1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

spend -> spent

2. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Given his willpower he may not be prone to mood swings, but he will be very stubborn.

Paul has been called Pavlos, so he can call himself that.

His changes may have come later in life or he claimed it was a birth defect.

And seeing as he fought in WWII he'd have likely seen some pretty terrible shit.

Or the army just straight up killed them.

At least Renegade has some knowledge on what his weird serum would do to a human.

Chojin, you're back with Murphy again?

You need to stop this or one day no one will care about you.

3. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

4. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

Or, the method used to maintain the Pax Wulfenbachia.

Rule on the principle of Don't Make Me Come Over There.

5. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

Now Flash flipping out makes a lot more sense. I assumed there was one specific event that caused him to hate the Sheeda, but this is so much worse.

6. Senevri

Senevri Not too sore, are you?

That's...
    The Flash doesn't usually accelerate his mind to the same extent as his body, which makes sense because otherwise he wouldn't actually experience being fast, and a task such as running over the pacific would be EXTREMELY boring. AFAIK, he CAN do it, just generally doesn't, and I think it requires extra effort.

In addition, he doesn't retain information very well from when he's accelerated - a typical example would be when he reads every medical book in the library to help someone, for an example. This could easily be a short term to long term memory conversion issue, although in a Doylist sense it's a game balance nerf.

7. Mr Zoat

You mean that the SI might be lying in order to create a favourable impression?

Shocked Pikachu face gif.

8. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

When just traveling, he wouldn't speed his mind as much, but in combat he would in order to have more time to think and plan.

9. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

And even if he doesn't speed up his mind he'd have still seen all kinds of terrible, evil shit for weeks or months on end.

10. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

It's fine that he's doing that (if he is), but I think it should be clear to the reader if that's the case, through his internal narration. No-one ever brought that fact up before in the discussion about him so thinking about it, it makes sense as a manipulation.

Speaking of lying and Flash reminds me of Diana's disapproval of his conduct to his violation of xenia. Have they talked or interacted at all since that mission? Seems like a lot of potential drama there (but then again, that's true for most of the people and plotlines in the story).

The story likely won't get there, but it should be more of a concern for him over time as he's a low-key immortal now, though it helps that most of his peers are either New Gods too or longer-lived species. Would make his future relationship with Robin quite interesting though as the latter continues to age (and the same goes for Green Arrow and Canary, since I don't think the latter has been Awakened).

Not wanting their loved ones to age and die, such as their parents, might also be a motivation, for Wallace and all of them in general.
    I know Alan is dead in the Renegade timeline but what about Jay and Joan Garrick? After the Frances Kane situation, has he not thought to ask Renegade to Awaken them? Or at least get Mister Miracle, Zatara and Zatanna to work on replicating the Awakening or something. Paula also seems like someone Renegade would want to Awaken, given their history and the increased importance of Artemis in his life.

11. WereDragon

WereDragon Bookwyrm

Interesting note: Despite Holywood’s protestations it is actually very difficult to drown in quicksand. Quicksand is denser than the human body. As such once you are displacing enough of it (somewhere around chest deep for most people) you float rather than sink.
    Still a deathtrap due to how difficult it is to get out but not a drowning hazard.

12. Mr Zoat

Both still alive.
    With Grayven off the team, asking him to do something like that would be a big deal in Wallace's mind. And with Frankie getting her abilities under control, not something that she needs.
    But that was matched by the decreased importance of Paula in Artemis's life. Grayven doesn't hate the idea, but he probably won't be proactive about offering it.

13. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Remove the comma after "Earth".

It's 144,000 sealed, not 10,000, and the rest of the redeemed get to be resurrected on the recreated Earth instead of going to hell.

14. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

What was that one piece of music told from the Flash's perspective? I tried looking it up on Google and YouTube but I kept getting music from the CW Flash series.

Cuchulin likes this.
  15. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

I'm not sure who 'she' is in this case, since I was referring to Jay and Joan Garrick, whose mortality is presumably on Wallace's mind at least a bit, given that Alan and Kent are dead. You didn't address my point about asking Mister Miracle and co. but I believe I must have asked something like that before anyway.

Prince Charon, Ardy and Cuchulin like this.
  16. Odysseus2099

Odysseus2099 Versed in the lewd.

Ballad of Barry Allen.

17. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

If he didn't process the world at superspeed he'd have been a red smear on the wall the first time he used superspeed becuase he'd have just kept running until he hit a barrier he couldn't break through.

And in the episode Bloodlines Bart and Barry talk strategy with each other so quickly that Kid Flash can't make out what they are saying.

Oh and in the comics it was specifically stated to be a short term/long term memory thing that prevents him from remembering all that stuff he reads permanently.

18. Mr Zoat

No, he paused there.

19. Otto von Saurion

Otto von Saurion Father of Wetlands

aren’t

20. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

They already put up with Paragon, so there shouldn't be any problem.

Chojin Patriarch, Ngamer11 and Bud-E like this.
  21. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

I was about to argue that Paul isn't unhinged but then I remembered the last 100 chaps of this story.

22. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

This should be 'important' right?

Chojin Patriarch and Mr Zoat like this.
  23. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

Took me a bit, but with regards to the bit about The Flash's POV during the War, this was an earlier POV piece from Barry around the time of the War Games story like back here

24. Threadmarks: A Waltz in Orange and Green (part 3)
    Mr Zoat

10th September 2012
    09:05 GMT

"Orange Lantern Paul. Or should I say, Lord Illustres?"

The room in which Lord Malvolio is receiving me is a smaller version of his audience chamber/throne room back on his space station. The throne is absent, the smaller space not requiring the same gallantry to dominate. It's replaced with a heavy curved stool which both supports him and subtly emphasises his huge size.

"Either is accurate. I am an Orange Lantern and my rank is Illustres. In some cultures that warrants the appellation 'lord', but the Orange Lantern Corps has no such title structure. Either are preferable to 'wyrmling'."

"Lord Illustres, then. Why have you come here?"

"I wish to improve my abilities as a trainer. The records on Karax are excellent, and I hope to learn from them."

"There are other men such as you, who wield orange light as I wield green?"

"There are a large number of other Orange Lanterns, yes. I have a particular relationship with the orange light which none have entirely been able to replicate, much as I have not seen any Green Lanterns who have… Developed their abilities quite as you have."

"None at all? The thought vexes me and leaves me discomported."

"Humans appear to have a natural affinity for certain types of exotic energy. It may be due to our world being naturally rich in magic; my studies on the subject are incomplete."

"Other than Harold Jordan, who amongst our people serves the Guardians of Oa?"

"May I ask why you wish to know?"

He frowns mildly, staring directly at me.

"If I meant them ill, I would have acted upon my intent long before this day. I wish to learn of them that I may learn of myself."

"I apologise. The true names of certain empowered heroes is not usually public knowledge; you are asking me for privileged information that I am not necessarily at liberty to share."

The stare decreases in intensity, but the frown does not fade.

"Their names are secret? Is that a measure to ward off witchcraft?"

"Ah, might do, actually. It's more that… There was a certain… I'm sorry, I don't know much about the politics of the era in which you grew up."

"I am disposed to assume that matters of disestablishment and limits of parliamentary authority have been resolved; intractable as they did seem, it has been the passing of four centuries as the Earth measures time."

I frown. "I'm sorry; when exactly did you leave?"

"Shortly after the news of the decapitation of King Charles reached mine home in Salford."

"Oh, the English Civil War! Yes! Ah, England still has an established church but attendance is not mandatory and individuals are free to practice whatever faith they like or none at all. And after the parliamentary government collapsed, and after Cromwell reigned as a tyrant and eventually died, Charles the Second was invited back into the country to take the throne. He did alright, but he was succeeded by his brother who was so unpopular that parliament invited his daughter and her husband to take over which more or less established parliamentary supremacy, though the eventual shift in power from the House of Lords to the House of Commons wasn't completed for another two hundred years."

"Doth that bear any relation to the true name of Earth's other Lanterns?"

"Ah. No, I suppose not. I just thought that you might find it interesting. Essentially, the masked vigilante tradition arose in America, where those involved would wear masks to protect themselves against prosecution for their unlawful activity by the authorities they shamed with their superlative achievements. It also served to protect their friends and families from retaliation by the criminals they fought. And while some of Earth's Lanterns have their names in the public domain, not all do."

"Tis a strange thing, but I will not require you to betray their confidence."

"Thank you. Alan Scott picked up a green power ring in the nineteen thirties, and… Various things happened and he has a blue one now. Guy Gardner and Anya Savenlovich have green rings and public identities, while Green Lantern Two Eight One Four A's identity is not public knowledge."

"Then there are four human Green Lanterns at present."

"Yes. Oh, and Carol Ferris has a violet ring. That's it at the moment. Aside from you, obviously."

"I do not know the habits of the Guardians of Oa well, but that number strikes me an uncommonly high. Wallace, bring refreshment."

"At once, my lord."

He turns and leaves the audience chamber, presumably to head in the direction of the kitchens.

"Would you like a seat? As sovereign lord of all I survey I seldom play host to those who are my peers, but it seems that you are more in the manner of a near-equal."

"Thank you."

I float a little way into the air, then generate a construct stool in the same style as the one he's sitting on, but a little smaller and plainer.

"What brings you to Karax, Lord Malvolio? The local Green Lantern is concerned, given that you were on poor terms with the Guardians."

"I mean the man no malice. It would not be proper to blame every knight for the conduct of their king. My purpose here is peaceful pilgrimage, that I may learn the lore of the light I wield with my will."

"That… Might be difficult. The abbot of the order with one of the better libraries recently betrayed them, and a replacement hasn't been appointed yet. I suspect that the local Green Lantern is under orders not to aid you, and he's considered to be the authority around here. A lot of what they record is publically accessible, but a lot isn't."

"I would not wage war while peaceful paths are available. But what of you, Lord Illustres?"

"I'm happy to share with you. I'm curious about how a human becomes.. something like you. Blue Lantern Alan Scott is a good friend of mine, and he's.. not entirely a corporeal human any longer."

"His nature is now akin to mine own?"

"That would be my guess. The Atlanteans have a good understanding of the mechanics of the human soul, but their knowledge of alien technology is much worse. Magicians have always been able to bind themselves to power beyond themselves, but that wouldn't explain why some Lanterns undergo such a change and others don't."

"The mortal soul is a thing to be weighed and measured?"

"I have personally been to both Heaven and Hell. I don't recommend either, though Hell's the more honest."

"You have sojourned as Dante led by Virgil to the realms of the blessed and blighted dead?"

"Earth is a strange place filled with strange people. Would you like the full tale?"

He manages a small smile, though his missized lips make it look a little off.

"Verily."

"Then I should probably start with the reason for my first visit…"

25. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

26. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Though she's not from this Earth.

'refreshments'

An understatement.

27. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

A very reasonable man when his hospitality is not being messed with.

28. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

This is going well... What's Paul going to do to stuff it up this time?

29. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Anyone have a link to where that episode started?

RamiroGalletti, Relyt33, Wivk and 3 others like this.
  30. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Just two old war buds,shooting the breeze.

Next, they'll get out the Pangalactic Gargle Blasters and one will weep into the other's shoulder.