1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

That should be capitalized.

2. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

So Charles Dance is behind this.

'god mode'

Don't forget its fiery twin.

Due to her father having titanic magic running through him when he sired her.

This was bound to happen.

Hmm, if this is Sparta then maybe she was given, or took, Boom Tube tech from either of these sides, or from a rogue element.

Metron's probably not the only one that is independent.

Apokalips would have given her tech to spread misery, while New Genesis may have done it for noble but misguided reasons.

Rhea's little excursion to space led to a civilization collapsing, so they may think the Titans can only bring destruction with them and thought one if their victims should receive justice.

Eld_Tiger, ChestBurster, Ardy and 3 others like this.
  3. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Grayven: "I have come to harvest your seed!"

general snickering

Grayven: "KNEEL BEFORE ME!"

"I thought you wanted our seed?"

Grayen: "I WILL POUND YOU INTO OBLIVION!"

Everyone: BUAHAHA!

4. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Well, if all goes well, Phoebe will be back amongst their number before long. The alternative... Well, presumably the perpetrator has good reason to continue attacking them, but they'll have to be much more circumspect about it.

I don't know, some who attempt it generally do well enough, even if they end up muddling a few things here and there... Delegation would go a long way.

Yes, he's not taking this at all well, is he? I wonder how much they depend on their 'partner' in general...

And not doubt would look like a total special effects nightmare. Swing one way, it looks pasted on. The other way, it looks overdone...

Well, on the upside, I doubt it's whispering dark thoughts into his mind about Rings and Power and hobbits...

Please, do. Don't you know how rude it is to whip your balls out in public? :p

...Unless, you know, the circumstances resulted in a very angry survivor, or something like that...

And Karrakan was not the first, clearly. Just the one they know of. Interesting that she had these fragments of her siblings' power. A gift from the Dreaming, perhaps? I wonder if any previous Seeds still have their own empowering orbs?

Well, I suppose he does stand out compared to the locals.

An interesting change. Assuming that's an actual change, and not just their assumption. Remember the canonical Titan Seeds had their memories erased (though it didn't take for Sparta, and ultimately set off her little crusade...)

...Okay, his voice is now James Woods. Can you unhear it?

Especially with you folks swanning about in your moonbase, being all divine at them...

Sucker's Bet. And I have the feeling they'll have to deal with 'a rogue demigod' very soon... Quite possibly a rouge one, given her likely state of mind. :p

I bet they make a great paperweight and conversation starter! :V

And more importantly, would they have the motive or ability to acquire it for themselves?

To be fair, not leading with Apokalips is... Wise, but a bit of an oversight.

It's only a suspicion thus far. All he can guess is that their transportation method was involved...

Yes, New Genesis isn't all sweetness and light, but... Would they even care about the Titans? They rule one world. Hardly worth the effort of dispatching even a single warrior to take them down.

Because of course none of them got lucky enough to be Gods of Magic...

For all you know, she did know a few tricks back in the day, especially if she's been in touch with Hekate (who is sometimes described as the holder of Hades' keys.)

Man, I'm amazed he wasn't blue with hope.

About the only way that innocent statement could have been funnier is if it was Hyperion she was.. propositioning.

Unless it's someone with, say, a more personal stake in matters.

I'm guessing 'not an interstellar power'. And honestly, I would not be surprised if Grayven had acquired some manner of locating OL. After all, knowing where your enemies' greatest weapon is at any time is highly desirable for a conqueror.

Always just as you get started with the foreplay...

...Now, who's commanding the fleet? Who makes up the bulk of its forces?

I bet OL's first thought will be 'Grayven', but I get the feeling this is something more closely related to the Titans... Perhaps survivors of Rhea's previous visitations, looking for some payback? For all we know, Phoebe's attack might have been planned as a distraction, since I can't think of any powers she might have that would make her useful in the defence of New Cronus. I'm sure tomorrow will answer some questions, at least...

5. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

City of Heroes players will know that one of the game's loading screens reads, 'Not everything is a Nemesis Plot'.

Of course, there's another one: 'Everything is a Nemesis Plot'...

6. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

They may be able to function without them, mystically speaking, but they may be weakened somewhat.

Their respective spouses all share a domain so without them they may not be that effective.

Hey, ancient Greek art has the gods be nude like 90% of the time.

Or she took them with her when she was banished, or Zeus or someone else gave it to her.

Now I can't stop hearing it!

All he needs now is two incompetent lackeys for him to torture.

Their mother played a part in the destruction of a civilization.

They may feel the Titans need to be stopped before another one is destroyed.

Add the fact that the planet they're trying to take over has Sun Eaters, and you can see why the New Genesians would have reason to stop them.

It's probably Sparta, though I wouldn't rule out Actually Grayven.

He could gave recruited her like he did with Astarte and this is what she wanted as payment for working for him.

And Phoebe is a moon goddess and New Chronus is a moon so maybe with her out of the picture the defensive and offensive capabilities the base has are lowered.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
  7. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

I know Lonnie was mentioned once or twice but where did it say he's the Joker's son?

8. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I believe it was in the part when Paul sees the Joker in the fight against the Injustice League.

Ardy likes this.
  9. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Here's one scene.

10. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Found it.

mastermenthe, Vorian, CTrees and 3 others like this.
  11. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

might -> mighty

Mr Zoat and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  12. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

13. Silveraith

Silveraith Argent Phantasm

Our.

Chojin Patriarch and Mr Zoat like this.
  14. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

Her current state, I think.

15. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    2. All the money and property owned by a particular person, especially at death.

16. Radix

Radix I trust you know where the happy button is?

Greek myths are full of conflicting accounts and contradictory versions.

They arent even close to as syncretic as modern pop culture perception. Each major city had their own versions of myths with different important gods. The perceptions of gods evolved over time.

Cuchulin and nick012000 like this.
  17. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

Yeah, about that...

I going to be honest, you are writing this really badly the last several segments.

OL went there because they (the local conquerors) requested diplomatic talks with the Malthusian Controllers.
    OL got sent there to represent the Controllers officially. To see that they wanted, and relay that to the controllers.
    He isn't there as a lackey, or servant, or subordinate.

This and a couple previous segments feel like if the English or American ambassador to Afghanistan (after the Americans and English pulled out of the place ages ago as no longer interested in the place as a going concern) had the current Afgan Gov't come up to them (after having just conquered the place) requested the ambassador to see about getting them to disarm and remove a mine field they left behind when they withdrew.

And while the ambassador was there had a challenge to their new leadership, where the ambassador decided to help them because why not. And then, seeing how accommodating he was being, asked the ambassador to suck their cocks. To which the ambassador was all, "Sure, would you prefer if I spit, or swallow" not realizing that sucking the cocks of foreign heads of state while acting as an ambassador isn't making for very good diplomatic precedent.

What's with the bad writing, Zoat?

Cuchulin likes this.
  18. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I wouldn't go that far.

Paul is literary just trying to help them deal with whatever is going on.

It's one of the main things he does.

The worst they did to him was accuse him of harming one of them and one of them reading his mind for a bit.

Both aren't okay things but Paul has worked with people that have done far worse to him and his allies.

I honestly don't know where you're getting this whole bending over backwards to accommodate them thing.

19. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

It's especially a weird complaint about a superhero.

'It's not my problem" is a shit motto for a superhero.

20. crazygrox

crazygrox Versed in the lewd.

Completely irrelevant to the current plot, but I'm pretty sure that Batman's emergency contingency to get rid of Paul if he needs to is that he's figured out Paul's real last name, and intends to surprise him with it to make his mental processes and control over his constructs lapse.
    Problem with that plan is that Paul is generally wearing armor. And Batman wouldn't use lethal force in the brief window that creates, so Paul would have an opportunity to recover while in captivity.(if batman can even get past his armor to capture him in the first place. X-ionized tranquilizer darts maybe?) Also Paul could at any point fairly easily decide to copy the genetic modifications Truggs had to himself, in which case he might be quicker to purge knockout drugs, he just generally doesn't bother because they wouldn't appreciably improve his actual power level or ability to deal with the sorts of problems he generally runs into and may have unknown side effects.

I just was thinking back to when Paul got hit with a crumbler from an automated turret in the batcave and felt a need to share this.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
  21. Threadmarks: Sungate (part 19)
    Mr Zoat

11th September 2012
    19:52 GMT

The thirteen of us stand on the promontory which serves as New Cronus's bridge. Coeus has called up a holoscreen, and I don't recognise those ships at all.

"How?"

Hyperion on the other hand clearly does, and from their expressions Tethys and Oceanus would rather that he'd kept his mouth shut. Theia on the other hand decides to support her husband.

"Some people just don't know when to die."

Hyperion nods. "Bring us over the horizon, Lord Coeus. It's been too long since I burnt something to cinders."

"Are your seeds proof against solar fire?"

Hyperion hesitates, his hands dropping slightly.

"Or don't you know? Were you going to attack without knowing whether or not it would cost you the chance to resurrect your sister?"

Coeus doesn't look around. "Lower your hands, Lord Hyperion."

"If we can identify the ship-."

"Lower your hands."

After a moment's hesitation, he lowers them.

"What else are we going to do?"

"Ambassador?"

"The Controllers didn't volunteer for this because this system makes their powers act up. Normally, I'd say that a fleet that size wouldn't be a problem, but something odd is up with my rings at the moment. Who are they?"

"The people of Karrakan burned what was left of their world from orbit." Coeus pulls up their technical schematics and puts them alongside the results of New Cronus's scans. "We thought that we had already slain the survivors of that bout of self-destructive madness. But it seems that at least a few survived."

"Ring, contact the local Green Lantern."

"Error."

"Any Green Lantern in the galaxy?"

"Error."

Theia looks at me with condescension. "Having difficulty, Ambassador?"

"Yes. Please bear with me."

Okay. My armour has an integrated communications system. Less advanced than the ring, but it should still work. Call Maltus.

Ring, identify error.

No error in system.

Well, there's no such thing as an uninterruptible communication system.

Ophidian?

Feeling a little ambushed right now.

"Coeus: intellect, night and the moon. Was Phoebe goddess of anything else?"

"What are you thinking?"

"Regular communication and ring communication are down. The Ophidian, a being closer to me than any other, isn't answering me. Something odd is happening with this system. How is that possible?"

Iapetus nods. "This world has spawned no gods. Once we fully bond with it, our power will be unrivalled for as far as the magic stretched. If another had beaten us to that goal, it… Might be possible for them to interrupt your technology. But stealing Phoebe's seed would not be enough on its own."

"Ex-cept that Apokoliptian technology lets them improve their natural abilities."

I vaguely remember it being mentioned during the period in which Supergirl was brainwashed by Darkseid that Apokolips had sorcerers. I don't remember any other mention of magic use outside of the New Gods own natural abilities in the comics, but it was too much to expect them to make a similar oversight in real life.

"How many demigods did Rhea birth?"

Coeus shakes his head. "I have no idea. Over the millennia, it was at least dozens. Including their children, it was hundreds."

"And you've got no idea who that is over there, or why they're coming after you?"

"The damage was too extensive for us to take a full accounting."

"So we don't know why they're here. We don't even know for certain that there's a demigod over there."

"There is. That's how they organised their forces."

"Um…" Gaudia awkwardly raises her right hand a little. "Can we just ask them? That's how things happen on Earth. 'Who are you, why are you doing this, what do you want?'"

I nod. "Are your communications working?"

Coeus checks. "Our communication laser array is working, but if their shields are up then they won't receive it. And since they're near the edge of the system it would take five hours for them to receive the message and another five for us to receive their response. Radio has the same problem. Real time communications systems are in full working order but can't send a message. Lord Crius? Lady Mnemosyne?"

They turn to face one another, clasping each others hands. Their eyes glow faintly… Reaching out with magic? Difficult, even in a thaumically active system. On the other hand, if there's a receiver at the other end… Maybe? The titans were better able to access the Dream than the gods, so it's possible-.

"Parasites. This is where you ran to."

The voice is quiet, emerging from the lips of Crius and Mnemosyne both. I don't recognise it, though my ring indicates that it's speaking a Karrakanian language.

Coeus glances away from the screen for a moment, but makes no move to address the speaker. A problem with having a council of nine-? Oh. No. He's waiting for Phoebe to answer it.

And in her absence it's Hyperion who steps up.

"Which one are you, scum?! Which of you wastes of our mother's milk clung on when you burned your world?"

"I am Sparta. I am here for the fragments of my grandmother that you stole. I will burn your false moon from the sky and then I will make this world a New Karrakan. I would suggest that you pray for your deaths to be swift, were it not for the fact that you have no one to pray to."

"I AM THE GOD OF THE SUN YOU WORTHLESS WHORE! YOU WILL NOT LIVE HAVING SPOKEN TO ME LIKE THAT!"

"God of the Sun, yes. But for how long?"

The lights in the eyes of Crius and Mnemosyne fade as they release their hands.

"That's that cleared up at least. What sort of naval assets do you have?"

Last edited: Jan 8, 2022
  22. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Well shit.

'Except'

I remember Darkseid once criticizing Metron for dismissing magic, or something like that.

'children, it was'

'makes no move'

23. Mr Zoat

Um. What?

He's being polite because he would like to help and doesn't want to destabilise the situation further. The wife of a man he got on well with has just died. They aren't his enemy, nor do they want anything it isn't in his interest for them to have.

24. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

And this is your "There's always a bigger fish" moment of the year...

Not that you will actually take the humbling for the learning experience it should be...

Otto von Saurion, Cuchulin and Doccer like this.
  25. Mr Zoat

I am aware that's how it's usually written. The character was drawing it out.
    Thank you, corrected.

26. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

Is it these demigods who killed(?) Phoebe? Or was that a separate attack? Do these demigods have access to boom tubes?

Otto von Saurion likes this.
  27. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Yeah, this doesn't add up, does it?

A mere god descendant can't block Ring and Ophidian and doesn't have access to a Boom Tube.

We know magic can interfere with Pauls abilities but his spell eater hasn't reacted either.

And an EoA spell that covers a solar system is again beyond a god, let alone a quarter one.

28. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

:p ...Well, someone hasn't been paying attention to their lessons about advanced technology, has he? But seriously, I wonder why they didn't detect them sooner.Something to do with the theft of Phoebe's orb, perhaps?

Yes, definitely some differences of opinion there. I'm guessing the solar dieties were all for the destruction, while the oceanics were in favour of compassion...

Hmm... Yeah, I could see that. It's likely the Boom Tube was Phoebe's attacker fleeing with Orb in hand, leaving her disabled until it's returned to safe proximity.

Bit of a hot temper, that one. I guess he leaves the deep thinking to his siblings.

And I don't think Coeus is speaking alone in that demand. The others might well have spoken up if he hadn't...

I don't know, maybe try talking to them? If you can work out how?

Indeed, if it were just a matter of going and disable their engines, he might be able to manage that even with his current difficulties...

...But why try to solo it when you can call in legitimate help?

Well, that's not good...

Save it, honey, no-one here needs to make 'performance issues' jokes, especially you.

Good man. Always have a backup option.

...Oh Come On! </mlp>

Yeah, let's see them disrupt a connection linked into the universe itself!

<facepalm> Good grief.

Was she, perhaps, mistress of communication? I know, advanced technology like this might not fall under something like 'Language', but Magic is a conceptual system, it's not a big leap from one to the other...

Unless their own talents lay in that field. Or they're using some manner of arcane technology...

Though I shudder at the thought of an Apokaliptian God of Magic. He's probably be steeped in dark forms of the Art, like blood magic or soul-leeching.

...The lady was lonely, wasn't she?

So for all you know, there were survivors a-plenty. But you left without looking hard enough?

Great. And evidently they're here for some vengeance.

Wow, that's actually helpful. Look at you, not making a nuisance of yourself, dear.

Ah, so between them, they can manage make contact.

Yeah, they're definitely not happy with the Titans...

...Crap, Phoebe was goddess of diplomacy, wasn't she, then? And now Mister Hot-head has the mike... This is going to end in violence, isn't it?

...Interesting, though, that she calls them keepsakes of Rhea. I take it she isn't aware of the connection the Titans have to the Seeds, then...

Not making your case any better, Hyperion...

I would not be surprised if it were New Cronus alone. Plus whatever the locals might have, though I can't remember their actual level of technology...

And so it is Sparta. Though appearing here as a grandchild of Rhea, not a direct daughter. And presumably not privy to the Titaness' plan for the Seeds. So it's going to be a brawl between two groups of children over the shiny prize. With OL, Melinoë and the useless two caught in between. And all of this on top of a Sun-Eater stockpile. That gun over the mantelpiece is starting to look real handy right now...

29. AmericanNumbers

AmericanNumbers Not too sore, are you?

Bout of

30. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Yes.

No.

And yes to the final one.

But everything shown in the last few chapters points to this happening.

Sparta probably got the Boom Tube tech from Grayven, who may have been looking for a powerful subordinate.

He could have also given her all sorts of other tech that disrupts Paul's abilities.

And Sparta is more akin to a New God, whose abilities are more easily used in the material universe.