Chaos Gods. Though I am most interested in denying them Ulthuan."

I shrug. "And I'm mostly interested in denying them this village. I don't expect you to favour other people above your own, just to have the good sense to recognise when our interests align and not refuse to cooperate when cooperation would be most effective. Because -let's face it- if you could completely protect Ulthuan by giving them the rest of the world, your people would have done it by now."

"As would yours."

I tilt my head to the right for a moment.

"Some would. I wouldn't. Because I don't give the chaos gods things. Even a moral victory. A boon won through their favour is a boon they can take away in an instant. And when this world is secure against them I will travel to the next and secure that as well. And then the next, and the next, until they cannot touch the materium at all."

"So you are a madman."

"Oh? Did the High Loremaster hold a knife to your throat to get you to come here?"

"Of course not."

"Then who's madder? The madman, or the madwoman who follows him?"

Her eyes narrow.

"Human, you try my patience."

"You're not here to do me a favour. You're here because you want something, and I assume it's to test the plausibility of the worldwide network."

"No, I'm here because I want to have children, and High Loremaster Teclis needed someone who could test the viability of your technique."

"Oh. Ah, okay. When do you want to start?"

Last edited: Aug 30, 2021
  7. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

Whoops. Without empathic vision, Paul goes back to missing the coke and guns for the motorcycles

Gilhelmi, Finerc, nick012000 and 38 others like this.
  8. Ancalador

Ancalador Know what you're doing yet?

"Where's the nearest bedroom?"

9. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Yeah I remember it being mentioned that some of the Wood Elves tried to kill him.

'there aren't'

Well at least one Paul is fucking a cat girl.

And I guess another one is also doing it, or at least someone that has evolved from felines.

Slaanesh and Nurgle would be interested in giving him an STD.

People don't fuck just to have children.

'Daemons'

That way lies turning everyone into constructs.

Paragon got lucky it didn't happen to him.

Teclis really proved them wrong.

Most of them live in the wilderness and in caves.

'for the'

Mostly weather and occasionally the future.

They can also manipulate these things, but primarily stick with the weather since fate manipulation can be dangerous.

Yeah, one side effect of using magic in this setting is getting changed in ways that depend on what Wind you use.

Gold Wizards can get thing like gold colored skin, a metallic feeling to them and their voices can sound metallic.

Amber wizards can get thingsclike animal eyes, fangs or claws etc.

I'm picturing him and 40k Paul teaming up.

Yes, yes he is.

You're the madman Paul.

Something that all Pauls do.

10. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

Yeah. It's rare that SI writers are self-aware enough to include their flaws in the SIs like that (in ways that are clearly disadvantageous), and Zoat managed it right from the start.

11. Rebu

Rebu hey, little Anna, you're the one

Aside from the usual "haha I'm a wacky guy who defies convention" sort.

12. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Don't go imagining cute monster girls, folks. Warhammer Beastfolk walk straight through the deepest part of the Uncanny Valley. It's impressive that Paul here has managed to get them to not be frothing berserkers like the males...

And let's not speak of the Minotaurs, who are even bigger and dumber. Given the state of their last models (over-muscled lumps who bear all the signs of early CAD work) they're the last thing anyone wants near civilisation...

No, slavery is distasteful. They're more... domesticated feral wildlife. That just happen to be able to talk. Sometimes.

When he's got a hot Elf lady on tap? I doubt it. And I suspect most of the village men have more sense than horniness. :confused: ... But you know there'd be that one guy.

Yup. Deep in the Uncanny Valley. Never mind the possibility of random mutations.

But farm animals aren't smart enough to tend themselves. This frees up men for other work.

Yes, but do you want them gone, with every fibre of your being? To take away every victory and avenue of influence they can gain into the world? Could you maintain that focus for long enough to do something about it? Paul here can.

And he means to do it. It's probably a hell of a lot easier with a Power Ring, though.

Technically true. Daemons of Chaos are an aspect of it embodied. Bloodlust, Seduction, Corruption and Madness. And that's the lowest ranks. Greater Daemons are even more intense.

And when Chaos and the Material mix, you get mutations. Beastmen are simply a kind that breeds true.

So they're even less than most Construct Lanterns? No desires but what he commands? A fine fate for them.

Yes, definitely a bad idea to get the attention of the big Snek. Especially since this one isn't Best Snek... Of course, that assumes she hasn't been subsumed by Chaos anyway, or even existed here. I mean, can you see the Gods of Chaos passing up big old blobs of Rage, Want and Fear, never mind the 'positive' end of the spectrum?

That can be mitigated with training. And ultimately, Beastfolk don't generally live as long as their Human cousins do. Partly because they usually get killed by travelling murderhobos Adventurers or Imperial troops.

What's the alternative? Let them develop into something like the Skaven or the Greenskins? Better to try and aim them at something positive...

Quick link for reference: Amber Wizards. You might think 'Oh, hey, Druids!' And you would be wrong.

Ah, the corrupting effects of Magic upon Humans. One of the downsides of Teclis' necessary tuition.

And since Paul is going to be doing a lot of the heavy lifting on clearing the sites, the Elves get to take it easy.

Heh. Caring not for what transpires beyond the borders of the homeland, eh? Until it rolls up on the beaches of Ulthuan. I suspect that's a common sentiment amongst the High Elves.

<Pointing Morgan.jpg> She's not wrong. Most Humans, Elves and Dwarves would echo the sentiment that the rest of the world can go hang if their lands are safe.

Ah, the focus of an Orange Lantern with big dreams and the desire to make them reality.

Oh, please. I expect he dangled some bait a lot closer to the heart. Or rather, the loins.

I see habitually poking your allies isn't solely the domain of the Renegade...

:rolleyes: Yes, the various Pauls get that a lot.

Heh. Knew it.

Presumably not with him directly, of course. I wonder what her examinations of the Elven mothers showed her?

A nice little breather after the action last chapter. And a quite deep look at this Paul's motivations. It'll be interesting to see where he goes after this. As for the Renegade, I expect we'll cut back tomorrow to see him and Lynne sitting on the bridge of the gordanian ship. After all, there's not much aboard that can stop them when they're on a tear...

The name doesn't match the other mentions of it.... Also, Double Space.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2021
  13. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

There's always that one guy.

The Jade Order fit the druid picture more.

Humans aren't so resistant to the effects of magic as Elves are.

It's a fairly common trait among the Pauls.

Like a lot.

Tomorrow's episode is also a Fantasy one.

14. Grimnar

Grimnar Versed in the lewd.

All Zoats warhammer stuff is fucking stupid, and really highlights how stupid most of his politics are. The minute he turns his back on beastmen, they will be gone after eating everyone nearby, maybe after raping any men they can find.

It's almost infantalizing in as way, how everyone just needs to given a nudge and will adapt to serve his whims.

Such is the price for SI's and INO's I guess.

15. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

Sometimes Mr Zoat’s audience highlights and critiques problematic communications between characters: One person (Paul) dominates the conversation and their partner does not get to make an argument in an attempt to sway Paul to their way of thinking. Okay. But that isn’t the way a majority of proposal discussions Paul attempts go. We know it does not always work (see the crumble gauntlets guy, many Controllers that haven’t gone Orange, hawkwoman, many magic-users, and a ton of people Grayven has interacted with). So what?

Mr Zoat uses many, many settings with unreasonable people. People (heroes and villains!) who would favor immediate violence over difficult conversations or ugly concessions as a step towards lasting compromise. Unreasonable people are not necessarily crazy nor criminals. Nor are they “losers fated by writing to be bested by a hero.”

Paragon-Paul and Renegade-Paul (Grayven) are prone towards communicating with unreasonable people in order to direct their efforts in harmonious ways rather than inefficient or immoral ways. This is not “stupid politics.” It is a natural development for a modern man who a) knows little of violence in his daily life, b) knows story conventions/tropes, c) is presented with a location (a fictional universe) with problems, and d) is presented a mighty tool (power ring).

You can complain that his approach is repetitive… inappropriate given the action-focus of the source material… wish-fulfillment… or arrogant. But you have not convinced anybody that Paul’s modus operandi is doomed to fail or dated to cause more problems than it solves. You have not justified insulting the thread author as you have.

16. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

IIRC the lore Zoat is using for how Beastwomen act also makes them into what basically amounts to regular people with some wonky mutations, ala RWBY's Faunus, so the idea that they would even do any of that is entirely non-canon. So, unless Grimnar is trying to say that everyone in WHF would do exactly the same thing the second someone with power stops looking, it doesn't make any sense to even try and make the claim in the first place.

KenNM, Cuchulin, Chirox and 7 others like this.
  17. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    This one went on a date with two catwomen.
    Good luck finding reliable contraception in Warhammer.
    Thank you, corrected.
    I'm writing in 5th Edition. The changes are far more subtle than that.
    I don't think I've mentioned the name of the beastwoman leader before. But I'll correct the double space.
    Are you not familiar with the canonical depictions of beastwomen? Because that's not what they do.

18. Ct613hulu

Ct613hulu Experienced.

The depiction of Beastmen and Chaos followers in general really varies greatly depending on the author. They can be depicted as anything from innately evil fanatics who will always ignore all issues of self-preservation and natural interest in favor of harming the innocent to normal people trying to survive as best can while being forced to serve horrific gods and live in a world full of people that hate them on sight.

The Beastmen are also generally written as a default enemy who can be freely fought by the heroes without any of the normal moral considerations that would apply in a conflict with real people. This limited role makes it rather hard to actually evaluate their moral status as individuals and a society.

The question of whether the Beastmen can be redeemed through the use of overpowered Clarke tech Orange Ring is really up to the author. I can see it going either way depending on how grimdark the author wants to make their story.

19. Tzeentch

Tzeentch I trust you know where the happy button is?

Given how surprisingly helpful and educated Amber Wizards can be despite them avoiding most things involving civilization, I wouldn't be surprised if that was her way of saying, "back off, I'll think about it", and several of the Amber Order eventually show up in the village with research materials on hand, (ghost amber power stones, crystal ball, scrying bones, psychedelic drugs, etc) to help out.

20. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

:confused: I meant within today's post. Like so:
    o_O One of these things is not like the other...

21. Mr Zoat

Oh, right. Thank you, corrected.

Chirox, Ardy, Bramble Thorn and 3 others like this.
  22. Mr Zoat

'Regular women'.

[​IMG]

Wherever you are, leave it.

23. mastermenthe

mastermenthe Mint Thistle

That poster, is that bloodbowl?

ChestBurster likes this.
  24. Mr Zoat

Spike Magazine, Issue 1.

25. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

loath to

Oh, she has a lovely name indeed, doesn't she.

I mean. Beastfolk. It's the case where that adjective is literal instead of figurative.

26. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

I wonder what precautions OL took against the Beastwomen pulling a Jurassic Park switch on him. Chaos finds a way, after all.

ChestBurster and Cuchulin like this.
  27. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    While it's not impossible, the SI has spent some significant time purging local cults and removing dhar focuses. There isn't anything around to catalyse mutation, and the other beastwomen know they're on thin ice and would either report it or deal with it themselves.

28. Ganurath

I thought that this was in Mousillon? Bretonnia's dumping ground for the shameless evils of the setting? How is the waystone network sufficiently comprehensive to ensure that there isn't anything to catalyze mutation, after centuries of entrenched metaphysical corruption?

29. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

Well, WHFB Paul can offer the same options to the Beast Women as Paragon Paul did to the Amazons....the issue is beast MEN after all.

ChestBurster, Cuchulin and DrThoth like this.
  30. Ganurath

Chaos Gods: "We're aware. That's the point."