1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

One Positive Change at a Time (ASOIAF: Viserys SI) Dead.

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Flightless Man, Oct 12, 2021.

?

Future wife (need time to shape things in the chosen direction)

Poll closed Nov 5, 2021.
  1. Brienne of Tarth

47 vote(s)
    12.1%
  2. Arianne Martell

158 vote(s)
    40.8%
  3. Margery Tyrell

184 vote(s)
    47.5%
  4. Asha Greyjoy

64 vote(s)
    16.5%
  5. Ygritte

47 vote(s)
    12.1%
  6. Sarella Sand

22 vote(s)
    5.7%
  7. Nymeria Sand

31 vote(s)
    8.0%
  8. Tyene Sand

15 vote(s)
    3.9%
  9. Mya Stone

44 vote(s)
    11.4%
  10. Rhaenys Martell

135 vote(s)
    34.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ATP

ATP Experienced.

Good.Swords against any decent armour could do little,unless you have Valyrian one or look like Gregor.But spear could be useful,too.

Flightless Man likes this.
  2. Mistroz

Mistroz Versed in the lewd.

Excellent chapter

3. Threadmarks: Chapter 15: Dragons Dance, Fish Fly, And People Die
    Flightless Man

Flightless Man Versed in the lewd.

Chapter 15: Dragons Dance, Fish Fly, And People Die
    Viserys

Tyrion strums his last chord while I have my own melody fade to silence and we bow with Garlan to the sound of polite applause. Mother is the only one who actually seems impressed with our single performance of ‘Flowers of Spring’, but at least those at the head table can feign interest well enough.

Most however just seem eager for the real musicians to begin and so the three of us hurry off of the dance floor. Almost at once a far more pleasing tune fills the air and I’m forced to hold in a giggle at the sight of Cersei dragging a blushing Stannis from his seat.

He’s representing the Baratheons tonight and is doing a respectable job of socializing, though definitely not comfortably based on his posture. Even Ned looks to be enjoying his own dance with Catelyn as they exchange pleasant words with Mother and her new husband.

I can see Edmure off to the side with Willas, both in the middle of wooing the half a dozen maidens eager for a chance at the heirs. Sandor hasn’t budged from his own place at our table, his eyes however haven’t even seem to registered our arrival.

Like a love sick puppy he watches a Blanetree girl be twirled by her older brother gracefully and I can actually see his self pity grow in his eyes by the second. This won’t do, weddings are supposed to be fun for everyone.

“You’re going to need a partner so you can protect me in that crowd, hope you know how to dance.” He shakes his head fiercely and starts to pale. The Kingsguard are here, you don’t need me to join you.”

“I paid you to be my friend didn’t I?” He nods uncomfortably at the expressions of distaste Tyrion and Garlan both share. “Well I wing-man for my friends.” All three of them frown in confusion as I stride with confidence towards the father and daughter.

“What’s a damn Wing-man?” Sandor’s confused remark makes me grin.

When Tyrion tries to come up with an answer for him I nearly laugh aloud. “Must be a dragon thing… maybe it means our future wives are the dragons and he wants to make sure your ‘dragon’ doesn’t try and kill you?”

“I think it just means he wants our wives to get along as well as the riders do.” Garlan is far more confident in his answer and I have to take a second to keep the laughter buried. “He might say some strange things, but Grandmother says it’s because he was practically raised by the Kingsguard. Viserys doesn’t really know how to be a child and this is his chance to learn.”

Once I do manage to get over my giggling, I quickly intercept the Blanetrees before they can look for new partners. “Greetings to you Lord Blanetree and again to you lovely daughter.” I bow only enough to make them notice the effort.

“You as well young Viserys.” He puts a hand on her back and lightly presses her forward. “This is my eldest child Zhoe and we are both grateful for the invitation.” Hoster was the one who decided on everything, all I had to do was give Mother to him during the ceremony.

“I have an extremely important favor to ask of you Lady Zhoe,” Using all the childlike charm I have at my dispossal, I take her hand and press a kiss to the back of it. “I wish to have the second dance with my Mother, but I require my sword sword to join me. Dancing Dragons have been known to be dangerous and I would not dare risk such a happy occasion.”

She blushes pink as I point towards Sandor’s brooding form still seated with our friends. Sandor Clegane is the brother of the new Lord Clegane.” I let the knowledge of him being the brother of the rebellion’s most well known hero sink in. “He requires a dance partner of his own and it is you I have seen his gaze following for most of the night.”

Her father is quick to give his blessing and I lead the blushing Zhoe back to our friends. She’s barely five feet tall though not of a slender build. Her bones are thick and her lightly tanned cheeks are very prominent. A head of sandy blonde hair hangs halfway down her back in three interlocked braids and her blue eyes shimmer with excitement.

“Sandor has an old injury on his face that he took saving a child from a fire.” I warn her quietly and neglect to inform her the child was him. “He doesn’t like speaking of it but please don’t let it frighten you. It’s his mark of honor for facing such a monster and living.”

Zhoe agrees softly and allows me to introduce her to a terrified Sandor. “This is Sandor Clegane, Lord Tyrion Lannister, and Garlan Tyrell, they’re my best friends.”

Well aside from them and the Seaworths I don’t have anyone else, so this declaration was more to confirm it for myself out loud. It really has been nice not being looked at like vermin by most of the castle staff. I can’t blame the people at Storm’s End, I am a hostage after all… but this instant respect is addicting.

Tyrion’s shock at the claim shifts into relieved joy, while beside him Garlan puffs out his chest in pride at the acknowledgment. Sandor however looks frozen in fright by Zhoe’s friendly smile and barely stutters out his own awkward hello.

“I’m going to go dance with my mother now,” Smirking at Tyrion and Garlan I point towards the rapidly diminishing pool of maidens for them to approach. “You two had better hurry or it’ll only be Freys left.”

With that unpleasant idea left to stew, I march right towards my Mother and Hoster. She genuinely seems to be enjoying herself and at least seems to consider Hoster a friend. I have no reason to dislike but I can’t help but feel like he’s taken something from me. Which is ridiculous, I’m the one who was handing out my family members like mints.

As midnight approaches nearly half of the guests have retired and it’s only those making secretive deals and trying to find a bed partner are still present. And of course those to young for the real fun like my friends and I are trying to avoid being sent to bed.

“Sandor Clegane sitting under a Blanetree,” I try to tease the teen but he just flings a biscuit at me in response. “First comes love and then comes marriage.” The two glasses of wine I had managed to sneak over the night make my face warm and my mind lighter than it has been in months.

“Oh shut yer mouth, I was just keeping you safe.” His ears go bright red as soon as Edmure and Willas hoot and holler on either side of him.

Tyrion snorts from behind his own glass of wine and seems to finally just be having fun. “So why did I see you talking to Lord Blanetree as they left?”

“I might need her help protecting Viserys for Prince Stannis’ wedding.” Now it’s the gruff teens turn to smirk.

“Don’t remind me.” Groans Tyrion as he begins banging his head on the table in frustration. “She’ll be a Princess and be able to do what ever she wants again.”

Defending my stubborn cousin firmly, I just don’t see things playing out like they did with Robert. “Nah. Stannis won’t let Cersei push him around, she’ll at least need to be subtle if she wants to harass you now.”

“I’ll believe it when I see it,” Counters the only one here smaller than me. “He was getting led around by her wiles all night long.”

“I don’t know… she seemed pretty smitten when she was sent to bed by your Father.” Edmure proves why he’s the one I’m calling brother now and agrees with me.

“Who is that!” I catch sight of the rotund redhead from a few days ago and hiss at Edmure, having to correct him when he stares at a vomiting man in Fisher colors. “No, the one going up onto the battlements.”

He doesn’t know and this fills me with anxiety. “It’s Lord Varys. He was my father’s Master of Whispers.”

“What’s he doing here?” Edmure gets more upset than I’ve ever seen him and he grabs a knife from the table. “Doesn’t matter, we’re going to find out.” Well their goes my tell an adult plan. “Come on!”

With determination the Tully heir leads us after the man, with Sandor hissing at us to quiet down. He’s the only one of us with a real weapon, with myself having grabbed a good sized rock and the rest brandishing knives from the table.

Except for Lord Tyrion it would seem. I notice he has Talon clenched in his shaking hand and can only hope he’s been shown how to use it.

Creeping along the walls of Riverrun is making my blood rush and all I can hear is my heart boom in my ears. Soon hushed whispers from ahead have me stop a little too suddenly, making Garlan stop on a creaky board.

Shit! Is all I have time to think as Edmure gives up on stealth and confidently walks towards the three figures. Two are in armor though I can’t see from which House with so little light and the third is a once again bald Varys.

“It was you!” I lose my own fear and know things have gotten deadly serious. You don’t catch the Spider in the act and just walk away, someone is going to die.

“It’s so good to see you again Prince Viserys, I was hoping to find time to speak with you.” He oozes deceit with every word and even in my intoxicated state I can hear it.

“Why are you here?”

Growling at him only makes his smile change into a sad frown and he keeps going with even more lies. “New babes and the mother are ever so fragile, I only wish to ensure those living here face no… unpleasantness with so many strangers present in Riverrun.”

“If you go near a single member of my family,” No more games, time to show him the same teeth only Aerys, Jaime, and Rhaenys have seen before from me. “What I do to you will actually earn me the black.”

“Something like kinslaying you mean?” Varys smirks as I smack myself for being stupid. Of course Vary knows what I did… but why hasn’t he told the world yet?

“So you really do have Valyrian blood, the rumors are true?” Trying to turn it back on him is harder than I had expected and I can only curse myself for drinking. Never again, I get even dumber when I drink.

The sudden shift in mood is noticed by everyone and Sandor draws his sword in response to the two knights pulling weapons. Willas and Garlan take the one on the left as a team and I have no time left to worry about the Tyrells.

Sandor clashes with the knight wielding a morning star, saving my head from becoming paste but Varys is quick to dart for me. He grabs my throat in one hand and readies his other to stab downwards with his own dagger.

Tyrion saves me by nearly slicing said wrist in half in the middle of his jump and takes the blade in he shoulder for me with a pained shriek. Voices from bellow become aware something is wrong too late and Edmure slams into Varys.

“Stay away from my family!” Edmure’s roar of defiance is a repeat of my own earlier warning though his has far more of an effect.

Varys and Edmure Tully both go over the battlements to my horror and I can only watch them land helplessly. The spy master’s head slams against the ground the ground with a skull shattering crunch, but the groaning Edmure is who I cry upon seeing.

One arm is bent backwards at the elbow beneath him and one leg just looks… wrong. The stump he crashed on top of has his back bent at a horrible angle and I ignore the fight to leap off into the water only a dozen feet from Edmure.

The splash brings anyone still looking for the commotion running towards us and I pull myself from the water only to see Catelyn holding her brother’s hand. I don’t arrive in time to hear most of his words, but I do hear him gasp his final ones to a sobbing Cat.

“Family.” He smiles at her with bloodstained lips. “Duty.” Now I get the smile and I just feel unworthy. “Honor.” Spitting some red froth in Varys’ direction makes her release a single grim laugh.

“Promise me Ned.” When Edmure looks to a nodding Ned, I vow this is a promise two will keep. “Make sure you name a kid after me.”

Last edited: Oct 25, 2021
  4. Felius

Felius Experienced.

So... Edmure is dead or crippled there?

Also,
    I don't believe you established it was Dayne here.

5. CreepyUncleLuke

CreepyUncleLuke Superior Shut-In

Varys is dead right? please don't make this some bullshit where he comes back at the worst possible time.

6. Phoenix Invictus

Phoenix Invictus Know what you're doing yet?

Well, that was... unexpected.

Maybe a bit OOC for Varys to risk himself in such a way, but then some snot-nosed brat just flipped his painstakingly laid out game board and this whole operation is a desperate gamble cooked up at the eleventh hour.

It'll be interesting to see the fallout from this.

7. Flightless Man

Edmure is sadly dead.

Oh, Willis Wode (knightly house sworn to the Whents) uses a morning star as his weapon. I'm going to keep it for myself so I can always star at what playing around leads to when lives are at stake. Every fight with it will be in Edmure's memory.

Oh yes, He is dead. Was all because of how the vote here is turning out. Illyrio will be mad.

Yeah once he heard Rhaella/Stannis had people seraching for him he was panicking. Made it sound like Cat was a target and Edmure snapped.

ATP likes this.
  8. Felius

Felius Experienced.

The issue is that was the first mention of a morning star, and it doesn't quite come clear that you were talking about a weapon, or that one of the men with Varys had one. Maybe a quick mention before of which weapons each one was carrying?

9. Flightless Man

Sandor clashes with the knight wielding a morning star, is the change. Good call.

10. Extras: 284 to 290 Timeskip
    Flightless Man

Viserys is 14 and Davos' squire.

Eddard/Catelyn Stark: Edith 285(early), Sansa 286(late), Jon 288(early), Arya 289 (mid).
    Robert Baratheon/Lyanna Stark: Jennelyn 286 (late), Edric 288(mid).
    Stannis Baratheon/Cersei Lannister: Joffrey 286 (early), Shireen 289 (early), Cersei pregnant 290.
    Jaime Lannister/Lynesse Hightower: , Myrcella 290 (early)
    Rhaella/Hoster: 287 (mid) Twins Baelor and Jaenaera.
    Barristan/Ashara Selmy: Vorian 285(early), Ella 287(early), Ulrick 289(late),
    Davos/Marya Seaworth: Devan 287 (mid), Stannis 289 (late)

Robert Baratheon and Lyanna Stark: 284
    Jaime Lannister and Lynesse Hightower: 284
    Stannis Baratheon and Cersei Lannister: 285
    Brynden Tully and Shella Whent: 285 (No love and only done to piss Hoster off with a technicality.)

Willas's leg broken during attack at Riverrun.
    Tyrion given less hassle from vassals, Gerion no longer his regent as of 289.
    Hightowers rebuilding Castamere.
    Garlan Tyrell rules Old Town with Olenna as Regent (doesn't matter which Tyrell cousin has it in name, we all know she's in charge).
    Sandor and Renly become Barristan Selmy's squires (They do not get along), Sandor knighted in 288 though is remaining until Viserys is an adult.
    Houses Goodbrook and Wode lose lands and go into exile with Jon Connington.
    Renfred Rykker pretends to be own bastard son Addam
    Brynden Tully given Harrenhal.
    Barristan becomes Master of Arms at Storm's End, when Ser Cortnay becomes a Kingsguard.

Hand: Jon Arryn
    Grand Maester: Garmon
    Master of Coin: Tywin Lannister
    Master of Ships: Gerion Lannister
    Master of Laws: Stannis Baratheon
    Master of Whispers: Wyman Manderly

Kingsguard
    Lord Commander: Lomas Estermont
    2: Amory Lorch
    3: Boros Blount
    4: Benjen Stark
    5: Cortnay Penrose
    6: Lymond Lynderly
    7: Hugo Vance

Last edited: Nov 10, 2021
  11. ATP

ATP Experienced.

Varys needed to die,and Edmure dying is not bad,either - he was good,but incopetent.Such Lords serve better their people dying early.Tyrion is now hero.Good small council,and with exception of Lorch much better Kingsguard.
    And SI still do better running on his brigantine.He did what he could,now others should face Others.Sorry for bad pun.
    So,rather not take any waifu from Westeros.

12. Flightless Man

Smooshed one spider. Edmure would have been a fine 2nd son, but he lacks something needed in a heir.

Yeah, Tyrion will have a way easier time on Dragonstone now and he even saved Rhaenys' favorite uncle. His life is looking smooth for a few years.
    I tried to balance the Council and Kingsguard with named characters from 6 Kingdoms.
    I'll have a ship soon... Mwa ha ha! And yeah, Others is the King's responsibility. I'm not even a knight yet.

Looks like Margaery will win and if she does I'm using show age Margaery instead (4 years older, born in 279). Makes me uncomfortable when I realized we had a 7 and a half year age gap.
    I will have a few other romances/flings though.

ATP likes this.
  13. R.A.G.

R.A.G. Well worn.

Reposting thoughts about name here:

Wonder what Viserys is thinking for a new name? He wants to 'be normal' but everyone calls him the Dirty Dragon, and unless he leans into that with the new name, it'll forever be overshadowed by people thinking of him as 'that Targaryean, dirty dragon' before anything else. His crest being a dragon probably doesn't help the targ association. Perhaps get something with multiple associations that he can play with?

For example, Tar. It's black, dirty, a pain to get off, so fits what people call him but leans hard into the 'dirty' and away from the 'dragon'. It's also lifesaving for sailors since its what you use to waterproof the hull so it doesn't rot and to make waterproof hats/tarps/etc. It's also omnipresent on ships, which he'll constantly be around/on, making it an easy association for him to build up and overwhelm the association with 'targaryens'. It's also, less directly, a reference to 'tarring a name/reputation' which can help disconnect/ruin associations between him and the Targs. And finally, perhaps most ironically, it's a shortening of Targaryen which (again, ironically) will make it easier for people to changeover since it's close to his current real name but shorter and with other associations which should undermine the associations to targaryen, turning the name into a sort of mental redirect.

If (on top of that) Ser Tar gets people calling him Viser instead of Viserys, then Ser Viser Tar should be as anonymized as he can ever get.

Venyr4434 and Flightless Man like this.
  14. Flightless Man

100% using this

15. Threadmarks: Chapter 16: Six Years Later, 290 AC
    Flightless Man

Chapter 16: Six Years Later, 290 AC
    Viserys

Ducking under Dale’s swing with the blunt blade, I swing my chain with a padded weight around his ankle. He groans but isn’t hurt beyond some bruising and I yank as hard as I can. He flails his arms as he falls backwards into the mud, splattering me in nearly as much as my closest friend now wears.

“About damn time, I was starting to think I’d never be able to go home.” Sandor lets out a bark of laughter. “Only took you what… seven years to beat him?”

“Six and a half.” He dodges the ball of mud I throw with well practiced ease and I can only grumble back petulantly. “Still the best shot in the castle.”

He shrugs and doesn’t contest my skill with a bow. “I wouldn’t like my chances fighting you at more than a hundred yards, but any closer and you better make those three shots count.”

I can get that many decently aimed ones off in the time it takes him to run that far, but he knows to keep his face lowered when he goes after an archer. All our time together wasn’t just good for me, Sandor has friends… hell I’m pretty sure once he claims his keep Zhoe’s father will let them marry.

“Clear the yard and go clean yourself up.” Renly and his friends approach for the practice they just missed. “Cersei has something she wants to talk to you about and we all know she doesn’t like it when you live up to your reputation. So please don’t put her in an even worse mood than she normally is.”

Great, I love talking to Cersei… especially when Stannis is off in King’s Landing serving as Master of Laws. “Thanks.” Renly nods stiffly and nearly collides with Ronnet Connington as he tries to leave the yard with Sandor. “Watch where you’re going Connington.”

Ronnet was one of Renly’s friends at first, but that quickly changed. But then again so was I, not like Renly has ever proven he cares about family… except maybe getting Robert’s approval. When the Connington’s lost their Lordship Renly nearly forgot the boy even existed, thankfully Dale seemed just as in need of a friend while I was at Mother’s wedding.

He and Sandor have something to prove to the world and I’m just happy they can push against each other. I just want to fade into obscurity once I earn my spurs. That should at least make Renly satisfied, even if Mother thinks it a waste of my talents.

“See you at supper,” I mumble to the three as we enter the castle, with myself heading for the families baths. “I had better not keep the Lady of Storm’s End waiting, you lot go have some fun.” The real issue isn’t her disliking me, it’s this strange fondness to for me in the last year or two that makes my skin crawl.

When she was pregnant with Joffrey she was meaner and more short tempered. With Shireen though, Cersei was very compassionate and forgiving for the entire nine months. The third one she’s halfway through is the worst however by far.

One second she’s happy and sweet, the next her mood switches to one of pure unbridled anxiety. It’s unsettling how she seems to cling for me when those moods hit her and I can only hope this is an official meeting with Ser Barristan present.

Since Ser Cortnay Penrose’s appointment to the Kingsguard, Barristan has taken over as the Master of Arms here at Storm’s End. With Davos in the capital or sailing back and forth for half the year with Stannis, Cersei is effectively in charge of all but the guards.

Ashara Selmy and Marya Seaworth have been her only ladies in waiting aside from her cousin brought from the Rock and it took Cersei a few years to assert her control over the rowdy men here. But I have to admit once she did, it was secure as any knot Davos would tie.

After my bath of water that would scald anyone else living here, I dress in fresh clothing in my own colors. The scars from where I had scratched at my chicken pox are still red and angry against my always pale skin, making me wish I could remember that time more clearly. Hope I didn’t admit anything better kept secret… like you know, killing my father.

Cersei says she took care of me, but that must have been the maid bathing me when I was delirious… Cersei wouldn’t do something nice like that. I nearly died with a very severe case for a four and ten year old, though Joffrey and Shireen don’t even have a mark. Same as my last life, was so old I couldn’t even enjoy the two weeks off school.

Finally I find Cersei waiting in her garden, both her children present under the vigilant gaze of Ashara as her own children’s voices reassure me this will be only a normal visit. I can’t see Duncan and I think he should be with Cressen for a while longer, but her and Barristan’s three are here.

No way Duncan is actually a Selmy, he looks just like a Stark. But if they want to cover up Brandon or Ned ‘shaming’ her this way… who am I to ruin everything. He came here to protect me even after I dismissed him, kind of hard to care which kid he wants to adopt.

The blonde head of Joffrey orders about Vorian just like his mother would, while Ulrick and his sister are more content to giggle in the sun nearby. When I glance at the infant Shireen in Cersei’s arms, the head of thick black hair and blue eyes make me have hope for the parentage of the third child.

“You like the new clothes I had made for you?” Cersei smiles at me with a stare that seems just a tad to ‘friendly’ for someone beside her husband. “The dye is from Myr and the cotton was the highest quality. It’s such a shame you do so much to hide your good looks.”

What the hell is going on with her lately, is she going to try and seduce me or something? I owe Stannis to much to ever do that to him and that’s not counting the issue of what happens if I ever get caught. Sorry Cersei, but this world has more than enough options for me to resort to something that dumb.

“Who are you trying to marry him off to?” Ashara finds this as strange I do and says something about it. “Are you and Jaime trying to pair him with a cousin of yours back in the Westerlands? Is that why you want him to accompany you to the Rock?”

“I’m glad at least one of my ladies has a brain.” Neither confirming it nor denying the accusation makes the hair on my neck stand upright. Someone’s trying to get me involved in something, I know it!

The realization of a plot underfoot raises my paranoia to an unhealthy degree and I just sigh. “Can you at least see if you have any Hills near my age?” If she’s going to use me I can’t help it, but maybe acceptance can at least make it a less prestigious match.

“Oh Viserys, you shouldn’t aim so low.” Cersei hisses with dissatisfaction at my answer. “Only a Lord Paramounts’ daughter will do for you… or at least a niece or granddaughter of one.”

Is that what she wants, me and Shireen? The idea makes a disturbing amount of sense to me and I can barely conceal the shudders. She’s like thirteen years younger than me, I’m stealing Davos’ boat if that’s really your plan. Or I can just go marry some commoner or maybe a bastard and hope I can get her with child before Stannis finds me. He’ll make me do my duty and honor the marriage.

“See, that’s a much better idea isn’t it?” Smirks Cersei at the sight of my shifting expressions, thinking I’m on board with her plan when my face stops at a relieved grin.

“Just tell him about the letter please, he’ll be eager to get on the road I bet.” Ashara rolls her eyes at us and turns back to her children.

“I was getting to that,” Scowling at the violet eyed woman she calls a friend, Cersei does eventually share the information. “Viserys, I have some bad news for you.” She gives me a moment to ready myself. “Since Renly has no seat of his own… King Robert has decreed Summerhall is to be given to him. It will be rebuilt as ‘befitting’ a Baratheon Prince.”

I barely feel a twinge over the loss, more disappointed I won’t have a chance to search for Valyrian steel or the Summerhall Seven than anything. “Good for him. It’ll be nice to have some peace and quiet around here once he and his friends are gone.” I will miss Ronnet though.

“Stannis wanted to make sure you had a chance to visit first and search the rubble for heirlooms or trinkets that may remain.” My heart starts to pound in my chest when I hear that. “He convinced the King to delay the announcement until Renly’s nameday.” That’s in six weeks! “You and your friends can leave in the morning, but you will take four of Barristan’s men with you.”

16. Mistroz

Mistroz Versed in the lewd.

Excellent chapter

17. ATP

ATP Experienced.

Good Cersei,occasion for Valyrian weapons,friends....VISERYS,IT IS TRAP,RUN !!!!!!!!!
    Jokes aside - he probably found nothing,there was nothing in canon which could help him.And,if Margery really start liking him,it better for him to run.Chance for getting killed are much bigger then getting crowned.Running to sea with Ariel the mermeid is much better option.

Venyr4434 likes this.
  18. R.A.G.

R.A.G. Well worn.

Even if he doesn't find any dragon eggs or valyrian steel, or wood for his ship, if he can find at least a little bit of gold he'll be golden. Some personal funds are always good.

And yeah Cersei wants him which is... worrisome. The hell did he say when he was sick "you were always the hottest one here" or something?
    Actually, wait, how long ago was he sick? Because Cersei took care of him and is currently pregnant. But she likely wouldn't have been able to take care of him if she was already pregnant (due to maester recommendations/fear of her getting sick and miscarrying if nothing else)... Could Vyserys have gotten raped while indisposed like Littlefinger was? Cersei never really got over wanting to fuck a Targ, tbh.

Robthebunman, Venyr4434 and Ryden1 like this.
  19. Flightless Man

Thank you

LOL! Yeah, this is his last chance before he gets embroiled in danger.
    In canon the ruins of Summerhall are considered cursed and really only Rhaegar seems to have visited. Anything buried in the rubble remains.

You keep bringing up Mermaids, so I hope you like the little nod coming your way soon.

True and since Rhaella lived I don't get Aery's bank account.

About 6-7 months ago since she and Jaime had Chicken ox as kids (i this fic). :sneaky: You have a good brain.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
    ATP likes this.
  20. ATP

ATP Experienced.

Viserys said after Varys death that he could have Valyrian blood.Did somebody checked it? and did they found his friend in Pentos?

21. R.A.G.

R.A.G. Well worn.

And the baby is born in 3 months... Well shit, better hope nobody else makes that connection/guess. Perhaps Ser Tarr is best going on his merry way with that changed name :V
    (maybe also dye his hair black 'in the myrish fashion')

Flightless Man and Ryden1 like this.
  22. Flightless Man

I'll need to do something worth being knighted firstm but hair dye is a good idea.

For the next 3 or 4 days the chapters are going to slow down, Windstorm has knocked enough stuff down in my yard I just don't have the energy to writre more than 50 words at a time.

23. ATP

ATP Experienced.

Take your time.And i have better idea - four field rotation.It would bring money to everybody who have it.For Cersei - maybe good shampoo?

24. Flightless Man

Thanks, I have one done now, but tommorow will probably not have one. The wind knocked all the wallnuts down at once and I've been sorting a few thousand every day. My fingers hurt so much.

Perfume... I have an idea.

25. Threadmarks: Chapter 17: Growing Up
    Flightless Man

Chapter 17: Growing Up
    Viserys

Dale and Ronnet are easy to find with the rest of the Seaworths, taking supper as a family and overlooking the fact of Ronnet not actually being one of them. He’s as much a hostage as I am, though it didn’t sink in for the Renly and his friends until word of the Conningtons no longer having a lordship was sent from King’s Landing.

Once Ronnet was left without even the shield my name still provides, only one family was willing to share a table with him. Dale is a kinder person than I am and forgave him once an awkward apology was given. If it was up to me, I would have made Ronnet work for it.

Good thing it wasn’t… Ronnet has been a far better friend than I ever would have expected based on his families fall. Dale forcing my hand on an early acceptance of the apology was the right choice and I’m just glad he keeps my more vindictive side on a leash.

Convincing them to come check out the ruins is not such a simple task, with Ronnet giving me a wide eyed look of concern. “Isn’t that place cursed? A hundred looters vanished with only a scream.”

“It wasn’t even a dozen people and they only exposed the last of the wildfire caches to the heat.” Rolling my eyes at the six and ten year old’s pale face, I explain what the official investigation revealed.

“Stannis checked with the Pyromancers before saying I could go. The moisture in the Stormlands will have ruined any wildfire that didn’t go off years ago. It’s really only going to be useful as a fire starter now according to him.

Robert wasn’t giving his brother land that might kill him and had his new Master of Whispers investigate first. Turns out the stuff in the sewers would have only lasted a year or two before degrading. Less than a dozen containers had been sealed airtight and they would have needed to be concentrated in one spot to collapse a street.

“Can I come?”Matthos nearly begs me for permission and I know better than to look at the eight year old’s sad eyes. Years of caving in to you has finally paid off. Or so I thought, because when I don’t concede like expected Allard let’s out a pained ‘ouch’, making me glance over to see him smirking beside his younger brother.

“Fine!” Throwing my arms up in a huff I admit defeat, which makes six year old Maric giggle at me with his mother. “Just make sure you’re ready to ride by the time I get our escort ready.” I’m not giving Renly a chance to worm his way onto the trip by waiting for morning.

“Sandor is training with Duncan until Renly is tired of getting embarresed by Ser Barristan.” Dale explains between bites and we share a smirk.

I used to worry about never rising above mediocrity with my martial skills. But it turns out trying to make Stannis happy, lead to working myself to exhaustion nearly every day. Having Edmure die saving me was just more motivation to stop screwing around.

Having fun with my friends is fine, but something in me shifts the second a situation shifts to live combat. I shove my smiles and compassion into some hidden corner of my mind so I can stomach the viciousness that floods my body.

Renly though has let his skills stagnate over the years and not even Barristan seems to be able to motivate my cousin. I guess having Ser William Foxglove as his sworn sword is enough for him to feel secure, but he doesn’t seem to realize the protections will end in only a few years.

I thank them and steal a slice of ham from Maric’s plate. “Your payment for coming.” He scowls at the words but doesn’t argue once it’s confirmed he’s coming.

Sandor and Duncan aren’t behind the smithy though I do get Sers Malegorn and Colen to come on the several day trip. It ends up being Ser Humfrey Clifton – one of the knights Cersei brought with her – who shows me where the pair train in secret.

Seeing Duncan Selmy dance away from Sandors admittedly slowed swings, I can only resent his raw talent with a sword. I’m good with the morning star claimed from William Wode at my mother’s wedding, but embarrassing to realize even a child can beat me with a blade.

He trains as hard as I do so I don’t begrude him his skill, I only wish I had been that good when I was his age. Edmure might be alive and Willa’s ankle wouldn’t have been shattered. Same injury as normal, though it’s me and not Oberyn who has all of Mace’s scorn.

Can’t visit Tyrion in the Crownlands and Mace won’t let me visit Garlan in Oldtown. Haven’t gotten a letter from Rhaenys in five years and never one from Aegon… which means going to Dorne isn’t really a good idea either.

Hoster’s offer of being always welcome was rescinded quietly and I’ve only seen Mother and Dany once a year since. With Robert giving away the last of my families land, I really do only have a name left to shed before I’m finally free.

I can say goodbye to Mother, Dany, and the twins, and go wherever I want. If enough of Summerhall’s wood is salvageable I can have construction begin with any funds I find in the ruins. If it’s not, hopefully at least one egg is still in one piece. Even if it’s cold to the touch, I can still trade it for a ship.

“Viserys!” A gasp of realization comes from Duncan and Sandor kicks the distracted boy onto his back.

Duncan gasps for breath on the secluded beach the two are using and glares at Sandor. “You told him!”

“No I didn’t,” Growls Sandor in firm denial of the accusation. “You said it was so you could be his squire. Nothing dangerous I needed to warn him about here.”

Ser Sandor Houndsworth is a knight now and in his own words, ‘A hound is worth a hundred mountains’. The boy with long coarse black hair tied back in a loose ponytail doesn’t seem to agree though.

“At least a mountain is silent, you bark everything back to ‘Serys.”

“You want to be my squire?” I mumble in confusion to the boy who everyday looks less and less like a Selmy. Would finally give me an answer to my burning curiosity that I have somehow kept myself from just directly asking Barristan.

If he’s not a Stark boy I’ll eat a bowl of brown, only thing I need is another look at Ned for comparison. Maybe line Duncan up beside his kids and find out if he’s Brandon’s bastard or really the Quiet Wolf’s son.

“Why not Sandor’s?” With his size and your ‘father’s’ training, Sandor is by far the second best warrior in the castle.

Duncan’s ears go red as he ducks his head to mutter his answer. “Father said it’s not right, that would be nepotism.” He’s unfamiliar with the fancy word and I can tell from Sandor’s blank face that he is also. “I have to impress a knight on my own, or I’ll be living here forever when you all go off on adventures.”

“But I’m not a knight yet.” I’m not against the idea, only overwhelmed by his desperate voice.

“You will be soon.” He has tears shimmering in his eyes when he finally looks up at me. “I heard Mother and Father talking and I know the truth…”

So tell me! I manage not to scream the thought and wait patiently for the boy I still think of as Jon Snow to speak again.

“I’m not a Selmy and they’ll never tell me who my Father really is.” Clenching his shaking fists in barely contained frustration.

“I don’t know if I’m a Sand or a Storm, maybe I’m a Waters or the rumors are true and I’m really a Snow! The last part comes out as a whispered plea and I find myself with no reason to argue. “My heritage is being stolen from me and I need to know why.”

“Alright.” He looks shocked at my acceptance and I can tell he has some kind of speech he’s working on. “Once I earn my spurs we’ll go find out who you really are. It’ll be a grand old adventure for the songs, the modern day Dunc and Egg.” Not like the Summer Islands are going anywhere, I can put that voyage off a few more years.

Remembering why I’m here, I decide this can be a test drive. “Let’s go ask Ser Barristan and see if you can come with us to Summerhall. Renly should have gotten sweaty enough to go take a bath by now.”

“He’ll probably want to come.” Duncan whines like any kid would at the idea of his father tagging along.

“If he does, I’ll just tell him this is squire tryouts.” He smiles at my quick answer and gathers his belongings from the sand.​

26. CreepyUncleLuke

You'd think his mother would be pissed at only seeing him once a year because Hoster went back on his word.

27. Kolejny dzień

Kolejny dzień Another Day

There's a distinct possibility, I think, that Viserys might just be projecting guilt.

Venyr4434, Xicree and Flightless Man like this.
  28. Flightless Man

Yeah, Hoster was upset over Edmure and Viserys misunderstood Hoster saying "I don't blame you, but I don't want to look at you." Hoster just wanted to know I was coming for a visit so he could go to Harrenhal. He's the one encouraging Rhaella to go visit her son who doesn't seem to want to see her.

Venyr4434 and Cortexion like this.
  29. CreepyUncleLuke

That'll get sorted though right? Because this seems like meaningless drama.

30. Flightless Man

Oh yeah, it's not really going to affect anything besides how Viserys plans things. Once he actually talks to Hoster or Rhaella/Dany about it, it's a single conversation where he calls himself dumb by the end. It was more done as a way to leave him in Storm's End so Viserys hasn't been netwroking/know what's going on in the other kingdoms.