1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

What are Crius' and Mnemosyne's domains?

Afterlife and Memory/mind?

Also, he really should have set his ring to 'record' when the Ophidian spoke. Not paying attention to best Snek is just rude.

2. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Crios is associated with stars and constellations, and Mnemosyne is connected to memory.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
  3. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

So she's the typical mortal=ants type of goddess. Hopefully Paul can show her how much mortals can push gods.

I wonder what this is referring to? Can anyone remember a desire that Paul felt before in the story that could match this?

Since the Ophidian isn't known for her eloquence, I wouldn't be surprised if she used her avarice powers to make them realize something either about themselves or something they overlooked due to their whole gods>mortals mentality.

Constantly distracting Paul, or trying to distract himself from the conversation he and his siblings had with the Ophidian?

Will they be visiting Earth in the future?

I wouldn't be surprised if the Ophidian was less diplomatic with them and instead just showed how much beneath her (and by extension Paul) they are in comparison.

4. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Hyperion and Thia in the mythology. Parents of the deities of Sun, Moon and Dawn. And sounding a lot more... Celestial than their most familiar comics incarnations. And it sounds like he's quite the horn-dog...

Hmm...I can understand the lack of offspring if they are young, or chose not to produce children who would likely overthrow them. As for Thia... In the comics, it appears that she was one of the more antagonistic of her generation, at least towards the modern Heroes...

:confused: I'd make a comment about tangled family trees, but divine genetics does weird things. And there's often no guarantee that a divine offspring will be humanoid...

Ah, there's her problem. I see she has a low opinion of 'lesser' beings. Evidently OL isn't elevated enough for her...

Well, on your own head be it if she decides you might be tasty.

Well, this should be interesting. I doubt many people ever want to talk to Best Snek, whether they want something or not.

Just try not to damage her too much? I'm sure the Titans still have some use in this situation, and the rest might be a little annoyed if you break one of them...

And a fun little diversion for OL. Surprised he isn't listening in to make sure things don't go awry, but I suppose getting intel on the locals is useful.

Hint: His 'Solar Ray' is his penis. :p Evidently thinking with their little head runs in the family for Greco-roman Sky Kings. At least Thia isn't as vexed by it as Hera was...

Not too badly shaken by getting a tongue-lashing from the Embodiment of universal Avarice, I hope. Maybe you should ask her for a summary of what they discussed, or is she going to be coy about it?

Do I detect a hint of 'What have we gotten ourselves into?' here? Or is it just me?

Iapetus in comics and myth (I linked Themis yesterday, though...) Most commonly linked to Atlas, Prometheus (and his brother Epimetheus) and Menoetius (best known for eating a thunderbolt from Zeus during the battles.) As some tales would have it, the technical grandfather of mankind (by way of his sons' work) and supposedly confined within Tartarus alongside Cronus. No doubt he and his wife manage the worshippers below...

Oh-ho, someone who might be in tune with OL's ideals? There's a fun opportunity.

Drag them into the Century of the Fruitbat kicking and screaming, eh? Might need to work on their sciences first.

Heh. Of course Best Snek wants her things to be the best things...

So they're not as unified as they'd prefer to present themselves as, eh? That's good to know. But could be bad, if things break down.

Yeah, that's humanity's approach to such things in a nutshell. 'Oh, a giant asteroid passed a few million miles from us? That's nice.' gets a very different reaction to 'What's that smoke over the hill? Is it bad for me?' Thank you, monkey ancestors...

We've met the proper Oceanus, of course. His sister-wife Tethys is less well-known. Their comics versions are more conventional and less primal... Though Mr Zoat definitely seems to be going with later depictions of them...

Rulers of Minosyss' seas, I would assume. Hopefully less disruptive than the masters of its land.

And most of the Atlantic-bordering nations' population... But I don't think these folks would care too much about 'mere mortals'...

He was a little testy last time he got out, so it's probably better he's confined...

Oh? Well, now...

Or perhaps they bear some mystical connection to their namesakes, some touch of memory that Rhea set upon them?

Again, Myth and Comics versions of Crius may vary. The Lady Mnemosyne is at least remembered as the mother of the Nine Muses. And played some part in uncovering or manipulating people's memories in the comics tales.

Yes, especially their comics incarnations. Thankfully, they have no part in Donna Troy's history here. So it'll be fascinating to see how things play out in this tale.

I suspect even OL is getting tired of all the introductions.

And that's all twelve of the Titans of Myth playing meet-and-greet now. No sign of their Seeds, as OL noted, but that doesn't preclude their existence... And from the brief glimpses of their characters, it seems not all of them share the same goals for their new world. Which makes them a lot more well-rounded than their comics counterparts, really. Though I wonder if Sparta shall be making an appearance...

5. AmericanNumbers

AmericanNumbers Not too sore, are you?

Paul has met multiple Titans before with their own plans and desires. A familiar desire is not that strange given where we think this might be going.

6. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

bears -> bares ?

7. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Or maybe they can't have children, at least now.

That Marvel story with the SI god I was reading, as well as an HP/Marvel story I was reading had gods be only capable of having children every few centuries so as to prevent overpopulation.

These guys are apparently very young so they may not be in a fertility cycle yet.

Honestly thought it meant he wanted to fight people.

Though seeing as he wants to fuck people as strong as him he may not cheat on his wife all that much since there may not be too many people that strong.

That depends on how large their disagreements are.

They may not agree on everything but that doesn't mean that they'll come to blows over them.

To be fair, the smoke is a more immediate threat.

Technically these guys could qualify as Seeds.

8. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    No, the solar rays are his semen.

9. JamesEye

JamesEye Not too sore, are you?

Haha I too was left wanting that sentence of familiar desire to be completed.

Great story, so much to read every time I drop back in.

Xmaster3000 and Whiteeyes like this.
  10. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

OK, either you have a better memory than average, your memory works a bit differently than average, or both.

11. m_d

m_d Fascinated by storytelling

It's lines like this that remind me that this is set in an animated universe and I should be picturing it that way. I haven't actually seen Young Justice, it was a bit after my prime TV watching days, but I can picture this in Teen Titans, which I gather had a related animation style. Whereas it isn't something I would imagine in, say, a live action Zach Snyder DC film. Despite this, typically when I picture mainline OL chapters, I don't see it in those sorts of animation style visuals.

I wonder what the members of OL's delegation think of what Ophidian said. They have a bit more experience of and connection to her, but maybe not this directly.

Question to the audience at large. I have no recollection of reading what Mr. Zoat would prefer the punctuation mark in question to be called, nor have I been able to find it in the FAQ. I know of other words for it, of course, but I don't see any of them as being more or less offensive than the one I used, so I have no way of judging their suitability for this thread. Could someone perhaps point me to a post? I was debating whether or not to ask, but it's come up again and I don't want to irritate him.

Xmaster3000, Whiteeyes and Ardy like this.
  12. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

I'm not 100% certain that he ever said in this thread (as opposed to threads on another forum, or elsewhere on this one), but I do know that (presumably for purposes of clarity) the British call 'the period at the end of a sentence' a 'full stop.' I'm not sure what they call periods that aren't at the end of a sentence.

13. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

It's known as a full stop in British English.

14. Aelyx

Aelyx It is I, Q, who are you?

Part of me thinks it's less to do with skill and more to do with their general apathy to mortals. They are Greek Mythos based, after all, they always did have a low opinion on them in the grand scheme of things. They probably will start to treat him better once its known he's died several times and is the chosen host for the Ophidian.

Prince Charon, Whiteeyes and Ngamer11 like this.
  15. cereal_lurker

cereal_lurker Getting sticky.

I read that part as referencing a desire that Ophidian has felt before, rather than Paul.

Melinoë and Aporia were still in the room, right? I imagine they'll provide some missing context. Though with the rush at the end, we didn't see what happened to them (not even their reaction to Ophidian). Would Ophidian have sent them somewhere?

16. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

Does this mean Hyperion was flirting with Melione, cause that won't end well for him. If Melione doesn't give him eternal nightmares Hades, Persephone, Zergeus, and heck even Paul would gladly do it.

Prince Charon and Whiteeyes like this.
  17. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I don't think that's likely to happen.

Given the fact that he's also a god, Melinoë's powers may not have much of an effect on him.

Hades, Persephone and Zagreus may also not necessarily react negatively to Hyperion, depending on how they feel about Rhea.

Paul may also not try to harm him for flirting with Melinoë, unless he gets too aggressive.

18. Bud-E

He is a greek god.

mastermenthe, Whiteeyes and Cuchulin like this.
  19. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Minosyan, or space god, to be exact, but yeah, you have a point.

20. Ciber

Ciber Know what you're doing yet?

"I briefly met your predecessor. He very nearly killed me."

What was the name of the referenced chapter?
    I am having trouble finding it.

ChestBurster and Whiteeyes like this.
  21. Lazurman

Lazurman That Others May Fap

Paul, Poseidon, and the JL took on Oceanus. Also, a group of undead Vikings also helped.

22. Radix

Radix Not too sore, are you?

Titanfall, Chapter 51 back in Season 2. Right before Paul ganked the Lords of Order/Chaos.

23. Threadmarks: Sungate (part 12)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

11th September 2012
    14:59 GMT

"…breached the control room, but it does not appear designed to respond to those such as we."

Coeus leads the way through the breach in the earth that leads to the most accessible part of the decommissioned sun eater factory. Not sure whether this means that the Junior Titans can't teleport, haven't gotten the hang of teleporting in Minosyss's magic sphere or if the maltusians built something that blocks it.

"Have you been studying it?"

"We dared not. Though I'm confident that we would survive whatever traps the maltusians might have added to their system, this world is inhabited by people far less resilient than we are."

"I meant, 'you personally', though I suppose that answers the question."

"Iapetus looked it over, since it comes closest to falling within his sphere. He'd be here now, but his brief encounter with your Ophidian appears to have left him rather distracted."

"I suppose that there isn't a titan of engineering, is there?"

"Had mother survived, there may have been eventually."

"Do you know what her… Plan, was? Did you intend for you to go back and defeat Zeus when you were ready, or...? What?"

"She taught us to use our abilities as best we could. Perhaps she had an ultimate goal in mind… Sadly, we shall never know."

I nod. That suggests that they weren't all that old when she died. Is Coeus the oldest? Was he forced to take on a pseudo-parental role when their mother died? None of the others disputed his right to negotiate with me, after all.

"Why do you care?"

"Oh, I'm nothing like as emotionally invested as you are. But I'm a utilitarian. I don't destroy things unless there's a good reason to do so. Senseless violence is wasteful. And as an Orange Lantern I tend to like to see people pursuing their goals in a rational and pragmatic way."

I look up and to the right as a section of… I think that used to be a wall, juts through the side of the rocky passage. An earthquake? Did that..? Breach the walls? That doesn't seem likely, but the whole reason why the Controllers chose this place was because it doesn't entirely conform to the usual rules.

"You wanted to get the factory safely shut down, so rather than come up with some sort of convoluted scheme to lure a maltusian here you just directly asked. We have absolutely no reason to say 'no', the maltusians abandoned the place because they had no further use for it…"

"The cooperation of disparate parts to a common good is the very definition of civilisation."

We walk in silence for a few moments, the corridor bending as it moves around the buried sections of factory which stick through the walls in several places.

"So… What does being moon god actually involve? Are you in charge of New Cronus?"

"Yes, but that's more a coincidence than anything else. The moon is totemic; most of my actual divine powers relate to the intellect rather than the night in any literal way."

"Hah! We could definitely do with you back on Earth then."

"Isn't there a god of the intellect amongst Zeus's followers?"

"No. Zeus ate Metis, and… I don't think he's been listening to her advice very much."

"Met-? Zeus ate another god?"

"Yes. And-"

"But that's-"

"-I realise that-"

"-what he rallied-"

"-that's what Cronus did-"

"-the younger gods against!"

"-to his brothers and sisters, yes."

"And that hypocrite rules the Earth? Humans pray to him!?"

"Not really, no. Greece converted to Christianity about two thousand years ago. The few Hellenists left mostly prefer to pray to other Olympians. My particular patron is Eris, Goddess of Chaos."

"You… Mentioned a 'super Dryad'."

"Yes, Euanthe has done very well for herself. Essentially, she increased the strength of her bond to all earthly plant life, and after a rather nasty war she made contact with an alliance of jungle tribes in the Americas… And now she's their main god."

"How powerful is she?"

"Innately? Probably not much more than she was before. But she has command authority over the natural world, so her effective power is much greater."

We walk out into… Huh. Yes. A room big enough to build a creature that could eat a sun. In the distance I can see… Gantries, and machinery that I can't easily-

"It's just up here."

-identify. Coeus leads me up a… A rope bridge, to a round platform which appears to be suspended from the ceiling by struts which are both uncomfortably long and uncomfortably thin.

Coeus sees me hesitate.

"They're strong enough. Can you not fly?"

"I can fly in three different ways and I may well be immortal. That doesn't make me feel safe."

I shake my head as I reach the platform. Yes, it's solid -certainly more solid than the bridge- and in the centre there's a maltusian control console. It's a ring made of a stone-like substance, the middle of the ring containing a glowing orb which… Is probably the part of the machinery that they designed to access the dimensional warp.

And there's a plug for a personal lantern. A bit odd, given who was using it at the time. This was shut down before Guardians started using Green Lanterns. I mean… The Guardians had the technology beforehand. Larfleeze's existence proves that. Still, it's a little…

"This control system is contemporary, is it?"

"As far as I know. It was here when we discovered this vault, but I know little of maltusian technology."

"Fair enough."

I don't attach my personal lantern to it, but rather reach out with orange threads and attach-. Ah, yes, there we are. I was a little worried that they would have designed the system to work with their symbiotic abilities rather than glow technology, but it doesn't seem to be arguing the toss.

"Is there anything important directly above here?"

"A few villages. Why?"

"I might need to physically fly the sun eaters out, to say nothing of whatever other weapons the Controllers stashed here."

"I can order an evacuation, though I would rather avoid doing so."

"Alright then. Let's see what this does."

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
  24. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

"What does this button do?"
    - Famous last words

25. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'I look'

'An earthquake'

Well there's Athena.

Ohh, hypocrisy is one of the lesser crimes of Zeus.

Not really.

Some Themyscirans maybe, but most may pray to other gods for things like good weather, like Demeter, or for justice, like Athena.

26. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

What he doesn't mention here is that his "good reason" level is "slightly annoys me".

Meanwhile forgotten Athena be like...

[​IMG]

27. Bud-E

Now I feel a little bad. It's never good to find out family members are blatant hypocrites.

28. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

They were smart enough to make the Titan of intellect their leader? Perhaps there is hope for them.

Though I still think they will attempt to steal that sun-eater maker

29. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Or they're simply exercising caution. I would assume it was unearthed during Iapetus' casual adjustments to the surface mantle. At least it seems Rhea was wise enough to instil a good amount of wariness in the kids concerning unknown and possibly arcane locations.

And when said trap might involve setting loose a rampaging monster? Yes, I suppose they'd rather not endanger their worshipper base.

...I rather hope he's not performing any 'landscaping' near populated areas. People tend to get a little upset when the ground exhibits a habit of not sitting still...

Though I suspect it would have required working through quite a few less complex concepts on the way, if the process was anything like the Olympians' selection of roles and portfolios...

At least they're content to take it slow and find a place for themselves in things, rather than going off half-cocked and demanding all the universe worship them...

It's called Compassion.I don't know if it comes naturally to you guys, but Humans are quite good at it when they want to be...

Well, like I suggested: If Iapetus was shifting the rock about, it's not unlikely he would have noticed the large volume the factory would represent. And once noticed, it's only a small step to having a poke about...

Good lord, OL must feel like he's dreaming at the sheer sensible nature of the Titans. And it is refreshing to have such an honest, open approach to the matter of getting it dealt with safely.

Not an unreasonable assumption. Though 'The Moon' is probably only a singular and small part of his divine portfolio.

Try and get some direction to the usual bands of hypercognitives, eh? They would probably need divine intervention in some cases...

Not in an entirely literal fashion, certainly. In the Myth, he tricked her into turning into a fly, after learning of a prophecy involving children she would bear him, and consumed that... Only to have Athena grow within his skull, because divine biology is fricking weird.

Love the rapid back-and-forth as they talk over each other, yet basically saying the same thing.

Now, anyone else would assume the Chaos thing is bad, but I would expect Coeus to be smart enough to understand that sometimes a little Chaos is good for a stale system... Though I wonder what he'd make of the Abrahamic faiths....

I assume she's been wasting no time reforesting the Amazon Basin, with plenty of natural defences against logging. And with the Danner-buffed tribes playing forest guardians, well...

Much more direct than something ambiguous like 'The Moon' or 'The Dawn'.

Maltusians certainly didn't do things by halves, did they? I expect the gantries are for servant races who probably couldn't fly.

Well, I guess it was put in place by the locals.

Although flying would probably get the attention of some sort of security system. Hence the long walk to get this far.

Ah, telepathic control systems. What's wrong with panels with neatly and clearly labelled buttons, eh?

Which raises questions as to how recently a maltusian was here...

Probably more than a little control lag from having to process through the Ring, but workable, I guess. I would have checked in with Hinon before getting started on anything though...

...Like that. Doing it that way could have any number of failure points. Not least of which is what if someone notices a bundle of Sun-Eaters being towed along somewhere?

So instead, you're going to poke the pocket stargate - which you barely know how to use, I would expect - and shunt them direct to a Maltusian storage facility?

Oh, boy, OL... There are so many ways this could all go wrong. I'm not even kidding. Murphy must be sitting there giggling his ass off at the sheer number of them. Seriously, I would call Hinon for advice before poking anything. I'm pretty sure she'd like an update at some point anyway. Before she gets the inevitable 'The Illustres has done it again...' call.

30. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

And he'll probably be annoyed when the shitstorm, either accidental or by betrayal, happens.

The first may slso be completely demon proof.

She once grew forests that did that and after she absorbed that divine wood the forests may have become harmful to them.

Or for them.

Paul mentioned that Maltusians couldn't use their powers here, so they may have made them for themselves.

That's true for a lot of things involving Paul.

You'd know dust Murphy does.