1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

Whose Lord Protector I don't remember him?

2. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He's the Paul that wields a yellow ring, ended up in the Thundercats universe, gained enlightenment and married a cat woman.

mastermenthe and Bud-E like this.
  3. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

Naturally,
    But which one?

mastermenthe and Bud-E like this.
  4. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Missing closing quote.

Assblaster5000 and Mr Zoat like this.
  5. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

6. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

Sorry if this has been answered, but what does this episode's title, 'A Waltz in Orange and Green', refer to? I'm assuming it is a reference of some kind.

7. Mr Zoat

8. Dappershire

Dappershire Getting out there.

T

Assblaster5000 likes this.
  9. AidanMorgan

AidanMorgan Essentially Overworked

He would T-pose on the super-Lantern, wouldn't he?

mastermenthe and Assblaster5000 like this.
  10. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

I'm sorry for asking this again. But there was a song about the sun somewhere near where Conner first got his heat vision. If someone could kindly point me towards a link, I'd appreciate it greatly.

Someguy Somewhere likes this.
  11. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

The Sun Is Also A Warrior
    Back Here.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2021
  12. Threadmarks: A Waltz in Orange and Green (part 11)
    Mr Zoat

10th September 2012
    18:34 GMT

A wall of rock projects upwards four thousand kilometres from the shattered planet's cold outer core and gosh I love seeing sites like this. Krypton's fragments glittered but there's something… Some sense of absoluteness of a rock face that couldn't exist on any surface just being here. The mind can scarcely comprehend it; I'm having to shake my head as my brain tries to tell me that it is a floor and not a wall. And there's no atmosphere and no horizon so I can see until the end of it.

I need to bring Jade somewhere like this. I don't know if she'll appreciate it in the way that I do-.

"You were the one who released Malvolio, were you not?"

I tear my eyes from the vertiginous vista and drop them to Lantern Priest himself. He's hairless, red-skinned and wears a simple white robe which leaves his arms bare. His arms are long enough that his hands rest on the ground when he's standing upright, and the only protective clothing he's wearing are the two large bracers which cover both his forearms and the backs of his hands. A gold coloured plate covers his head from the middle of his forehead over the top of his head and back to the base of his skull. A pale yellow force field protects him from the environment and his eyes are sheer black ovals set diagonally into his face.

"Yes, that's me. Pleased to meet you in person."

"You are more interesting in person. Why are you here?"

"Some Green Lanterns decided to break you out. Lord Malvolio is fighting them now. I tried to encourage them to negotiate, but neither were particularly interested."

"I had thought that Malvolio was beyond such pettiness by now."

"Exactly what sort of pettiness are you referring to?"

"Using violence as his first recourse."

"I'm.. not sure that that's what he did. He went to Karax to learn more about the Green Lanterns, and I had a lengthy talk with him about Lanterning in general before Green Lantern Guy Gardner tripped the alert."

"Another human?"

"Oh. Right. Yes, we're off the 'Do Not Recruit' list. A Green Lantern called Abin Sur needed a replacement desperately while he was on Earth, and since Lantern Jordan turned out alright the Guardians okayed the rest of us."

"He did not demonstrate Malvolio's superlative abilities?"

"No. Guy's better, but none of them are Lord Malvolio. My friend Alan's a little closer, but he uses a blue ring these days."

"Ah, Earth."

"We get that a lot. Look… Do you mind being here?"

"Compared to what?"

"Any other location that we could negotiate."

"Now that I am freed from the need to confine Malvolio, I have the opportunity to continue my own studies of the green light of will. My only concern is what Malvolio is doing without my oversight. When he controlled this region he made himself the focus of-."

"Of their entire society and they couldn't function without him. He knows, and he wants to fix that this time."

Priest reaches up to stroke his chin with his right hand.

"That surprises me. I had thought him too inflexible to consider modifying his approach. Perhaps in a few centuries he might truly understand the green light."

"Right, but what about you?"

"It… Might be interesting to see what Malvolio does with his freedom."

"Last time we spoke, you told me that his will was crowding out the will of everyone else."

"That is not limited to Malvolio. The confident can inspire others to follow their example through their certainty. Life is full of things that inspire uncertainty, and it is a natural response to find this state uncomfortable."

I nod.

"'Make me an autocrat and I'll solve your problems without any of that confusing 'free will' business.' I'm familiar with the idea."

"His command of the green light takes him beyond the abilities of mundane tyrants."

"The conclusion then being that strong Lanterns should avoid other people so they don't contaminate their thought processes?" I shake my head. "That's not a viable solution, even if the effect is as strong as you're implying. Look, what sort of assurance that he's improving do you want?"

"'Do I want' in order to achieve what end?"

"To tell the visiting Greenies that you don't want to be rescued so that I can talk them into standing down so that neither they nor Lord Malvolio die."

"Have the Guardians renewed their sentence of death?"

I frown. "I'm… Not exactly the first person they'd tell-." Wait. He wouldn't-. "I don't work for the Guardians."

"Then where did you get that ring?"

Because he's been stuck in this Sector for hundreds of years and so hasn't heard anything about the Orange Lantern Corps. He probably hasn't heard of Sinestro and the fact that Qwardians can make power rings.

"I'd be happy to fully brief you later, but a friend and an ally of mine are trying to kill each other now."

"I was willing to leave the Corps rather than kill Malvolio when I last received that order. The fact that he has moderated his position has not led me to change my mind for the worse."

"I-. You have conditions for your rescuers?"

"I am content to remain here. If they want me to leave, there are things they must do."

"Ah, okay?"

"Malvolio acts as he does due to his concern for the people of this region, not because he covets power for its own sake. I will not go anywhere without a peace treaty between his Sector and the Green Lantern Corps."

"And from Lord Malvolio?"

Priest hesitates, then looks upward at the burning green universe above us.

"A better view might be nice."

"Okay. I'll see what I can do. Excuse me."

Last edited: Aug 30, 2021
  13. Vanbers

Vanbers Well worn.

Greenies: "Finally! We're here to rescue you!"

Priest: "Bah, what's in it for me? I'm on vacation right now."

I know that's not 1-to-1 what's happening, but it's amusing to imagine.

Yeah, their recue-ee not wanting the rescue makes them kidnappers, and their job significantly harder.

14. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

The madhouse of the galaxy.

'reaches'

Green Lanterns are stubborn by nature, and Malvolio is especially stubborn.

15. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

I dunno, he seemed pretty reasonable lately.

16. CTrees

CTrees Chasing the ring

Covets

17. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Sounds... Spectacular. A pity there's no real word to sum up such a titanic natural sight. Well, not that I know of, anyway. But it's a pity he hasn't the time to flit around taking in the sights.

...I get the feeling these coloured quotation marks drove you a little loopy, Mr Zoat...

...Yellow? interesting. Technological protection sourced from a local race, or did someone drop off a certain other kind of ring?

Oh, I'm betting Priest has some damn sharp Empathic Vision, doesn't he? And OL's soul must look amazing to it.

No concern for his fellow Lanterns? No worry that Malvolio might get carried away? He's very Zen about things, isn't he?

Because a user of the Green Light should be above such things?

...I can't help but picture him thinking 'Oh, no, not again.' That or 'How many Lanterns does one world need?'

Hmm... Curiosity as to whether Spectrum use comes naturally to humans, or just concern that there's another Malvolio on the rise?

...He doesn't seem very surprised to learn about the Blue Ring, doesn't he? I mean, sure, meeting OL probably let him know there were more lights...

I'm sure it's nice and quiet, but wouldn't someplace you can breathe unaided be better?

Good grief. He really is treating this as a holiday, isn't he?

Finally, he moves. I see something finally cracked that placid shell.

Heh. Indeed.

True enough. I'm sure there are plenty of examples out there, even outside the twenty-year edge of Rule 8. Not least amongst them Hitler, eh?

I can just see a Pratchett character saying that.

Interesting idea, though. And not that far from concerns you yourself have had, aren't they, OL? We've seen that blue Lanterns can inspire Hope in others, certainly.

Because even if the Green lanterns can't actually kill under normal circumstances... Accidents can happen in Ring combat...

...Wait, did Priest never question the origin of the Orange Lanterns?

Yeah, I don't see him being the kind to keep up on current affairs... Not when he could be meditating on the Green Light.

Aw, give him a chance, big guy. Let him show you how he's mellowed out...

Bet that would be a shock for the Lanterns to hear. "Oh, you came to rescue me? Did I send word that I needed aid?"

In other words, you want the Guardians to say 'Let this guy handle it.'

Heck of a sight.

Let me guess: You want to knock on the sky, and listen to the sound?

I get the feeling OL might be stepping back and forth for a bit in the next couple of scenes... Unless he can manage to calm things down up there quickly. Unfortunately, not all Grene Lanterns are as Zen as Priest here, and I suspect Guy and Malvolio are getting along about as well as Phosphorous and water do...

A gold coloured plate covers his head from the middle of his forehead...

18. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

And Paul can also influence others.

He did it with the pirates and he may have accidentally did it with Hera when he convinced her to divorce Zeus.

19. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

I'm glad Priest is so calm and rational but why is he so bent on helping Malovio he's spent 400 years in prison thanx to him?

ChestBurster, Cuchulin and Relyt33 like this.
  20. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

21. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

I can see why the Guardians want him back.

He would probably be invaluable in training up more Lanterns.

I also love his reaction.

"This is utterly impossible!"

"Earth"

"Understandable, have a nice day"

22. Mr Zoat

Not quite. Malvolio is about four hundred years old. He hasn't been a Lantern for that long, much less been in prison that long.

23. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

He only went to prison after Malvolio got released, right? He’s been there less than a year.

24. Revlis

Revlis Getting sticky.

Said it before, will say again: Earth, the Florida/Australia of the universe.

ChestBurster, Whiteeyes and DrThoth like this.
  25. Rockinalice

Rockinalice Versed in the lewd.

Mr.zoat i was rereading clarion call and noticed that you mentioned the some angels where gonig to mt.Etna i was wondering if they attacked it and if they did were there Consequences for them attacking one of the Olympians home/Forge

DrThoth likes this.
  26. Mr Zoat

Priest has. But the comment you quoted was talking about how long Malvolio was imprisoned.
    They were going to, but it got called off.

27. Rockinalice

Rockinalice Versed in the lewd.

So looking at all these lantern cores I'm wonder how Necron is going to do blackest night. because as far as i know he needed the anti-monitor to make his black central power battery and there is only One of him in the multiverse. so how that works with the various universe that Necron does blackest night confuses me.
    And also since Mr.zoat can use Death of the Endless without asking Neil Gaimen. I'm wondering how she would feel with someone like Necron trying to take over her since she isn't a embodiment but is Death and he's trying to Death to kill everyone and if someone like Paul would pull Gromweld and stop him and ask if she would like to run the corp after getting rid of him

28. Mr Zoat

My Nekron is very different in origin to the canonical one. Necrons would manage Blackest Night fine due to not having hearts.

29. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

I... really want to turn this into a joke about British spelling, but now I'm wondering if Space Marines outside the Thousand Sons are especially vulnerable to Black Lanterns.

30. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

Leman Russ didn't much worry about it.

"I PUNCHED OUT ONE OF HIS HEARTS! WHY DOES NOBODY REMEMBER THAT?!" - Magnus the Red, TTS