1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    No, 'don' would mean 'put on'. He's taking it off.
    Thank you, corrected.
    No, that's correct.
    He doesn't actually know that Ion exists.

2. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

He’s just being a fanboy for his bestest illustres. I personally find it a bit endearing.

boo600, mastermenthe, BBJimmy and 6 others like this.
  3. ChestBurster

ChestBurster Getting sticky.

Not yet anyway. Could be a plot hook of awesome. wink wink.

4. Dakkan Sall

Dakkan Sall Random Encounter

I'm... not quite sure if it's an artifact of his accent/speech patterns, but it just feels like there's a word missing somewhere in there.
    Might need a comma between "ambassadors, and", though it also just seems a bit weird how he used "And I may" twice in the same sentence. Again, might just be due to his speech patterns.
    So, how quickly is his voice climbing octaves? The unwritten 'squee!' transcends the medium.

5. Michael Vonica

Michael Vonica Know what you're doing yet?

Paul just mentioned the Ophidian, specifically putting it forth as his reason for his quick advancement in the use of orange light. Malvolio could simply choose to ignore Paul's mention of this unknown entity, putting it in the back of his mind as one of Paul's ramblings, or he might choose to be polite, and never bring it up again, and instead allow Paul to ramble about something else. But if he does enquire further, Paul will tell him that it is a spirit that acts as the chief governor of orange light. Naturally, Malvolio will wonder if there is an equivalent being that governs green light. And then he will learn that Ion exists. If Paul gives him enough background on this, Malvolio will even learn that it's not that hard to create a connection with such beings. Assuming Ion cares to answer, or hasn't had his locks tightened. Of course, Paul could also choose to never mention the entities ever again in front of Malvolio, which would be the least chaotic choice.

6. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

I bet Onik has so many questions right now, never mind Dul or Xor... Funny, though, here I thought Malvolio was over ten feet tall. But then, none of the pics I've seen of him have any regular humans for scale. He's simply been described as 'large' which could be anywhere from six and a half to ten or more... Guess he fits closer to eight (about 2 and a half meters, metric.)

They aren't even allowed to rule planets (edit: At least, becoming ruler after they gain a ring.) Still, play your cards right, Dul, and you might be able to make a good impression on the big man.

Well, it's understandable. He's a rogue Spectrum-wielder who's laid claim to an entire Sector as his domain. I can't see the Guardians taking that lightly.

I can practically hear the wheels of 'how can Thanagar profit from this' turning in her head...

Oh, that doesn't sound good. And one more 'crime' for the Guardians to hold against him, too...

...Yet. I have the feeling the bobbleheads will somehow fuck this up. Probably send a Honour Guard-led taskforce in to bust heads and 'restore order'... And not tell them precisely what they'll be facing, unless Hal Jordan's involved. I suspect he'd at least brief any colleagues on matters.

...Sometimes, his archaic speech gets real hard to understand. Though I suspect this has a typo in it or something... At any rate, I think he means 'I would, if I were they.'

Looking to change colours, Dul? I know it's you. Onik wouldn't abandon his chosen path so easily, and Xor is too loyal to jump ship.

Presumably in much the same way Mogo does for the Green Lantern Corps...

It could be a trip, I don't think Thanagar is particularly close to Malvolio's holdings?

Though I doubt the students will be attempting any practical exercises just yet...

Ah, things are about to get trippy, eh? I wonder what this looks like from the outside?

It'll probably be much easier with Enlightenment, since it gives him a much clearer picture of the emotional links.

Though it's likely not as fast as he's perceiving it to be here...

And now to spark the flame within the lantern...

It's amazing how quickly time can pass when you're focused on something...

About three and a half hours. I take it that was quick for him. Not doubt a Maltusian could do it a bit faster, but their detail work is probably a little weaker. The joy of hand-crafting single pieces versus more mass-produced copies...

I am impressed they sat quietly through all that. Then again, given each's interest in the process...

Not bad. Better than the first one we saw you make as a demonstration for the rookies way back when.

Definitely looks like Enlightenment plays a strong part in matters, then. Xor is damn good, but if he couldn't follow...

Not surprising, she's never struck me as that concerned with the deeper esoterica of Spectrum usage.

Hmm... What's that high-pitched squealing I can hear? Nearly ultrasonic...

...Never mind, just Onik vibrating with joy as he fanboys...

Feeling a sudden surge of inadequacy, milord?

Heh. On the other hand, Malvolio, you had to work out the lantern from scratch and studying your own. OL has the advantage on knowing the specs for them, or at least fobbing that part off on his Ring's processors... Like working out a LEGO build from pictures versus building from a clear instruction manual.

Oh boy. Malvolio doesn't know about the Embodiments, does he? Wonder what his reaction will be to knowing there are 'great beasts' out there who so exemplify the Emotion of their colour that they are basically gods... And then how soon until he pokes Ion? Hmm... Let's hope that he understands they're sapient beings to be respected... Or he might end up getting a smackdown from the big green space whale.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2021
  7. Mastigos2

Mastigos2 Versed in the lewd.

My interpretation was basically the exact opposite: to create a lantern is sort of like using sympathetic magic, in that the part is the whole. A single specific desire is also a manifestation of the raw generic desire that is the orange light. And that light is non-spatially bounded. So that specific desire can in turn be used as a window through which raw light can shine. But windows are fragile unless you surround them with sturdy construction.

Or in other words, the real key is to stop treating an orange light projection as a substance, and start treating it as a pathway.

8. ZzzSlothzzZ

ZzzSlothzzZ Dystopian Hugs

Error 404...
    RRoD
    Does not compute....

Did you get the extended warranty on your lantern recruit OL?

Have you tried turning him off and back on?

9. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I'm definitely picturing him as Gregor Clegane levels of tall.

Actually they are.

One Green Lantern was the queen of her people, so it may be allowed for them to be both a Lantern and hold political power.

Though using the ring to overthrow the government, like Sinestro did, is frowned upon, gaining it through legitimate means like inheriting it or being elected to it may be something the Guardians accept.

The most the ring may be used for is for gaining popular support.

I think most people would like a hero as president.

I think they'd both do it quicker and much better given their experience.

10. Khettien

Khettien Perpetually confused

I will to be in a position

I think?

11. Radiant Knight

Radiant Knight Phoenix Fire

Green Lanterns can rule planets. They just can't achieve that rule by use of ring empowered force.

12. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

I stand corrected. Still, doubt the Guardians are happy about Malvolio doing what he's doing...

13. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Considering personal lanterns draw from the main power battery, hence Molvolio trying to set up his own network, I would assume it works something like that.

14. Mr Zoat

Yes, I'm not sure what that was supposed to be either. I'll change it.
    Close-close, or close for a Lantern with a clear destination in mind?

Bear in mind that without an AI Malvolio doesn't have stellar navigtion assists. He flies between stars by picking a direction and flying towards it.

15. iamnuff

iamnuff Connoisseur.

Great.
    You broke him.

16. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

It was bound to happen sooner or later.

Paul just tends to mess up religious people.

Sometimes by making them question their beliefs and other times by slaughtering them.

17. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

Oh that definitely turned him on

18. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

In a spiritual and philosophical sense of course.

Not a sexual sense.

19. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

Considering that when they first met, The Lord here refereed to Paul as "wyrmling' I'm going to say that he's familiar with the embodiments as a concept. He knew without external information (Ring AI or other sources) just looking at Paul that he's connected to the Besk Snek.

Even if Ion has less freedom under the Guardians, she was trapped for most of her history with the Gnat. Though at this point they've got a much better deal with the OLC.

20. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

Oh yeah. LM did call Paul a wyrmling. So he is probably aware of Ophidian, at least.

21. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Or maybe when he tried to step out, Malvolio perceived him as a snake, as Paul did turn into one after dying and being sent to heaven.

22. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

I get the impression that the Lanternists don't, either, so him interacting with them probably won't lead to that information. I'm kind of expecting Guy to try to make Paragon promise not to tell Malvolio about Ion once he finds out about this; the Guardians likely already know.

Has a Maltusian ever hosted an Entity in the comics? I know Humans Are/Earth Is Special is in full effect for both Doylist and Watsonian reasons, but it's still not a good look that I can't think of any examples of them doing so.

23. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Colon instead of semicolon.

The word "ere" means "before" even in archaic English. You could argue he's saying that he intends to have power before they decide what to do, but "whether" would have already been in use at that point in history.

I dunno, this is QQ.

24. MillicentBystander

MillicentBystander Your first time is always over so quickly, isn't it?

Maybe Paul should do a 5 minute craft video on how to make a personal Lantern

Xmaster3000, ChestBurster and Bud-E like this.
  25. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

26. nick012000

nick012000 Gone for Good

Uhhh... Paul? You've made dozens of Orange Power Rings. You do that every time you assimilate someone into a construct Lantern.

Whiteeyes likes this.
  27. Mr Zoat

That's not really the same thing.

28. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

How so?

29. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

The guardians have what, 7,200 regular lanterns and a handful of Honor guards or better?
    With the OLC having been around millions of years?
    If you think these are mass produced copies, you are very much in error.
    At the time scales operate on, they could have spent a year on each one a few million year ago, and been good since.
    With every detail they wanted to include, included, and the only details omitted the ones they considered extraneous.

Vorian, nick012000, Whiteeyes and 3 others like this.
  30. crazygrox

crazygrox Versed in the lewd.

This is the first Malvolio is hearing of the Ophidian isn't it?
    He's going to try to bond with Ion in order to figure out his ring manufacture problem if he doesn't figure it out quickly isn't he?