1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Kara 16 did give a reason for why that.

She's from a Silver Age universe.

It wouldn't be surprising if Kryptonian scientists from there could have observed alternate universe Kryptonians and discovered that piece of information.

2. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Do you remember the conclusion from that discussion, though? The resolution was that there are degrees of similarity and that OL's ring AI was able to work out the necessary local variant.

3. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

If Silver Age Kara wanted to kill or otherwise harm Paragon, and Zoat has her with the actual Silver Age Kryptonian abilities, there's nothing Paragon could do to stop her.

So really there would be no point in going about things in a deceptive manner.

transhumansage and Ngamer11 like this.
  4. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

He already coped with that issue. You are years out of date apparently.

Xmaster3000, Prince Charon and Vorian like this.
  5. crazygrox

crazygrox Versed in the lewd.

You want to know what's suspicious: she was calling herself Supergirl straight out of her pod.
    That's not a name that should be intuitive to someone who came straight from Krypton.

We all accepted it because that's how it worked in the comics, but in a more-examined setting where people have reasons to do things she probably has some prior exposure to earth culture to make her name herself that.

6. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

She also knew what Nazis were and immediately wanted to be a superhero even though that's exclusively an Earth thing.

7. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

That one isn't all that crazy actually.

In the classic comics Jor-El was able to use a supercomputer to see what Big Blue's future would be like, and he chose Earth just because it was the one suitable planet he could find where Kal would actually be happy (at least in one version of the mainline Silver Age universe, you know how comics can get with reinventing a hero's backstory), and Kara-1 could have just seen a part of that prediction and known that he would call himself Superman.

Still more than a bit suspicious, but that could easily be what Zoat (and maybe even the original author of the comic he took the line from) is going for here.

8. Gantradies

Gantradies Not too sore, are you?

I mean, it WAS a pretty sucky thing to do…

9. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

It was mentioned that Kara saw videos from Earth, which may have included her cousin and other Earth things, like hippies, Nazis etc., and that's how she knows these things.

10. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

She saw how earth was before Krypton exploded, so in her parallel she likely saw world War II era earth. That still doesn't mean she calling herself super girl isn't weird as fuck...

Could be ambush bug level shenanigans or Super Boy Prime being pissed because of the changes mandated/time trapper did means the constantly spawning alternative realities means he will never run out of realities to shatter during his temper tantrum.

11. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

Do antimagic chains in your story not work on actual magicians?
    What with their magic and themselves being inside the chains.

Because normally you'd think anti-magic chains would work be suppressing magic of whatever is chained up.
    Or even just suppressing magic in their immediate vicinity in general, and them being shaped like chains, manacles, or other bondage gear is just to keep someone in the area of effect from casting them away. And also letting them do double duty restraining their non magical physique as well.

Your 'doesn't work on stuff inside empowering stuff inside' just sounds dumb.
    You should have gone with a 'no limits fallacy' where just because some suppressive magic item has a suppressive effect, doesn't mean it is strong enough to arbitrarily suppress anything. With the magic of Fates helmet stronger the the suppressive of most any anti-magic chains.

And also, that OL did in fact have Fate chained up in chains at one point, and it seems to have worked.
    And instead of trying to remove the helmet then, removed the chains when Wonder Woman ordered him to.

Unfortunate counterpoint.
    By accusing Zoat of every thing they can think of under the sun, and then turning over rock to search for more things to throw at him, they are mathneticially guaranteed to be right some of the time, if only due the the sheer volume of complaints they make. Even if each individual gripe only has 0.005 (0.5%) chance of being valid, the fact they make on average at least two complaints per daily story post makes being right at least a couple times rather unsurprising.

Telling the valid complaints from the spurious ones can be difficult because of the terrible signal : noise ratio, but that doesn't mean they are always wrong.

Xmaster3000, Ardy and Vorian like this.
  12. Michael Vonica

Michael Vonica Know what you're doing yet?

Zatanna tried to. It didn't work.

13. Clell65619

Clell65619 Making the rounds.

Pre Crisis Kara had different powers than Pre Crisis Clark as well.

Remember Clark had 'half' his powers sucked away from him by Quarmer the Sand Superman, when the entire arc was finished Superman was officially half as powerful as he had been (the birth of the Bronze Age)

Granted following writers started ignoring this depowering, but it was the official editorial policy that Supes was at half power. There wasn't a Sand Supergirl, so she was officially more powerful.

Xmaster3000 and Cuchulin like this.
  14. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Anti-magic and power suppression are two separate, mostly-unrelated things. Most metahuman powers aren't magic, and most magic isn't metahuman.

15. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

She also probably saw Clark being Superman and decided that she wanted to join him and became Supergirl.

Xmaster3000 and Cuchulin like this.
  16. Threadmarks: Future Tense (part 19)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

13th September 2012
    10:11 GMT -5

I look at the place where Nylor Truggs used to be.

"Kara, please explain to me where Nylor Truggs is?"

"'Poof'."

"Poof?"

"He was sitting there, then 'poof', there was a cloud, and when it vanished he was gone."

"Kara, your visual enhancements-."

"Super vision!"

"If you had supervision, today would be rather different. Could you see what happened inside the cloud?"

She nods. "'P-'."

"Don’t say 'poof'."

"But that's what happennnnned!"

"Am I to understand that you were unable to see through the smoke?"

"Yeah, it was really weird. I've been able to see through almost everything since I got hey!" She suddenly frowns. "What do you mean, 'if I had supervision'?"

I glance over to where Lantern Stewart is loading Demon Supergirl into a S.T.A.R. Labs metahuman ambulance. She hasn't woken up yet, though her wounds are less horrendous.

"I've been to parallel universes before. I didn't have any problem with the kryptonians not being compatible with my kryptonite samples."

She keeps frowning. "What do you mean, 'problem'? Kryptonite is super nasty."

"Fighting kryptonians is also s-. A rather difficult prospect, and not every parallel has someone as… Well-meaning as Kal-El Sixteen. And sometimes they have a Kal-El who is mind controlled. Or who isn't in possession of all the facts. And if it's necessary to fight Superman, I'd rather have something I know will turn off their powers without causing lasting harm rather than-."

"Turn him into a super ant?" She nods. "I understand."

"Given what happened to Kara, I was thinking more along the lines of 'turn him evil'. Kara, you didn't know that our kryptonite didn't affect you."

"Did too!"

"How? Did you at some point test samples of kryptonite on samples of your tissue?"

"N… No?"

"Are-?" I can barely believe that I'm about to say this. "Are you asking me or telling me?"

"I'm… Telling, but it's kryptonite."

"No, Kara. You just told me that kryptonite from one parallel doesn't work on kryptonians from another. That means that either kryptonians from one parallel are different to kryptonians from another, or kryptonite is. Which means that what I call 'kryptonite' and what you call 'kryptonite' might well be completely different crystals."

"Well…" She looks at the ground, swinging her right leg backwards and forwards. "But I didn't have any problem."

"Can you see through yourself?"

She frowns, this time in confusion rather than irritation. "Huh?"

"Kryptonite is still radioactive, even if it doesn't have any exotic effect on you. Can you examine yourself in sufficient detail that you know for a fact that it hasn't done something to you?"

Her eyes widen. "Have I got super-cancer?!"

"I don't know. I can't scan your interior. I wouldn't have thought so; kryptonite radiation is only weakly penetrative. But I don't know so, so please, a little more caution in future where no one's life is on the line?"

She nods. "Okay."

"Thank you. I don't suppose that you can hear Truggs, can you?"

She shakes her head. "I don't think he'd pick up the phone again."

"Not without hands, no."

"You know what I mean. That's something we can only do once."

"Yeah. And we still don't know why you're all here."

Angelika looks around from guarding Old Kara, frowning as she does so. "We don't know that? I thought that it was Nylor Truggs using the Hero Dial."

"The H-Dial alters the user to give them powers useful to their situation. Can you think of a situation where 'summon Supergirl' would be the simplest solution?"

"I cannot think of a situation where 'turn into a vacuum cleaner person' would be the simplest solution. It happened anyway." She shrugs. "I guess a power that lets you summon Supergirls is the simplest solution when you really need a Supergirl."

"No. I mean, the escape thing looks like it happened when Noriel turned off Dana's H-Dial transformation, so I assume that he just modified the Dial with an escape clause. But he didn't even have the Dial when Noriel merged with Linda."

Angelika looks thoughtful. "But it was before I arrived, yes?"

"Yes."

"And it was before Noriel formally took on the Supergirl name?"

"Yes." I nod. "But we have no idea when demon Supergirl arrived, and... It shouldn't work. We've had planeshift barriers up for longer than that-."

"Unless the H-Dial is sufficiently cleverer than us. It did not stop me, and it did not stop Krona."

"Yeah." I sigh. "Well, we've got the Dial, and we can study it. We can look at everything Truggs had here. And we can probably get rid of any members of the Legion still in this era."

Kara nods, looking concerned.

"Is demon-me going to be okay?"

"I'll call Ambrose Bierce. He's had experience in helping people who've been touched by demon magic. We can use gold kryptonite to remove her resilience and fix her teeth-"

"Unless she's from a parallel universe where it doesn't work."

"-and-. Yes." I look around, pick up some of her tooth remnants and expose them to gold kryptonite radiation. Try to crush-. Yes. "It works, so that will handle the physical problem. She can recover psychologically. I'm more worried about Kara. I… Don't know how long black kryptonite lasts."

Last edited: Nov 17, 2021
  17. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Crap, looks like Chojin was right.

Looks like Circe was there.

Older comics were weird as hell.

'that our'

Hey, that's your fault, orange boy.

Really hoping it isn't permanent.

One crazy, murderous Kara is enough.

18. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Untill you stock the good and evil Kara back together.

TopHatWearer and Cuchulin like this.
  19. HearthBorn

HearthBorn Know what you're doing yet?

With Super glue?

20. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

:mad: Oh, pick up that phone, I effing called it! I'm guessing one of the Light's wizards collected him.Though how they knew he was in trouble... Does the facility have any internal surveillance? Damn, why didn't OL think to check for that? He could find a backtrace to another Light safehouse...

And no, I don't think they're quoting the British/Australian slang for homosexual. Definitely a scry-and-summon gig. Circe, I bet.

Or, you know, super-speed? She could have grabbed him the second she realised the teleportation was forming... But no, she let him get away because that's how it works, isn't it? :rolleyes: You know, the bad guy slips away in the confusion, or disappears into a deathtrap or deep hole... Heck, the Joker pulled it in one of his earliest appearances.

:cool: Ooh, burn. Glad to see OL's not in such a bad mood he can't quip.

Yeah, some folks would find it kind of offensive. Though honestly, they'd also find you adorable.

Man, she has never felt more of a kid than this point. :D I can just hear that plaintive whine.

...For someone potentially faster than thought, she's kind of slow on picking things up, huh? Guess that's why she didn't think to grab Truggs... And at least that poor Supergirl will be getting some help.

...Maybe it worked on them because they were from related parallels? But Kara-1 is apparently the Pre-Crisis version, with different mechanics for Kryptonite...

And that is not the weirdest transformation Red Kryptonite caused. 'Lost invulnerability over one side of his body'? :confused: What even...

Did not. OL can keep this up all day, Kara. He doesn't even have to be the one talking.

To be fair, if she really is the original sixties Supergirl, that sort of thing would have been really advanced science for the time. At least, using cloned samples of tissue...

Ah, simple reasoning for a simpler age.

Yet. Who knows what reaction this world's isotopes might have. It might not do anything exotic to you, except affect you the same way it does humans... Indeed, in one or two continuities, Krypton is basically Future Earth and Jor-El's rocket travelled through time, and Kryptonians were super-advanced humans after a million years of genetic enhancements.

I mean... Does Superman x-ray himself all that often?

I mean, it's not like there's not ways to fix that, even if a tumour does something weird. And yes, that has happened in the comics. Another time, the Atom led a team inside Superman's body to destroy a super-cancer tumour...

Be glad no-one died. More than one hero has learned a hard lesson that way.

Yeah, I think he's learned his lesson about talking to OL on the phone... I.E. Don't.

Oh, she gets that, but not things like 'don't handle radioactive crystals bare-handed'? It's like she's selectively genre-savvy... And it's the wrong genre.

...Why? What possible reason could he have for doing this?

Unfortunately, I doubt Truggs would ever want a Supergirl. At least, not in any way she'd go along with. :oops:

I mean, the Noriel thing was partly OL's fault anyway. He was the one who shanked her with the Sword of the Fallen...

You're still seeing a link that probably isn't there.

...True, the dial is kind of stupid powerful. Given at least one version steals powers and forms from supers in alternate realities...

She's not you, Kara. She's more likely a post-crisis Supergirl.

Worst case, keep her confined under Red Sunlight until she detoxes?

Well, this has been a day, I suppose. We can but hope that Kara-16 flushes the Black-K radiation out of her system sooner rather than later. Otherwise, Kal-El might be a little upset about things. Surely the Lor-Zod Har-zod program can help on that front? And they still don't know where these Supergirls are all coming from. And OL still needs to track down the other Legionnaires... :p So much for a few days off.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2021
  21. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

It was probably Circe, since we've seen her with him.

Unless the spell would have prevented something like that, or by the time she realized what happened it was too late.

And Paul may honestly be one, since he's bi.

Hey, that's far from weird.

Radiation can cause nerve damage and weaken parts of the body, so that's one of the saner changes.

The Red Son universe, to anyone who doesn't know what universe he's referring to.

This may be difficult for him to do, since he loves gloating.

To gain access to Kryptonians to study.

I think you mean Har-Zod, since aside from Jor-El, he's the only other Kryptonian AI.

22. transhumansage

transhumansage Versed in the lewd.

23. jasonh23761

jasonh23761 Not too sore, are you?

Kara, please contain the calamity that is your mammaries.

24. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

25. rkyeun

rkyeun Cabbitus Maximus

Santa is real in this continuity, right?
    H-O-H-O-H-O
    Santa knows where all the naughty people are. He can take you to Truggs.

26. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

That may not be such a good idea.

Santa in DC isn't always a nice guy.

There was an omake where Constantine didn't want to tell Zatanna what happened with him, so it's safe to assume that he's either dead, or isn't such a good guy.

27. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I think he's referring to the time he smoked the dusted skeletal remains of the historical or fictional saint who some assume to be one of the basis for Santa Claus.

28. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

Nope; I knew that. I also know your sense of "this makes it funnier" apparently needs a lube oil filter service. :)

Sigh, I think.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2021
  29. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I think it may have been something else.

In a Lobo comic I think Santa was basically a slave owner that kept his elves starved, so maybe it was about that.

Though on a side note I had no idea John did that, yet I can easily imagine him going that.

Well at least we know that Kipling isn't the only amoral, alcoholic British magician that put the remains of a dead guy in their mouth.

For Kipling it was Michelangelo's ashes, and for Constantine it was the bones of Saint Nicholas.

I just hope he used it for a spell, like Kipling did to shield that kid, instead of just smoking them for the sake of smoking, which I can totally see hom doing.

30. jaelin910

jaelin910 habitual lurker

Unless, of course, black kryptonite turns them evil without splitting them in two here, right? Because that would be far from unprecedented and would match what we've seen so far quite well... but when have little things like those ever stopped you?