1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

> Leman Russ

... you know, considering this fic crosses over with both Warhammer and MLP, I'm surprised that it wasn't until just now that I'd thought about Lemon Rush.

mastermenthe likes this.
  2. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

The listed creators of Nekron are Mike Barr, Len Wein and Joe Staton, and they're all American.
    No, the Thousand Sons would be completely invulnerable. Black power rings reanimate bodies, and the Rubric Marines had their bodies reduced to dust by the Rubric of Ahriman.

I imagine that other marines could fight on with one heart, though presumably they'd still be feeling the emotion that cost them their first one.

3. Rockinalice

Rockinalice Versed in the lewd.

I am rereading the story and i noticed at the end of "wing and dagger part 22" it showed Hades speech in Orange when paul told him about the Billions of souls he just put on his plate. and i was wondering if more souls in the underworld mean an increase Hades power and if it does by how much because right now he has more souls then every single Olympian combined (if I'm understanding it right please correct if im wrong).

Cuchulin likes this.
  4. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

The other Olympians don't really deal with souls.

Also I think it was mentioned that it doesn't increase his power.

If anything it decreases it since he's using it to give the souls more agency and personality.

He just really loves his job.

5. cereal_lurker

cereal_lurker Getting sticky.

I think when this question was asked before the answer was that adding all of those souls would marginally *weaken* Hades, as he is splitting the power of Erebus between more souls as the Olympian gods don't actually gain any power from their worshippers or others within their demesne. Though the power loss was pretty negligible and unlikely to make a difference in anything that happens.

ChestBurster and Whiteeyes like this.
  6. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

Unfamiliar with that one. Tried looking it up all I git was this: didn't see a T pose there.

Got a link?
    I was actually thinking this one till you 2 said that one.

ChestBurster and Whiteeyes like this.
  7. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I think they may actually gain some powers from worship.

Or at least find it easier to use their full power in the mortal realm by the amount of worshippers they have.

Though Hades apparently hasn't used his full power since the Titanomachy so he isn't too bothered by losing some of it.

Whiteeyes and Bud-E like this.
  8. Ryumancer

Ryumancer Dragons Are Romance

T-Pose

9. cereal_lurker

That might be correct. I think the discussion at the time was that "there was a god for every belief", which would translate to something like "there are versions of every god at every power level" in The Dreaming and which one exists in the world depends on the individuals' beliefs connecting each version from The Dreaming to the material universe.

mastermenthe and Whiteeyes like this.
  10. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

That's actually true to the Sandman comics, as in there are different versions of every god at varying power levels, but I don't think Zoat is going to add that element here.

mastermenthe likes this.
  11. Rockinalice

Rockinalice Versed in the lewd.

Well if this is the DC universe then that means we never see any God at full power. because of the fact that you have the god that you interact with in the individual universes and then you have their Godheads that are in the Sphere of the Gods outside of the DC universes and can't be brought to the regular universes without destroying them from their metaphysical Size/weight like when we are shown Darkseid Godhead. ( the best example i can think of to describe Gods and their Godheads is how the book series "The Chronicles of Amber" and Plato describes platonic ideals that everything has and ideal/perfect version of it self I'm not really describing it correctly). All the Gods in dc are just Emanations from their Godheads so you have hades the god in the various dc universes which are all connected to the Godhead HADES in the God Sphere.

Sorry for all the rambling i find it hard to put all this into words

Last edited: Aug 30, 2021
    mastermenthe and cereal_lurker like this.
  12. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I don't think Zoat is using the whole Godhead thing here.

The Darkseid in this story isn't part of some greater self, he's just an uber powerful demi god.

Though Old Gods like Hades apparently can create avatars to interact on the mortal plane.

cereal_lurker likes this.
  13. cereal_lurker

That was my impression as well from this story - that "Old Gods" are basically masses of The Dreaming with an outer shell created by beliefs. So they would be more malleable in form, and take on whatever form or powerset people give them. While "New Gods" are basically demigods or mortals who has achieved such a power that The Dreaming empowers them... Similar to Lords of Chaos/Order/Whatever, as mortals basically supplement/replace their natural soul/mystic energy with energies from another plane.

14. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

New Gods are actually just empowered by the Source, not the Dreaming.

Whiteeyes and cereal_lurker like this.
  15. cereal_lurker

Close enough. Considering the SI has heard from multiple magic-researchers that messing about with The Dreaming has the potential for unmaking all existence (possibly hyperbole). My impression was that The Dreaming is basically a base boiling pot of energy with 'Reality' as a small crusty cheese curd forming at the top... so The Source vs. The Dream the distinction seems more arbitrary/irrelevant to the story. They're both reality-shaping mega power sources.

EDIT-- Sorry, I don't mean to say that I consider them to be the same. The Source and The Dreaming are different things. I am just seeing from this story that **if** you can say a mortal "connects" with the collective dream of a thing, like Renegade could have "connected" with the collected dreams of Conquest individuals in the universe may have had and thereby gain divine inspiration/guidance on all manner of Conquest... then saying it was a connection to The Source or to The Dreaming doesn't really make a difference... I don't remember seeing anywhere in the story where the distinction between The Source and The Dreaming was particularly relevant... but I am happy to be corrected if someone else has a better memory than me.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2021
    Cuchulin likes this.
  16. Doccer

I know what a T pose is I am wondering when a JoJo character posed like that. And what about it would be insulting enough that Gardener would make it to Malvolio as people are saying that's the JoJo pose he would totally make.

17. Ryumancer

Ryumancer Dragons Are Romance

I don't think any Jojo characters have actually made that kind of pose, but... it doesn't have to be insulting, either. Rather, if Gardener's making a JoJo pose (instead of whatever pose he actually made), it'd be for the memes. T-Posing to assert dominance is just as much of a meme as JoJo poses, and therefor, if Gardener is meming on Malvolio, it's just as valid an option.

mastermenthe and Xmaster3000 like this.
  18. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

The 'strike a pose' pose from the 80's Madonna music video.

Because I see Guy having seen that video more likely then having watched JoJo.

Yes and no. Malvolio was imprisoned on one side of the barrier. But "Now that I am freed from the need to confine Malvolio, I have the opportunity to continue my own studies of the green light of will," makes it sound like the cost of keeping Malvolio imprisoned on one side of the barrier was recruiting effectively chaining Priest on the other side of the barrier to constantly maintain it.

19. Threadmarks: A Waltz in Orange and Green (part 12)
    Mr Zoat

10th September 2012
    18:37 GMT

Following Guy's desires back is simple, though I'm careful to

leave enough of a gap that I'm not immediately caught up in the melee. Ships… Yes, they're not too far away now. Close enough that they could get closer and join in the fight if Malvolio wanted them to. I'd guess that he doesn't think they're powerful enough to do much against a Green Lantern of Guy's power.

Guy fires a construct-American football at Malvolio's momentarily exposed head as Apros explodes spatial charges all around him. Malvolio catches the ball without looking and uses the connection to Guy's ring to pull him closer. Guy tries to strengthen the link and toss him aside, but with a small grimace realises that he can't. A shotgun construct appears next to him and shoots the green link connecting him to the ball, the crumbler round severing the link and allowing him to evade Malvolio's volley. Apros makes more mine constructs and does something to cause them to shrink before sending them in Malvolio's direction of travel.

Where are the other t-? Oh. Mohawk-ponytail is collecting bits of treeman, who glows as he tries to reassemble himself. Okay, no one dead yet, I've got a chance.

"Illustres to closest blond Green Lantern."

"Lan-." His face appears above my ring, clearly somewhat distracted by the ally he's shielding while he reassembles his torso. "You. Did you get Priest?"

"I spoke to Priest, and he's not impressed about this. He wants to stay here and for you to leave."

"Why?"

"Because he thinks he can turn Malvolio into a better Sector Lantern, and because he doesn't think that his imprisonment is worth killing over."

I transition over to them, block an instinctual energy bolt and play a purple ray over the treeman's injury. It responds reasonably well, dead and dying wood coming back to life and growing back into the whole.

"Mind telling me your names?"

"Green Lantern Avir. Sorry."

I glance at him. "What for?"

"Lantern Vinkent." Treeman Vinkent checks his torso for damage, but finds nothing. "Thank you, but I must return-."

I stick a construct harness around him.

"No. I healed you. If you get back into the fight then I've picked a side. You're sidelined."

Avir raises his ring.

"That-."

"I wouldn't have been able to fight on."

"You could have your ring sub someone in, but around here that would probably result in it either going to someone who would support Malvolio, or to someone in your home Sector who wouldn't know what was going on."

Avir considers for a moment, glancing back to where the two Honour Guard Lanterns are sheltering under a shared shield as Malvolio bombards them with construct cannons.

"Fine."

He flies back towards the fight, fishing something out of his equipment harness as he does so.

"Right. Lantern Vinkent, please tell me exactly why you're here."

"To rescue former Lantern Priest and gain intelligence on Malvolio."

"And was that Guy's idea, or was he ordered to do it by the Guardians?"

"The Guardians-. He said they were okay with it."

So they didn't specifically order it, but given Guy I can't tell whether 'okay' means that they didn't protest or that they strongly advised it. Guy's not going to answer me while he's-

I'm mildly touched as I see that he's taken a leaf out of my book and switched to railguns with iron slugs.

-busy shooting his target. Who can tell me more? Whichever Guardian gave him his original orders and is presumably monitoring him a little more closely than they do most Green Lanterns, but I don't know which of them that is. No way to learn more, then. Who can tell Guy to knock it off? Illustres Chaselon, whoever the other Illustres is, Clarissi Salaak and any of the Guardians.

Who might actually take my call?

"Ring, contact Illustres Chaselon."

"Compliance."

I hadn't bothered with sorting out an official Corps to Corps point of contact because I know that any of the Earth Green Lanterns would answer me and two of them are Honour Guard Lanterns. But between him and Salaak-.

Chaselon's eyes appear above my ring. He doesn't say anything.

"Guy Gardner, Apros and Avir are presently fighting Lord Malvolio, ruler of Sector One Six Three Four. Are they supposed to be?"

"Why are you asking?"

"Because I'd like them to stop and discuss their differences and not actually fight unless they were irreconcilable."

"What is your stake in who wins?"

"Ah, Guy's a friend of mine, and Malvolio has peacefully unified a Sector that had been at war with itself. Malvolio also has some non-standard ideas about what power rings can do that I'd like to study more myself."

He rotates away to look at something off-camera for a moment.

"Honour Guard Lantern Gardner's order to research esoteric Green Lantern abilities comes from the Guardians. I can't countermand it."

"Guardians or a Guardian?"

"I don't have access to that information. If the Guardians have disagreements, they resolve them in private."

"But if he hasn't specifically been ordered to fight or kill Malvolio?"

"Then he could be ordered to stop. But if a Guardian declines to make such an order, the rest will probably follow their lead and leave Lantern Gardner to it."

"I don't suppose you know which Guardian originally ordered Malvolio's death, do you?"

"No."

Ugh. Okay, it sounds like Chaselon is prepared to put me through to a Guardian. But that Guardian might want Malvolio dead or locked up. Or they might consider it to not be part of their range of responsibilities. That's why I'm not asking to be referred right to Apa Ali Apsa, who would probably find this Sector to be an interesting case study. Ganthet's usually Earth's go-to Guardian, but I know for a fact that he was also the one who backed Jordan's decision to remove Sinestro from office. Sayd, maybe? I don't have good records on the rest of the Guardians-.

"Ring, second channel. Message to Hinon. Need to stop Green Lantern fighting someone with weird green light powers before someone dies. Which Guardian do I ask? Send."

"Message sent. Response received. 'Guardian Broome Bon Baris'."

I suppose that you can't vivisect someone if they're dead

"Chaselon, could you put me through to Guardian Broome Bon Baris? I'll try and get her to call Guy off."

"Try. Yes."

Last edited: Aug 31, 2021
  20. Citizen

Citizen Well worn.

I just know that Ganthet's one of the more compassionate Guardians, should I assume that Broome Bon Baris is normally a problem child?

21. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'fires'

'to life'

22. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

"I would like to talk to your manager, please."

23. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

So Paul is a Karen?

I can see that.

24. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

25. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

In the Green Lantern movie, she was the one who approved the creation of a yellow ring. In comics, he was both the one to find Sinestro and the one to cut off his ring access. (Probably, this is secondhand.)

26. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Typical green stubborness on all sides.

Also, that Paul or Dox have set up no official channels is a pretty big oversight. Don't their Lanterns claim the same sectors?

27. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Yeah, at this level of Lantern combat, anything without Spectrum technology would be an annoyance at best. At worst, they're ammunition. As in, something to be grabbed and thrown at the opponent... And I suspect Malvolio has a bit of ego playing part, wanting to be seen defending his territory...

:confused: ...A football? What was that intended to do, Guy? Explode? Impressive idea by the jellyfish, but I don't think Malvolio's likely to even notice them going off...

There's a rare sight. A Green Lantern who uses healing on themself? True, it's probably possible because of his arboreal nature, but still...

Not quite 'quit making noise and get off my lawn', but the sentiment was probably in there...

Probably the first real peace and quiet he's had in years, after all...

You know, so he can make a note of it on the gravestones if you get in the middle of that furball.

No harm, no foul.

So you can get turned into woodchips? I don't think so, leafy.

Time to quote Cap here: "Son... Just... Don't."

True. You were doing a passable impression of firewood there.

Yeah, kid. Do you want to get in on that action? I doubt three Lanterns will do much more than two.

Betting he's pulling some kind of mental disruptor or something. Seems like a likely option for fighting someone that powerful in the Spectrum...

Yes, please do clear up, who's bright idea was this? If only so OL knows who to yell at first.

'Strongly Advised' being political speak for 'We can't say this outright, but we trust you'll pick up on it.' Gah, REMFs at play...

The trick will be convincing them that this is a bad idea and they should call it off right now. Because, well, Green Light stubbornness...

Since going to Salaak would probably get the connection refused with a stern 'Please don't interrupt me, I'm busy...'

Admittedly, neither of those Honour Guard Lanterns are likely to be on your side on this. Hooray for bad first impressions...

Well, that's direct. I suppose Chaselon is the sort to appreciate it, though. His time is likely valuable.

Especially since at this point, anything in their way is likely to get broken. Like, say, a planet.

At least Chaselon is likely to have read the files on all involved. And not just the short version, the full files. So he'll likely be aware of Malvolio and Priest's connections...

...Not sure how this relates to researching 'esoteric Lantern abilities'... Unless Guy was looking to talk to Priest...

One big happy family, huh? at least, where anyone might see.

Argh, damn Maltusian habit of not getting in each other's business...

And depending on when the order was given, that Guardian may not even be alive anymore...

And really, how many others do you know the names of anyway? Enough to recognise their character, anyway...

Well, that was quick. Let's hope this gamble pays off...

Hopefully, they at least acknowledge that Malvolio might have objections to such invasive study...

...Well, then... Time to diplomance the shit out of this Guardian, OL...

Okay. Well, this could go swimmingly well. Or backfire hard. Any dealing with the Guardians tends to be a coin-flip, really. And this one in particular? ...Well, anyone who picked Sinestro as a good candidate... Oh, boy. Yeah, this is going to rely a lot on OL's ability to bullshit. I guess we'll see how the dice roll tomorrow.

28. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

Is this Guardian the one who wanted to dissect Paul when he first spoke to The Guardians?

Whiteeyes, Wivk and moralrelativity like this.
  29. Doccer

Never heard of him. Sounds daunting.

moralrelativity likes this.
  30. Mr Zoat

Sort of. Aside from a couple of cases, the entire Orange Lantern Corps is active around Reach space where Green Lanterns are largely irrelevant. Both the SI and Xalitan have contact with their local Green Lanterns and that's the entire overlap covered.
    That was the impressionm he got, yes.