1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. FeepingCreature

FeepingCreature Not too sore, are you?

Clearly, Paul needs to realize that he can have more charge whenever he wants.

2. Ryumancer

Ryumancer Dragons Are Romance

Well, i suppose we did already know that Alan and Blue ring Paul could hope for a recharge.

3. AmericanNumbers

AmericanNumbers Not too sore, are you?

Given that Paul has access to the Honden at need, it would seem that an automate recharge from the Honden wouldn't be a hard thing to achieve for him.

It's actually a bit weird since we've seen him drain the environment for charge before and again he has access to a dimension filled with the orange light that's owned by a friendly ophidian. This would seem like a natural evolution.

4. ZzzSlothzzZ

ZzzSlothzzZ Dystopian Hugs

Rage, rage against the dying of the light

5. Signaller

Signaller Know what you're doing yet?

Are there Honden equivalents for the other colours?

6. Hell's Razer

Hell's Razer Passive Member

I suspect the difference between the two is akin to looking at a sun and a Dyson swarm.
    The difference in brightness is due to how much more of the power output is being harnessed vs simply being radiated away.

7. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

I'm not saying that The Presence isn't powerful enough to make the multiverse, there are a lot of characters that should have enough oomph to manage making a universe or two at least, I'm saying that (baring some weird retroactive Dreaming nonsense like what happened to the cats in that one Sandman comic) he seems to be a regular god that works the same way all the Earth ones do based on his own admissions in various comics and a statement from the author of the original Lucifer run. Though considering that second one is a Twitter statement that almost certainly didn't go through editorial processes I understand not accepting it as a valid source.

Now if he was made into the actual creator deity of DC by aforementioned retroactive Dreaming nonsense then sure, whatever, but the guy very plainly says he was created by something else, which, if we say that he actually is an independent actor from The Dreaming, leaves only Retconn and The Overmonitor (or any similar beings/groups of phenomenal cosmic power), and The Overmonitor didn't even know creation (including The Presence) existed until it randomly stumbled across it.

There's also the fact that "The Plan" he has can just fail in several cases (including the very existence of The Laughing Magician and that one time Superman didn't want a fancy sword, among many, many others) that make it very unlikely that The Presence is actually an all powerful, all knowing, omnipresent god that made everything to me.

Again, not saying he isn't really strong or that he literally can't be any of those things, but with all the evidence saying otherwise I find it highly unlikely that he is anywhere near as important as people seem to think he is.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2021
    ChestBurster and Lord Ernest like this.
  8. Radiant Knight

Radiant Knight Phoenix Fire

Build for yourself a Lantern of your own Will.

I mean really, I'm surprised Paul hasn't been like, recharging his ring off the Honden whenever he goes through it.

9. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

This could indicate that you can't use the Orange Light like that or he simply doesn't know the technique and that it doesn't automatically recharge when he enters the Honden.

10. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

I have dubbed a potential para-elemental plane of Fear the “hypercube of fear,” based on the assumption that it would have many layers and would feel inescapable.

11. ZzzSlothzzZ

Just to give juping off point/ my 2c

Font of will
    Spring of hope
    Pit of rage <
    Field of love
    Font and spring are synonyms.
    fits in with blue+green = biiig badda boom

Maybe switch them now I think of it
    Baptismal Font/ Saint Walker.
    WILLspring/ wellspring

Love blooms, but can also become a tangled thorny overgrown mess.

Web of compassion?

Something in the back of my mind...something about Buddha?

Fear also web... den...cavern?
    Parralax had batface didnt it?
    ...swamp. I like swamp. misty, messy, drags you down.
    Why yes, my brain did crash on dagobah what of it?

I like the idea behind hypercube, it just doesnt have the same snappy ring to it that honden has.

12. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

I doubt that Parallax would bother. Parallax doesn't cultivate fear, it enjoys crushing the fearful. If anything, there would be an arena.

13. Michael Vonica

Michael Vonica Know what you're doing yet?

Where is Parallax? And what is it doing? Is it trapped in the green central power battery? And if so, does this prevent it from accessing the plane of elemental fear?

14. Caerwen

Caerwen Know what you're doing yet?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cube_(1997_film)

15. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

Where did the term 'Honden' come from in the first place anyway? Paragon doesn't seem especially acquainted with Japanese culture (I don't even remember him making any references to anime or manga, but I might have missed it since Zoat has at least some familiarity with Gate), and I don't see why the Ophidian would employ that term in particular.
    I haven't reread Paragon's first visit to the Honden, which I probably should have, but I'm not sure it'll give me an answer since I think I'd have remembered that.

Whiteeyes and Prognostic Hannya like this.
  16. Prognostic Hannya

Prognostic Hannya Knight of the Yuri Crusade

Man, I didn't expect to like Malvolio when he first showed up, but I am really liking Malvolio. I hope we see our wonderful benevolent tyrant trying to figure out how light switches work.

ChestBurster and Prince Charon like this.
  17. Silverias

Silverias Know what you're doing yet?

I still ship it.

ChestBurster, Assblaster5000 and Ardy like this.
  18. Michael Vonica

I've got questions about elementals. Mostly emotional elementals. Are they naturally occurring? We've seen huge ones like the Ophidian and Ion, which seem to have come prepackaged with the universe, but we really don't see any lesser ones, like how hell is crawling with lesser demons. Demons can be converted into emotional elementals under certain circumstances, like was done to that succubus who became a love elemental. I believe that the terror thing was created by concentrating fear with magic and psychic powers. Michael Siskin's soul probably went through a conversion process, like the succubus, to get turned into fear element by his connection with the terror thing. But do weak emotion elementals ever just pop into existence without someone purposely trying to make one? Or do already existing elementals have the capability to produce more of themselves? I'd guess that's what the Ophidian did with Paul's soul, just breaking off some desire element to shape it into a soul for him. I'd love to see some more about elementals. Sadly, I doubt that DC comics has much of a consistent ruleset for their capabilities.

19. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

Tgere was that comic of the Ophidian telling Larfleeze that he has spent so much time in the Orange that he doesn't really need his ring to control stuff anymore.

Perhaps the Ring is the Personal Lantern? We already know that Central Batteries can be any size so if the Lantern and Rings work why not?

And how does a Ring, an object, made of an Elementary Color 'run out' of energy? It's made of the stuff so if it really hit zero wouldn't it disappear?

20. FreeGod

FreeGod If you see a God on the road fuck it!

I expect the process of recharging your ring without a lantern is similar to the process of creating a lantern. Just skipping a few steps. It might be that logically if you have the skill to make a lantern then you shouldn't need one.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2021
  21. Michael Vonica

Opening a hole in space and pulling something out is one thing. Opening a hole in space and stabilizing it so that you can pull stuff out whenever you want is a step up.

mastermenthe likes this.
  22. ZzzSlothzzZ

Is that why you're not supposed to talk about fight club?

23. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Well... That's because it's not actually made out of Elementary Color...

24. Kuma

Kuma Your first time is always over so quickly, isn't it?

This is from when Artemis is introduced and he gets her with the chili. He should know how to make rings assuming he still has the database from his original ring.

25. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I think that was supposed to be theoretical. In actual practice it's a lot harder than Paul thought it would be.

26. Radix

Radix I trust you know where the happy button is?

Well anything Zoat is aware of, Paragon would be. So if he knows the term to use it in the story, he would know it when he is in the story.

Plus domt forget Renegade knew enough to start an Ogre Tentacle Orgy cult or whatever when he first went Big Grey from the Venombuster formula.

27. DrThoth

Your points are true, though I'm sure Zoat's done a fair amount of research since starting WtR that means he has more knowledge about the setting(s) than the Paragon does.

As for the Renegade, I feel like thinking of tentacle orgies and hentai in relation to Japan is a lot more common/generally known compared to the specific social/religious term 'honden'. I can't speak for anyone else, of course, but this story was the first time I came across the term after being a fairly regular anime-watcher for years.

And if Paragon was the one to name the Honden, picking a Japanese term over something more in line with his major cultural influences (I'm including his interests in Warhammer and other media, not just 'English' or secular Christian stuff) is still puzzling.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2021
    Vorian, ChestBurster and Cuchulin like this.
  28. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

One of Zoat's influences is Magic the Gathering, and Kamigawa Block's Honden cycle was released well before the story began.

29. DrThoth

If that's the reference intended, it makes sense, thank you. Not sure there was a link to 'Honden' somewhere in the orange text when the term first came up in-story.

mastermenthe likes this.
  30. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

The SI doesn't know.
    No, but I was playing Magic: the Gathering during the Kamigawa block.
    He spent a century living amongst spacefaring civilisations. He knows how light switches work.