1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

Most haven't seen supercalifragic expialidocious written down before. If you were writing a storyline with Mary Poppins would you have it spelled differently for every character that says it aloud but Mary Poppins?
    Until they've written it down there's no point in making note of them thinking it's spelled a certain way.

2. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

That's Renegade, Oh El just nuked the Light. Renegade reformed it, gave Circe Gohood and helped Sunset Shimmer become an alicorn.

Prince Charon and Xmaster3000 like this.
  3. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I don't know what you're trying to say with this.

When I said 'You kinda do' I was referring to the fact that Truggs works with a group that has members who can kinda perform dark miracles, like Satanus, Klarion, Boss Smiley and Circe.

Ngamer11 and Xmaster3000 like this.
  4. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Nehru.

Good on you, OL, those things are offensive in nature.

5. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

6. Gantradies

Gantradies Not too sore, are you?

You know,
    From a legal standpoint, Truggs might actually have difficulty getting a fair and unbiased trial- I mean, he’s a direct (or second tier at best) member of the Light- the deranged murder cult that Klarion the child-killer was a member of/essentially ran at one point- (which is exactly what I suspect people in-universe will assume it is when informed they were it’s most powerful member)he’s a former close “business” associate of the man responsible for one of modern humanity’s most traumatic experiences before the Sheda invasion-
    was he an active member at the time? Legit can’t remember, it’s been a while…

i rember OL repeatedly burning out his ability to make constructs from compassion+desire fatigue at the time, and the man did try to murder him… somewhere between two and four times- I don’t think OL’s being entirely unreasonable making sure he doesn’t smuggle an antimatter bomb into his cell or the like…

7. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

It'll never get to trial, Truggs has too much to offer the US Government in exchange.

So he'll be paperclipped and end up working at Darpa or something.

Gantradies likes this.
  8. transhumansage

transhumansage Versed in the lewd.

true. im not personally against harming someone like psycho but it would set a terrible precedent if someone got away with that.
    obviously this is terrible, but it is still a shame. he seems closest to Paul's temperament. a pretty chill dude, and he has a noble goal. maybe he'll change his mind about working with Paul this time.

Xmaster3000 likes this.
  9. Dakkan Sall

Dakkan Sall Random Encounter

He's pretty much set up as a twist on Paul's philosophy/intentions. Both want to improve Earth, both to prepare for future problems they know about (Paul from having read the comics on 'Earth Prime', Truggs from being from the future), as well as just improve things in general, but their methods and tools differ drastically. Paul has his Ring, which allows him more personal agency in affecting the world. He's also willing to take 'no' for an answer so long as it isn't blatantly self-destructive or going to affect people who are willing to accept his help.

Truggs, on the other hand, has less personal power, having to do things like his back alley enhancement clinic here, but much less restraint on what he's willing to do to achieve his goals. He'll work with criminals, steal, and so forth. And, as mentioned, willing to see people killed if he feels that they are keeping things that 'should' be actively used locked away for no reason.

10. Doccer

I just remembered something.
    A Star Trek novel I read once. Don't remember much just this one line in there.
    They came across some invading aliens that look like monsters from every local species old world legends.
    It was something about a warrior's doll of himself he carried. Some practice of carrying a doll of herbs of your likeness to throw into a pot of hot water to make a soup so the living can taste your life.

When they researched it one of the trio likened it to a Celtic practice their research showed them. Except the spelling was Seltic.
    Then one of the others said "Huh? No no. You say it with a harder 'c'. Like back in the old days. Like a 'k'. Keltic."
    Thought it was a very smart piece of literature. Showing how changes of speech and spelling can happen overtime and a future man with his eyes on other species and planets not his own like Kurt wouldn't know that.
    In written literature intentional misspellings are acceptable for spoken words when trying to get across accents or misspoken pronunciation.

11. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

There was an in universe planet called Selik that they might have conflated with it, word wise. The Setlik III massacre during the cardiassian-federation war was something that became 'front page' news for them I'm sure. A bit odd to have such things happen when you have a universal translator and a full library of human languages, but it'd be a bit strange to keep past revisions on file?

12. Doccer

Never heard of that.
    Don't know about that.
    It was Star Trek novel that where all these old timey monsters are actual species and apparently got booted off their planets by current sentient Alpha Quadrant species and now they are back.
    It opens with their method if space travel affecting E=mc² and everything AQ local gets shredded at high velocity upon arrival. They fix that after the first 2-3 tries before the main force arrives.
    That's all I remember. My copy is likely up stairs some where.

Xmaster3000 and Cuchulin like this.
  13. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

The aliens were called Furies if i remember correctly.

Xmaster3000, Vorian and Doccer like this.
  14. Threadmarks: Future Tense (part 13)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

13th September 2012
    09:32 GMT -5

"So what was up with the Sheeda?"

Nylor face-shrugs, his bindings making his shoulders immobile.

"I don't know. I never heard of them."

"Really? Because they seemed like a big deal. Even if Earth fought off the Harrowing Fleet, there would have been a lot of casualties. And it would have certainly influenced the Earth's reactions to the Reach."

Nylor sags as far as his bonds will allow him.

"You're forgetting something. What do the Sheeda want?"

"Raw material, food, slaves, a sense of superiority..." I nod. "If they looked back in time and saw a world devastated by the Reach, they wouldn't bother coming back."

"Bingo. Not t' this era. Maybe I should find a way t' warn Thanagar."

Huh.

"Was that us?"

"More you than me. You did a whole lot more t' improve things than I managed."

With his protective charms gone Nylor can't stop me looking into his soul. And… He's more prideful than I am, but it's easier to be angry at historical figures who created a situation when you don't know them personally. When you aren't aware of the difficulties they were dealing with, or how they actually felt about what happened. For him, teaming up with Vandal Savage or Lex Luthor would be like me teaming up with Blackbeard or Cecil Rhodes. Or raging at Karadeg for not doing a better job of fighting off the Romans.

"I mean, I woulda if I could… Not like I was planning on not being important enough t' change history."

For a moment I think about trying to encourage him. Given how long he can expect to live, a few decades in prison are nothing that he can't manage. And given Ms. Waller's moves to enable prisoners to work off their debts to society, it wouldn't be that bad. And then I remember the murders he's implicated in, and what are most likely others he's committed as well. And the one he actually confessed to, of the Japanese collector he killed to take the first Bozo.

Japan has the death penalty, but that's usually reserved for serial killers. If he only murdered one person, he'd be realistically looking at a thirty year stretch… Though diplomatic pressure could result in him serving it in Belle Reve.

"You didn't know about Klarion, right?"

"That he was deranged? Sure, but I don't make policy."

"That he was planning to murder that many children."

"I got told that I should prepare to get a hold of Starro's tissue samples while everyone was 'distracted'. I thought they were going t' call in a bomb threat."

I raise my eyebrows, looking unimpressed.

"Supervillain bomb threat. I mean, Gotham. Not what actually happened. Say, what's the chance of me getting the deal yah gave the big grey guy?"

"Remember when you said that if you'd known about me before you sided with the Light, you'd have picked me?"

He nods.

"That's the deal you'd have got if you'd changed sides then. Finish your sentence and we'll talk."

"You ever think that a retributive system of justice might not be all it's set up t' be?"

"I know it's not. But I do believe in the efficacy of retribution. You should have at least sent the superheroes of this era a message, Nylor."

"Yeah." He nods. "I think you're right. Might not of done anything, but at least I could tell yah I tried. I tell yah, I was spitting jealous when I found out what you were doing with magic."

"The Reach not into magic?"

"Couldn't use it on most of the worlds they moved humans to. Which meant they thought it was useless. What's your plan for getting around that restriction?"

"Study the Dream and work out how to make it connect to other places more intensely. Mother of Mercy gave me a vision where we.. had a thing called a Root of Yggdrasil which maintained an artificial connection, but I don't know whether those can actually exist or not."

"Was it actually a root of Yggdrasil, or was that just a brand name?"

"Brand name. It was actually a complex piece of thaumic engineering. I've got Venturia researching it now, but it will probably be decades before we get anywhere."

"And then, magic everywhere. No aliens are going to be ready for that."

"A few will be. Earth's not the only place with a magic tradition."

"But no one will be on our level."

"Yes, that's the-."

The floor explodes next to me! I see a brief blur of blue and red through the concrete dust before red light lashes out-

Armour!

-and scythes through Nylor's equipment.

"Someone, report!"

There's a bang as New Kara hits one of the cylinders and crumples it to wreckage as she keeps going, her impact being absorbed by the second cylinder.

"You do not bear the mark!"

Ah. Another Supergirl. Blue miniskirt and long-sleeved halter top with red cape. Her eyes glow red, her teeth are.. weirdly distended and there's a red 'S' burned into her forehead. The skin on her legs and hands appears to be cracking up to reveal a red light glowing from within.

"Nylor?"

"What, yah thought I was going t' come quietly?"

I glance-. He's causing the skin on his forehead to bioluminesce an 'S'.

Noriel and Angelika fly up through the hole, Angelika tanking zombie Supergirl's heat vision and metabolising it.

"No mark!"

Zombie Supergirl blurs forwards, striking Angelika on the side of the head before dipping under Noriel and punching her in the stomach!

"You're just compounding your-"

The zombie fires heat vision directly into Noriel's eyes-.

"Ah!"

-before backhanding her, sending her spinning into the ground, cratering the concrete. But with that heat vision boost Angelika's moving faster, fly-kicking zombie Supergirl directly in the kidneys and unlike the zombie she knows not to let up. Rather than kick and retreat she keeps on, shoving her target into and then through the wall!

"-problem."

"Ah, am I? How many Supergirls did you start with again?"

Last edited: Nov 10, 2021
  15. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I'm quickly getting tired of this smug asshole. I hope the Legion takes him away already.

16. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

They may have a better shot at defending themselves compared to the other people the Sheeda raided.

'humans to'

17. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Oh Nylor.

For a moment I was ready to sorta forgive him,because I remembered that to him the people he killed were long dead victims of the atrocities he tried to prevent.

Then he pulls of a stunt like that.

18. Massgamer

Massgamer I trust you know where the happy button is?

This is why no one likes Truggs, he can't get over himself at all and when he sees a chance to personally get ahead he takes it. For all that he says he is all about working towards a better future he has no problem benefiting it from it and avoiding punishment whenever he can.

19. hance1986

hance1986 A pitiful excuse for a man.

' humans '

' know '

20. JackTheRipper457

JackTheRipper457 Getting some practice in, huh?

I am tired of him personally, he just makes the story worse

21. Doccer

Never heard of that Zombiegirl.
    I get the link going to a pic titled physicssaywhut? But what is the reference of the pic itself?

22. hance1986

hance1986 A pitiful excuse for a man.

I'm not strictly tired of Nylor Truggs? He's a could have been kind of counterpart to Paul's ways in my view. His ego and the fact that he feels too close to things like the Reach exploitation of Earth to be objective and succeed on a wider scale are interesting flaws. I liked him earlier when he was first introduced and him being a novel enemy to Paul and blindsiding Paul with tactics and schizotech. Looking back on it I liked him best during the New Year's arc with him and the shadow creature and the mercenaries and the Bozo robots.

There might be something to the feeling that Truggs has gone for too long without a conclusion. A little. Paul's actions and his impact on others mean the Reach don't have a foothold on Earth. The same drive of a desperate time traveler looking to cross every line and work with the bad guys because shit needed to get done and there was no choice feels like it fizzled out a bit.

23. crazygrox

crazygrox Versed in the lewd.

I actually kind of like him, though mostly because superhero stories really need nemeses to play out the full range of character interactions.

Now I'm wondering how many Supergirls Nylor has. I'm worried it might be more than five.

24. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Where'd that picture of unholy abomination Supergirl come from? Is that Matrix?

The Lovecraftian Justice League from Seven Caskets look better than that.

25. Gazing Eye

Gazing Eye Compound, Lidless, Always Watching.

I've always kind of liked Nylor.

He's fun! :p

Last edited: Nov 10, 2021
    Gilhelmi, Caerwen, kerleth and 5 others like this.
  26. Ciber

Ciber Know what you're doing yet?

Step 1: Take Nylor away from earth beyond the thaumosphere so that any magic escape teleport tricks he might have are neutralized.

27. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Not something in his historical records, I bet. Which means they likely never attacked in his timeline. I mean, given how much history gets lost simply because of time...

Even in this age, with information as spread out as it is, things will get forgotten or confused. Just look at pop culture's tendency towards reboots with the same name...

And what would make them consider Trugg's timeline to not be worth attacking, hmm?

And say what? "Hey, just so ya know, Humanity's future descendants come a-raiding every so often. Might not want to annex the place, yeah?" They'd laugh at him, then shoot him, and then laugh more.

Joy of not working with self-centred lunatics and maniacs. The Light would only improve things if they got to be in charge, after all...

And then he met them, and decided 'eh, this is fine' while setting his house on fire...

Meh, his ego would get in the way of any possibility of cooperation. Toss him in jail, monitor him, and if he's feeling a little more community-minded when he gets out, then look him up.

Given his enhancements, he's probably resistant to most forms of execution that people would use anyway.

To be fair, you didn't think he'd do the things he did either, did you? Assimilating Teekl was an act of opportunity to beat a threat...

I doubt they'd sweat over any conventional threat. And... Big grey guy? Not ringing any bells, outside of... Ah, wait! Lantern Xor! Right. No way are you getting a ring, boy-o.

You made your bed, Truggs, now you get to lay in it. And you chose to lay down with mad dogs... No crying when you get up with fleas.

At least, one that couldn't be read as villainous posturing, anyway.

Evidently they didn't improve any in the centuries between the current war and Trugg's era.

Now that's a callback. And a nice sense of rightness, using an idea from a dream to draw the Dreaming forth.

Or some clever researcher could find himself having a daydream that provides that 'A-Ha!' moment. It all depends on how Dream feels about the plan.

Though most of them don't have the firehose of mana that Earth has. They've had to make do with a mere garden hose.

Oh, hell! Was Truggs just stalling?!

Don't tell me, he's got a Bizarro.

Though I suspect that's the only damage done, Silver Age Kryptonian and all...

Well, this is a surprise. I have no idea where she's from, but the art looks decidedly late-90's or early-2000's. I see a Bat there as well...

Yep, the asshole was stalling. Presumably he got a message off while Kara-1 was kicking in the door, and the result is only just arriving...

Ooh, I spy some Torquasm Rao. For reference, that's a Kryptonian Martial Art which supposedly lets the user tell Physics to shut up, sit down and hold their beer.

Presumably following some programmed command related to the 'S' symbol. Let's hope it doesn't get out of hand.

Ow. I hope she's resistant to heat and flame... Otherwise she's gonna be out of the fight until she recovers her vision...

Looks like Angelika's got things handled for now.

Enough to kick anyone's arse, especially since they include a Silver Age Kryptonian. While we haven't seen the extent of her abilities yet, I suspect Kara-1 will be able to settle things quickly... Once she pries herself out of the wreckage...

So, something of Trugg's personal collection, or aid sent by one of his allies in the Light? At any rate, I suppose it'll fall to the Supergirls to handle it while OL continues to mind Truggs. It evidently has a narc on for them anyway. Though I would not be surprised if simply painting the mark of El on their foreheads would make it shut down.

Double Space.

28. lancelot

lancelot Grand High Poobah

Fucking Brand him already! On anyone else who was this much a threat Paul wouldn't hesitate to brand him the moment he could and ask him nicely to disarm his fall back plans and tell him exactly what he thinks he is doing.

29. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

Quick, duplicate that bioluminesent brand!

mossconfig likes this.
  30. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Unless they choose to ho with decapitation.

I thought he was talking about that Kobra Venom enhanced guy that worked with Bane, but yeah, Xor makes more sense.

Angelikaused it when she met Time Trapoer.

He trapped her in some time bubble and she used her martial arts skill to escape it.

She was also teaching it to Kon, Match and Clark.

Truggs had it appear on his forehead, so it could work.

Ardy and Chojin Patriarch like this.