1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

The total lack of dead planets on the real-time map that Renegade has thanks to his rings and The OLC, or even the smallest mention of any of those stars going critical, says that is very much so not the case.

2. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

You do realize that slower then light effects take time to propagate right?

And that he very specifically doesn't have a real time map since he had to directly ask how things were going?

Rockinalice likes this.
  3. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

That's comics for you.

4. Assblaster5000

Really now?

5. CTrees

CTrees Chasing the ring

on the plus side

6. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

7. SaltyWaffles

SaltyWaffles I trust you know where the happy button is?

I don't really get how four stars could have been slammed into one another already, @MrZoat. The sheer distance involved, not to mention the absurd amount of mass you'd need to accelerate, and finally, figuring out how to use FTL tech on a star rather than a ship with its FTL systems built into it by design just...doesn't make sense.

Sure, I've no doubt that more than one faction could pull it off...given enough time and preparation. Grayven just doing it twice/four times in a matter of minutes while he's also fighting a war just...makes no sense whatsoever.

8. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Welcome to the wonderful world of comic book science.

To quote Amy from Fututama.

'It's like magic, but with electricity.'

boo600, Vorian, ChestBurster and 8 others like this.
  9. Assblaster5000

And sometimes not even that!

10. Baladar

Baladar Know what you're doing yet?

So a god of “conquest” just destroyed an entire system, rather than “conquering” it?

Kind of a out of portfolio thing really.

Prince Charon likes this.
  11. Assblaster5000

Grayven (the actual one, not Renegade Paul) has bluntly stated that he doesn't actually care about Vega, so it's a loss for Renegade and nothing else as far as he's concerned.

boo600, ChestBurster, Bud-E and 2 others like this.
  12. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

So.... he basically has a weapon to control THE ENTIRE STAR SYSTEM and then goes to fight in person?

boo600, ChestBurster and Bud-E like this.
  13. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

I mean, he wasn't going to, but he couldn't refuse the challenge.

boo600, Otto von Saurion and Bud-E like this.
  14. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Zoat is adapting a Starman storyline, merging two different aspects of the storyline.

The Crown Imperial was founded by advanced aliens that gave Starman's ancestor an artifact that allowed him to blow up planets.

So the Crown Imperial advanced rather quickly with a "That's a nice planet you have here, it would be a shame if anything happened to it."

In the Starman storyline, he destroyed it, which in turn destroyed the Empire.

Because the planets were no longer under threats of explosion, they flew away, becuase the conquered planets had all converted themselves into spaceships to escape the moment the planet killer was gone.

So Starman was the last Emperor because his planets flew away from him.

15. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Though the Orrery is from the New Guardians comics that were released in 2012, while the Starman storyline was from the pre n52 era.

16. Mr Zoat

No, he has a device which controls the entirity of the Vega Systems. Many star systems. There is a halfway sensible reason why he's fighting, and it's to do with the fact that Invictus put halfway-decent security on it.

17. Stsword

No, because the Post flashpoint Orrery was a spaceship the size of a solar system so in fact it has no relevance to anything here, since Zoat's Orrery is not a spaceship nor the size of a solar system, and so there is absolutely no resemblace whatsoever.

Zoat obviously named it the Orrery becuase the definition of orrery is "an apparatus showing the relative positions and motions of bodies in the solar system by balls moved by a clockwork."

18. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Zoat mentioned Invictus in the post above yours, and seeing as we haven't seen how this thing looks, but have gotten the name of the guy behind it's creation I'm willing to bet it's like the one that showed up in the New Guardians.

ChestBurster likes this.
  19. Stsword

So you think Grayven thought that a spaceship the size of a solar system would be found buried in some ruins?

Just how low is your opinion of Gravy's intelligence?

20. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

The thing in the ruins may not necessarily be the Orrery.

The thing in the ruins could have been just something that allowed Grayven access to the Orrery, or something that allows him to control it, but the Orrery is in a different location.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2021
  21. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

You kind of proved my point there?

Because that's not a real time map, it's a snapshot map.

Also on a note, I underestimated the effect by an order of magnitude. We're looking at two Supernova's not two Nova's. So yea, a few months to years and Vega's pretty much gone.

22. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

Paul grayven found a krytonian dreadnaught on earth

23. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

You overcorrected your estimate. A type 1a supernova involves one of those stars being a white dwarf. Two ~solar mass stars will more likely produce a luminous red nova. Still significantly more powerful than a standard nova, but not so powerful as even the weakest supernovae.

Vaermina likes this.
  24. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

For specifically type Ia, yea.

But you aren't taking into account the impact velocity of the stars in question. They would have had to have been smashed together at somewhere approaching or even greater then light speed given the time scale's talked about. So we should be talking high level matter to energy conversion here...

25. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

So he needs to kill Paul the Grayven to assume total control.

26. ChestBurster

ChestBurster Getting sticky.

It's ironic that this is the first time we've seen celestial bodies smashed against each other, for a fanfic with space-flight capable Lanterns this has been a long time coming. I've been waiting for this overly specific scenario. Also funny number post moment.

Otto von Saurion likes this.
  27. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Well, YEAH, Ia is the oddball that can trigger on as little as 1.4 solar masses. The other supernova types start at 8 solar masses. If we're talking about typical midrange stars in the 1-2 solar mass range, a merger wouldn't cause a supernova because there's actually TOO MUCH energy relative to the masses involved -- the stars will just have a big, flashy outburst instead of collapsing and exploding. Compare a gasoline fireball to a stick of dynamite.

Also, impact velocity doesn't work the way you think it does. It's not possible to get two stars to have a perfect head-on collision, because that would require a perfectly precise trajectory and no rotation -- and all stars rotate. Their mutual gravitational attraction will cause them to enter into a mutual spiral around a common barycenter as at least one of their atmospheres are shredded through tidal effects. Even if the stars are zipping around at huge speeds relative to each other, the actual impact velocity will be surprisingly tiny.

Assblaster5000 likes this.
  28. nick012000

nick012000 Gone for Good

There's a spaceship the size of a solar system in DC comics? What, did someone bolt engines onto the City from Blame?

boo600 and Bramble Thorn like this.
  29. Threadmarks: Veganism (part 21)
    Mr Zoat

1st September 2012
    16:04 GMT

I get a half-second look at a room filled with a glowing something before all I can see is Grayven's-

Bff! A Duty, Not a Joy.

-fist which sends me flying across the room and into a wall!

Lip damp, nose probably broken. Armour!

"No."

Eyes flash purple and the construct's gone and I try to raise my arms defensively and-

Grgh! Dah!

My vision swims as the Grayven-shaped blur lunges at me! I trigger my aero-discs and flail across the floor just ahead of his stamping boots! Armour!

"No."

AAGH!

I'm breathing unsteadily, staggering back as Grayven jabs-. And by pure chance I manage to block, his fist deflecting off my right bracer. I attempt a counter, but he easily evades and if my vision wasn't so blurry I think I'd see him smiling.

Alright, singularity-.

"No."

Purple beams lash out and my construct's gone and my armour's baked.

Sinest-?

"Learn." He grabs my left arm and tugs me towards him. "Self." Two punches.. to my face… "Reliance." The Strong are Strong Alone.

Snap.

YAAAAGH!

Left arm broken braced it.

"No."

Radion blaster.

The -graaagh- Omega Effect beam hits and the remains of the armour protecting my left arm vaporise, melting skin and muscle beneath, but I shoot with my right hand!

"AhH!"

Grayven swats, smashing the blaster to pieces even as he tries to shield his eyes. If… Ah… If I'm lucky I blinded him. I… Focus, focus. Draw Sword of the Fallen, move… Move towards him, stab-.

He catches my wrist with both hands, his eyes bleeding but still working.

"Weak." "Pathetic."

He twists my arm and then hits-. Shit! I lose my grip on the Sword and he -oof!- kicks me away before catching it.

I stagger back, trying to work out how he's going to come at me next. Restore My Majesty.

"This? What is this?" He turns the Sword from side to side as he look at it. "A hold-out weapon? I expected better." My Sole Dominion.

He tosses it aside before coming at me again. Not rushed-. Not rushing, so maybe his eyes are more hurt than it looks. Brace arm and armour.

The construct appears, but it's translucent. I don't know why, I'm genuinely fearful.

"N-."

Grayven's face glows purple, and he covers his eyes with both hands.

"Agh!"

"Nnnnuuurh!"

I charge and slam into him while he's distracted, his hands weakly striking at my head and shoulders as I keep my head tucked in, keeping going until he hits a wall. I form a fist with my right hand and punch him in the abdomen where his armour looks weakest before pulling back-

The skin is gone from around his eyes, the bones of his cheeks visible through the rents in his flesh. His eyes look deflated, but he can still glare at me.

-and punching him across the jaw.

His head turns with the blow, but I don't think he's taken any real damage. Okay, ah, x-ionised knife… Or… Where did the Sword end up..?

Focus, Lantern-

Grayven's head reorientates on me, hands reaching for my head! In The Land Of The Blind, I Will Be King!

-Grayven.

I stumble back… Aero-discs! I trigger my-.

Grayven jumps, hands clasped together to uhgh! To hit me back into the ground. I Will Break You!

Knife knife knife knife! I get it into my hand as he comes closer, trying to increase the power to my-.
    Weight of Worlds.
    A hit to my chest as he jerks his head back to avoid my stab. My construct sort of survived, but the fact that I actually felt it-. I slash at his hands but I only manage to nick him before he grabs my wrist, grinning as he pushes my knife towards my face in a test of strength. Knife in the other hand and stab.

"Ragh!"

It punched through his wrist armour, flesh and bone but now it's stuck-.

"Agh!"

I step back as he manages to slice my knife through the right side of my jaw.

Behind him I see Sinthia frantically blocking arrows that seem to come from nowhere while a great model of Vega's stars and worlds rotates between us.

Grayven pulls the knife out of his wrist and checks the motion-. He can still move it. I'm not-. I'm not going to beat him in a straight fight. Where did the Sword-?

Hrukk.

Knife… Punched through my neck.

I clamp my right hand around my throat as my reinforcements gutter once more.

I'm losing.

I could die.

I think if I'd taken less hits to the head I'd be more scared.

Need to change…

Can't think.

Grayven grins, his blinded eyes shining faintly-.

I don't have any better ideas. Hope this works.

I lunge forward, arms outstretched. He cuts my arms but I accept the wounds, grasping for his eye sockets!

The Power Is Mine! The Power Is Mine!

"No!" The Power Is Mine!

Purple light-.

1st September 2012
    16:06 GMT

I stumble for a step, then hesitantly raise my right hand to my face. The pretender is.. gone, and my injuries are healed. I am not sure what happened to.. him, but that is an issue for later.

I turn back to the Orrery, where his huntress is standing in shock while Sinthia uses her ring to seal her wounds. I think I recognise-.

Yes.

"Artemis. Your master is dead. Kneel, and be spared."

Last edited: Aug 14, 2021
  30. Lone Courier 6

Lone Courier 6 Wanderer of threads

So Renegade is hoping to consume his other half from within?