1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Soul Shocker

Soul Shocker Not too sore, are you?

Hmm, is there any reason why Paul can't go to hell and catch himself a few pokemon hellwraith?
    Hell, get a few more glutton demon and breed them

2. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

That was a Green Arrow comic.
    Training.

3. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

When he lost it, I mentioned that he might be able to just buy a new hellwraith from Mammon. As for the Praexis Demons, Paul mentioned that they weren't useful for his big fights anymore.

4. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

Any idea which one?

Cuchulin and moralrelativity like this.
  5. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He also mentioned that they could potentially be used to harm him using demon magic.

6. Mr Zoat

City Walls.

Edit: I've moved the scenes with Overman back a year.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2021
  7. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

Eh, if it works...worked for Sinestro. The Yellow Lantern Corps wouldn't be such a long problem if it didn't.

8. quietwhile

quietwhile Getting out there.

I'm thinking this will back fire tremendously. Didn't the ability to convert people into constructs come with some sort of feedback into his own soul or something?

What are the odds that while Nabu couldn't draw magic from order/chaos/ambience he might be able to do something to prepare for assimilation like some sort of Trojan horse? OL did blabber enough to give him a sense of what was happening..

9. FourthPear

FourthPear Frequent Flier.

10. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Dude Oh El is literally a mini greed snake of orange light on a human body, his soul cannot be made more out of Greed if he wanted to.

Also he came back from being a Demon, he will be fine.

11. crazygrox

crazygrox Versed in the lewd.

This makes me think that demonNabu is no longer a lord of order, but possibly also a lord of chaos, in addition to being demon-corrupted.

12. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

The fact that he could still use what appeared to be Order magic may point to him still being a Lord of Order, not Chaos.

Though he could potentially use Chaos magic since we know that at least Nabu 16 had some records on how to use one magic while being a Lord of the opposite magic, but before the Hell on Earth thing he may not have used it.

And he may not be a demon or demon corrupted like that version of Kara, but he may have just gone insane.

13. Sojiko

Sojiko Getting sticky.

Just a couple of days ago, as I was reading episodes where Paul works with Teekl and Fatty, I thought that it was a real shame that he almost didn't have any construct lantern left.
    "I sure hope that he'll be getting a new one to keep company to Hellwraith soon!"

And then this.

Why is Paul borderline pleased to see that it got destroyed? It was actually useful from time to time!

Anyways, let's hope that Paul will get some replacements during this demon invasion.

Well, that went even better than I had hoped!

14. Silverias

Silverias Know what you're doing yet?

Because it's a thoroughly unpleasant creature used for thoroughly unpleasant ends.

Useful, but distasteful.

15. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

This reminds me of an Inza Dr Fate storyline.

Inza was not powered by order, a Lord of Chaos hijacked the signal.

When she fought said Lord of Chaos, he oddly enough didn't deign to empower her to fight him.

So Nabu taught Inza how to tap into the collective souls of humanity as an alternate power source.

16. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

So... You're saying you want to lose Kara by enslaving a sentient being in front of her?

Cuchulin and Doccer like this.
  17. jasonh23761

jasonh23761 Not too sore, are you?

A handy guide for dimension travelling in DC.

1.) Find Nabu's helmet
    2.) Chuck it into the sun
    3.) ???
    4.) Profit

This handy guide was brought to you by the Cult of the Orange Snake.

ChestBurster, Ngamer11 and crazygrox like this.
  18. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I wouldn't say he was pleased as much as just thinking of something that you'd say if something like that had died.

Though don't do it if the version you encounter isn't someone that forces or intimidates innocent people into wearing the Helm, since then you'd potentially be killing an innocent being and depriving the world of his protection.

19. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

I think that was something about how his eater Gluttony demon things from before were used to piggyback an attack on him. So it's why he did go to hell to get more of them. Whatever they were called, I forget.

Cuchulin likes this.
  20. crazygrox

crazygrox Versed in the lewd.

In an alternate reality where chaos mages are usually good and order ones usually evil, that could happen more often.
    Similarly it'd happen more often if the dominant mortal source-worshipping society was anarchist and the demon was still torturing mortals to gain power/doing evil from mortal perspective.

There's probably a thaumically active anarchist world like that somewhere in this universe's galaxy.
    I'm wondering whether he blocked that because it would have damaged the demonic corruption on him.
    Guess we'll never know, because Paul isn't especially motivated to try it again.

Also it was disturbing and enlightening to realize this nabu convinced the guy to put on the helmet by tricking him into believing he could save his son from his already fataly melted face by doing so.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
  21. Threadmarks: Past Participant (part 9)
    Mr Zoat

16th September 2012
    18:52 GMT

Dr. Balewa cautiously studies the construct helmet.

"I can not feel anything of the demonic about it. Are you well, Mister Brown?"

"I don't-? I mean, what do you mean? This thing just… Killed my son. Of course I-. I'm not… 'Well'."

With the helmet being a construct, I can just about see his face through the translucent orange. He's clearly distraught, but now that the immediate danger has passed at least the yellow has receded a little.

"Are you seeing visions? Are you in pain?"

"No. No, he hasn't said anything or done anything since…" Mike glances at me. "Since Orange Lantern did this." He looks around Dr. Balewa's workshop in the Hall of Justice. "Can I-? Take it off? I mean, no disrespect or anything, but I don't wanna… Wanna be here."

Dr. Balewa raises his eyebrows at me. "Orange Lantern?"

"I.. don't know. I mean, there's not normally a problem with removing Construct-Lanterns from things, but I don't know what magic Nabu is using to keep himself anchored."

"Can you not order him to end it?"

"Only if he can end it. If it's part of the mechanism that allows him to bind himself to people, that won't help. And I'll have to order him to tell us."

"I am heppy to research at length, but Mister Brown wishes to return to his family, and we have urgent matters to attend to."

"Mike, do you mind me waking him up a little?"

"Just… Get it off."

"Nabu of Cilia, can you be removed safely?"

"No."

"No what?"

"No... Master."

"Can that state of affairs be changed by magics known to you?"

"There are… Rituals. Rites. Vitality transfer techniques. But my magics are embedded in the body and soul of my host. It is supposed to be hard to remove me. Master."

"Can you be hidden?"

"Hidden?"

"Made completely transparent and intangible, made so that people don’t notice that you're there, or anything like that?"

"I… Can, yes."

"Explain in more detail."

"I am a being of spirit bound to an energy construct. This form is malleable in certain ways."

"Any side effects for the person wearing you or those around them?"

"Any halfway competent magician would feel my presence. And you appear to have-" Mike's turns his head to look at Dr. Balewa. "-those."

"Less of your lip, Nabu. Are you able to perform these alterations yourself?"

"No. I require use of my host."

"Then I'm afraid that's the best we can do for now, Mike. Obviously we'll keep working-."

"Where did this bastard even come from?"

"A parallel universe where Earth is ruled by demons. We intend to prevent-."

"What-? That's what it was showing me?"

"Probably."

"And they're coming here? Oh God."

I shake my head. "I wouldn't worry about it. We're trained for this sort of situation, and while it would be helpful to have access to Nabu here, we can probably manage without him."

"Shit. Ah, but… He could..? Could help?"

"He lived in their world. He knows what they're likely to be able to throw at us. Or… Just what you saw. I appreciate that you've had an extremely traumatic experience and you have my utmost sympathy, so once Nabu hides himself I can take you right back to-."

"But they're… They're still coming."

"Unless we ward them off or attack them" I nod. "Yes, probably. But this is hardly the first time we've been attacked by demons or parallel universes. That contribution-."

"Shit, man, the Sheeda killed like a billion people!"

"Of course, if you would like to contribute, Doctor Mist is the best person you could describe what you saw to. The more we learn about their magic, the easier it will be for us to counter it."

"Then I've got to, haven't I?" He shrugs helplessly. "Ask whatever you want, Doc. Telling you… That's the least I can do."

Dr. Balewa nods. "I would appreciate thet. Orange Lantern, will Nabu remain obedient in your absence?"

"Yes." I lean over and put my right hand on Mike's left shoulder. "This is a good thing you're doing, Mike, and we really appreciate it."

"Just get those bastards for me."

"Can do."

I raise my left hand to my forehead and

step out, returning

16th September 2012
    12:55 GMT -6

to the material universe above Liberty. Kara is comforting Mike's wife and their other two children, but there is only so much you can do when they've just seen their son and brother… Melt.

"Kara, Mike's fine and he's sharing what he learned. We can make Nabu invisible, but getting rid of him's going to be a longer term thing. I'm-."

My ring flashes.

"New job. Answer."

"Orange Lantern."

I smile faintly. "Green Arrow. What can I do for you?"

"Remember what happened before Overgirl showed up? We're picking up those signals again."

"Where?"

"Hamburg. I don’t know-."

"Nazi Earth has a major physics research institution there. We might be getting intentional visitors. I'll grab Angelika now."

Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
  22. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

We finally get the pay off on the Nazi Earth chapters. Also, Doctor Mist's quotation marks aren't colored white like they're supposed to be.

23. NameOrdane

NameOrdane Lurker: The Socially Awkward

Question: does the Ophidian gain all the memories of construct Lanterns (through the Honden or something else)? If so, is it automatic or require direct attention?

Because if she does gain memories, Ophidian just got a lot of useful magical knowledge.

24. Ciber

Ciber Know what you're doing yet?

I'm kinda hopin OL gives his counterpart the option to leave Naziland.

Finerc, Vorian, ChestBurster and 14 others like this.
  25. sagemo

sagemo Yearning for better fics

Good going Mike, glad to see that despite everything, he's able to focus on protecting his remaining family. I'm very excited for the Nazi Earth visitors.

26. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Unless this is a weird accent thing it would be 'happy'

Either 'Mike's head turns' or 'Mike turns his head'

Neat chapter all around though, interesting to see a Construct Lantern with so much personality. Does me a bit of a frighten about the possibility of him having more than just that left over, but we'll see how it plays out.

Relyt33, Ardy, Alexandercctv and 5 others like this.
  27. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Doctor Mist just talks that way. Mr Zoat usually spells Batman as Batmen or Betman when he says it, I can't remember which.

Vorian, ChestBurster, Relyt33 and 5 others like this.
  28. jaelin910

jaelin910 habitual lurker

It's a weird accent thing.
    Or maybe 'Mike's head is turned'

29. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'Are you in pain'

I'm assuming that this is hyperbole, but how many did they really kill?

Why am I getting the feeling that this guy may become a magical superhero.

Looks like we may be seeing Overman soon.

Or this isn't him but the other Nazis.

Wouldn't be surprising if some of them figured out how to replicate the portal that brought Angelika over.

Assuming Freeman wants to.

He may want to stay behind to help make Nazi Earth less Nazi.

Paul may help him get his ring back and give him a Lantern, though.

30. Mastigos2

Mastigos2 Versed in the lewd.

I'm pretty sure the Ophidian already has basically all the useful magical knowledge. Every avaricious desire to understand a spell is within her Honden.