1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Video Games General

Discussion in 'General' started by Smuthunter, Mar 25, 2017.

1. doomlord9

doomlord9 Experienced.

2. Rakdos92

Rakdos92 Goosh Goosh

3. doomlord9

doomlord9 Experienced.

They're lazy and/or stupid.

Sol Mark-1 likes this.
  4. vyor

vyor Oh that's cute

Nope. It's for performance on modern systems.

Sol Mark-1 likes this.
  5. Scygnus

Scygnus Well worn.

Up to Screw Attack. Artaria 100%, even the energy tank in the upper left... you don't need the Power Bomb for it, even though that seems like the obvious solution. Just plant your toes below the ridge and run right past the shutter, boost triggers a hair before the wall. Store it, Flash Shift back, jump, easy. Must've tried two dozen times to do it the other way, which is apparently only possible but still fucking hard with Power Bombs.

Sol Mark-1 likes this.
  6. SwiftRosenthal

SwiftRosenthal Connoisseur.

The other way feels like it should become possible with Cross Bombs, but then the spawner screws it all up. Whoever designed the shinespark puzzles in that game should go back to making SM romhacks, and I don't mean that in any nice way.

7. Scygnus

Scygnus Well worn.

I did like the one in the middle of the EMMI Zone- the one right below the purple cover door (Power Bombs? Or a beam type I don't have yet? It's really not needed unless there's a chase sequence here later.) where you Ballspark through seven screens or so and slam into home. That was fun and amusing.

It's also possible the 'back way' to that E-Tank was actually the intended way and the other way is a red herring from a particularly cruel designer.

Velk likes this.
  8. SwiftRosenthal

NW Artaria is one of... five shinesparks that are required for 100% yet shouldn't exist outside of romhacks. The midair shinesparks in SC Dairon (right after you get the speed booster) and lower Ferenia (right after the Quiet Robe cutscene) are on that list. The two worst in the entire game are NW Ferenia and then a particularly well-hidden passage in a different area that I don't know if you've found. All of these are so much worse than anything in Fusion or ZM, not even the Chozodia racetrack (right after you get the second suit) or the two in the wide-open room in Crateria (just use the nearby Chozodia corridor as a runway).

The central Artaria ballspark was at least kind enough to give a slot at one end of the runway that you could use to line up the shot perfectly. I don't count it as one of the bad ones.

9. Scygnus

Scygnus Well worn.

I'll give them a shot at least, but may give up on that sweet 100% completion if they frustrate me too hard.

Where I am, though, I have another theory- don't confirm it for me, I'm just getting it out there for prosperity if I got it right.

Raven Beak didn't spare Samus. He also didn't alter her body to whatever it is now. Adam and Samus think he could take her down easy. But Raven Beak isn't showing himself. Isn't confronting her. Because he's afraid. When it was down to the wire, her Metroid DNA woke up and said Hi. And possibly severely injured or even nearly killed him. Note the glow around Samus' hand just before the EMMI shot her and then Quiet Robe interrupted. Metroid drain? Maybe.

Well, it's either that or he's doing a 'become my bride and we can make superbabies and rule the universe together' bit, I'd say.

10. Deathwings

Deathwings Questionable French Guy

Dude, I've 100% the game even tough my reflexes are utter shit and I keep mixing up button inputs. Now, the Sequence Breaks, those are Frame Perfect, but the normal puzzle aren't that hard. And they're nowhere near Rom Hack grade hard.

11. SwiftRosenthal

I 100%ed as well, but it was a fucking struggle. "The two worst in the game" that I mentioned certainly felt frame-perfect. I don't even know what was different about the successful attempt on one of them compared the rest, and the other...
    Central Burenia, from the green teleporter room? That's on a sequence-break route (early Gravity). The runway is one tile too short to even let you charge on the same platform. I had to use the wall-jump rebound tech - which I grew to hate, between this tank and NW Ferenia - and charge on the platform above the door, and it didn't even always work. Midair sparking to the second stage of the course was only possible because I had to learn it for the lower Ferenia missiles, but the midair acrobatics required me to let go of the FUCKING GARBAGE RUN BUTTON without realizing and that meant I was no longer in speed boost mode to make it through the slide and to the third stage.

(Then, just for added insult, when I finally made it all the way through, the tank blended into the background and I left through the escape hatch without grabbing it.)

Romhack shinesparks should stay in romhacks.

12. Deathwings

Dude, even that sequence (and yes, I do agree it's the hardest of them) isn't anywhere near the sheer bullshit Romhack are made from. You're either seriously overestimating Dread or seriously underestimating what the average Romhack is like.

searcher8 and Vinylshadow like this.
  13. doomlord9

doomlord9 Experienced.

Performance for newer consoles. PC, where the mods this move is going to screw over are, doesn't have any particular need to have this forced on them.

They're forcing it anyway, because it's easier that way. As stated in the quote, they could just not do that on PC and bypass it with a DLL, but....eh, too much effort.

searcher8 likes this.
  14. Scygnus

Scygnus Well worn.

*That Moment*
    *OG Metroid Music*
    [​IMG]

When she grabbed that spike, man... wow. Piss off Adam, I can too kill them without brainjuice.

A bit curious about why the brain shut down- I suppose they were linked somehow, though the brain shutting down because of the EMMI dying seems to imply a kind of relationship I didn't expect. 'Everything is proceeding according to plan' looking more likely just for that.

Maybe he's cottoned on to the real game-breaker, that Samus is way more dangerous than any Metroid and he's planning to clone her instead. Boss fight against yet another Samus clone?

Turned back from Hanubia for now though- with the Power Bomb, I can clean out all the other areas. Once that's done, then I head into Hanubia.

Also fuck that power bomb to the right of the network room in Hanubia and it's making you go in circles shit. I tried shinesparking down way earlier and didn't think it worked.

Deathwings likes this.
  15. vyor

vyor Oh that's cute

If it gets raytracing like I'm pretty sure it will... the PC will need that perf boost too.

16. Scygnus

Scygnus Well worn.

Well that's that. 100% item collection, final time 10:20. Not too shabby.

Final boss was pretty good- got rekt the first few times, but once you know his pattern it's not too hard. Phase 2 was pretty neat.

My controller was glitching a bit, though- kept wanting to charge instead of fire with each press? Dunno. May need new controllers.

Really disappointed we didn't get a proper fight against RA-X. Escape sequence was pretty good, think I only had 30 seconds on the clock- mostly because I had a heck of a time finding the exit to the first area.

Also: how the fuck Quiet Robe.

How did he keep himself from being controlled by the X? Or did his memories spark a schism in the X Hivemind itself? Did he clear out Samus' Metroid DNA, or just reinforce her Thoha genes to give her some control over it?

That last bit left me with more questions than answers.

Also questions about whether this meshes with the original lore or not. Old Bird was Thoha, Grey Voice was Mawkin, maybe?

Also: Are there alternate endings? The Ending tab in the gallery only gave me one picture for beating it.

Might try Hard Mode. Maybe.

17. SwiftRosenthal

The first phase only progresses when you use melee counters. Two of my ten deaths to that phase came from running out of missile ammo because I tried to win the traditional way and had no way of knowing that I wasn't doing real damage. Boss HP bars have been in the series since Prime! :mad:

I had the same problem with exiting the first room.

I blame Chozo mysticism. QR was a much more spiritually-inclined sort than the warrior types or RB. I hope it's the latter.

Yes. Picture requirements are:
    Clear Normal
    Clear Normal sub 8 hours
    Clear Normal sub 4 hours
    Clear Hard
    Clear Hard sub 8 hours
    Clear Hard sub 4 hours
    Get all of the above rewards.
    You can do more than one in the same playthrough. The other gallery was filled by getting 100% items in each of the 8 areas, with a bonus one for getting all of them.

18. Scygnus

Scygnus Well worn.

I cottoned onto the counters bit early- I think you do a little damage when he's blue/pink/purple, but not much, and when he turns gold you can hear the distinct 'tink' of failing to hurt him.

Don't think I'm gonna get all those images- I was never good at speedrunning. Ah well. Might try hard anyway.

19. SwiftRosenthal

The nice thing about Hard is that enemies already deal such ludicrous amounts of damage in Normal that "enemies do double damage" isn't much of a handicap. What difference does it make whether a boss kills you in 20 seconds or just 10? This is the same reason why the game is so (ugh) "friendly" to low-% runs. Enemy damage output being so high makes E-tanks nearly worthless, and the only two offense types that are worth a damn are counters and Screw Attack (so there's no need for missiles and PBs either).

MS: "Shooting your enemies? In a Metroid game? LOL"

The lame thing about Hard is that doubling enemies' damage output is literally all it does.

20. Deathwings

None of the 2D Metroid ever included any health bar. :rolleyes:

Melmar likes this.
  21. SwiftRosenthal

None of the 2D Metroids made a distinction between stun damage and real damage. Prime did, and gave you a visible health bar so you could tell whether or not you were actually doing anything.

22. Deathwings

So, basically, your biggest bone with the game is that it's not Prime.

23. SwiftRosenthal

My biggest beef with the game is the melee counters - not the timing, but the Mary Sue-like way MS treats them.

Me: "I want E-tanks to be worth the effort!"
    MS: "Bosses do at least half a tank of damage per hit, often more. LOL"
    Me: "I want to shoot enemies with my beams!"
    MS: "LOL that'll do jackshit. Use the melee counter."
    Me: "I want to shoot enemies with my missiles!"
    MS: "LOL you're not even doing real damage (but you'll have to read our minds to figure this out). Use the melee counter. Also, this means missile tanks are worthless."
    Me: "Alright, I beat your fucking game, now fuck you. I'm going back to Super (Redux), Fusion, ZM, and Prime 1-2. If I want melee in my Metroidvania, I'll play an Iga game or Hollow Knight instead."

Derek58 likes this.
  24. Deathwings

I'm sorry, but not recognizing the very distinctive PING sound the missiles makes when they hit during that phase is the same as every other instances where they hit an indestructible part of a boss is on you.

vyor and searcher8 like this.
  25. Melmar

Melmar Should probly stop sayin' words

Also complaining about the enemies doing a ton of damage is silly. I'm playing Fusion right now: regular ass enemies can do up to thirty damage a hit so that's not exactly new. Also also, Prime 1 & 2 both had bosses you couldn't damage unless you did something that you literally never had to do before that point. Having the final boss need you to use one of the core gameplay mechanics isn't exactly unreasonable.

26. SwiftRosenthal

I haven't had travel headphones in years and often play portable games (including the Switch's tabletop mode, which I used for most of my playthrough) on mute. When I game on PC, I usually replace the game's soundtrack completely with my own music choices.
    Prime 1 and 2 could do that because the visual indicator for stun damage was a very different color than the indication of real damage, oh and they had health bars.

27. Melmar

Melmar Should probly stop sayin' words

How dare the game force you to notice the guy isn't flashing white like he's taking damage.

Anonnermus likes this.
  28. Velk

Velk Brok3n1s

Metroid Dread stuff

Fuck the final boss with a rusty spork.

I've been beating my head against this second phase for the last few days. By the time I get there, I'm down to two tanks of health.

I feel like the FB got the same 'buff' that the entirety of Castlevania: Circle of the Moon did. In that the testers managed to test everything to the point that even the hardest parts of the game managed to become easy for them to do that the devs decided to up the difficulty for the final release.

29. Deathwings

Dude, that's still on you. It's hardly the devs' fault that you're playing the game without using the full range of tools they've provided you. You made that choice yourself.

Fact is, Metroids has tons of auditory aspects to its gameplay. Counters have a sound cue distinctive enough you can time yourself with them if the white flash isn't enough, you can roughly determine how far the EMMIs are from you just from how faint their constant BIp Boping get, hell it's easier to determine when Samus is going full speed with the Speed Boost from the sound it makes then just the visual. No fucking wonder you had so much trouble with everything reflex related if you cut off 50% of your perceptions!

30. Scygnus

Scygnus Well worn.

Really? By my fourth and final try, phases one and two could barely hit me. The big black balls take four missiles to break and drop health and ammo, so my health was still full or almost by phase 2 after the few times I did take hits. The only hits I ever took were the almost-the-whole-room going off while I was running from a ball (which barely does any damage) and getting caught by his combo once or twice.

The loading screen doesn't lie- there are no unavoidable attacks. Learn his tells and how to avoid each and you can get through him with hardly a scratch- even moreso for phase 2. The superlaser timing is pretty tight, yeah, but everything else is telegraphed from a mile away.

Phase 3 I only played through once because I got it on the second try and the first didn't last long enough to matter. That one's more difficult, yes, so I didn't have it down, but by that point with hardly any damage I could just tough it out.

In Short:

Deathwings and Derek58 like this.