1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

That could backfire on Paragon...

AngelicKnight. likes this.
  2. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Modified.
    Thank you, corrected.

3. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

I know the Guardians/Maltusians can alter their appearance at will, so why does Broome look shriveled instead of slightly aged like the rest of her siblings?

SaltyWaffles likes this.
  4. SaltyWaffles

SaltyWaffles I trust you know where the happy button is?

He didn’t even do anything. He’s an empath.

5. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

She may prefer to look like that or she just let herself go and decided not to change it for some reason.

Ardy, Bud-E and AngelicKnight. like this.
  6. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

Thank you so much for that clear explanation. Much appreciated.

Coda likes this.
  7. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

Either she likes it like that, or she doesn't care about it.

Ardy and Bud-E like this.
  8. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

Something to clarify, because the previous instances of 'former' look like typoes to me.
    Lanterns are galactic peace officers. They became that way by being given the equivalent of a badge and gun (the lantern) by the relevant authority.

But the position is not solely dependent on those things. If a wild west sheriff got captured and disarmed by the Chief of an Indian/Native American Nation, that doesn't make him an ex-sheriff. It makes him a captured, disarmed sheriff.

Just because the Guardians taking away your lantern and ring makes you a former lantern, doesn't mean someone who isn't in charge of the GLC doing the same thing removes you from your job. If you weren't fired, and you didn't quit, i don't think being separated from your lantern matters.

Prince Charon likes this.
  9. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

Priest was fired for not killing LM.

10. Herb19

Herb19 Your first time is always over so quickly, isn't it?

A possible solution could be writing the different speach on opposite ends of the page. They would still overlap, but there would be more distinction between speakers.

11. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I just found that this links to a broken picture. Based on the description, I think it was when Salaak put the Alpha Lanterns in their place. Is there a replacement picture?

Xmaster3000 and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  12. Mr Zoat

I'll change it when I get home.

13. AverusBlack

AverusBlack AKA Aisling

Broken links are so frustrating. That problem was why I stopped linking references in my own story, having to go back and fix links I barely remember months later seemed so impractical. I'm a little impressed at the dedication to the effort.

14. Bramble Thorn

If he was fired, how/why was he able to maintain the prison?
    Can he use the green light without a ring?

Xmaster3000 and Doccer like this.
  15. Mr Zoat

These days I keep a copy of any image I want to link to saved on my computer, reducing the time it takes to put it online and link to it. Unforunately I'm on my third image host for this story -huh, the same as the number of hosting sites- so some of them aren't right at the moment.
    He can recharge without a personal lantern, so possibly.

16. scooterboo

scooterboo Getting out there.

Would you be interested in self hosting? A linode server costs $5 a month, but no one can pull your images. I could set you up with a small Linux+apache webserver to host images on.

You could upload images with an ftp client like filezilla. Or have synced folders with winscp.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
    mastermenthe likes this.
  17. Mr Zoat

No.
    Done.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
  18. Threadmarks: A Waltz in Orange and Green (part 14)
    Mr Zoat

10th September 2012
    18:44 GMT

"Do you have recruitment authority?"

"Not like you do, but if a Sector doesn't have a Lantern I could probably make it happen."

"Then here's what I propose. The Green Lantern Corps recognise Lord Malvolio's rule of Sector One Six Three Four. The Green Lantern Corps will agree not to enter the Sector without his authorisation or the authorisation of duly designated officials in the Sector's government. Permission to enter for a stated purpose does not give general permission to come in and do what they like."

"Thought you didn't like what we did with tha Reach?"

"It's not the same thing. Malvolio isn't carrying out genocidal purges amongst the species he rules. If a stellar nation who were managing their own affairs fine and not bothering their neighbours didn't want Green Lanterns in their territory, I wouldn't have a problem with that. That's part of why the Green Lantern Corps recruits locally rather than just assigning people from-."

"You intend to have Priest take up his duties once more."

"He's slightly upbeat about how you're responding to everything that's happened-."

"Three centuries of imprisonment while all that I had built turned to ash. There are fewer people in this Sector now than when I was imprisoned. Did you know that? Between the internecine wars and the collapse in trade, the population has shrunk. Their understanding of natural philosophy has stagnated. I lay this at his door."

"And I'm sympathetic. But you were personally trapped in a star system. If you'd never had that ring, you would have never left Earth. You probably wouldn't have left Europe. You were still more free than any other human of your era."

"But I knew that they were there and that I had a duty to them that I could not fulfil, because of him."

"He told me that he was ordered to kill you."

"He failed."

"No, as in, he was ordered to kill you and decided not to because it was immoral. He didn't want you running a Sector because he believed that would mean you trampling on the wills of those under you. When I spoke to him just now, he was genuinely interested by your plans for reform. I think that if you involved him, not only would you have input from one of the few beings around who know more about the green light than you do, but it would also get the Green Lantern Corps off your back. You might be able to fight Lantern Gardner and Lantern-"

"We coulda taken him."

"-Apros, but there are a great many Green Lanterns. And if the Guardians still have you marked for death, then one of them might eventually intervene personally. The most sensible thing for you to do is to make an accommodation. You grew up during the end period of the Thirty Years' War. You know the magnitude of misery that comes when rulers aren't prepared to negotiate with powerful neighbours, or accept less than they ideally want."

"I have never attacked a world under the guardianship of another Lantern. All that has transpired here is their doing."

I nod.

"Lantern Gardner, did you take the opportunity to review the state of the worlds in Lord Malvolio's domain?"

"Got an.. overview."

"Most likely prison locations and fleet-"

He winces slightly.

"-bases?"

"… Yeah."

"Lantern Apros, I'm not familiar with your species. Can you assimilate data faster than humanoids, about as fast, or slower?"

"I have a superhumanoid grasp of three dimensional navigation. I am not an economist."

"Okay, so are you asking for time to review the history and economics of this Sector so that you can tell whether or not Lord Malvolio is doing a good job? You'd need to study a five hundred year period in detail covering… What was it, seven principal worlds plus colonies and outposts? Does the Green Lantern Corps have that expertise?"

"Probably. Or we can hire people."

"Lord Malvolio, would you object to an external group without power rings conducting a review of your domain's economic systems? The results might be helpful to you as well as convincing your critics in the Green Lantern Corps that you're good for the place."

"I do not plan to blockade peaceful travellers. If scholars wish to investigate mine realm as the authors of the Domesday Book did the domain of King William, then it vexes me not."

"Lantern Gardner?"

"So we're deciding who's good and bad by committee?"

"Since there's no mutually agreed upon set of rules, that's what you're left with. I've reviewed Two Eight One Four A's records on Green Lanterns removing rulers, and they usually only do it if they're atrocious and there's an alternate rightful candidate within that civilisation's own culture."

"If he-." Guy stops himself and then faces Malvolio instead. "If you're such a great guy, why don't you just join the Corps?"

"Put myself under the command of those who sentenced me to death? Are you that much a fool?"

"Has that actually been rescinded?"

Guy shrugs.

"I didn't find any record of it ever bein' made. Ain't a lot on Mally."

"But you understand why someone might not want to join an organisation run by beings who sentenced him to death without trial? Or even formal accusation?"

"What if it was rescinded?"

"Why are you pursuing this fruitless line of reasoning? I might understand a man making an error of judgement, but these Guardians will admit to no such error. If they gave me an explanation and asked my pardon I might -after a time- find it in myself to grant it."

"But if we could come back to the task at hand..?"

"You really gunna let Priest go free jus' 'cause we asked?"

"I was concerned that I may need to crush the Green Lantern Corps in its entirety before I could find peace from its depredations. If I have the sworn word of your masters that all I must do is release one man whom I may keep under close observation, then I will bear down on mine own desire for vengeance."

"And you don't mind him having a ring?"

"I am not convinced that he needs one. No, if that is the price of peace then I will pay it."

"Lantern Gardner?"

"Priest gets out and gets a ring. You stay on 'til we can work out whether you're good or bad. Can Priest go places without you?"

"No, but he may send messages where he will."

"Then I think we got a deal."

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
  19. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

What is this? Greens willing to be flexible?

sigh Is the universe ending again?

20. Jack of Olives

Jack of Olives Knows just enough to be dangerous.

Diplomacy check: Success!

Now if only more people in superhero universes had this amazing power. :p

21. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'here's what I'

'Thought you'

'then one'

'a superhumanoid grasp'

'three dimensional'

The Coluans are available.

Unless they may think they can be biased towards Paul for helping free their civilization.

'Doomsday Book'

So he can have the same powers ss Stewart 50.

'he may send'

Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
  22. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

then

moralrelativity likes this.
  23. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    That's not correct.

24. Bramble Thorn

Bangs head against the desk
    Look at the link. The name and proper spelling is even part of the link itself...

25. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Kinda difficult to notice that it's a link when it's the same color as the rest of the text.

26. rkyeun

rkyeun Cabbitus Maximus

Did... did we cross over with the common sense universe for a moment there?

27. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Especially if said Sector is in dire need of policing? I suppose it comes down to whether the local space-going powers agree to Green lantern oversight. I'm sure there are regions who encountered and refused such an offer... Besides Reach space, and New Gods-ruled worlds.

Not a fair comparison, Guy. Was Malvolio wiping out rival cultures and species? Was he conquering violently? Or was he just acting as a member of the aristocracy of his day would be expected to: protecting those lands he's in charge of.

Very astute, Malvolio. And to be fair, you do need someone watching you, keep you from making any more blunders like the ones that got you confined in the first place... Better it be someone you know and can trust.

I suppose that's fair too. I mean, it was kind of his fault, since his confinement of you evidently prevented him tending to the sector at large... Why he didn't call for aid from the Guardians, get a second Lantern assigned, I don't know...

Yeah, that would sting. But did you maybe consider he had good reasons for doing so?

It would look that way to you, I suppose.

See, if you two had just talked back then, maybe you wouldn't have spent all that time confined... Alas, Green Light Stubbornness...

Unless you plan to fight the entire Green Lantern Corps? Do you understand that means up to 7200 Lanterns, all potentially as powerful as you? Sooner or later, one of them would have brought you down, especially if they sent larger taskforces...

...He didn't, did he? Didn't he learn not to go by briefings alone from OL?

Argh... Guy, you dipstick. You should know better than this.

Always double-check your intel. Get local data as backup. Your boss might not always tell you what you need to know, only what they think you need...

Well, easy assumption to make, brain that big... Assuming his central mass is larger than a human head and torso.

Assuming people prioritised keeping such info in that time. Worst case, you might need to conduct local interviews...

The Domesday Book, for reference (if you missed the link in the text.) One of the largest surveys and censuses in the world, especially at that time. At least Malvolio can guarantee an easier time than some of the crews working on it.

Malvolio's carrying a pretty big stick, Guy. Do you want him beating you with it, or would you prefer to continue speaking softly?

In this case, neither condition applies. If a valid alternative had presented themselves during Malvolio's confinement, the Sector wouldn't be in this mess.

More importantly, did anyone but Priest receive that order?

Because, like so many other things, the Guardians don't like to have their failures known...

Guy, let it go. He's not going to become a Green Lantern. No matter how much you might want him... Ah. Now I get it. Your little assignment to 'study esoteric Green Lantern techniques'. You want to learn how he's doing what he's doing, don't you? But since he's not a Green lantern officially...

Yes, as much fun as little digressions can be, they do have a bigger topic at hand...

And I don't doubt that he's confident enough to think he can do so. Even in the face of Escalation that would make the Memetic Taylor Hebert go, "That seems a bit much..."

Heh. Yeah, Priest does seem to have that level of skill, doesn't he? Though the Ring makes some things so much easier, I expect.

Well, summed up like that, it doesn't sound too tough, does it?

Of course, Guy's got to swing it with the Guardians. But I expect they'll take Ion's Host's word for it. Though not entirely happily, I bet.

Well, then. Big conflict done. All that remains is to drop the barrier, get Priest his ring back and get back to that little pilgrimage Malvolio was on before you interrupted him... Unless another party plans on interfering in matters, at least. I would hope Sinestro has enough sense not to poke the 800-pound gorilla.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
  28. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

Damn it. Should have bargained for Greeny ring AI. Marvin here could totally use one.

29. Alasnuyo

Alasnuyo I am always here

Priest would probably consider ring AIs to be a crutch as well.

30. Mr Zoat

"The mind of an automaton built into mine ring by mine enemies?"