1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

OOhhhhhh What kinda stuff you hiding here truggs?

2. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'let me know'

'Bit of a'

I don't think he'll do that.

Yes you can, New Kara, yes you can.

3. Mastigos2

Mastigos2 Versed in the lewd.

Is anybody else getting the feeling Paul is holding a wee bit of a grudge?

Istaran, Caerwen, Finerc and 20 others like this.
  4. Massgamer

Massgamer I trust you know where the happy button is?

Truggs: "This is such bullshit! You just resorted to using a super OP version of Supergirl to steamroll through all my clever defenses rather than figuring them out!"
    OL: "Unlike Batman and the Riddler, I have a point where I rather just break the games than go along with them."

5. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

OL: No Dana Nylor's just my side piece.
    Nylor: (Dramatic gasp) he acknowledged me. (Single tear drop)

boo600, Istaran, Kalem_Lee and 26 others like this.
  6. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Nylor: Senpai acknowledged me!

7. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Huh. I suppose that kind of makes sense. Truggs has called him up enough times, I'm sure he has a few phone numbers that OL could backtrace. I would have expected him to use disposable burner phones for his calls, but... Ego, probably.

And it looks like Truggs has been notified that you're ringing his phones off the hooks. Another chance to gloat, after all...

The impressive thing is that she can likely hear him from there, but then... Near-clairaudient super-hearing. Heck, some versions of Kryptonians are basically psychics anyway, so not a great stretch for their supersenses to be applied psionic scrying...

It's amusing how civil these two are. I mean, Truggs has no reason to be salty, after all, and OL is, well, English.

Geez, you make it sound like you were dating. x3 If only you weren't on opposite sides of the law...

At least he's smart enough not to go messing around with concentrated non-existence. Let's hope he can keep his bosses from making that mistake, though.

Ah, OL. the bearer of good news. :p I'm sure Truggs is ready to break out the party-poppers any second...

Surprised Kara-1 didn't blush at that. Or react at all. I mean, Fifties morality... Guess she's just too focused on Trugg's voice to hear anything closer... Glad to see it wasn't just me who thought that about those two, though.

Call-backs for the win. ...Not that I can remember more than the bare bones of that bit, besides Persuader showing up? o_O

Given that Trugg's brain is only human, enhancements or not... I rather suspect he'd have trouble recognising if he's forgotten something.

:sneaky: Heh, there's a change of tune. That shut him right the eff up.

Evidently your preparations weren't sufficient. No doubt he'll already be scrambling to think up new options...

It's impressive that Truggs just believes him. It's too fantastical to be a bluff, so surely...

...Not quite as far as you came, Nylor, my boy. But technically, yes.

Easy there, OL! You don't just drop that on someone like that. I think you derailed his train of thought. :p

Good thing he's got fairly reliable physical enhancements, or he might well have had a minor heart attack there. Certainly a momentary panic attack...

Temporal mechanics probably give Maltusians a minor annoyance. Imagine how bad it is for everyone else?

Goddammit, OL, you actually said it? Good thing everyone already thinks you're a gifted idiot...

Hey, he was close. Only one (or two) syllables off...

"Are all Orange Lanterns like this, or is he just, uh... Special?"

Love it when you barely have to Bluff them. Just feed their expectations and bam, they fool themselves...

Hmm... Out of curiosity, Nylor. Were there any Supergirls in your timeline's Legion? Or Superboys?

Oh, he's quick. Or knows something. Then again, there's only one Supergirl in public right now: Loriel. Angelika has been using Overgirl, and Kara-16 hasn't really gone out in costume. So any use of plurals, well...

Good girl! Go get him, then!

Presumably you gave her a League communicator so you could track her? :p Or is the computer just hacking satellite feeds to try and spot her in flight?

Please, don't. I doubt he'll be happy about having his reading time interrupted, especially for a continuity snarl like this.

No doubt that was for Kara-1's benefit, since I doubt Truggs is paying much attention to him right now... What with having a small but very strong hand on his shoulder...

Magical concealment, of course. Too bad he didn't think to make it sound-proof...

Please, do. Heck, hold him by the ankle if you'd like. Once he's suitably restrained, then perhaps you might like to help patch up the road you smashed through? People have kind of a thing about casual collateral damage...

That was almost anti-climactic. :D But, what can you expect when a Silver-Age Kryptonian is involved? There's a reason a lot of the stories of that time were more comedic soap operas, simple puzzles or social challenges and less endless super-punching... At any rate, this is quite the find. Not just Truggs, but a whole stockpile of weird science stuff to take into custody. Bet the Light won't be smiling when they hear about this...

8. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He is arrogant.

That hasn't stopped Paul before.

Hah, good luck.

Either they didn't receive transmissions from Earth concerning homosexuality, or while her Krypton may have similar morality that America in the 50s had, they have nothing against homosexuals.

To quote Leonard from TBBT.

"He's extra special"

Paul can do it.

He owes her for catching this human shaped cold sore.

Every few months or years he just shows up.

9. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

If they're really lucky, they could find the Hero Dial, and then there goes the potential metahuman army for the Light.

Xmaster3000, Doccer, Ardy and 3 others like this.
  10. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I think Truggs may have had copies, but I'm not sure if I'm remembering it correctly.

Still, if he finds out that Truggs had it then he can at least know to be prepared.

11. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

Okay, now brand that fucker and interrogate him.

12. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

13. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

So... how about two or more versions of the Legion each fighting to make their future their canon one?

14. WereDragon

WereDragon Bookwyrm

At long last, Paul finally gets to squash this insignificant but persistent insect.

Xmaster3000 and Doccer like this.
  15. Mr Zoat

Okay, just watched the first episode of series 4. Why do they conflate 'lower caste' with 'racial minority'?

16. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I haven't watched season 4 yet, but I think reds are the least populous, greens the most, and whites in the middle. Since the reds are royalty, the only ones who can be discriminated against are the whites.

17. Mr Zoat

I haven't yet heard the numbers of each caste stated. Given that children of mixed colour heritage can be either colour, I'd assume that most of the population was green/white mix at this point and therefore the numbers would have to be about the same.

18. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

From what I understand, mixed marriages aren't common, so I would bet that numbers aren't really close to even for whites and greens.

Cuchulin and Xmaster3000 like this.
  19. Mr Zoat

Yes, but that's not common over thousands of years for a species where large families are normal. How many generations would someone check?

20. Zig

Zig Not too sore, are you?

Yes it's heavily implied that they all have some level of mixing and are just being really stupid with their racism.

21. LazySloth13

LazySloth13 Versed in the lewd.

I think most writers fall back on a common idea of racism; discrimination against some group for their appearance, using arbitrary logic/flawed science as to why a person's phenotypes determine what kind of person they are, and how it affects their living conditions in society. Not to mention its easier to understand martian racism when its just human racism with extra steps, plus its an easy source for drama since M'gann is technically a 'minority' who also is dating/marrying someone of a whole different species.

22. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

That's basically racism in a nutshell.

A very stupid thing.

23. Sorrow

Sorrow Getting sticky.

Its nice that Paul has such a good relationship with his Adversary

24. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

Key word there, Adversary. Not enemy, both have pretty much the same goal in mind just very different ways of going about it.

25. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Megan comes from a family with 27 kids from a mixed marriage and only two popped out white.

That does not imply roughly equal numbers, that suggests the majority of the time the children of a mixed marriage will be green.

26. crazygrox

crazygrox Versed in the lewd.

I looked up John Constantine again. His mother's maiden name is Quinn.
    So there's definitely something up with John Quinn.

Can't decide whether the guy is John's evil twin, or whether there's something weirder going on. Like John splitting himself in half and letting one half go order while the other went chaos. Or creating a golem or Jekyl/Hyde split or something.
    Not sure about the evil twin thing, The man is too helpful and honest to be an evil twin.
    Regardless, the Tower of Fate is one of the few areas where it's really really hard to find Constantine if the man is a prisoner.
    Not sure whether Paul has tried a quintessence waveform scan, but I'm not entirely sure that'd work on the tower either.

While I'm at it:
    Whatever happened to those Berrith Paul stabbed with the Sword?
    He stabbed a bunch of construct-Berrith and an Alpha. and supposedly the Sword turns things into baseline humans.
    I'm not sure what effect their atypical pack instincts would have on their behavior as humans, and I'm not sure whether they're resourceful enough to bootstrap themselves up from starting as baseline humans(what was their tech level again? and would any of the constructs have been engineers?), or even get together well enough to form a baseline gang, but one of them has practice using an orange power ring by drawing on the Avarice of a bunch of the others, and the others were constructs, and so might be even easier than normal for the Alpha to dominate.
    I sort of expect the Alpha to wait for an opportunity, then draw on the avarice of the whole group once they've got them together again to try and either call an unused Ring from somewhere, or rip a ring off the finger of some Orange Lantern Paul has visiting.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2021
  27. Michael Vonica

Michael Vonica Know what you're doing yet?

I posted about this a while go. My bets on John going the order half and chaos half route, with an end goal of fusing back in order to make a lord of balance, or something. It might also explain why we haven't seen demon Constantine. He could have been coopted for the process, seeing as how he already has half of Constantine's soul. Just replace all the demon parts of him with order (similar stuff has already happened, multiple times), tie him to the helmet of fate, and boom. You've got John Quinn. Timeline doesn't match up, though...

28. Threadmarks: Future Tense (part 12)
    Mr Zoat

13th September 2012
    09:23 GMT -5

"Yes, yes you can."

I generate a zeta tube construct and ping the system.

"Recognised, Overgirl, B two three."

I walk a little closer to him and smile.

"Hello, Nylor. Keeping busy I see."

"Khhhhrk. Khhhhrk."

"Oh, knock it off. Your neck's as tough as the rest of you, and she's from Krypton."

"Why am I here, criminal!?"

Nylor holds his arms out to the side, and I swiftly denude him of anything that looks even vaguely threatening. Nehru jacket, gone. Runic bracers, gone. Radio, gone. Radio implant, removed.

"Hey!"

"Recognised, Supergirl, B two zero."

Armoured undershirt, gone. Charms and pendants-

"Ow!"

-one of which heats up when a construct makes contact, reddening his skin where it touches.

"If by some dark miracle you're acquitted, all of your possessions will be returned to you."

"'Dark' miracle? I don't move in those circles. You look better when you're not fat and horny."

"Recognised, Kara Zor-El, A four five."

"Thank you. I definitely prefer the full beard you have now to the moustache you had when we first met."

New Kara turns her head and gives me a puzzled look.

"It's a British thing; full set or clean shaven and nothing in between. So Nylor, mind telling me what you were doing here, with special attention to anything that I need to stop while you are absent?"

"Ah, I plead the fifth?"

"You can do that, but I will warn you that it may harm your defence if you fail to mention when questioned something which you later rely on in court."

"Ah, pretty sure this is America."

"Well, they say that jurors shouldn't make any inference from someone pleading the fifth, but do you think that's what actually happens?"

I look over to where Angelika is investigating some… Slightly worrying looking cylinders. The outer casing is armoured and coating with runes both for evading detection and… The promotion of good health? The general design is worrying reminiscent of Kon's pod.

"Recognised, Supergirl, A six five."

"Overgirl?"

"You weren't joking about the Supergirls. Ah, or should I call them Superwomen?"

"I'm pretty sure that Overgirl is the only one out of her teens."

Noriel pauses in her study of Nylor's amulets to glare at me.

"Physically. Overgirl? Feel like becoming Overwoman?"

"I do not like what it would imply about my relationship with Overman. Also, I do not look old enough. Nillor Trugs, why do you have cloning tanks here?"

"They're not just cloning tanks." He tries to twist around, but New Kara has a firm grip. "You can do all kinds of biological research with those."

"Would you care to elaborate?"

"Biomods! I gotta make money somehow. So I was working out how to share my improvements with people."

"Are they occupied right now?"

"No. Okay, it's technically illegal t' do what I was doing with them, but I'm sure you've done worse."

"Much worse, but I have to say that in your case I'm minded to throw the book at you."

"Hey." Old Kara picks something up from a workbench. "Recognize this?"

"That's an H-dial."

Nylor slumps slightly in Kara' s grip. "That's the H-dial."

"Are you telling me that it didn't explode?"

"Of course it didn't explode. That was before you rewrote time. It had t' survive in the past for me to pick it up in the future."

New Kara looks at it in fascination.

"What does that do?"

"If you dial the letters 'H', 'E', 'R' and 'O' in that order, it gives you random superpowers."

"It completely reconfigures your body in a way which fits your requirement. You literally aren't you for a while. The last person I saw use it started as a man. When he changed he became a woman who was super strong and tough, could fly and throw lightning."

Nylor awkwardly nods. "Which is better than ninety percent of the powers it gives out. One time it turned me into an airing cupboard with a face."

Dana walks over to look at it. "What happens if you dial 'E' 'R' 'O'?"

Nylor looks away. "Absolutely nothing. And before you ask, 'R' 'O' 'E' doesn't make it fire a stream of fish eggs either. And 'H' 'E' 'R' doesn't turn you int' a woman."

"Good to know. Dana, is there any chance that the Legion will go away if we give that back to them?"

"How?" She shrugs. "You changed time, didn't you? Even if they went to the future, it wouldn't be their future, it would be your altered future. Unless you've changed your mind about losing."

"I'm still not convinced that I can change time like that, but… Okay. We could… Probably find a way to send them back to their future. I mean, it's effectively just another parallel universe at this point. Even if all we did was send them to their me-free now, they could just stick themselves in suspended animation for a few centuries until they reach their time."

"Ah." Nylor looks at me. "Or you could just use the H-dial. It always gets you something you can use."

"Excuse me for not taking anything you say on face value. Or using an already unreliable device that's spent months in your workshop."

"Of course. But you know I want the same things that you do, including not going back to my Earth."

"I wouldn't mind going back to my Earth. It has a great many problems I could fix very easily."

"T' stay?"

"No."

"Get the Legion people here, get one of them t' dial up a power and you're done. Can she put me down yet?"

Last edited: Jan 8, 2022
  29. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

That bracket should be removed.

Mr Zoat and moralrelativity like this.
  30. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

in she -> her
    delete [

threw -> throw
    needs a noun (such as 'device') after unreliable