1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Why did she lay her hand on him?
    Thank you, corrected.
    Thank you, corrected.
    No, not the Green Light of Will. The colour green.
    Dohohoho!
    His grandfather was the first black officer in the US military, a rank he achieved by breaking into the Pentagon and pointing out that if he could do that to them then he could probably to it to the Germans just as easily.

His name was Ulysses Hazard.
    No, her father. Whom she killed in self defence after being repeatedly raped by him.

She held the knife in her left hand, which is why she fixated on that part of her body

2. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

If we're talking pre-Flashpoint then you might have a leg to stand on there (though I've already pointed out that he is neither a supreme being as some seem to think, nor does he seem to have made any part of the multiverse), but in, ugh, n52 and onwards he's been downgraded into basically a schizophrenic that thinks he did a whole lot while the people that actually made everything get no credit.

So no, I'm not mistaken, I'm stating what I have seen and heard about him and what he has done. Which amounts to nothing more than a stronger than average god that people think can do whatever he wants.

3. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

Why not steal his chair and give it to batman?

4. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

Couple questions:

How did Grayven get access to the angel wings that Constantine stored?

Is Magnificus the only Sivana that survived?

ChestBurster and Assblaster5000 like this.
  5. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

I'm sure nothing bad will come of that for anyone involved, no sir. N52? What's that, a vitamin?

6. Mr Zoat

John is currently working at Circe's school. Grayven asked for them.
    The only member of the immediate family, yes.

7. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Problem is, Angels come from the same God that caused a flood that killed a lot of humanity, so thematically a being who is sometimes a tyrant can't eradicate tyranny.

If it was like Buddha, he could help Grayven to control it.

ChestBurster and Whiteeyes like this.
  8. Xammmy

Xammmy Know what you're doing yet?

I am not really getting why he wants the Omega Effect removed in the first place.

Like I get it's not nice, but it's not Ani-Life bad, and not much worse than using yellow and orange power rings.

9. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

It may not be Anti-Life levels of bad but it's still pretty terrible.

In order to use it he may need to feel emotions that he does not want to feel, like dominating others.

Sure he uses fear and avarice but he's been shown as being uncomfortable with having too much control over people.

The Omega Effect may also change him and make him more like Darkseid, which he does not want to become.

If it doesn't change him then it may still harm him.

The guy has a dangerous form of energy in him.

It's not that difficult to imagine why he would want it out.

10. Mr Zoat

The Omega Force turned a normal looking man with red and black eyes into Darkseid.

11. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

The Presence's successor made her own universe and then merged with it to become a pantheistic deity. So if that was actually stated then it just makes no sense, becuase either the Presence is a local god or a universal god and it's very clear that the Presence is a universal god in Lucifer.

And in New Earth cosmology which was never the same as Vertigo, which is why the two universes got merged in Flashpoint, it was directly stated by an angel that the Presence was a pantheistic deity. "You thought the Presence would be on its throne in Heaven? The Presence is everywhere, everything, everyone."

And when Mr Miracle visited Heaven he felt the Source. Which since the Presence is pantheistic, the Source=Presence, because the Presence is literally everything.

And when Maggedon was going to destroy the universe the angels were making their plans to make the next universe.

And when the Lords of Order, angels of the Presence, destroyed the universe in Dr Fate, the Presence recreated the entire universe.

So the Presence is also a universal god in New Earth continuity as well.

12. Xammmy

Xammmy Know what you're doing yet?

We are still talking about the guy who thought just injecting himself with Kobra-Venom while on a mission, right?

13. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Don't forget that when he left in the Lucifer comics the universe went to shit.

There's a big difference between an enhancement serum and something that's responsible for creating a god of tyranny.

Renegade may have finally learned to stop sticking weird things in his body.

14. Lazurman

Lazurman That Others May Fap

Huge difference between super steroids and the chalice that the god of evil drank from.

15. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

Tangentially related to the discussion of the Omega Effect, I've always wondered about a certain phrase used to describe Darkseid: I am the Revelation! The Tiger-Force at the core of all things! When you cry out in your dreams — it is Darkseid that you see!”
    Darkseid, The Forever People Vol. 1 #3

Is Tiger-Force some actual phrase or concept, in real life or comics continuity?

I also searched the Alpha Effect online and it says Highfather uses it (which I knew) but also that Mister Miracle does, which I didn't. Not sure if that's a New 52 thing or older, though. Wonder if it'll play a part in things. There's the Astro Force that Orion wields and other things too, and I'm not sure if all of them are 'just' manifestations of Source energy or something else.

16. Mr Zoat

I assume that 'Tiger-Force' is a metaphor.

17. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Cranius

18. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

19. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

Ok, I thought you'd said it was his God Name that did that?
    Like how Granny Goodness used to look like a hottie before she Mantled Child Abuse, which took an ugly stick and beat her around the block a few times until she fit the image.

20. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I was reading the story only thread, and found that this part is out of order. It was posted later, but the story only should have it as the last part of Episode 109: The Other Half.

21. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Nope, you're thinking of the pre-merger Vertigo comics.

The Presence hasn't appeared at all in post merger.

Whiteeyes likes this.
  22. Threadmarks: A Waltz in Orange and Green (part 8)
    Mr Zoat

10th September 2012
    18:22 GMT

Lord Malvolio holds his third ring-blank in his left hand as it slowly evaporates.

"And so it ever is. See you anything awry in my process?"

I shake my head slowly.

"No, but I only saw a small part of what you did. You… Your green glow is so bright that it's difficult for me to see what you're doing in any detail."

I barely remember what the process for forging a ring was in the comics, just… Ganthet scowling and treating the whole thing like forging a ring with metal. I assume that it was a limitation of the medium, but… Kalmin uses equipment to handle it as well. Maybe it's something that can't be handled by a person just with their connection to the relevant colour.

I could ask Hinon, or one of the other Controllers who've been forging rings for the Corps. Except that the techniques they use might not work for me, and that would implicate them in the whole 'helping Lord Malvolio' thing.

Would someone from 17th century Manchester actually have been called 'Malvolio'? It's a possibility, Shakespeare's plays would have been in circulation if that's where his mother got it from. Given how he was puzzled by me not wanting to give the other Lanterns' names, it certainly seems plausible.

If his parents wanted a joker, well… I imagine that they'd be surprised by how he turned out.

"I suppose… Maybe they shouldn't be created as separate units, but paired with particular lanterns. Do you have a normal sized personal lantern?"

"Nay. Priest was of the opinion that personal lanterns are a crutch best avoided."

I blink.

"What?"

"He instructed me that they were an unnecessary crutch, much as a man who has lived a life free from sin has no need of indulgences."

"So… You… Don't need to recharge your ring?"

"I do not. I see that you are surprised."

"Surprised that it's possible, and surprised that you got the hang of it back in the seventeenth century."

"What does the age matter to the nature of a man's soul?"

"Fair point. I just meant that you wouldn't have had all that much time to get the hang of it before running out of power."

"Priest reinvigorated my ring when its fires began to ebb. His tutelage is why my domains are an entire Sector and not merely limited to the Earth, and the memory of the time where we worked together is why I refuse to slay him for his later treachery."

"How long did it take you to learn?"

"I do not know. We were far from the star of Earth, and the training was too exhausting for me to keep track of the passage of days." He regards me with curiosity. "You mean to say that you have always recharged from your lantern?"

"Yes. Except for the time I was bonded to the Ophidian, but I assumed… The part of us that was her was handling that."

"Priest warned me that it might take longer than a normal man's mortal span to learn the required techniques. Even now he questions my mastery."

"Did he ever make a central power battery?"

Lord Malvolio actually smiles.

"Methinks that he would condescend even unto the Guardians for their reliance on such fripperies. No, he did not."

"Modern Earth has a saying: perfect is the greatest enemy of good enough. One powerful Lantern, however impressive, just won't achieve as much as a dozen who need personal lanterns. I don't think that the Guardians would intentionally cripple their Lanterns, so there must be something else going on."

"A man may oil and sharpen his sword without caring a whit for its wellbeing."

"Yes, but it's still sharp and free from rust at the end of that. 'You can recharge without a personal lantern' is just… Too big a deal."

"I think there is more to the affair on their part, but in truth I do not know them well enough to be sure in my condemnation."

They did have Guy researching high complexity techniques… But I'm focusing on ring crafting at the moment, and I'd rather get a cooperation agreement in place before asking Guy to talk to the man who punched Jordan through a planet. Guy loves the Green Lantern Corps, and I can't see that conversation going well.

"Okay, so you've never tried forging a ring using a personal lantern?"

"Having none, I have not."

"I'll give it a go then." I float my newly created personal lantern up to me. "Please don't mess me about when I transubstantiate."

"Continue at your leisure."

Okay then. I don't step out, but rather hold up the lantern in my left hand and press my right hand against the spout part.

Rings are a focus of the desires of their users, but… I don’t think anyone wants a ring purely to have the ring. I mean, in some places it's a status symbol, but what they want is the status. Others want all sorts of outcomes…

Are there any ring-shaped desires in here? Preferably marked with the orange sigil? I can search for desires relating to control and creation and shape them, but I've got no more reason to believe that will work than…

Anything else I could try, so I may as well try it as well, I suppose.

The Honden is now richly decorated in ring-adjacent desires, and I regularly check them to make sure that no one in my Corps is heading for crazy town.

Ring-adjacent…

Do rings have spirits? Are ring AIs spirits? I wasn't joking about thinking that I might end up coming here full time once I die properly, so I suppose…

Is there anything here that doesn't fit?

Yes, my Agent.

Other than you, you beautiful snake you.

Yes, my Agent. Here.

Oh. That's…

Interesting.

I withdraw my right hand, a ring around my right ring finger.

"You have managed the feat? How?"

"I don't think I have." I take a closer look at the ring. Simple design, no additional AI… "This is Larfleeze's ring. It was destroyed when I… Died. Completely disintegrated by qwa-matter. It-."

Malvolio's head jerks up, and his face twists into a snarl.

"Your pardon, Lord Illustres, but it seems that I must return home. Some fool has tried to release mine most contentious prisoner."

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
  23. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Future OL mentioned that he missed Larfleeze's ring. Does this mean that this recreation will be destroyed or given away at a later date?

24. Mr Zoat

Bonding with the Omega Force was the event that earned him his God-Name.
    You're right, but as it doesn't really change anything I think I'll leave it. That would be a pain to fix.

25. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Also they may not want to share their methods since then you may not need them and they want to keep control.

I'm guessing this is the whole 'recharge with your own will' thing.

Maybe 'Lantern, however impressive, just'

Teaching them this may not be practical.

Malvolio mentioned it may take a long time, so the Guardians could have thought there wasn't enough time.

Also there may not be that many who could utilize the technique.

'Simple'

I'm guessing some Lanterns are there for Priest.

26. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

27. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

Possibly granted independence, if it's fully intelligent, in which case it'd be missed like John Constantine: an absent friend that Paul has fallen out of touch with.

28. DonLyn

DonLyn Getting out there.

The crisis of infinite Pauls changed the way time travel works. Maybe that particular future Paul never learned how to call his ring from the honden.

29. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Fascinating. But is he truly creating a Ring, or merely a construct shaped like one? Or are the two things basically the same, just with the former ending with the construct becoming corporeal matter? Ah, the mysteries of the Spectrum...

I'd be curious as to whether the Guardians, Controllers and other Spectrum-aligned Maltusians have so intense a glow in his empathic vision. He's never commented on it with Hinon, so presumably their saturation is either much less than or far more internalised than Malvolio's..

On the up side, you do know that you manage to work it out eventually. Assuming OL still remembers the future-him encounters clearly enough.

And to be fair, if his mother's husband was aware that he was... illegitimate, the name he chose may have been some manner of subtle reminder of her actions. Who knows?

Admittedly, that doesn't mean he didn't own one, merely that he didn't use it. It probably sat in his subspace pocket, ignored, once he mastered the Ring.

Ah, so the recharging thing was more of a religious thing. Not necessarily of any faith, merely a Zen-style oneness with the universe... A bit like a Maltusian, letting the Light flow through him, shaping it briefly with his Ring before releasing it back into the stream.

...Hmm... Could the Rings of Enhanced Will OL had to deal with not long ago been inspired by Priest and Malvolio's achievements? I wouldn't be surprised of the Guardian who designed them heard of the two and decided to try mental realignment to accomplish that end...

He's got a point. Consider the state of your soul-stuff, OL. It's less than two years old, in total, since you were basically hollow when you arrived here... And yet look at what you can accomplish.

That would have made for some interesting Ring Log-files for the Guardians if they ever looked...

Not everyone has the benefit of a Zen Master Lantern teaching them personally, you know...

He'd probably still do that after a thousand years, Malvolio. Such is the prerogative of a Teacher: Messing with their student.

Heh, there's a fact that surprises nobody...

Something which most of the Guardians seem to live by... Ganthet and Sayd seem to be more mindful of their troops' well-being, thankfully.

It's about control. Making the Central Power battery was likely intended to lock the Green Light under their control. And to be fair, it basically has. Everyone using it makes use of a Ring to do so. The fact that Malvolio has been able to effectively create a fork of the battery will probably tick them off to no end once they learn of it.

Honestly, Guy may like the Corps, but that doesn't mean he has to like the Guardians too. 'Too many sticks up their asses, most of them', that sort of thing.

Yeah, if he's going to be nudging the Ophidian, best not to have any other light too near...

This is going to be fun...

The joy of treading new ground without a map.

Given he's likely the only person who can casually shut a ring off, I expect he gets called in when someone does go full Larfleeze...

Or at least something that thinks it's you. Given the quirky nature of your soul, who knows what'll actually happen?

Oy, leave the flirting for later, you two. :p

What better guide for this than the embodiment of all Avarice, after all? I suspect she can sniff out any desire near-instantly...

Now, what's he got? An actual ring, or merely a lump of metal shaped like one?

Huh. Well, at least he got it back. I guess the desire he tugged on was his regret for having lost it...

Oh, for... Is it Priest, or another Lantern? Or a local warlord who was a little upset about Malvolio's return?

Well, if nothing else, OL can give Malvolio a few pointers on high-speed FTL methods, so he won't have to drag his whole retinue back home... I'm curious to see who or what the prisoner is, if Malvolio has that strong a feeling about their release. Let's hope we get to see them soon. And at least OL will have extra charge to help deal with it...

30. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

I have a theory. Malvolio has found one of the strongest tools in any setting: wordplay.

Malvolio, master of the Green Light, can recharge his ring…

AT WILL!